Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. (19006 Views)

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids / The Best Way To Ask For Salary Increase From Your Boss And Get It ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
Not for Nigeria Labour market sha.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by dahmie2013: 3:52pm On Mar 22, 2013
chucky234: The points raised are all irrelevant to the Nigerian society,imagine a situation where 700 people applied for a job ad that needed to employ just 10 people and you happen to be one of the final ten,will you begin to put those points into consideration after spending close to four years at home after graduation.
No sane graduate will begin to read through those points with the humiliation and challenges that come with being jobless after many years of graduation,I think naija job seekers knows better.
In short! Daz or!
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by rodeo0070(m): 4:07pm On Mar 22, 2013
Sike: Dear OP, We all know that this issue is easier said than done in this our stubborn Nigeria. Thank you.
Yes, I agree with you. But we all know what we want in life. I had to turn down some job offers 'cos of one factor or two. Getting a job is one thing, enslaving one's self is another. Some jobs are not just it @ all. Nigerian graduates will accept anything thrown @ them, cos the state of the nation encourages it. sad sad sad
Until you are into some jobs, that's when you'd realize that you are in a quagmire. Some jobs are just modernized slavery. Imagine working for the Chinese, the Arabs, Japanese etc and even some so-called jobs provided by some Nigerians as well.
Lets just hope for the best...
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Morgan1092(m): 4:18pm On Mar 22, 2013
Nice thread
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Zakkyoz: 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2013
I want to believe the op is not a nigerian. Those factors can only be considered in a normal country with stable economic and industrial policies and not in nigeria. What consideration do you want to make in a country(nigeria) where poor graduates pay heavy amount of money as a bribe before getting a job?
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by gift53(f): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
@op as if u knw wat 'm goin thru now
i got a job recently where i was employed as a system engineer. Now i don start work com dey expect to express my skills as well as learn n build my career, but lo and behold na sales girl dem com dey use me for. nothin relates to system engineering there, its all about sales (computer gadgets though). Its so frustratin. I felt like leaving but then i had to exercise patience and suffer d humiliation till i get a better job jst for the fact dat i cant keep staying idle @home.
dis country sef angry cry
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
With d high rate of unemployment in this country, I am sorry for you and your family, if u are jobless, given a job offer and u end up, weighing the offer against all what the OP posted...
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Abisoyebabe(f): 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
we are not given the chance to choose offer in Nigeria unlike other countries where you can them this what i want and i don't want.my case is even an example when i dnt have closing time
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by rodeo0070(m): 5:25pm On Mar 22, 2013
gift53: @op as if u knw wat 'm goin thru now
i got a job recently where i was employed as a system engineer. Now i don start work com dey expect to express my skills as well as learn n build my career, but lo and behold na sales girl dem com dey use me for. nothin relates to system engineering there, its all about sales (computer gadgets though). Its so frustratin. I felt like leaving but then i had to exercise patience and suffer d humiliation till i get a better job jst for the fact dat i cant keep staying idle @home.
dis country sef angry cry
I understand you perfectly well. Keep on doing it...
To be honest, you are still better than millions of graduates out there. Things are extremely harsh when it comes to getting a job. People do get over-qualified to be qualified for a job (Masters holder in a private primary school).Use that as an opportunity to develop yourself with the little you earn. And don't forget, experience matters. See yourself on the "learning curve", so to say. You might be lucky to discover another path for yourself...
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by rodeo0070(m): 5:34pm On Mar 22, 2013
Zakkyoz: I want to believe the op is not a nigerian. Those factors can only be considered in a normal country with stable economic and industrial policies and not in nigeria. What consideration do you want to make in a country(nigeria) where poor graduates pay heavy amount of money as a bribe before getting a job?
I am a Nigerian my brother. And...
I know what it means to be unemployed.
I know what it means when merit is thrown out of the window to pave way for "Nigerian factor".
I know what it means to wait in the sun/rain waiting to be called in for a job that is already taken.
I know what it means to meet a junior "padi" of yours working in the very place you submitted your application.
I know what it means to send "mega numerous" mails(soft and hard copies) both solicited and unsolicited ones, including walk-ins.
If you read the first paragraph of the post, I think it should highlight the main essence of the write up...
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by LeJeun3: 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
Fhemmmy: I will say only in a normal society and not in Nigeria where you take a job just to leave the house daily . . . But hope all these will change sooner than later

Boss, you said it all. Sometimes the frustration of staying at home drive millions into frustrating situations!
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by vital: 6:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
nawa for naija.i saw some ladies and gents writing their letter of acceptance without the enumeration in their appointment letter.NEW INEC INTAKE.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by adim2(m): 7:07pm On Mar 22, 2013
As an undergraduate with a struggling family, you dear not reject any job offer given to you otherwise. You will be thrown out of the house immediately. Can u imagine the mental, physical, psychological stress one goes through to get a job? B.Sc holder applying for sales girl and sales boy, yet they won't pick you. God na ur hand naija youth dey
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Smoj(m): 7:12pm On Mar 22, 2013
If u try am 4 9ja, na hunger go kill u
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 22, 2013
If you get Nestle or Chevron or GE job what question are you asking again? You go grab am nah.

