Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487698 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2013
kofsy: Congrats Lisadem! It was God's favour smiley smiley enjoy you stay in the US cheesy

apparently, it was o and I remain loyal to Baba God. (((((Thanks))))) Aunty Kofsy grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
Hello Nairalanders, I recently took the Gre and today I received the official Score Report Quant-165, Verbal-156 Total 321 and AWA-5.0(Not stellar but laudable).

I started practising for the test since march and to be honest the first powerprep attempt I scored a meagre 290. However, I requested for materials on this forum and some materials were sent to my mail. I found the barrons basic as it covered some aspects of the quant section but not up to actual test standard.

A friend of mine recommended the Nova Gre Bible which I found very efficient as it teaches all the tricks and formulas needed to ace the Quant section, infact with this book you can get a perfect score on the Quant.

For the verbal I learnt 299 common Gre words and also practised with the free verbal flashcards from magoosh gre, although on test day the words were actually reasonable than the ones on the practise test.

I did a lot or Reading comprehension questions on both Barrons and http://codecoax.com/grerc/ as this was an area I struggled with. For the AWA I studied essays from http://gre5dot5./ and it helped me a lot as two of the essays on my test were directly from this site. I also recommend downloading the ebook Gre-AWA model essays.

Powerprep is a must as it helps you get the test experience, also your score on the powerprep will likely be your actual score on test day plus or minus 10 points. In summary practise, practise, practise and you'll do great. Having great scores is not esoteric, just be passionate and zealous and you'll make it. On test day I sent my scores to TAMU, ASU, UIUC and UTD. Currently doing my final semester and will be applying for Spring 2015 semester(EE VLSI) plus my Toefl is on tuesday, wish me luck guys

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 10:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
syahboy: Hello Nairalanders, I recently took the Gre and today I received the official Score Report Quant-165, Verbal-156 Total 321 and AWA-5.0(Not stellar but laudable).

I started practising for the test since march and to be honest the first powerprep attempt I scored a meagre 290. However, I requested for materials on this forum and some materials were sent to my mail. I found the barrons basic as it covered some aspects of the quant section but not up to actual test standard.

A friend of mine recommended the Nova Gre Bible which I found very efficient as it teaches all the tricks and formulas needed to ace the Quant section, infact with this book you can get a perfect score on the Quant.

For the verbal I learnt 299 common Gre words and also practised with the free verbal flashcards from magoosh gre, although on test day the words were actually reasonable than the ones on the practise test.

I did a lot or Reading comprehension questions on both Barrons and http://codecoax.com/grerc/ as this was an area I struggled with. For the AWA I studied essays from http://gre5dot5./ and it helped me a lot as two of the essays on my test were directly from this site. I also recommend downloading the ebook Gre-AWA model essays.

Powerprep is a must as it helps you get the test experience, also your score on the powerprep will likely be your actual score on test day plus or minus 10 points. In summary practise, practise, practise and you'll do great. Having great scores is not esoteric, just be passionate and zealous and you'll make it. On test day I sent my scores to TAMU, ASU, UIUC and UTD. Currently doing my final semester and will be applying for Spring 2015 semester(EE VLSI) plus my Toefl is on tuesday, wish me luck guys

@Bolded... shocked shocked

Kofsy, are you seeing what i'm saw? shocked cheesy (in the voice of zebrudayah grin)

Congrats Jason! With scores like that you can get into any university in the US!!! Dayyyumm! Why don't you try U Maryland? With your titillating score, i'm quite sure that you can get in.

How was your TOEFL?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2013
bigfrancis021:

Kofsy, are you seeing what i'm saw? shocked cheesy (in the voice of zebrudayah grin)

Congrats Jason! With scores like that you can get into any university in the US!!! Dayyyumm! Why don't you try U Maryland? With your titillating score, i'm quite sure that you can get in.

How was your TOEFL?
My Toefl is on the 20th, Tuesday. I thought about UMCP but they don't offer spring admissions for ENEE program. I'll be graduating may 2014 so I can only apply for Spring 2015...Thanks all the same I studied for about 5 months and the stress was worth it. All thanks to God, I pray I also ace the Toefl
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
lisadem:

omo iya. Am always on low haircut o but no shaking.I go survive am. Texas isn't as chilly as your intending state Minessota sha. Thanks and you go get your visa too grin

Amen bro! I claim it... And no worry! I go adapt with MN weather, na humans dey live there..
Just no 4get us for here and dnt leave NL..
#Go show dem akata babes the stuff ur made up of... But take it easy.. YOLO is the motto (You Only Live Once)..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
syahboy: My Toefl is on the 20th, Tuesday. I thought about UMCP but they don't offer spring admissions for ENEE program. I'll be graduating may 2014 so I can only apply for Spring 2015...Thanks all the same I studied for about 5 months and the stress was worth it. All thanks to God, I pray I also ace the Toefl

You can still make it for Fall 2015! The application deadline is usually around december 2014 or january 2015. The only thing is just the 1 year waiting period you'll have to undergo. You could use the 1 year to do your NYSC service. Unless you want to go for your masters(spring 2015) immediately after you graduate.

