Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71222 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by aryzgreat: 11:34am On Mar 22, 2013
Desola: sincerest condolences to the Igbos on this irreplaceable loss.

I commiserate with you all.

Am i seeing well? Praise d Lord somebody! I see a bright light at d end of the tunnel.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by motunolajide(f): 11:35am On Mar 22, 2013
Literary Giant gone!RIP Chinua Achebe.u live on in ur works...Things fall apart the centre can no longer hold and It has come to collect the debt owe
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by OAM4J: 11:35am On Mar 22, 2013

smiley

May his soul RIP.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by gratiaeo(m): 11:35am On Mar 22, 2013
R I P
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by sylve11: 11:36am On Mar 22, 2013
One man i have so much respect for. Journey well Mr. Achebe!. sad sad cool
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by vanbonattel: 11:36am On Mar 22, 2013

There is still hope for Nigeria, thank God.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by econity(m): 11:37am On Mar 22, 2013
Ecclesiastic 3 said it all. There is a time to be born and a time to die...
What matters most is the legacy you create while on earth. What will posterity remember you for.
Prof. you have lived you life to your best which many will attest to. Do you are dead but you memory lives on in the life of millions.
RIP great man.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by ypzilanti: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2013
Things Fall Apart was listed in times 100 greatest books of all time.

No small achievement for a man who attended public school in Nigeria (Government College, Umuahia).

We need to ask ourselves if a public school in Nigeria can produce Wole Soyinka, Cyprian Ekwensi, Chinua Achebe, etc...

Nigeria has lost it.

I hope the news is wrong sha. If true, then he died without ever witnessing Nigeria's return to glory. RIP.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Reference(m): 11:38am On Mar 22, 2013
An Icon is fallen. The black race has lost one of its finest whose works may never be equaled but whose legacy stands forever. You were one of those who made me love books and the art of introspection.

May his family, folks and fans bear this loss with nothing but kind memories of his life and times.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Lilimax(f): 11:38am On Mar 22, 2013
Empty 5alive container making noise, mtchewww.
[/quote]
Seems to me that we some empty vessels on this thread today making some annoying noise. I better sign off to do something reasonable.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nonybb: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2013
After Ojukwu come Achebe, wat is happening to the igbos!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by theripper: 11:38am On Mar 22, 2013

Sarcasm right. We know too well.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by gratiaeo(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2013
Umu Igbo nnukwu Ihe mere anyi, ma ka anyi dibe

3 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Aringarosa(m): 11:39am On Mar 22, 2013

Is this post really from Iya olode Desola?

Hmmm...this 2013 is gonna be a mervelous year. The Igbos should lean from this lady, never knew something good could come from her as what concerns the Igbos talk less of Achebe.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Maxymilliano(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2013
Nigeria’s literary icon and publisher of several novels, Chinua Achebe, is dead.

Mr. Achebe, 82, died in the United States where he was said to have suffered from an undisclosed ailment.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt he died last night in a hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, United States.

A source close to the family said the professorhad been ill for a while and was hospitalised in an undisclosed hospital in Boston.

The source declined to provide further details, saying the family would issue a statement on the development later today.

Contacted, spokesperson for Brown University, where Mr. Achebe worked until he took ill, Darlene Trewcrist, is yet to respond to our enquiries on the professor’s condition.

Until his death, the renowned author of Things Fall Apart was the David and Marianna Fisher University Professor and Professor of Africana Studies at Brown.

The University described him as “known the world over for having played a seminal role inthe founding and development of African literature.”

“Achebe’s global significance lies not only in his talent and recognition as a writer, but also as a critical thinker and essayist who has written extensively on questions of the role of culture in Africa and the social and political significance of aesthetics and analysis of the post colonial state in Africa,” Brown University writes of the literary icon.
Mr. Achebe was the author of Things Fall

Apart, published in 1958, and considered the most widely read book in modern African Literature. The book sold over 12 million copies and has been translated to over 50 languages worldwide.

Many of his other novels, including Arrow of God, No Longer at Ease, Anthills of the Savannah, and A man of the People, were equally influential as well.

Prof Achebe was born in Ogidi, Anambra State, on November 16, 1930 and attended St Philips’ Central School at the age of six.

He moved away from his family to Nekede, four kilometres from Owerri, the capital of Imo State, at the age of 12 and registered at the Central School there.

He attended Government College Umuahia for his secondary school education. He was a pioneer student of the University College, now University of Ibadan in 1948. He was first admitted to study medicine but changed to English, history and theology after his first year.

While studying at Ibadan, Mr. Achebe began to become critical of European literature about Africa. He eventually wrote his final papers in the University in 1953 and emergedwith a second-class degree.

Prof Achebe taught for a while after graduation before joining the Nigeria Broadcasting Service in 1954 in Lagos.

While in Lagos with the Broadcast ing Service, Mr. Achebe met Christie Okoli, who later became his wife; they got married in 1961. The couple had four children.

He also played a major role during the Nigeria Civil War where he joined the Biafran Government as an ambassador.

His latest book, There Was a Country , was an autobiography on his experiences and views of the civil war. The book was probably the most criticised of his writings especially by Nigerians, with many arguing that the professor did not write a balanced account and wrote more as a Biafran than as a Nigerian.

Mr. Achebe was a consistent critic of various military dictators that ruled Nigeria and was a loud voice in denouncing the failure of governance in the country.

Twice, he rejected offers by the Nigerian government to grant him a national honour, citing the deplorable political situations in thecountry, particularly in his home state of Anambra, as reason.

6 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Shadydamsel(f): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2013
Not happy joor cryNot happy joor Things have finally fallen apart 4 him. Y naa
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Airforce1(m): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2013
Lilimax:
Empty 5alive container making noise, mtchewww.

Seems to me that we some empty vessels on this thread today making some annoying noise. I better sign off to do something reasonable.

Yeah
Sign off and get back to work
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by galadee(m): 11:42am On Mar 22, 2013
Paentera:

Is it true about Maitama Sule passing on? I missed that news.

i wanted to ask that question too.... RIP prof
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by foward1212(m): 11:42am On Mar 22, 2013
Rest in Peace great Icon of Literature, u really did give a lot to society.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by nku5: 11:42am On Mar 22, 2013

Thanks and God bless
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by JUO(m): 11:42am On Mar 22, 2013
oh
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nonybb: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2013
Airforce1:

Yeah
Sign off and get back to work
airforce sorry are u the one with HIV treatment. How is the treatment going. Hope u are taking ur drugs well bro
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by omidhe(f): 11:43am On Mar 22, 2013
embarassedAchebe lived a good life , and fought a good war with his pen. Rest in peace my hero , a great lost to the nation
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by calcal: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2013
Hope of another naija receiving nobel laureate is diminishing grin RIP
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 22, 2013
Please where can I get a pirated copy of there was a country cuz I really need it now that things have fallen apart ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (39) (Reply)

Gallant Nigerian Soldiers In A Live Gun Battle With Boko Haram Terrorists (Pics) / Nnamdi Kanu: I Will Hunt Ene Okon Children If They Kill One At My Parents Burial / APC Primary: This Is The Time To Take Revenge, Tinubu Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.