Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,822 members, 7,851,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:14 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (162) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489480 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 7:03pm On Jun 27, 2013
Welcome back bro, i never knew you were behind NL bars, i thought you're busy studying for TOEFL.

About the sponsor's issue....you're good to go bro but always remember the KISS rule.

@Wabiwabi: this type of attitude has driven lot of gurus out of the house.

you dont have to comment on every post if you dont have anything good to say. Mind your purpose and be a good boi. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2013
gr8ever: Welcome back bro, i never knew you were behind NL bars, i thought you're busy studying for TOEFL.

About the sponsor's issue....you're good to go bro but always remember the KISS rule.

@Wabiwabi: this type of attitude has driven lot of gurus out of the house.

you dont have to comment on every post if you dont have anything good to say. Mind your purpose and be a good boi. Thanks.

Boss, I appreciate.. Dont mind that scumbag (wabi)..
I'm preparing 4 Toefl n 1st semester (200level) as well, m doing alotta of work..
See you on top brot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dammypearl003: 7:17pm On Jun 27, 2013
would i be able to write any of the test before july 5 whch is my interview date, what if i get a test waiver from the school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2013
dammypearl003: would i be able to write any of the test before july 5 whch is my interview date, what if i get a test waiver from the school?

Bro, it is advisable to do at least. I repeat at least a test for the embassy sake..
Im also an applicant in Mankato n they dnt require SAT and TOEFL but im writing TOEFL to be on a safe side..
Its too soon to sit for a test now.. Just go to da interview like that n give a gud reason why u didnt apart from the dont require it chant..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dammypearl003: 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2013
thanks, but tha's a ig concern, i am trusting God to be favoured inspite of how thngs looks now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2013
@dammypearl003, you don't have to get any letter otherwise the VO will be mad at you! Go register for TOEFL or IELTS and take any of the tests and reschedule your appointment. If you think it's not okay then you go with what you have. But I wouldn't be glad if you're denied a visa. Information is absolutely vital.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 27, 2013
dammypearl003: thanks, but tha's a ig concern, i am trusting God to be favoured inspite of how thngs looks now.

Bro, go get ur visa.. Its urs.. See u in mankato very soon..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by teejayGO01: 7:56pm On Jun 27, 2013
LONG POST DON'T QUOTE

Hey guys, first and foremost I give all the glory to God for His faithfulness and His mercy.

I really want to thank all of u that commented and helped me one way or the other when I had my denial last month. Special thanks goes to Shoggie ( only God can repay u for me, till today he has always been checking up) Ojap ( your call made a big diff, God bless u) and to imperioxx( ur testimony was an inspiration) Bigfrancis21 n others thanks for the encouragement when I wanted to give up.

To any1 that has ever posted a ques here or their interview experience etc thanks a whole lot! I'm grateful

My interview was for 10:30 ( sebi u have noticed this 10:30 trend and success hmmm) I got der by 10:25 they had already called them in I was like 15th to last.

While I was waiting for my name/num to be called I witnessed other f1 visas and all the ones I witnessed were approved. But one particular one left me in shock.

A girl came for f1 visa and she made so many blunders in my mind I was saying they have already denied her, her english wasn't so good( who am I to judge abi) she didn't write any test and wen d vo asked her how much does ur sponspr make ( which was her mum) she said she doesn't know that her mum doesn't tell her, me I was like huh? Then she now said she has her statement, the vo said u have her statement but u dnt know how much she makes? She said her mums sells trinkets n accessories, the vo typed for like 5mins and approved her visa!! I was in shock , na juju the girl use ni? If u see the way she was saying thank u she nearly knelt down.lol

Now to me all the vos were female today except the chinese man who was switching btw vo n thumb print. Didn't want him to call me cos e dey deny everyone.

