Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland (4280 Views)

Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites / Developing A Professional Bluetooth Instant Chat Messenger With Java (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 10:05am On Mar 16, 2013
Fayimora:
Hey man, good stuff.. However, it seems to me like you haven't considered an important factor, privacy! Do people really want to get tracked? I think for this to be successful, you are going to need to collaborate with Seun first. I'm sorry but this is really a serious breach of privacy and if you have been keeping up to date with recent events around the world, you'd know how serious this can get

@pc_guru Node is not just for the web. Node is used to build web network applications. I use node for a command line tool I built sometime last year.

Yes, you are so on point. The privacy of users needs to be respected. For example, I would not want my activities on certain sections of Nairaland tracked and broadcasted. Users would be able to edit a privacy settings that gives the app certain permissions like sections/boards to ignore, specific topics to ignore, ability to prevent all/some users from getting your notification and other relevant privacy variables. As for the chat feature, the only privacy control I can think of at the moment is the ability to turn of chat for all or certain users.

Thanks for bringing this up.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 16, 2013
@Fayimora oh yes that i know very much, i use Node on Ubuntu for creating Dojo Build Scripts, to be frank i feel more comfy using Node for CLI than Web,because i use PHP for CLI, but am not that strong in Node but thanks for that.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Fayimora(m): 6:41pm On Mar 16, 2013
I'm glad you understand @worldbest wink

@pc_guru didn't know humans still used PHP in this century lol
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by InesQor(m): 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2013
Fayimora: I'm glad you understand @worldbest wink

@pc_guru didn't know humans still used PHP in this century lol

PHP is old, no doubt, and it's rather slow on the uptake. But it really doesn't deserve one tenth of the slander you guys always lavish on it.

@OP: This is brilliant! I would gladly fork and collaborate with you but my Node.js is fundamental at it's best!

And, I agree that you should add a privacy setting, and allow users to block others from seeing them online or viewing their realtime activities.

First level of the filter: maybe use the "followers" list. Second level, you can Allow or Deny some users from seeing you online or viewing your activities.

Kudos, My eyes are on this one! smiley

b
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 9:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
InesQor:

PHP is old, no doubt, and it's rather slow on the uptake. But it really doesn't deserve one tenth of the slander you guys always lavish on it.

@OP: This is brilliant! I would gladly fork and collaborate with you but my Node.js is fundamental at it's best!

And, I agree that you should add a privacy setting, and allow users to block others from seeing them online or viewing their realtime activities.

First level of the filter: maybe use the "followers" list. Second level, you can Allow or Deny some users from seeing you online or viewing your activities.

Kudos, My eyes are on this one! smiley

b

Thanks bro, would be glad to have more contributors. Your suggestion on how to implement privacy is exactly what I have in mind. The first(beta) version will come with only chat, no concept of followers and privacy. But they will come in subsequent versions. I am adopting the Lean development methodology.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Idowuogbo(f): 9:37pm On Mar 16, 2013
Interesting...
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Orpelin: 10:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
after so much call & appeal for NL app, seems we are getting there now.

Pls where would be chat "contents" logs resides? Dont let it be in members profile file on NL but individual email address.
Also, strive & make the app as lite as possible.
Pls dont forget the mobile version of the app, very very far important than...
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Coldish: 12:04am On Mar 17, 2013
smiley
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 12:10am On Mar 17, 2013
Orpelin: after so much call & appeal for NL app, seems we are getting there now.

Pls where would be chat "contents" logs resides? Dont let it be in members profile file on NL but individual email address.
Also, strive & make the app as lite as possible.
Pls dont forget the mobile version of the app, very very far important than...

Chat logs/notification would be shown in the notification/ticker panel. It will be visible to some people(depending on privacy settings). The app has no way of modifying NL's contents. Mobile version ?...if evrything goes well, SURE!
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 4:48am On Mar 17, 2013
@Fayimora i don't want to deviate from this topic, but recently i have been feeling the need to make a jump to other languages, i do try C# / Nodejs from time to time, but what i can say, PHP puts money in my pocket for now.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by dpuzo: 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2013
For me i think you should start something new instead of tryin to add to nairaland or atleast get proper permission and get an api. Nairaland is ok the way it is, a forum. You can even send personal message if thats your problem. Too many features on a site is not good and in the end you lose the core feature just see facebook, always adding and removing features and now its boring. Just my opinion sha.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Coldish: 4:01pm On Mar 17, 2013
dpuzo: For me i think you should start something new instead of tryin to add to nairaland or atleast get proper permission and get an api. Nairaland is ok the way it is, a forum. You can even send personal message if thats your problem. Too many features on a site is not good and in the end you lose the core feature just see facebook, always adding and removing features and now its boring. Just my opinion sha.

