Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,394 members, 7,846,648 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488974 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 4:41pm On May 02, 2013
nitoks@yahoo.co:
Pls house I need to know if sul ross university is good to apply for masters in MBA. Thanks.

Depends on your reason for choosing the school. But it looks like a good one to me. Read more on it : http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/sul-ross-state-university-3625

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by umoski1(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2013
Hello House,Pls i need your advice.I just got my 1-20 today and am thinking of using my GTB mastercard to pay for my sevis fee online at FMJFEE.com instead of going all the way to Cotonou.i want to know if i an use my ATM card to pay for the sevis fee? thanks and God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 6:27pm On May 02, 2013
Hello everyone, I say a big thank you to u all for contributing actively to the growth of this thread.

I have a little problem. I applied to my school in US for undergraduate studies for Fall session. I mailed my mastercard Card Number when filling the application form to the school in US to pay for my application fee.

The school contacted me yesterday and told me that I should send my mastercard verification code, which I later sent to them. The 3 digit number at the back of my mastercard was what I suggested was the verification code which I sent to them.

I have used that same Mastercard to buy My SAT textbooks online on Amazon. But I was shocked when they contacted me today and said the card did not work.

Please what can I do. Does anyone have any idea or have encountered similar problem like dis before.

Thanks guys. Waiting for your anticipated response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 7:19pm On May 02, 2013
Hi everyone, this is the first time I'm commenting here. Been reading all your posts. I had my visa interview today in lagos and I was denied sad. While all the male VO's were just approving visas, the lady VO was just denying all that came along.
I got admiSsion into pittsburg state uni in Kansas for an MBA.
This was how my interview went:
VO: what school are you going to?
ME: said
Vo: course?
Me: said
VO: how did you know about the school
Me: told her on the internet
VO: why did you choose it
ME: gave some reasons
VO: where did you get your first degree.
ME: University of abuja.
VO: what course?
ME: Economics
VO: do you still live in abuja?
ME: no, I stay in lagos now.
VO: what have you been doing since you graduated in 2010
ME: I did my youth service(told her where I worked) and I joined the family business in August '11
VO: who is your sponsor?(I must mention here that $12000 out of my $23304 schools fees has been paid because its a criteria in the school before I20 can be sent to you)
ME: my sister and my mum and the business decided to pay a little part of my fees per year
VO: asked for bank staements
ME: I showed.(I dunno if this was the problem: my sister's balance is about 3.5m but my mum's is about 500k. My mum's own is low cause she just finished building a block of flats)
VO: How many other schools I applied to.
ME: Uni of Washington, Portland state university and Michigan state university.
VO: why did you chose Pitt state
ME: Said.(I said something like "pittsburg state uni has a small business development center that helps new and existing businesses
, and the graduate students will be able to work with the businesses and assist in the center. I didn't clearly explain what I meant. I think the word "work" I said there shot me in the foot.)She typed for long on her computer and said "sorry your visa cannot be issued at this time" and gave me that 214(b) letter.
Please does anyone know if something else could be the reason for denial and what I can do to better my chances cause I want to re apply.
School resumes on the 11th of August.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 02, 2013
Pls experts here, help me I wanna go to America b4 dis year ends.. Whether by visiting, tour, or student visa.. I'm currently an OOU student 200L.. Pls put me tru everybody plus I'm only 17yrs

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lolabunny90: 8:37pm On May 02, 2013
kcluv2men:

Well done, u have anything on TOEFL?