The miracle started from the fact that I went with the same statements I went with the last time I was denied, no change @ all no cover letter from d bank, no letter of support just ordinary stamped bank statement( no take this risk if u dnt have the faith to carry it)

Vo: are u....?
Me: yeh hello
Vo: y r u goint to d us
Me: for my grad studies @...
Vo: what r u gonna study:
Me:told her
Vo:Why?
Me: told my KISS story with passion
Vo: pls pass me ur admission letter and proof of finance ( note she didn't ask who my sponsor was) and also pass evidence of the scholarship u received
Me: passed bank docs n admission letter
Vo: (used 2 seconds to flip thru bank statement and gave me back while checkin something on her wall)
Vo: where's the evidence of scholarship?
Me: its in an email I didn't print it, buts its on the i-20
Vo: awwww ok
Vo: so is this ur mums statement
Me: no my aunt
Vo: so y is she sponsoring u?
Me: told her
Vo: what does she do?
Vo: looks @ her system for like 7 mins all the while telling me to hold on that's she's coming
the 7 mins seemed like 7 hrs I was just praying,
Vo: what did u do for undergrad?
Vo: ok ur visa has been approved
Me: thank u thank u
Vo: u will pick it @ apapa
Me: apapa? I thot it was ikeja
Vo: no we have changed our contractors no more ikeja
Me: apapa is far for me( see me I don collect visa finish I dey complain)
Vo: u can call this number they can help u out
Me: ok thank u I like ur scarf ( she had a beautiful scarf around her neck)
Vo: thank u!

ALL THE GLORY BE TO GOD!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 8:10pm On Jun 27, 2013
[/b][b] wink ;DFirst and foremost before I post anything on my Visa experience, I everybdy in the house BIG THANK YOU, especially one vixen in the house,'obirin merin fun rara e'(four strong women sandwiched into one), @VirginIce of life. She was there all through. Some pple are blessing not only to their generation but also generations to come, @Bigfrancis, @HippochaiAppachai, @Ibkgboko, and @JohnFidelia are examples of those.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by StFrank2(m): 8:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

All the bolded above are the mistakes you made. I'll explain further.

1) First bolded: you didn't write any standardized test. And the reason you gave for it was inappropriate. The VOs know very well that not all universities in their home country do ask for SAT/GRE/TOEFL/GMAT for admission. Yet these VOs keep asking every student for a standardized exam. Why do you think this is so? The VOs have been trained to infer that any student who takes pains to register, read and write any standardized test is a serious student, irrespective of whether his/her school requires it or not. That is how they've been trained and they do just that. Please, to you and other members in the house, if your school didn't require any standardized exam for admission, please write at least TOEF or SAT (for UG) or TOEFL or GRE/GMAT (for post graduate). Write, at least, one standardized exam! It indicates your seriousness to study. If you're running away from writing a standardized exam, how else can you prove to the VO that you're a serious student??

If you must not write any standardized exam, come up with cogent reasons why you didn't write any. The usual my-school-did-not-require-it reason is a useless reason and will fail to work for you flatly as you'd see during the interview. Reasons such as, 'I took A level courses at so-university (if going for UG) and because of my performance my school waived the SAT requirement' is an excellent reason to give. For masters, saying that 'I did some post graduate courses in my proposed master's field for 6/12months at yyy university and because of my performance my school waived the GRE/GMAT for me' is a better reason to give. If you're banking on getting an exemption letter from your school saying they did not ask you for TOEFL/SAT/GRE etc and presenting it to the VO as your alibi, I'm sorry for you. You're heading for denial.

2) That was another error you made during your interview. Your mentioned course of study differed from what was on the I-20 and this also served to impress on the VO that you're not a serious student and that your actual intent of going to America is not to study but to escape the country. In other words, you're a potential immigrant. In your next interview, mention exactly what's written on your I-20, for consistency's sake.

3) You made another big mistake there by mentioning you applied to only one school. Mentioning you applied only to one school is a big no-no to the VOs. They've been trained to infer that students who applied to only one school are unserious but applying to as many as 3/4/5 schools indicates that the student is serious about studying. I'm sorry, but that's how they've been trained. And to get your visa, you'll have to dance to their music. In your next interview, when asked this question you mention you applied to 3 or 4 universities. The next question will be your number of accepts and rejects, please mention 2 accepts 1 reject (if 3 is the total) or 3 accepts 1 reject (if 4 is the total). They believe that if you have more accepts than rejects you're academically good to have landed all those accepts. Come up with your imaginary list of 3 or 4 schools, including this one you're going to. The VOs have no way of knowing if your list of schools is true or not and they usually don't bother to check.

