Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,775 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487040 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 9:29am On Apr 18, 2013
webstradamus:

Which MSU? Mankato or Moorhead?

@webdstradamus - it's Moorhead o my brother. Please can You help if You are close?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2013
Yvete:

Mr. Olarwarlay, please don't take my comment on being cheap seriously. I was kidding. Sawwwry!
You know, some of us stay down south so it won't make sense to ship your I-20 over here and down to Nigeria. Its gonna cost you more.

Sis, I knew U were kidding now.I no press P. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 12:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
migeo art: Hi,I just finishd my NYSC and I wat to study masters in USA pls wat is d 1st step to take!!ur urgent reply is neccessary!thx

No one will give you urgent reply. Best you do is start reading from part 1 of this thread and when you're done you can post questions. I got this from part 3 hope it helps....

Google search schools that offer your chosen course. Check their requirements. Then shortlist a number of schools that are closer to your area of study & availability of financial aids/scholarships/grants or any other form of waivers,check school's rankings (it mustn't be an ivy league school) also consider school's location, cost of living, weather conditions.
Meet all application deadlines, take the standardized tests.
When you are accepted into the school, you'll be requested to submit some financial documents, proof that student has financial support with or without assistance from the school. when you meet all requirements, an I-20 form(Admission letter) will be mailed to you.
Pay a SEVIS fee at any ECOBank in Cotonou or Seme border or If you have anyone in the states, the person can pay online for you. NB: You'll need the receipt for your interview so, be mindful.
Visit the US embassy website to fill an onlne application DS-160 form. i think it varies depending on the type of visa you are applying for.(not certain)
Visit any GTBank to pay a visa application fee. You'll be issued an MRV receipt(whatever its called)lol
With all these things done, visit the usembassy website and schedule a visa interview appointment. You should know the rest.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 6:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
This is kinda strange... Where's everyone?.
@webstradamus - pls, I'm still waiting to hear from You, thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Feexo: 6:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
bigfrancis21:
I think your universities are ok so far as they can qualify on these 4 areas - credible academic curriculum, high chances of obtaining financial aids, affordable cost of school fees just in case you don't get any financial aid, and lastly the weather of the containing environment.

Thanks a lot bigfrancis21! I am actually looking at scholarship/GA if I can get superlative scores in the gre and toefl...... 100 in toefl and 300 and above in gre. What do you think?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Feexo: 6:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
Yvete:

Do not pay out of pocket for a masters in Pol. Sci or Intl Relations. I got an invitation to Penn State after my bachelors, but I'm not interested in another degree that people will keep asking "what are you going to do with this"? Its frustrating unless you wanna teach.
Cancel out MSU anyways. Good school, but for Pol. Sci, look for schools in the Washington/New York area.

Thanks a lot for the info, but I have a few questions for you: why do you think MSU is out of the question? I want to go into teaching and I intend to get a scholarship. I am working towards at least 100 in toefl and 300 and above in gre. Why NY and WA areas?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nice4life: 7:35pm On Apr 18, 2013

Tech industry groups are cautiously optimistic and tech workers are wary of the immigration reform bill introduced in the U.S. Senate this week, which was released by its sponsoring “Gang of Eight” early Wednesday in all its 844-page glory.

On Tuesday, Neil Ruiz, associate fellow and senior policy analyst at the Brookings Institution, told us prospects for the bill’s passage looked promising, though at that point he had seen only a 19-page summary of the legislation.

Among the wide-ranging bill’s provisions:

Raising the cap on the number of H-1B visas from 65,000 to 110,000 annually, with as many as 180,000 to be granted each year in the future.
Raising the number of additional visas specifically for STEM advanced-degree holders from U.S. schools to 25,000 from the current 20,000.
Requiring employers to pay higher wages for H-1B workers than under current law. (As now, they could not pay visa-holders more than the prevailing wage paid to native-born workers.)
Requiring “H-1B dependent employers” — those who employ a disproportionate number of guest workers — to pay significantly higher wages and fees than normal users of the program. At present, the dependent-employer threshold stands at 15 percent of total headcount. This was one of the requirements that Facebook took aim against in its lobbying.
Employers with 30 and 50 percent of their workforce made up of H-1B or L visa holders who do not have green-card petitions pending would pay an additional $5,000 fee per head.That fee would grow to $10,000 for employers with H-1Bs comprising 50 percent or more of its workforce.
Companies would be required to advertise H-1B positions on a Labor Department website for 30 days before filling the position with an H-1B applicant.
Increasing the allotment of green cards.
Creating a “startup visa” for foreign entrepreneurs.
Moving toward a points-based merit system in the visa process to favor education and skills over family status.
“Of course the devil’s in the details,” observed Ron Hira, associate professor of public policy at the Rochester (N.Y.) Institute of Technology and a longtime critic of the H-1B program. “It says they’re going to raise wages substantially, but we don’t know how much. That’s a real key issue, that the wage floor is too low for H-1Bs, in my point of view.”