Most GAs and scholarships are more abundant in fall than spring.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 10:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
syahboy: Hello Nairalanders, I recently took the Gre and today I received the official Score Report Quant-165, Verbal-156 Total 321 and AWA-5.0(Not stellar but laudable).

The bolded caught my attention. Let's go there #Sentiment# shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
bigfrancis021:

Congrats Jason! With scores like that you can get into any university in the US!!! Dayyyumm! Why don'wqt you try U Maryland? With your titillating score, i'm quite sure that you can get in.

How was your TOEFL?
Hahahahaha I think so francis grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2013
bigfrancis21:
You can still make it for Fall 2015! The application deadline is usually around December 2014 or january 2015. The only thing is just the 1 year waiting period you'll have to undergo. You could use the 1 year to do your NYSC service. Unless you want to go for your masters(spring 2015) immediately after you graduate.

Most GAs and scholarships are more abundant in fall than spring.
Yeah! Bro that's the thing, don't really want to wait and the NYSC thing I see it as a waste of time. I'm just aiming at top 40 programs for Ms, then for Phd I'll concentrate on top 20 programs. Considering I want to get a phd wasting a year on NYSC is a big deal for me, I wish there was a way I could make Fall 2014. Thanks bro I hope you enjoy your flight to the USA grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:05pm On Aug 15, 2013
Got an email at 6pm this evening that my passport is already ready for pick up. Will go pick it up first thing tomorrow morning! cool

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jonnyp(m): 11:12pm On Aug 15, 2013
oga lisadem congratulobia for your visa aprove,am apply 2 your skol in texas dallas for fall next year.so u can pm me

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2013
bigfrancis21: Got an email at 6pm this evening that my passport is already ready for pick up. Will go pick it up first thing tomorrow morning! cool

great!!! Ensure say dem no write you NL moniker on it oo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:19pm On Aug 15, 2013
jonnyp: oga lisadem congratulobia for your visa aprove,am apply 2 your skol in texas dallas for fall next year.so u can pm me

thanks jonnyp. I will be glad if you can make it down to Dallas. Sending you a pm right away.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:21pm On Aug 15, 2013
lisadem:

great!!! Ensure say dem no write you NL moniker on it oo cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jonnyp(m): 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
[quote author=lisadem]

thanks!my friend is their already,tho am apply to amefrica skol minnesot and one other texas dallas.so i wil meet u in tx by d special grace of GOD.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by iamchux(m): 11:50pm On Aug 15, 2013
Mehnn, that was really a lengthy grilling right there, but you sure came out a Victor, Nice one Lisadem....I tap from the anointing too grin
Excellent!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by frankie2K(m): 1:32am On Aug 16, 2013
Good Day all,

I was introduced to this forum by a friend of mine.I took my time to go through it. I believe it gives me a better chance of help in packaging my application for visa.I have a HND in computer science (2010)alongside some certificates in computer courses from Swedish schools(online) and currently teaching computer in a high school.I applied to two schools and one of the two schools(Baylor university,Texas)offered me admission and a $4500 funding annually.I was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student because I do no meet the requirements for Masters.I will be taking the TOEFL test next month as I have learnt from the posts of the gurus in the house,I am worried with some few things and they are as follows:

1) I am 29 to be 30 years old by November,hope age will not be a barrier in obtaining visa as I am meant to understand that post-baccalaureate is seen as undergraduate program.
2) The school that offered me admission alongside funding (Baylor University)is a private institution,will it hinder me obtaining a visa?
3) After taking the TOEFL(ibt),how long does it take the hard copy (original)to reach me so as to muse it as a evidence that I took the test during the interview with a VO.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 1:57am On Aug 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:04am On Aug 16, 2013
lisadem: Hello house,
I got my visa approved at the Lagos embassy today. Sorry this is coming late. I was preoccupied in other endeavours.

Thanks to Francis for informing the house on my behalf.

The transcript is prepared and will be launched soon grin grin. PLEASE DON'T QUOTE! Na one kind long anecdote with plenty appreciation.

Cheers!

@bold word, GRE can't stymie many of my guys here anymore.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 2:05am On Aug 16, 2013
Spanishmario: Plz guruz in da house...Watz d cost of staying off campus nd y is it preferable to on campus

Because in most affordable dorms, you don't cook but have to pay for the room and feeding in their cafeteria at exorbitant price.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 5:18am On Aug 16, 2013

And u tink dat ain't stellar? Anyway, av bookmarked d sites u recoomended & jst downloaded d Nova's bible. But d Nova i got was d 2008 edition. I dnt knw if it was d same u used (u knw d new GRE started 2011)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 16, 2013
@Shayboy, that was so fantastic. I feel like retaking GRE after reading your report. Thank you so much for these links. Maybe in future, i will take the test again. For now, I'm satisfied with my score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 16, 2013
De Tus: @Shayboy, that was so fantastic. I feel like retaking GRE after reading your report. Thank you so much for these links. Maybe in future, i will take the test again. For now, I'm satisfied with my score.