4) And lastly, you mentioned family business. You made a mistake there. You would have mentioned it was your father's personal business. Mentioning family business means the whole family is dependent on it and that means that the whole business profit will be used up by all the family members dependent on it, thus invalidating the capability of sponsoring your foreign study which consumes lot of cash. My opinion is next time, mention that the business is your father's private business.

You did well in the other parts of your interview. Please before going back for your next interview, make sure you go through this thread well and read it thoroughly. Lots of interview tips have been laid out here and there. The only sacrifice on your part is to read and pick them up.

Thank you so much bigfrancis21, God will bless you u abundantly, have few questions to ask, first you mentioned up here that i should come up with a good reason "like this I took A level courses at so-university" should incase the VO ask why i didn't write any of the standardized exam,my question is, should it be any Nigerian uni? and what if the VO ask what courses i took and for how long? and lastly my previous DS-160 form wasn't filled by me, so please people how do i fill a new one to get me another confirmation code or do i need to edit the previous? Waiting replies o.. THANKS
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 8:37pm On Jun 27, 2013
I got my visa at the lagos embassy today, my appointment was 10:30 but I got there arnd 7:30am, enetered with 7:30 pple but I wasnt attended to until arnd 11am, I am sure @teejay would see me, I was wearing a white shirt. Interview lasted abt 2min.
ME: Good morning ma'am, hw r u 2day?
VO: Fine, thank you and you?
ME; Gr8
VO: Pass me ur doc
ME: *sharply passed the document, she looked @ my passport and mentioned my name and nodded in response
VO:*looking @ my I-20 excitedly* she screamed wow!! You have a very good application
ME: I smiled and said thank you
VO: Why Rutgers?
ME: Rutgers is ranking No.1 in US in federal funding for chemistry research
VO: She nodded
VO: Why Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry?
ME: It has a lot of research potential in Africa. According to WHO, 80% of African population depends on natural product for primary healthcare. My research is going to be looking @ develpoing this natural products in standard pharmaceuticals.
VO: She continued typing endlessly and furiously
VO: av u ever been to the US?
ME: No
VO: Why do you think the school gave you teaching assistantship?
ME: I was interviewed for this position and I did well in the interview.
VO: Go to Apapa-Oshodi on -----(I no hear that part I swear)and Pick Your Visa. Congrats ur visa has been approved(Na so she gimme the whitw paper o). Na so I turned backed, smiled @ the crowd, and zoomed off, enter my carnand start blasting 2-chainz all the way.
I no even remember say the babe no gimme my I-20 back, I hope say wahala no dey as dem no gimme my I-20 sha[b][/b].
NO DOCUMENT WAS ASKED

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 27, 2013
@TeeJay, congrats man.. I sight u, me sef dey rehearse how i go pull the vo's (lady) leg.. Afta she approved my visa, i go try ask her out in a jovial way...
Congratulobia once again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by StFrank2(m): 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2013
[quote author=smartguy1759]
Wow congrats man and i claim this good news in JESUS NAME.. Amen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2013
Yepa! See testimonies, I key into these testimonies..
Congratulations Smart Guy. You were smart to the VO too. Enjoy ur stay in America..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tinuowo(f): 8:58pm On Jun 27, 2013
Told her what?Write in details please, if yu really want to help us especially the one she asked why is the aunt sponsporing yu? Thanks!

[quote
author=teejay_GO01]LONG POST DON'T QUOTE

Hey guys, first and foremost I give all the glory to God for His faithfulness and His mercy.

I really want to thank all of u that commented and helped me one way or the other when I had my denial last month. Special thanks goes to Shoggie ( only God can repay u for me, till today he has always been checking up) Ojap ( your call made a big diff, God bless u) and to imperioxx( ur testimony was an inspiration) Bigfrancis21 n others thanks for the encouragement when I wanted to give up.

To any1 that has ever posted a ques here or their interview experience etc thanks a whole lot! I'm grateful

My interview was for 10:30 ( sebi u have noticed this 10:30 trend and success hmmm) I got der by 10:25 they had already called them in I was like 15th to last.

While I was waiting for my name/num to be called I witnessed other f1 visas and all the ones I witnessed were approved. But one particular one left me in shock.