I understand you. Nobody is adding anything to Nairaland.If you are not using the extension, you won't get any extended features the app provides.Nairaland's core is not affected. I think this is something new even though the features that I am working own are not new or innovative. There are other ideas I would be exploring but first I need to create a sort of platform to test stuffs and see users reactions.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 4:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
Sorry, @coldish is my other id (I rarely use it)
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by jacob05(m): 6:15pm On Mar 17, 2013
subscribing..
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
And where is Seun in all of this. grin
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by dpuzo: 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
Coldish:

I understand you. Nobody is adding anything to Nairaland.If you are not using the extension, you won't get any extended features the app provides.Nairaland's core is not affected. I think this is something new even though the features that I am working own are not new or innovative. There are other ideas I would be exploring but first I need to create a sort of platform to test stuffs and see users reactions.

ok
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 5:19pm On Mar 18, 2013
Had some setback while working on the conversation bar (the place where open conversations show up). I kind of thought it was so simple and but my own implementation was so unstable. Sometimes new conversation don't show up, sometimes they do but are hidden and some other behaviours. Right now, I am reimplementing it more carefully. Hope to complete it tonight when I get home.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2013
I think the chat thingy should work with people you're connected with I.e people you follow and who follow you back and not just people you follow or those following you because then you will be having privacy issues.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 5:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Brand_new: I think the chat thingy should work with people you're connected with I.e people you follow and who follow you back and not just people you follow or those following you because then you will be having privacy issues.

Right now, I want to keep it simple. Everybody would see everyone online until a followership feature is added. Like I said in my post, the first version will lack a lot of necessary features. But they would be added over time.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 18, 2013
worldbest:

Right now, I want to keep it simple. Everybody would see everyone online until a followership feature is added. Like I said in my post, the first version will lack a lot of necessary features. But they would be added over time.
Did you consider the fact that there could be several hundreds or even thousands of Nairaland members online at the same time?
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Coldish: 7:27pm On Mar 18, 2013
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 7:34pm On Mar 18, 2013
Brand_new:
Did you consider the fact that there could be several hundreds or even thousands of Nairaland members online at the same time?

Yep, There would be a limit to the number of conversations you can have opened (totally not the best idea, but just a temporary measure to prevent people from getting overwhelmed). You would be able to turn chat off so no one can see you online. Nothing in the first version will be permanent.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Allenbaba(m): 8:47pm On Mar 18, 2013
worldbest:

Yep, There would be a limit to the number of conversations you can have opened (totally not the best idea, but just a temporary measure to prevent people from getting overwhelmed). You would be able to turn chat off so no one can see you online. Nothing in the first version will be permanent.

I sent you a request on YIM
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 11:43pm On Mar 18, 2013
Allenbaba:

I sent you a request on YIM

I no longer use or have access to that account
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by kennikazi(m): 10:44am On Aug 20, 2013
whr did everybody go?? where is the app
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 1:19pm On Aug 20, 2013
As usually, I get bored and stop working on stuffs and then find some probably lame reasons to justify it. Here are the reasons

1. Something else came up :p
2. Everyone is going mobile. Social plugins don't work there
3. Bad project management skills
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by kennikazi(m): 2:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
worldbest: As usually, I get bored and stop working on stuffs and then find some probably lame reasons to justify it. Here are the reasons

1. Something else came up :p
2. Everyone is going mobile. Social plugins don't work there
3. Bad project management skills
lol...u cud hav made real kool cash selling it to Seun if the project wz a success. buh u got bored #smh
ermm...u learn programming in sch or outside sch??if out side sch, hw'd u gt startd??
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Ajibel(m): 11:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
Nau i know why u got me involved in d current one. No room for boredom dis time around cuz i'd be all over u grin grin
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 7:33am On Aug 21, 2013
kennikazi:
lol...u cud hav made real kool cash selling it to Seun if the project wz a success. buh u got bored #smh
ermm...u learn programming in sch or outside sch??if out side sch, hw'd u gt startd??

I taught myself programming. I started with C#. Back then I wanted to create a game like FIFA and an antivirus. I thought it was easy. I read a lot of tutorials and books, I never used videos like we all do now. Google has been good to me.
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by worldbest(m): 7:41am On Aug 21, 2013
Ajibel: Nau i know why u got me involved in d current one. No room for boredom dis time around cuz i'd be all over u grin grin

Yes, Since I lack the ability to remain focused I had to involve you guys. I know my shortcomings and I try to find ways to fix them.

1 Like

Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Coldish: 8:29am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Developing A Facebook-like Ticker For Nairaland by Kidstell: 4:30pm On Aug 21, 2013
worldbest:

Bro! Long time, Judging from one of your posts, It's save to say you are already in Middlesex grin. Aptech is fine, I cannot wait to get out smiley. Regarding Oga's API, we all know how it will play out if the app needed it(ofcourse it does..but wetin we go do?). but I think I could manage to use some "clever" ways. But, it wouldn't be a straight forward approach.
that would make the application more vast. It may be a tough algorithm but bound to work on other site. Just try to make it flexible

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Let's Develop A Content Management System (CMS) / Catch The Thief - Nigeria's First 3D Game On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.