Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,703 members, 7,809,672 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (4271 Views)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites / Developing A Professional Bluetooth Instant Chat Messenger With Java (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2013
Lately, I've been having so much free time basically doing nothing(apart from school). So I thought to myself, "this boy! do something that would maybe help you and Nairalanders connect more. You nor dey shame? Your GitHub account dry like desert". After thinking for a while, I've decided to build us a ticker (just like the one we see on our Facebook homepage). At the moment, I am interested in the implementation of these features:

- Track activities of user such as (post liked, post created and posts read)
- A simple chat system

However, there is no way I could do this easily without the big boss providing APIs. That is why this app will be a chrome extension.

I'll be posting new versions of the app as I add new features. The project would be on GitHub for those who would like to contribute.

Moderator: Please don't move this to webmasters section just yet. Some features I haven't yet mentioned would require general programming methodology

EDIT

The project is up on GitHub: https://github.com/ncodes/DockX.git
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by pyguru: 9:24pm On Mar 10, 2013
hmmm
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 9:29pm On Mar 10, 2013
pyguru:
hmmm
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 12:53am On Mar 11, 2013
i like your idea bro, but it all depends on "someone", seen so many forums asking for NL API, and i think i know how this might play out, how's aptech ?
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 2:14am On Mar 11, 2013
pc guru: i like your idea bro, but it all depends on "someone", seen so many forums asking for NL API, and i think i know how this might play out, how's aptech ?

Bro! Long time, Judging from one of your posts, It's save to say you are already in Middlesex grin. Aptech is fine, I cannot wait to get out smiley. Regarding Oga's API, we all know how it will play out if the app needed it(ofcourse it does..but wetin we go do?). but I think I could manage to use some "clever" ways. But, it wouldn't be a straight forward approach.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 4:32am On Mar 12, 2013
Currently working on the login/registration script. I did not mention that I am using [url=nodejs.org]Node.js[/url] and MongoDB at the backend.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 2:46pm On Mar 13, 2013
Adding the very basic chat feature. Nothing fancy

Note: The usernames in the image are just placeholders for now

Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Javanian: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2013
Can you explain in detail the concept of what you just did and how it works?? Try and carry us along...
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by PrinceNN(m): 3:37pm On Mar 13, 2013
interesting...subscribing....
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 3:58pm On Mar 13, 2013
Javanian: Can you explain in detail the concept of what you just did and how it works?? Try and carry us along...

You can explore the source here: https://github.com/ncodes/DockX.git

Like I said in my previous post. The application is a chrome extension, that is, you have to download the app and install on your browser. If you want to know
more about chrome extension development, see here.

A chrome extension has the ability to insert scripts (content script) on any page. So I added a script that would run on all Nairaland pages.

So what does this script do?

1. It adds some html to the current page. The html contains an iframe that loads a remote web page.
2. The script informs the background page/script (there is always a background page for every chrome extension) to authenticate the current
user by sending a session cookie to the server. (there is a separate page for log in). If the user is logged in, great!
else the user has to login (a redirect occurs)

When the script adds the ticker markup on the page, the iframe loads a page that just finds all logged in Nairaland users.

if there is anything specific you'd like to know, please let me know...
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Javanian: 4:11pm On Mar 13, 2013
Nice! But even if 'we all know who' should provide an API in the dream world, what of the non chrome users?? i dont even have chrome on my P.C.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 4:18pm On Mar 13, 2013
Javanian: Nice! But even if 'we all know who' should provide an API in the dream world, what of the non chrome users?? i dont even have chrome on my P.C.

That's the drawback with extensions/addons, they are not cross-platform. A firefox equivalent would be developed (that is if people embrace this one)
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by lordZOUGA(m): 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2013
Javanian: i dont even have chrome on my P.C.
blasphemy

3 Likes

Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by lordZOUGA(m): 4:32pm On Mar 13, 2013
worldbest:

That's the drawback with extensions/addons, they are not cross-platform. A firefox equivalent would be developed (that is if people embrace this one)
of course people will embrace it. it would be nicer if you implement the simple chat successfully which I don't think will be a problem since you can get the list of those online
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 4:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
lordZOUGA:
of course people will embrace it. it would be nicer if you implement the simple chat successfully which I don't think will be a problem since you can get the list of those online

Yes, its quite easy to do that. The similarity with Facebook chat means that anyone who has used FB's chat already knows how to use the app.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Javanian: 5:00pm On Mar 13, 2013
lordZOUGA:
blasphemy

how??