A girl came for f1 visa and she made so many blunders in my mind I was saying they have already denied her, her english wasn't so good( who am I to judge abi) she didn't write any test and wen d vo asked her how much does ur sponspr make ( which was her mum) she said she doesn't know that her mum doesn't tell her, me I was like huh? Then she now said she has her statement, the vo said u have her statement but u dnt know how much she makes? She said her mums sells trinkets n accessories, the vo typed for like 5mins and approved her visa!! I was in shock , na juju the girl use ni? If u see the way she was saying thank u she nearly knelt down.lol

Now to me all the vos were female today except the chinese man who was switching btw vo n thumb print. Didn't want him to call me cos e dey deny everyone.

The miracle started from the fact that I went with the same statements I went with the last time I was denied, no change @ all no cover letter from d bank, no letter of support just ordinary stamped bank statement( no take this risk if u dnt have the faith to carry it)

Vo: are u....?
Me: yeh hello
Vo: y r u goint to d us
Me: for my grad studies @...
Vo: what r u gonna study:
Me:told her
Vo:Why?
Me: told my KISS story with passion
Vo: pls pass me ur admission letter and proof of finance ( note she didn't ask who my sponsor was) and also pass evidence of the scholarship u received
Me: passed bank docs n admission letter
Vo: (used 2 seconds to flip thru bank statement and gave me back while checkin something on her wall)
Vo: where's the evidence of scholarship?
Me: its in an email I didn't print it, buts its on the i-20
Vo: awwww ok
Vo: so is this ur mums statement
Me: no my aunt
Vo: so y is she sponsoring u?
Vo: what does she do?
Vo: looks @ her system for like 7 mins all the while telling me to hold on that's she's coming
the 7 mins seemed like 7 hrs I was just praying,
Vo: what did u do for undergrad?
Vo: ok ur visa has been approved
Me: thank u thank u
Vo: u will pick it @ apapa
Me: apapa? I thot it was ikeja
Vo: no we have changed our contractors no more ikeja
Me: apapa is far for me( see me I don collect visa finish I dey complain)
Vo: u can call this number they can help u out
Me: ok thank u I like ur scarf ( she had a beautiful scarf around her neck)
Vo: thank u!

ALL THE GLORY BE TO GOD!!

[/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2013
congrats smartguy and teejay...enjoy ur stay in America..@smartguy u go lyk beer gaan o,1759 tinz.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2013
fadinus: congrats smartguy and teejay...enjoy ur stay in America..@smartguy u go lyk beer gaan o,1759 tinz.
loooolzzzzzz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2013
Guys try quoting texts properly

Congrats smartguy1759 and teyjay_GO01
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idalex: 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2013
Pls help me with a copy of Sample/Format of Letter of Employment and Study leave Letter. my email is idalex85[at]yahoo[dot]com.
thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 9:56pm On Jun 27, 2013
Pls house,I need clarification between certification of documents and notarization or do both mean d same thing?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 27, 2013
So, I've got 4 student tech IDs so far..
God help me oo, let my dream to study in America come to pass.. AMIN..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idalex: 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2013
babsharon:

Check ur mail bro..... cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idalex: 10:08pm On Jun 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No. Her SEVIS fee is still valid. What does she need a new I-20 form for? She should use her old I-20 again unless there's a mistake on it which she contacted her school and told and they're preparing for her a new one. The only new payment she has to make is a another visa fee of N26,400. Her SEVIS, and I-20 still remain valid.

pls I have a question, do u mean if someone get a denial he will still have to make another payment of visa fee of N26,400 when reapplying? thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2013
idalex:

pls I have a question, do u mean if someone get a denial he will still have to make another payment of visa fee of N26,400 when reapplying? thanx

Yes. The visa fee payment can only be used once. If you're denied, you pay again in order to reapply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2013
Congratulations Teejay and SmartGuy!

