Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) (3217 Views)

Help:my Brother's Car Has Bin Seized By Custom Officials. / See What Lagos Fuel Scarcity Made This Poor Man Do / My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Hunter(m): 12:29pm On May 07, 2006
On saturday night while my brother was driving to work he had to slow down because a car in front of him was turning into a driveway and another car hit the back of his car which knocked him into the UTE in front.
Causing significant body work damage (car is insured so it's not too bad I suppose, and he's ok)
Anyways thought I would share the pictures with fellow nairaland peeps

Front of my brothers car

Back of my brothers car

Car that hit the back of my brothers car

Car that my brothers car was knocked into

The car that hit the back of my brothers car had to be towed (radiatior was broken along with some other stuff by the looks of things)

My brothers car is a 2003 holden commodore
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Seun(m): 1:58am On May 08, 2006
Thanks for sharing.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by kajad(m): 7:39am On May 08, 2006
Thank God He's ok! The poor car can be fixed.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Hunter(m): 1:15pm On May 08, 2006
yeah he's fine which is good I suppose

Going into the repair shop on thursday to be repaired under insurance so it's all good :-)
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by lauryn(f): 3:55pm On May 28, 2006
@ Seun
laugh my f*cking ass off
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Seun(m): 3:59pm On May 28, 2006
Lauryn, don't you agree with me that the this car looks rather cute when you view it from a certain angle? It seems to be turning its nose up at us!
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by lauryn(f): 4:03pm On May 28, 2006
Seun, yup, it does look cute. Ur reply was quite funny to me. Thanx for sharing[.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Hunter(m): 8:19am On May 31, 2006
the car is back all repaired and good as new :-)

I'll take some pictures again when I can be bothered tongue
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by lukkie(m): 12:31am On Jun 22, 2006
holden commodore!!!

av ne'er heard of dat brand b4. is dat an australian brand?
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Hunter(m): 2:06am On Jun 22, 2006
yep australian cheesy

Nice big family car (which incidently my brother doesn't have tongue)
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
lukkie:

holden commodore!!!
av ne'er heard of dat brand b4. is dat an australian brand?

A late response, but still. . .

Holden's the Australian equivalent of Britain's Vauxhall, and Europe's Opel.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by chelseabmw(m): 5:47am On Jul 07, 2010
old post
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 07, 2010
chelseabmw:

old post

Yes, it's an old post, hence I stated so in my response. Still, it's information that wasn't supplied then, and useful to others today.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 8:11am On Jul 07, 2010
@ Siena,
I know I can always rely on you on professional advice per automobiles.

RPM of my 1.6ltr Bora is between 600-700. The engine goes off when AC is switched on except when in motion. It also overheats when AC is used in hot weather for sometime. My mechanic says the top gasket is weak need to be replaced and that is will require engine dismantling. Pls what do you advice?
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 8:37am On Jul 07, 2010
I bought this car after it was parked for about 7 months without being driven. My mechanic was able to detect fuel pump & spark plugs issue and got it fixed after I bought it last month. It drives fine and I have been using it without any issue. The onlyh problem is that it requires acceleration when ignition is turned on before it can start and I cant use a car in this hot weather without AC.
My mechanic is good with my 98 toyota but I dont know how good he is with VW. He assured me he can fix it.
Pls let me know what you think.
Many thanks.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by delimit(m): 9:57am On Jul 07, 2010
did u asked the guy that sold it 4 u why he parked it for so long?let me be sincere with u bora & passat are too expensive to maintain.two of my friends uses bora and passat each.the passat is just 23000km,just to tell u how new the car is but this guy parked it now,waiting for who to buy it because of the problem associated with it.am very sure, you buy it cheap.pls get a good mechanic for it otherwise that will be a source of money drain
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 10:38am On Jul 07, 2010
delimit:

did u asked the guy that sold it 4 u why he parked it for so long?

It was an official car for a bank. The owner bought it from the bank where he works. Owner could not continue driving it home because the road to his newly built house is rough and always flooded. He got an SUV and decided to sell out. It was parked for long due to high price placed on it but I bought it when the amount was drastically reduced.

delimit:

let me be sincere with u bora & passat are too expensive to maintain.two of my friends uses bora and passat each.the passat is just 23000km,just to tell u how new the car is but this guy parked it now,waiting for who to buy it because of the problem associated with it.

@bolded,
Everybody says that, including my mechanic but I am yet to witness it.

Anyway, my mechanic confirmed the engine is still OK. I still observe vapour coming out from the tailpipe in the morning. The engine is still sound at 150000k and I have done additional 18000k without any issue.