“I think it’s going to impact a subset of outsourcing firms, like Cognizant and Tata, while leaving others like IBM, Accenture and Deloitte unscathed,” he continued. “IBM, even though they’re importing lots and lots of H-1Bs and have more workers in India than they do in the U.S., still has less than 50 percent (of total employees being visa holders).”

“I think it’s a move in the right direction, but I think it’s not going to fix … the pretty obvious problems with the H-1B undercutting American workers.” Hira called the proposed increase in green cards “generous,” but considers other provisions to be a view into IT-company lobbying.

“The increase in advanced-degree holders is from 20K to 25K, but they push for the base cap to go from 65K to 110K,” he said. “You would think from the rhetoric from the industry that [advanced degrees] are what they want, but I think what you’re seeing is what they’re really lobbying for.” He calls the industry’s suggestion that foreign STEM graduates are often forced to leave the country after graduating “is more of a bait-and-switch than anything.”

The Industry’s View
On the other side of the debate, Robert Hoffman, senior vice president of government relations for the Information Technology Industry Council says his organization likes the proposed shift from a family-based immigration system to one more focused on skills. The revamped approach, he says, “will focus it more on innovation and remaining competitive.”

Still, there’s a lot to digest in the measure’s H-1B provisions. Hoffman calls some of them “very strict,” so his group is working with members to determine their impact.

“Basically, we like some of the fundamentals. We like what we’ve seen on green cards. We certainly like trying to increase the numbers on H-1Bs and putting in some kind of market escalator. But there are a lot of requirements that require close examination before we say anything positive or negative.“

The Brooking Institution’s Ruiz thinks businesses might be concerned about the labor-market test that the bill would require before hiring H-1B holders, though he referred to the proposal as “market light.” The bill, he pointed out, would allow students to get into the queue for green cards, and focuses more on skills than country of origin.

“It’s a comprehensive approach. It seems very thoughtful,” he said of the bill, which was hashed out to combine a couple of previous efforts. “On H-1Bs, it considers both business and labor interests – to protect American workers and protect American businesses. For the Senate, this bill looks pretty workable ”

The Senate Judiciary Committee plans two days of hearings – Friday and Monday – before the bill goes to the Senate floor. Still one issue remains murky: How far apart the Senate’s approach will be from the House of Representatives’. As Hira points out, the House has a different perspective, and a range of different interest groups will be weighing in with its members.

http://news.dice.com/2013/04/17/immigration-reform-h-1b-proposals/?CMPID=EM_SV_UP_JS_AD_LC_AD_&utm_source=Cheetahmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Advisory_Lifecycle&om_rid=AAGso-&om_mid=_BQI8$-B8tYqRPk&dadv&om_rid=AAGdBC&om_mid=_BRcBF8B8yB-TyC

I do not see anything special about this bill, this is not immigration reform at all, passing this bill doesn't change anything and the senators that introduce this bill clearly lack ideas on immigration reform.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by idoo4love: 7:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
pls house ..we can help a fellow brother actualize his dreams.. pls view d link below and like d page..thanks and God bless..ur comments will also make a huge difference...THANKS AND GOD BLESS....... HELP A BROTHER... its Final 3 From Pepsi Music Campus Challenge by Pepsi Nigeria http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529194930456249&id=271585172883894&set=a.529194693789606.1073741844.271585172883894&refid=56&_rdr
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 7:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
^^^^ What da .....!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
imperiouxx: ^^^^ What da .....!