De Tus, kindly send me a PM..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 8:36am On Aug 16, 2013
frankie2K: Good Day all,

I was introduced to this forum by a friend of mine.I took my time to go through it. I believe it gives me a better chance of help in packaging my application for visa.I have a HND in computer science (2010)alongside some certificates in computer courses from Swedish schools(online) and currently teaching computer in a high school.I applied to two schools and one of the two schools(Baylor university,Texas)offered me admission and a $4500 funding annually.I was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student because I do no meet the requirements for Masters.I will be taking the TOEFL test next month as I have learnt from the posts of the gurus in the house,I am worried with some few things and they are as follows:

1) I am 29 to be 30 years old by November,hope age will not be a barrier in obtaining visa as I am meant to understand that post-baccalaureate is seen as undergraduate program.
2) The school that offered me admission alongside funding (Baylor University)is a private institution,will it hinder me obtaining a visa?
3) After taking the TOEFL(ibt),how long does it take the hard copy (original)to reach me so as to muse it as a evidence that I took the test during the interview with a VO.

No †̥o your first question, I don't think the age thing will affect you at the embassy once you can give them tangible reason for u †̥o further your education.
Secondly, the house do advised members †̥o apply †̥o public funded schools but notwithstanding, the part scholarship you have should be able †̥o assist you @ the embassy along with the private school.

Thirdly, approximately 6 weeks for them †̥o send your result †̥o non - U.S state. But you can check your result online 13 days after taking the test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 8:41am On Aug 16, 2013
lisadem: To God be the glory. Visa approved at third attempt - 1 B1/B2 and 2 F-1 at the Lagos embassy. It happened in a miraculous way as I got bizarre questions in no particular orders and I gave unprepared answers.

I actually reapplied immediately after my last denial about two and a half months ago and got a date for 15th July but had to cancel it because I knew I needed to work more on home ties.... ****Fastforward****

Appreciation to Almighty Allah, my real family (dedicated fasting for me) and virtual family - Nairaland folks starting from those who responded to my queries - BigFrancis, Anthonymighty (off NL), imperiouxx, Fitty, GboyegaD and those who I got insightful info and motivation from their posts - Olarwarlay, Yvete, Mamacita, Ojab, Kunsoft, Mike-will, Foohard, Amefrica, Kofsy, Ms Nas, Flynbird, Ricky, Babsharon, iamchux, Webstradamus, Tuxedo, De Tus, Winbyforce, justwise (honourable moderator) and others. #make u tell me if I omitted your name o# grin grin grin

Now Lonestar state loading. Make I dey sharply park my garri, beans, dry pepper and odas. #i no dey play with food abeg# grin grin grin
Congrats again Lisadem! Alhamdulilah for you grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by demmyrulz(m): 8:57am On Aug 16, 2013
lisadem:

The bolded caught my attention. Let's go there #Sentiment# shocked
Congrat Lisadem

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 8:58am On Aug 16, 2013
Good day all. Pls on the website of a sch am applyin to for Masters program, I saw dis on their application procedure Photocopy of Degree - The original or certified photocopies of the degree certificate, diploma, or official statement that the degree has been granted. An official English translation is required.. Pls, does dis means I will send dem a notarized copy of my BSc certificate, or no need for notarization? Also, if am to send it, can i send it wit my transcript (by puttin it in d DHL's envelope i wil submit to my sch send my transcript) or will i need to send dem separately?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2013
In houston, thanks to emirate airline they are the best, kudos to bigfrancis, Ms Nas, Kunsoft, ojap, gboyega and NL members, i really appreciate u guys, thanks and keep it up.
emirate airline wan kill person will food, champagne and co, i really enjoyed my flight and i recommend emirate to prospective travellers.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 9:20am On Aug 16, 2013
Ms Nas:
Congrats again Lisadem! Alhamdulilah for you grin

MS-Nas, are you a Muslim?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 16, 2013
obsy2020: In houston, thanks to emirate airline they are the best, kudos to bigfrancis, Ms Nas, Kunsoft, ojap, gboyega and NL members, i really appreciate u guys, thanks and keep it up.
emirate airline wan kill person will food, champagne and co, i really enjoyed my flight and i recommend emirate to prospective travellers.

Have a wonderful stay in the Nigerians' community!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 9:30am On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Cheers!

@bold word, GRE can't stymie many of my guys here anymore.

Yesso Bo$$. Thanks for the wishes. God bless you plenty.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 9:39am On Aug 16, 2013
lisadem: To God be the glory. Visa approved at third attempt - 1 B1/B2 and 2 F-1 at the Lagos embassy. It happened in a miraculous way as I got bizarre questions in no particular orders and I gave unprepared answers.
grin grin grin

Congrats once again. so happy you got it and nice you didn't rehearse answers as it helped you think straight. BTW, why carry beans when you can easily get to buy in almost all African stores and even some normal grocery store? Why not pack more garri ijebu (if you like drinking it after walking in the hot sun) and egusi instead?

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.