Sorry only IELTS sad
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Confirmvisa: 8:49pm On May 02, 2013
I was deny visa in the morning after reading all your posts. The VO's were unfair rejecting everybody. I have read this page for sometimes and people are not solidarified by correcting our interview anymore. imperiouxx,justwise,yvete,mamacitta,anthonymighty you all gurus were once in my shoe and if you want god's blessings be of help to others continuously. Its not by quarelling rubbing shoulders and ignoring our help. Anyway this is my 2nd rejection in the us embassy: I - Good Morning Sir! (smiling) VO- So what program do you wish to pursue? I- Computer Science sir. VO- Ok which university are you planning to attend? I - american intercontinental uni. VO- which of the campus? I- Atlanta campus sir. VO- Atlanta? I- yes sir. VO- Which all universities you applied to? I- Cameron university, aiu, blablabla VO- So why aiu? I- Sir this university is the best match for my profile in terms of course, curriculum and finances. I’ve been in touch with some of the faculty members. VO- Sorry sir… I cant issue you a visa today… I- sir why? you didn't even ask why usa, who is my sponsor blablabla VO- Even today I cannot issue you a visa this paper explains the reason and hands me over the same 214b paper again. I- Would you like to see my documents?VO- No we don’t see any documents. Please leave and thanks for coming. I- Thank you sir. what should I change before I go back?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 9:13pm On May 02, 2013
ivory23456: Hi everyone, this is the first time I'm commenting here. Been reading all your posts. I had my visa interview today in lagos and I was denied sad. While all the male VO's were just approving visas, the lady VO was just denying all that came along.
ME: I did my youth service(told her where I worked) and I joined the family business in August '11
VO: who is your sponsor?(I must mention here that $12000 out of my $23304 schools fees has been paid because its a criteria in the school before I20 can be sent to you)
ME: my sister and my mum and the business decided to pay a little part of my fees per year
ME: I showed.(I dunno if this was the problem: my sister's balance is about 3.5m but my mum's is about 500k. My mum's own is low cause she just finished building a block of flats)
ME: Said.(I said something like "pittsburg state uni has a small business development center that helps new and existing businesses
, and the graduate students will be able to work with the businesses and assist in the center. I didn't clearly explain what I meant. I think the word "work" I said there shot me in the foot.)She typed for long on her computer and said "sorry your visa cannot be issued at this time" and gave me that 214(b) letter.
Please does anyone know if something else could be the reason for denial and what I can do to better my chances cause I want to re apply.
your interview was not too bad but I think you was denied because you had 2 sponsors and the funds in their account was not really sufficient..you should reapply with only one sponsor with sufficient funds of at least one year school fees in his account.. I wish you good luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 9:24pm On May 02, 2013
Allohrandy: your interview was not too bad but I think you was denied because you had 2 sponsors and the funds in their account was not really sufficient..you should reapply with only one sponsor with sufficient funds of at least one year school fees in his account.. I wish you good luck

Hey, thanks for the reply. But I mean.... Even with half of my fees already paid?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 9:24pm On May 02, 2013
Confirmvisa: I was deny visa in the morning after reading all your posts. The VO's were unfair rejecting everybody. I have read this page for sometimes and people are not solidarified by correcting our interview anymore. imperiouxx,justwise,yvete,mamacitta,anthonymighty you all gurus were once in my shoe and if you want god's blessings be of help to others continuously. Its not by quarelling rubbing shoulders and ignoring our help. Anyway this is my 2nd rejection in the us embassy: I - Good Morning Sir! (smiling) VO- So what program do you wish to pursue? I- Computer Science sir. VO- Ok which university are you planning to attend? I - american intercontinental uni. VO- which of the campus? I- Atlanta campus sir. VO- Atlanta? I- yes sir. VO- Which all universities you applied to? I- Cameron university, aiu, blablabla VO- So why aiu? I- Sir this university is the best match for my profile in terms of course, curriculum and finances. I’ve been in touch with some of the faculty members. VO- Sorry sir… I cant issue you a visa today… I- sir why? you didn't even ask why usa, who is my sponsor blablabla VO- Even today I cannot issue you a visa this paper explains the reason and hands me over the same 214b paper again. I- Would you like to see my documents?VO- No we don’t see any documents. Please leave and thanks for coming. I- Thank you sir. what should I change before I go back?
I don't really know why you was denied visa but you should wait for a while before reapplying because this is your 2nd denial this year. it's very difficult( tho it's possible) to get a visa after the 2nd denial, so you should wait for a while before applying again. You should also try other countries like Canada
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 9:36pm On May 02, 2013
ivory23456:

Hey, thanks for the reply. But I mean.... Even with half of my fees already paid?
did you go with any prove that you paid the school fees during your visa interview ? Unlike UK student visa, it is highly unusual for schools in US to demand for school fees before you get your visa. Anyway, I still think it's better to use one sponsor with sufficient fund of at least one year school fees in his account when you reapply..I wish you good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 9:39pm On May 02, 2013
Allohrandy: did you go with any prove that you paid the school fees during your visa interview ? Unlike UK student visa, it is highly unusual for schools in US to demand for school fees before you get your visa.

Yeah it was stated on I20, that part payment had been made. I guess she didn't see it.
Thanks again for advice, I'll consider that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 9:53pm On May 02, 2013
mr swagger: Hello everyone, I say a big thank you to u all for contributing actively to the growth of this thread.

I have a little problem. I applied to my school in US for undergraduate studies for Fall session. I mailed my mastercard Card Number when filling the application form to the school in US to pay for my application fee.