Oga Imperiouxx - Mai ya faru?, ba damua ko?...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hi guys, pls I want to know if this school is standard enough- Minot state university, I read that it's located in North dakota. Pls how is the location, weather, and what's the probability of getting a visa? Though the school does have my desired course, I decided to settle for a second choice course- masters in Criminal justice. Part of the reason I chose the school is cos their tuition is relatively cheap. I'm about to pay the application fee. But I wouldn't mind a scholarship in a better school... Pls If you have any in mind pls share.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2013
olarwarlay:

Oga Imperiouxx - Mai ya faru?, ba damua ko?...

Ba bu damua mutumina.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
kofsy: Hi guys, pls I want to know if this school is standard enough- Minot state university, I read that it's located in North dakota. Pls how is the location, weather, and what's the probability of getting a visa? Though the school does have my desired course, I decided to settle for a second choice course- masters in Criminal justice. Part of the reason I chose the school is cos their tuition is relatively cheap. I'm about to pay the application fee. But I wouldn't mind a scholarship in a better school... Pls If you have any in mind pls share + I finished with a very very strong 2.1(4.48)

4.48 almost first class but do you have GRE? If not, try and get it. You should be able to get good package from schools than spending your last note on tuition. The state is cold but that's by the way.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 8:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
imperiouxx:

Ba bu damua mutumina.

Tor,mungode Allah... cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 18, 2013

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
olarwarlay:

Tor,mungode Allah... cheesy

Yayi!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by queen47: 11:28pm On Apr 18, 2013
Hi House, like i stated in one of the threads that I was to go for tourist visa interview on 2nd, I did go and was denied. Now I'm thinking of applying as a student so I can go with student visa. I wanna apply for nursing but the thing is I already have my Registered Nurse and Registered midwife certificates, I wanna apply for RN-BSN which is a 3semester program. I have a list of few schools and I have contacted one of the schools. They said I should complete the application form, send my credentials and certificates to be evaluated by Spantran, write a test of english exam (TOEFL to be precise). But I have some challenges, I really don't understand some of the requirements nor how to go about meeting them, I need advice from the house on how to go about them. Here's part of the admission requirement that I dont understand:

1-R.N.'s applying to the program must provide evidence of current Texas RN licensure. (School I contacted is in Texas)
2-All transient, non-degree, and baccalaureate applicants must provide proof of satisfactory completion of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). Acceptable performance as set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board on either the ACT, SAT or TAKS exams.
3-To be considered, you must complete at least 40 hours of the required 60 hours of prerequisite work by the program application deadline. 8 hours, of those 40 hours, must be from the science prerequisites of: Human Anatomy and Physiology , Microbiology, Chemistry. If you are admitted into the program ALL 60 hours of prerequisites must be completed by the start of the program.

Pls I need suggestions on how to meet the above listed requirements. I am thinking that my transcripts which I will send for evaluation by an evaluation board should cover no 3 of the requirements......dont know really.

Pls, would appreciated a list of some good affordable schools so I can look them up. Will prefer schools in Texas cos I have a sis there.

Thanks all for ur kind contributions
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Adolite(m): 6:50am On Apr 19, 2013
kofsy:
I plan getting GRE and Toefl. But then, don't I need to fill the schools I want to attend in the GRE/Toefl form? I saw some good schools that are 'topping their leagues' when it comes to Msc. in Clinical Psychology, but their tuitions scared me off. I don't want to put my hope on a scholarship that I may or may not get that's why I settled for MSU. Is there another way I can go about it? I mean, apply to a better school with a high chance of getting scholarship; a full-scholarship for that matter. Pls I need your assistance. Thanks

Focus on your GRE , get a high score on it, then you have high chances of getting a full scholarship without spending cent's.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by winbyforce: 10:38am On Apr 19, 2013
queen47: Hi House, like i stated in one of the threads that I was to go for tourist visa interview on 2nd, I did go and was denied. Now I'm thinking of applying as a student so I can go with student visa. I wanna apply for nursing but the thing is I already have my Registered Nurse and Registered midwife certificates, I wanna apply for RN-BSN which is a 3semester program. I have a list of few schools and I have contacted one of the schools. They said I should complete the application form, send my credentials and certificates to be evaluated by Spantran, write a test of english exam (TOEFL to be precise). But I have some challenges, I really don't understand some of the requirements nor how to go about meeting them, I need advice from the house on how to go about them. Here's part of the admission requirement that I dont understand:

1-R.N.'s applying to the program must provide evidence of current Texas RN licensure. (School I contacted is in Texas)
2-All transient, non-degree, and baccalaureate applicants must provide proof of satisfactory completion of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). Acceptable performance as set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board on either the ACT, SAT or TAKS exams.
3-To be considered, you must complete at least 40 hours of the required 60 hours of prerequisite work by the program application deadline. 8 hours, of those 40 hours, must be from the science prerequisites of: Human Anatomy and Physiology , Microbiology, Chemistry. If you are admitted into the program ALL 60 hours of prerequisites must be completed by the start of the program.