@worldbest rather than wait till forever for a why dont we create a mini social networking site. Nothing complex. A register page, login page, home/profile page. So we will have total control of what we are doing
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by lordZOUGA(m): 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
Javanian:

how??
you said that you don't have chrome
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by lordZOUGA(m): 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
worldbest:

Yes, its quite easy to do that. The similarity with Facebook chat means that anyone who has used FB's chat already knows how to use the app.
carry on boss... I am looking forward to using this

1 Like

Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Javanian: 5:10pm On Mar 13, 2013
lordZOUGA:
you said that you don't have chrome

errrrm but its possible now grin
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 5:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
Javanian:

how??

@worldbest rather than wait till forever for a why dont we create a mini social networking site. Nothing complex. A register page, login page, home/profile page. So we will have total control of what we are doing

That's a nice idea. I thought about that and may do it in the future. But I don't think its best to start developing a full social network right away. We can still add features periodically to make the app more social till it gets to a stage were we can call it a social network.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 5:21pm On Mar 13, 2013
lordZOUGA:
carry on boss... I am looking forward to using this

Thanks smiley
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by AZeD1(m): 11:06pm On Mar 14, 2013
worldbest:

Thanks smiley
Carry on boss...i'll be following it closely.

How do you intend to implement the chat?
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 12:44pm On Mar 15, 2013
A-ZeD:

Carry on boss...i'll be following it closely.

How do you intend to implement the chat?

Its quite simple like any other IM application. There is a server that handles requests and a client(the app). The actual chat would be done on the pages of Nairaland. So, just like the facebook chat, you can continue to read posts and chat on same page.

I'm getting close to completing the chat feature. The first version (which would be released before or on monday) will only let you chat. Other versions will come with improvements on the chat and then the notification feature will follow.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by AZeD1(m): 1:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
worldbest:

Its quite simple like any other IM application. There is a server that handles requests and a client(the app). The actual chat would be done on the pages of Nairaland. So, just like the facebook chat, you can continue to read posts and chat on same page.

I'm getting close to completing the chat feature. The first version (which would be released before or on monday) will only let you chat. Other versions will come with improvements on the chat and then the notification feature will follow.
I'm not sure i get you. You say the actual chat would done on the pages of nairaland. I want to know how that would work.
Are you going to implement a chat server that everyone who logs on to nairaland connects to?
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 15, 2013
i like the concept alot,because i hate refreshing NL to see new comments, that's so Old-skool, wink big-ups for joining NodeJs,can you use Nodejs for chrome extensions ?
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by AZeD1(m): 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2013
pc guru: i like the concept alot,because i hate refreshing NL to see new comments, that's so Old-skool, wink big-ups for joining NodeJs,can you use Nodejs for chrome extensions ?
Funny thing is a simple line of javascript can make nairaland auto refresh on its own.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 1:52pm On Mar 15, 2013
A-ZeD:

I'm not sure i get you. You say the actual chat would done on the pages of nairaland. I want to know how that would work.
Are you going to implement a chat server that everyone who logs on to nairaland connects to?

Oh sorry, what I meant was that chat widgets/box will appear on every Nairaland page just as how one can continue a conversation on any facebook page. I am working on the chat server but not everyone who logs on Nairaland would be connected (until they install the app).
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
pc guru: i like the concept alot,because i hate refreshing NL to see new comments, that's so Old-skool, wink big-ups for joining NodeJs,can you use Nodejs for chrome extensions ?

I so love node.js mehn cheesy Node.js can't be used to develop chrome extension. Its just for server related programming (asynchronous).
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 15, 2013
i use expressjs alot feels cool to me
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 2:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
pc guru: i use expressjs alot feels cool to me

Yes me too. Express simplicity made me put PHP on the sideline
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Fayimora(m): 9:13am On Mar 16, 2013

Hey man, good stuff.. However, it seems to me like you haven't considered an important factor, privacy! Do people really want to get tracked? I think for this to be successful, you are going to need to collaborate with Seun first. I'm sorry but this is really a serious breach of privacy and if you have been keeping up to date with recent events around the world, you'd know how serious this can get

@pc_guru Node is not just for the web. Node is used to build web network applications. I use node for a command line tool I built sometime last year.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK / Let's Develop A Content Management System (CMS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.