The school contacted me yesterday and told me that I should send my mastercard verification code, which I later sent to them. The 3 digit number at the back of my mastercard was what I suggested was the verification code which I sent to them.

I have used that same Mastercard to buy My SAT textbooks online on Amazon. But I was shocked when they contacted me today and said the card did not work.

Please what can I do. Does anyone have any idea or have encountered similar problem like dis before.

you should contact your bank..I think they will be in a better position to advice you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 9:55pm On May 02, 2013
umoski1: Hello House,Pls i need your advice.I just got my 1-20 today and am thinking of using my GTB mastercard to pay for my sevis fee online at FMJFEE.com instead of going all the way to Cotonou.i want to know if i an use my ATM card to pay for the sevis fee? thanks and God bless
you cant pay with your GTB mastercard.. you can only pay in Contonou or contact a friend in the US to pay for you.. I wish you good luck in your visa interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:55pm On May 02, 2013
kcluv2men: Please help with TOEFL study materials. It's needed urgently. Thanks house
Send an email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an immediate email response containing the download links for TOEFL, plus GRE and GMAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:58pm On May 02, 2013
kumulus:

Need it too....can you send it to abiodunkumuyi@yahoo.com i'll be writting the TOEFL though.
Send an email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an immediate email response containing the download links for TOEFL, plus GRE and GMAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:01pm On May 02, 2013
mr swagger: Hello everyone, I say a big thank you to u all for contributing actively to the growth of this thread.

What card was that? GTB? If GTB it should have worked. I used same to pay my application fees all through. Why can't you pay by yourself from down here in Nigeria since you said you've used it severally and it worked for you?

If in the end paying online doesn't work, then you might have to pay via a money order.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 10:03pm On May 02, 2013
Amefrica: Pls experts here, help me I wanna go to America b4 dis year ends.. Whether by visiting, tour, or student visa.. I'm currently an OOU student 200L.. Pls put me tru everybody plus I'm only 17yrs
you sound like you don tire for Nigeria grin grin.. Anyway, you are still very young so you should try to graduate from OOU with good grades, then you can easily come over to the States for your masters..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 10:05pm On May 02, 2013
ivory23456: Hi everyone, this is the first time I'm commenting here. Been reading all your posts. I had my visa interview today in lagos and I was denied sad. While all the male VO's were just approving visas, the lady VO was just denying all that came along.

Your Interview is not that bad BUT why not tell us the exact things you said on this highlighted words. its matters in evaluating and pointing out your mistake.
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nitoksyahooco(m): 10:06pm On May 02, 2013
Thanks so much friends. I really appreciate that. Let me try my luck. God bless.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:06pm On May 02, 2013

You'll have to type your interview experience in full in order to aid us pinpoint exactly which of your answers caused your denial. You only gave us one of your answers which you think is the cause of your problem, which may not be your problem. Recollect yourself and your actual replies and post them here in full like others do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nitoksyahooco(m): 10:10pm On May 02, 2013
@fitty, thanks and God bless you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 10:22pm On May 02, 2013
Kunsoft:

Your Interview is not that bad BUT why not tell us the exact things you said on this highlighted words. its matters in evaluating and pointing out your mistake.
Thanks

School: pittsburg state university
Course: MBA
Reasons I gave: its business school is accredited by the AACSB and that its one of 28 schools to be endorsed with an internal audit program(something like this is what I said)
Although I'm not tensed now, I may not have said it then as clearly as I have written it now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:27pm On May 02, 2013
Confirmvisa: I was deny visa in the morning after reading all your posts. The VO's were unfair rejecting everybody. I have read this page for sometimes and people are not solidarified by correcting our interview anymore. imperiouxx,justwise,yvete,mamacitta,anthonymighty you all gurus were once in my shoe and if you want god's blessings be of help to others continuously. Its not by quarelling rubbing shoulders and ignoring our help. Anyway this is my 2nd rejection in the us embassy: I - Good Morning Sir! (smiling) VO- So what program do you wish to pursue? I- Computer Science sir. VO- Ok which university are you planning to attend? I - american intercontinental uni. VO- which of the campus? I- Atlanta campus sir. VO- Atlanta? I- yes sir. VO- Which all universities you applied to? I- Cameron university, aiu, blablabla VO- So why aiu? I- Sir this university is the best match for my profile in terms of course, curriculum and finances. I’ve been in touch with some of the faculty members. VO- Sorry sir… I cant issue you a visa today… I- sir why? you didn't even ask why usa, who is my sponsor blablabla VO- Even today I cannot issue you a visa this paper explains the reason and hands me over the same 214b paper again. I- Would you like to see my documents?VO- No we don’t see any documents. Please leave and thanks for coming. I- Thank you sir. what should I change before I go back?