Pls I need suggestions on how to meet the above listed requirements. I am thinking that my transcripts which I will send for evaluation by an evaluation board should cover no 3 of the requirements......dont know really.

Pls, would appreciated a list of some good affordable schools so I can look them up. Will prefer schools in Texas cos I have a sis there.

Thanks all for ur kind contributions
Did u tell them u're an international applicant?
1.U have to be a registered nurse in TEXAS.there are some international exams for nurses that ease their quest for licensure in the US. U need to find out if Texas accepts such exams and do it. I think u can do d exam in abuja.pls google it
2.U need to do the SATs and score well. Also TOEFL. U shd know that these criteria SEEM to be for students applying from texas.requirements for international applicants mayb slightly different.
3.Send ur transcripts and let them determine if u did enough course work.
Hope that helps.Good luck wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by queen47: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2013
winbyforce:
Did u tell them u're an international applicant?
1.U have to be a registered nurse in TEXAS.there are some international exams for nurses that ease their quest for licensure in the US. U need to find out if Texas accepts such exams and do it. I think u can do d exam in abuja.pls google it
2.U need to do the SATs and score well. Also TOEFL. U shd know that these criteria SEEMS to be for students applying from texas.requirements for international applicants mayb slightly different.
3.Send ur transcripts and let them determine if u did enough course work.
Hope that helps.Good luck wink

Yea, I told them I'm an international student. They did mention something about completing some courses in government, Economics and History, dont also know how I'm gonna do that since I'm here in Naija. Besides, I already did Economics in sec school but didnt do government cos I was science inclined. About the history, I think it should be US history. I will google the exams as u said. Thanks.

More suggestions will be appreciated pls.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 3:20pm On Apr 19, 2013
oche oche anthony ori e wambe ma jasi ni inbox bose nlo stay safe padi mi,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2013
Mr. SmithJanet:

You don come up with what to say to cover the gap? Did you write any standardized test at all?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 3:47pm On Apr 19, 2013
@ virgin ice congrats , OBO YINYIN

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2013
Prof Ojap u no trust mi ni, i dey work on it everyday make baba GOD bless on my interview day make i no go meet those yeye VO wey yilori gan
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:53pm On Apr 19, 2013
smithjanetstore: Prof Ojap u no trust mi ni, i dey work on it everyday make baba GOD bless on my interview day make i no go meet those yeye VO wey yilori gan

Hehehehe, I been dey think say na your cousin oo. So na you sef. Na wa for una oooooooo.... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 3:54pm On Apr 19, 2013
BOTH BROV
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:01pm On Apr 19, 2013
smithjanetstore: BOTH BROV

So which school you and your cousin dey go?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 4:15pm On Apr 19, 2013
smithjanetstore: Prof Ojap u no trust mi ni, i dey work on it everyday make baba GOD bless on my interview day make i no go meet those yeye VO wey yilori gan

Na wah oh! What do people stand to gain from lying to people who don't know u from adam? Tot u said you were in the USA earlier and made the inquiries for ur cousin? undecided smh!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by MsNas(f): 4:29pm On Apr 19, 2013
OjaP:

So which school you and your cousin dey go?
Why are you asking SJS jamb question? VIU of course! undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:36pm On Apr 19, 2013
Ms Nas:
Why are you asking SJS jamb question? VIU of course! undecided

I have always said it...you're a trouble maker... grin grin grin grin grin

Na wa for you ooooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:38pm On Apr 19, 2013
smithjanetstore: @ virgin ice congrats , OBO YINYIN

And what does Mr. Smith mean by the bolded word?? Hope it's not what I am thinking ooo. shockedshockedshockedshocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.