Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487713 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 11:52am On Aug 16, 2013
GboyegaD:

I think that is a major challenge. I will advise you try to connect more with those who are there so that whenever classes starts, you will have adjusted.
That I will. Thanks a lot grin
kofsy:
Wait! Have you left Nigeria? shocked shocked

grin grin Lemme PM You
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nikkygal(f): 11:58am On Aug 16, 2013
syahboy: Hello Nairalanders, I recently took the Gre and today I received the official Score Report Quant-165, Verbal-156 Total 321 and AWA-5.0(Not stellar but laudable).

I started practising for the test since march and to be honest the first powerprep attempt I scored a meagre 290. However, I requested for materials on this forum and some materials were sent to my mail. I found the barrons basic as it covered some aspects of the quant section but not up to actual test standard.

A friend of mine recommended the Nova Gre Bible which I found very efficient as it teaches all the tricks and formulas needed to ace the Quant section, infact with this book you can get a perfect score on the Quant.

For the verbal I learnt 299 common Gre words and also practised with the free verbal flashcards from magoosh gre, although on test day the words were actually reasonable than the ones on the practise test.

I did a lot or Reading comprehension questions on both Barrons and http://codecoax.com/grerc/ as this was an area I struggled with. For the AWA I studied essays from http://gre5dot5./ and it helped me a lot as two of the essays on my test were directly from this site. I also recommend downloading the ebook Gre-AWA model essays.

Powerprep is a must as it helps you get the test experience, also your score on the powerprep will likely be your actual score on test day plus or minus 10 points. In summary practise, practise, practise and you'll do great. Having great scores is not esoteric, just be passionate and zealous and you'll make it. On test day I sent my scores to TAMU, ASU, UIUC and UTD. Currently doing my final semester and will be applying for Spring 2015 semester(EE VLSI) plus my Toefl is on tuesday, wish me luck guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by JFdENIGMA: 1:15pm On Aug 16, 2013
bigfrancis21 thanks I have registered for the online GRE test, lagos centre. So in less than a month time I will be writing it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by 9raCash: 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2013
Hello how, I just got my i20 shipped which will arrive on monday by God's grace. I guess the next thing is to pay my sevis and visa application. My questions are:
1. What is the best way to pay my sevis fee?
2. Classes starts on oct 28, when is the best time to apply, as in how early can I apply for the visa?
4. Lagos or Abuja, where do u tink one should go for the interview?
3. Apart from the normal docs (passport, sevis fee reciept, visa app reciept, toelf score report, i20), my sponsor's statement of acct, company reg certificate, my certificates, my sponsor's land certificate, what other document do you thin will help at the embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ms Nas:
That I will. Thanks a lot grin

grin grin Lemme PM You

I just replied smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 3:26pm On Aug 16, 2013
GboyegaD:

Congrats once again. so happy you got it and nice you didn't rehearse answers as it helped you think straight. BTW, why carry beans when you can easily get to buy in almost all African stores and even some normal grocery store? Why not pack more garri ijebu (if you like drinking it after walking in the hot sun) and egusi instead?

lol. Noted @Gboyega. I actually enjoy drinking garri ijebu once in a while. Thanks buddy. What's your program like now in Dallas/Texas? Guess We should be able to hook up *@ our leisure hour* when I arrive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2013
Amefrica:

Lolzz... Make u let my aunty/sister alone ooo, the only Sis' i av on here..
Lisadem! You've got M A I L...

lol...just kidding. Issokai lemme check my email. Get back to you bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2013
Congratulations Lisadem. Perseverance pays.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP: Congratulations Lisadem. Perseverance pays.

Longest time Ojap... you've been scarce.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:55pm On Aug 16, 2013
obsy2020: In houston, thanks to emirate airline they are the best, kudos to bigfrancis, Ms Nas, Kunsoft, ojap, gboyega and NL members, i really appreciate u guys, thanks and keep it up.
emirate airline wan kill person will food, champagne and co, i really enjoyed my flight and i recommend emirate to prospective travellers.

Welcome to the United States bro. Please, do not to forget to attend the next Black Geoscientists conference in few weeks. The association promised to pay for student participants (airfare, hotel and food) especially those who will be giving an oral or poster presentation.

I understand folks from your school will be driving down to Houston, so you can just join them and make sure you talk to the Naija PhD guy (my friend) to link you up with JoAnn who is the student coordinator of the association. She also doubles as the program coordinator of the Environmental Dynamics Program at the University of Arkansas. She will be happy to take care of that.

I will also advise you try as much as possible to attend the conference so you can network with professionals in the oil and gas industry. Last year's conference was in DC. Shell, Chevron, BP and some smaller companies were there to recruit. So, you should expect more companies and professionals to be part of this year's conference in Houston. You may end up getting a summer internship.

Remember Houston is the "oil hub" of the nation. So,don't miss out.

All the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2013
conyema12:

Longest time Ojap... you've been scarce.

You are right bro. I've been working on a big project ni jare. Things are more relaxed now.