The bolded above is the main cause of your denial. You applied to a poorly rated university which tipped off quickly to the visa officer that you're not serious about studying. I ran a quick check-up on the school and the specifics are not looking good. I'll quickly quote here what I saw:

Today, AIU has about 24,000 students and offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degrees in programs such as business, IT, criminal justice and fashion design.[5] More than 80 percent of AIU students attend AIU Online, an internet-based online campus that delivers degree programs 100 percent online.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_InterContinental_University

1) You applied to a university where over 80% of its students take classes over the internet?

On the introductory page of wikipedia,

American InterContinental University, commonly called AIU, is an international for-profit university with open admissions owned by Career Education Corporation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For-profit_university

2) This is a for-profit university that is owned by private individuals and run the school like a business for the purposes of profit-making. The school is not an education-oriented school. And this quickly sent bad signals to the visa officer.

3) Third, this is an open-admissions university where unselective and non-competitive college admissions are made in which the only criterion for entrance is a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.[1]
For real?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_admissions

These are why the VO didn't bother even asking for extra documents from you after having heard the name of the school. Believe me, the VOs know a great deal about the educational institutions in their country.

My brother/sister, the best thing for you to do is to find better education-oriented schools, apply to them and go for your visa interview again. Else if you keep going back to the embassy again and again with this same school, you're likely to get denied with the same measure.

I'm not sure you went through this thread before applying or going for your interview if not you would have avoided this mistake you made. This school is in the same league as Devry, VIU and Everest which all guarantee automatic denial in most interview cases.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ivory23456(f): 10:28pm On May 02, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You'll have to type your interview experience in full in order to aid us pinpoint exactly which of your answers caused your denial. You only gave us one of your answers which you think is the cause of your problem, which may not be your problem. Recollect yourself and your actual replies and post them here in full like others do.

To be honest that's basically all.
She asked the why pittsburg Uni twice and I gave 2 different answers.
The first being that its accredited by the aacsb(association to advance collegiate schools of business) and that its endorsed with an internal audit program.
The second is the answer I wrote earlier on. This is my confusion too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:35pm On May 02, 2013
umoski1: Hello House,Pls i need your advice.I just got my 1-20 today and am thinking of using my GTB mastercard to pay for my sevis fee online at FMJFEE.com instead of going all the way to Cotonou.i want to know if i an use my ATM card to pay for the sevis fee? thanks and God bless

You CAN'T pay Sevis fee with your card. Get a friend or relative in who is out of the country to get it done for you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 02, 2013
Allohrandy: you sound like you don tire for Nigeria grin grin.. Anyway, you are still very young so you should try to graduate from OOU with good grades, then you can easily come over to the States for your masters..

Ok sir, can I get green card tru it ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:39pm On May 02, 2013

Did you tell them its a DEBIT card and not a CREDIT card? Because that's could have been the issue when they were about to deduct their fees.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:48pm On May 02, 2013

Your narration isn't complete.
-What course did you apply
-What reasons did you give for choosing the school.
- Where did you state you work and what type of business does your family do?
- And your sponsor statement seems kinda low. The V.O would have probably wondered why your sister would want to spend over a half of what she's got in her bank account for your fees
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:48pm On May 02, 2013
Amefrica: Pls experts here, help me I wanna go to America b4 dis year ends.. Whether by visiting, tour, or student visa.. I'm currently an OOU student 200L.. Pls put me tru everybody plus I'm only 17yrs
undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:55pm On May 02, 2013
ivory23456:

To be honest that's basically all.
She asked the why pittsburg Uni twice and I gave 2 different answers.
The first being that its accredited by the aacsb(association to advance collegiate schools of business) and that its endorsed with an internal audit program.
The second is the answer I wrote earlier on. This is my confusion too.
Your choice of school is good - it is a public research university which means it is open to receiving funds and endowments.
However, I suspect that your problem was inconsistency. Inconsistency in your given answer for choosing the school and inconsistency in bank account statements. As for the bank statements, you would need to select only one sponsor and go with their bank statement thereof. Even if it means transferring to your sister's account your mom's 500k and printing out a new statement to reflect a bigger combined amount, that would perfectly look good. And next time, try to be consistent with your answers. Don't dilly-dally and give into giving inconsistent answers. Apart from these, I think your general performance was okay.
My two cents.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:57pm On May 02, 2013
Amefrica:

Ok sir, can I get green card tru it ?

Lol cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.