Lagos embassy has been having higher approvals than Abuja of recent. Who noticed this, anyone?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2013
St.Frank:

Thank you so much bigfrancis21, God will bless you u abundantly, have few questions to ask, first you mentioned up here that i should come up with a good reason "like this I took A level courses at so-university" should incase the VO ask why i didn't write any of the standardized exam,my question is, should it be any Nigerian uni? and what if the VO ask what courses i took and for how long? and lastly my previous DS-160 form wasn't filled by me, so please people how do i fill a new one to get me another confirmation code or do i need to edit the previous? Waiting replies o.. THANKS

It must not be at a university. Mentioning polytechnic will be better. If the VO prods further you come up with something nau. Like you did 6 courses, 3 each semester for 9 months.

You need to fill out a new DS 160 in order to reapply. You can't use the previous one. Visit http://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ to fill out a new DS-160 and submit. Then copy out its application code, visit the visa booking site on http://cgifederal.force.com to book your visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2013
bigfrancis21: Congratulations Teejay and SmartGuy!

Lagos embassy has been having higher approvals than Abuja of recent. Who noticed this, anyone?

I did, I'd prefer Lagos to Abuja wen i gt to dat stage..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idusystem: 10:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
Pls I'm new on this forum infact I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine. I applied to NCCU for MPA (Master in Public Admin). I was denied visa in my first interview on 10 of June. I have applied again. Pls I need help.
Below was my last encounter with vo:

me: good morning
vo: pass me ur document
me: I gave her my documents
vo: why do you want to study abroad?
me: I told her
vo: what school are going for?
me: I told her NCCU
vo: Who is ur sponsor?
me: I told her my employer and handed her letter of sponsorship and bank statement.
vo: what are your roles and why should they lavish such an amount of money on u?
me: I told her I've been working there for 12 years and I'm one of the manager and.....she cut me in
vo: are you married?
me: I told her yes with two kids?
vo: Are u going with them?
me: said no.
vo: I'm sorry u have not convince me enough......... and I was denied.
Pls I dont really understand what she mean by you have not convince me? Is it about my family or about my sponsors? She dont even ask for GRE or TOEFL.
Pls help me on what to say on what are your roles and why should they lavish such an amount of money on u?

Thank u.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 10:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
idalex: Pls help me with a copy of Sample/Format of Letter of Employment and Study leave Letter. my email is idalex85[at]yahoo[dot]com.
thanx

Sent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idalex: 10:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
babsharon:

Check ur mail bro..... cheers

@babasharon
Pls help me with a copy of Sample/Format of
Letter of Employment and Study leave Letter.
my email is idalex85[at]yahoo[dot]com.
thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 27, 2013
idusystem: Pls I'm new on this forum infact I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine. I applied to NCCU for MPA (Master in Public Admin). I was denied visa in my first interview on 10 of June. I have applied again. Pls I need help.
Below was my last encounter with vo:

me: good morning
vo: pass me ur document
me: I gave her my documents
vo: why do you want to study abroad?
me: I told her
vo: what school are going for?
me: I told her NCCU
vo: Who is ur sponsor?
me: I told her my employer and handed her letter of sponsorship and bank statement.
vo: what are your roles and why should they lavish such an amount of money on u?
me: I told her I've been working there for 12 years and I'm one of the manager and.....she cut me in
vo: are you married?
me: I told her yes with two kids?
vo: Are u going with them?
me: said no.
vo: I'm sorry u have not convince me enough......... and I was denied.
Pls I dont really understand what she mean by you have not convince me? Is it about my family or about my sponsors? She dont even ask for GRE or TOEFL.
Pls help me on what to say on what are your roles and why should they lavish such an amount of money on u?

Thank u.

First of all, welcome to da family.. Ur interview went somehow maybe she was in a bad mood and wasnt not in 4 a long talk, i guess that's y she cut u in..
Anyways, wait.. Gurus wil soon answer u

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by StFrank2(m): 11:10pm On Jun 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

It must not be at a university. Mentioning polytechnic will be better. If the VO prods further you come up with something nau. Like you did 6 courses, 3 each semester for 9 months.

You need to fill out a new DS 160 in order to reapply. You can't use the previous one. Visit http://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ to fill out a new DS-160 and submit. Then copy out its application code, visit the visa booking site on http://cgifederal.force.com to book your visa.

Thanks again bigfrancis21,Would it be nice mentioning polytechnic again? cos i did ND and its the certificate im presenting if the VO ask.

(1) (2) (3) ... (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.