How are you doing? Any accepts yet?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:59pm On Aug 16, 2013
babsharon:

MS-Nas, are you a Muslim?? shocked shocked shocked
babsharon:
The way u quote " Alihamdulilahi" and your nickname NAS sound suspicious.

Yup yup, she is a beautiful Islamian. kiss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2013
GboyegaD:

If you want a Phd then, give it a shot. You can get into the top 40 phds in your field if you try. All you need is make sure your undergraduate thesis is awesome and in your SoP, you can always explain you have no journal articles, conference attendance and research experience because of the nature of the economy of Nigeria. Sincerely, it works wonders.
I can testify you have a good writing skill and can assure you, with God on your side, you will get in.

FAQ

What about someone like me without any of those research works, conference attendance like the case in Nigeria or name on any article?

Enlighten me more sir. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

You are right bro. I've been working on a big project ni jare. Things are more relaxed now.

Big project.... Million dollar abi? Ok, I'll soon reach there too ooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mckenziiii: 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2013
godG: Why do people still find it hard to register for TOEFL?! Thanks to bigfrancis, I registered mine myself. All u need is ur $175 and say 1k for making the call...u can register with ANY ATM CARD. I did mine like 2 days ago. The same applicable to GRE. Don't get duped by agents.
pls send mi d num
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

... I guess the project must really be a huge one..lol Its not really been easy shaa, just combining job with application process.I am hardly at home....little pay offshore things... I should be through be next week. Surely, am positive for the Spring Admission.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 4:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Handsome Imperiouxx, so you have her bio-data grin grin
Laugh won kill me here oo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Islamian? Really? cheesy cheesy cheesy Your grammar ehn! Na Toronto own grin E sha she tongue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:12pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

FAQ

What about someone like me without any of those research works, conference attendance like the case in Nigeria or name on any article?

Imperiouxx, Please explain this better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 4:13pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

Gbogbo Oil money cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:15pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Big project.... Million dollar abi? Ok, I'll soon reach there too ooo.

Bros, no dey carry me join body jare. After you, na still you grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:16pm On Aug 16, 2013
xtus:

YOU GOT A MAIL BROS!!!!

Damn! Got lot of messages, some outdated. I'm sorry all, it's being a preparatory week for the GAs and week of troubleshooting because one of my instruments has being a pain in the neck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2013
babsharon:

Handsome Imperiouxx, so you have her bio-data grin grin
Laugh won kill me here oo

Eeen! I like keeping record of fine things. No one likes akube nau wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:21pm On Aug 16, 2013
conyema12:

... I guess the project must really be a huge one..lol Its not really been easy shaa, just combining job with application process.I am hardly at home....little pay offshore things... I should be through be next week. Surely, am positive for the Spring Admission.

@ bolded - I see that ooo. smiley

The job experience will work for you especially in getting a job when you get here. Like I advised in the past,just make sure you apply to schools near amazing geology and a lot of oil companies. Please, keep me posted as events unfold.

Goodluck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ms Nas:
Gbogbo Oil money cheesy

What are you talking about ma? shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

MS NAS- Baba imperiouxx don confess. I no hear that one oooo lipsrsealed kiss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:24pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ms Nas:
Islamian? Really? cheesy cheesy cheesy Your grammar ehn! Na Toronto own grin E sha she tongue

If it was by GRE, you believe to the core. Now, you disagreed with me. Ok ooo

Islam: noun for a religion and doctrine.

-ian: a suffix with the same meaning and properties as -an; which is associated with a subject noun.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:27pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

Imperiouxx, Please explain this better.

I'm from Nigeria, only have my BS and I'd like to do my Ph.D in the US. I only have my undergrad's project and never attended any conference and I have no name on any article.

What am I suppose tell the US professors during my application.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:28pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

@ bolded - I see that ooo. smiley

The job experience will work for you especially in getting a job when you get here. Like I advised in the past,just make sure you apply to schools near amazing geology and a lot of oil companies. Please, keep me posted as events unfold.

Goodluck.

Sure boss... cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

I'm from Nigeria, only have my BS and I'd like to do my Ph.D in the US. I only have my undergrad's project and never attended any conference and I have no name on any article.

What am I suppose tell the US professors during my application.

Your CGPA and GRE scores will do the talk on your behalf.

These Profs. know too well that we will perform if given the opportunity, in an enabling environment, in a country that funds research, that appreciates STEM students.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:33pm On Aug 16, 2013
OjaP:

Your CGPA and GRE scores will do the talk on your behalf.

These Profs. know too well that we will perform if given the opportunity, in an enabling environment, in a country that funds research, that appreciates STEM students.

Thank you sir. That's a good answer to the FAQ.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 4:41pm On Aug 16, 2013
imperiouxx:

Ehnn, Really? Oya make we relate na wink wink @Akube cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
imperiouxx:

If it was by GRE, you believe to the core. Now, you disagreed with me. Ok ooo

Islam: noun for a religion and doctrine.

-ian: a suffix with the same meaning and properties as -an; which is associated with a subject noun.
See definition oo grin
OjaP:

What are you talking about ma? shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked
No dey carry us join body here abeg. i repeat, Gbogbo Oil money cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.