Thanks for your input anyway.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2010
John 3:16:

@ Siena,
I know I can always rely on you on professional advice per automobiles.

RPM of my 1.6ltr Bora is between 600-700. The engine goes off when AC is switched on except when in motion. It also overheats when AC is used in hot weather for sometime. My mechanic says the top gasket is weak need to be replaced and that is will require engine dismantling. Pls what do you advice?

Sounds like you've got two seperate issues.

First, the idle speed's way too low, it should idle between 825 - 900 rpm for an automatic (I presume it's an auto). The idle speed is not adjustable, it's controlled directly by the ECU, via the stepper motor in the throttle body (1,595 and 1,984cc 8V engines). If it's cutting out when you switch on your air con, then your throttle body will need to be adapted via diagnostic equipment. The function of the stepper motor in the throttle body is too advance the ignition curve, thus the idle speed, when any external load is placed on the engine (aircon compressor, power steering pump etc. If it's too low, you won't get enough advance to keep the engine running when extra loads are placed upon it.

The over heating issue could be caused by a number of things.

1) Incorrect ignition timing.
2) Blown head gasket.
3) Faulty thermostat.
4) Faulty water pump.
5) Faulty fan.
6) Faulty fan thermo switch.

As for your mechanic saying replacement of the cylinder head gasket requires an engine strip down, he's talking a load of b****cks. If he knows what he's doing, it takes just over an hour to remove the cylinder head on an 8V motor. Besides, has he conducted a compression test, sniffer test to determine if the head gasket is indeed at fault, or is he just guessing?
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2010
Thanks a bunch Sienna. It’s got manual tranny. I'm not a fan of auto transmissions. The first time I noticed the overheating was when I ran into a flood and the fan relay (or whatever it’s called) got damaged which eventually stopped the two fans from working. I have to force the car to work amidst heavy traffic hoping that the cold weather will prevent overheating problems until I noticed hot vapor coming out from the hood. I stopped instantly, got an electrician who changed the relay, fixed the fans and refilled the water reservoir. Once in a while, I do notice the reservoir getting dried up though I have not witnessed the dryness in recent time.

Temperature light also blinks (with sound alarm) the moment I start the car the light continues to blink while driving and sometimes stop after 2 or 3 hours of driving. This was noticed after the flood incident and till date.

I will need to take it for a diagnostic tests this weekend. Its the most fuel efficient car I have used and the performance is great so I need to keep it. Will also appreciate if you can recommend a good VW auto technician in Lagos. I don’t trust my mechanic with VW’s.

Thanks once again for your time.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 9:23am On Jul 08, 2010
Siena:

First, the idle speed's way too low, it should idle between 825 - 900 rpm for an automatic (I presume it's an auto). The idle speed is not adjustable, it's controlled directly by the ECU, via the stepper motor in the throttle body (1,595 and 1,984cc 8V engines). If it's cutting out when you switch on your air con, then your throttle body will need to be adapted via diagnostic equipment. The function of the stepper motor in the throttle body is too advance the ignition curve, thus the idle speed, when any external load is placed on the engine (aircon compressor, power steering pump etc. If it's too low, you won't get enough advance to keep the engine running when extra loads are placed upon it.

The over heating issue could be caused by a number of things.

1) Incorrect ignition timing.
2) Blown head gasket.
3) Faulty thermostat.
4) Faulty water pump.
5) Faulty fan.
6) Faulty fan thermo switch.

As for your mechanic saying replacement of the cylinder head gasket requires an engine strip down, he's talking a load of b****cks. If he knows what he's doing, it takes just over an hour to remove the cylinder head on an 8V motor. Besides, has he conducted a compression test, sniffer test to determine if the head gasket is indeed at fault, or is he just guessing?

. . .and my mechanic says he will need to strip part of the engine to adjust/ increase the idle speed. More reason why I need a good vw mechanic.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2010
John 3:16:

. . .and my mechanic says he will need to strip part of the engine to adjust/ increase the idle speed. More reason why I need a good vw mechanic.

Now I know your mechanic's trying to fleece you of your hard-earned money! There's no idle speed adjustment possible on the Volkswagen Bora. The idle speed is ignition / PWM based (pulse width modulation), and adjustment is only possible via the OBD port, with an appropriate diagnostic tool. It would take less than 5 minutes, the bonnet doesn't even need to be opened.
Re: My Brother's Poor Car :'( (Plus Pictures) by John3161(m): 9:00am On Jul 09, 2010
Many thanks for your time Sienna. May the Lord Bless you REAL GOOOOOD!!

(1) (Reply)

Good News For Modern Car Owners / Mercedes AC Advice Needed / Cars45 Or Jiji , Which Is Better For Buying A Good Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.