That said a bird in hand is worth two in d bush. And you can leverage on your experience to get a better job.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by jljunayd1: 8:17pm On Mar 22, 2013
Its frustrating,goin thru all dis,hail d 9ja spirit,dou am still a student still i dont giv ma self too much concern abt d job status,i just knw i cant settle for less,cos i knw what it looks lyk,d truth is youth shud try to be skilled,dats helps a bit,

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by olawumia(m): 8:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
.....too bad . the Op i hale ,good job.its not easy out there mostly for those without a job to agree ,and at the same time some plpp still keep there head up and never ready to settle for less. i remember i started my career with 40k , (2011). i reside in okota and the office was in agugi (ajha express)i got to d office on one pretty friday morning,and my md (a lady )said i sud go to vi (ajose )to buy fud for her.i looked @ myself and i said "James 2:1 graduate,naija where u dey ). i went, 3 days after she sent me again ,one day she said i sud take her cloth to her taylor .i told rite way ,Ma on my letter i have admin off icer not office assistant.She said even her driver is a msc holder from ife that if i cant work i sud leave, i told her thk u ma . i dropped my letter.

2 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by olawumia(m): 8:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
the next org i joined, i was d hrm,during an interview ,(final stage ) a girl collected her cv back,when she heard we pay 70k to mkters... my md was dumbfounded,he caled her back offered 95k with commission. before i left she was d head of mkting unit and she bought a gud car within 4 months wif her commission.
a frd of mine left his job (120k) though he ate garri for like 8 months but now he pays salary.its gud to start from somewhere no matter how small,but some job ll kill ur career, its better not too Start from. any job that ll not add value to ur cv pls dont take it mostly one man biz ,some of dem r career killer .

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by olsmade(m): 9:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
nenergy: Turn down offer ke, For Nigeria? Unless you already have a job. A job seeker will accept any paying job regardless of the conditions. In Nigeria, it is He/she who already has a job, that gets jobs.

trust me, u can turn down a job offer. was on d verge of getting a job when i was told i had to sign a 5 yr bond wiv dem. For where? I ja. I have a job now with about half the pay but im happy.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by rodeo0070(m): 9:07pm On Mar 22, 2013
olawumia: .....too bad . the Op i hale ,good job.its not easy out there mostly for those without a job to agree ,and at the same time some plpp still keep there head up and never ready to settle for less. i remember i started my career with 40k , (2011). i reside in okota and the office was in agugi (ajha express)i got to d office on one pretty friday morning,and my md (a lady )said i sud go to vi (ajose )to buy fud for her.i looked @ myself and i said "James 2:1 graduate,naija where u dey ). i went, 3 days after she sent me again ,one day she said i sud take her cloth to her taylor .i told rite way ,Ma on my letter i have admin off icer not office assistant.She said even her driver is a msc holder from ife that if i cant work i sud leave, i told her thk u ma . i dropped my letter.

LMAO!!!
I started with 26k, (2011) as salary. Trust me mine is far hilarious than yours. Its not how far but how well...
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Venchy: 9:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
This is a good tips for young stars but will the Oga at the top have the courage to listen to this question or display their dictatorship character and their ignorance??
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by festuskol(m): 11:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
ngoziliz: after reading everything, i feel like quitting my job!
no need 2announce cos as we speak am surd dt over 1000 unemployed applicants r already applying 4ur position. Wise up bro. Its a jungle out there. Chill-out, strategize, dont aim aimlessly.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 23, 2013
teninches: If you get Nestle or Chevron or GE job what question are you asking again? You go grab am nah.

That said a bird in hand is worth two in d bush. And you can leverage on your experience to get a better job.
still depends, most GE jobs in Nigeria are sales related. Only good when you have a marketing degree. Else you would end up using an engineering degree to sell hospital equipments.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by sixteen08(m): 8:00am On Mar 23, 2013
olsmade:

trust me, u can turn down a job offer. was on d verge of getting a job when i was told i had to sign a 5 yr bond wiv dem. For where? I ja. I have a job now with about half the pay but im happy.

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin 5yrs bond ke.....shey won fe pa e ni (dem wan kill u) abi na mechanic trade u wan learn ni cheesy grin anyways am happy 4 u 2 av ja...ur children wuld b 4eva grateful *thumbs up*
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by LeJeun3: 8:31am On Mar 23, 2013
saxywale:
still depends, most GE jobs in Nigeria are sales related. Only good when you have a marketing degree. Else you would end up using an engineering degree to sell hospital equipments.

Nearly fallen for this several times......but have been restrained by my desire to Practice.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by 234GT(m): 3:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
I don't think there is a perfect job out there. If you meet people working with Shell or BBC, they will still complain about their jobs.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by LeJeun3: 4:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
234GT: I don't think there is a perfect job out there. If you meet people working with Shell or BBC, they will still complain about their jobs.

Guy, free the matter jare............is there complaint real or the natural disgruntled nature of man? Abi, then no want help person? Someone, who complained of not being able to give me a loan of N100K, 3days later purchased an SUV of about N4.5million.......wink:p
Re: Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. by inositol011: 11:20pm On Mar 23, 2013
Noted.hhmmmm....but it s not easy for a nigerian fresh graduate to turn down a job offer considering d situation.well, we can use it as a bargainin options sha.good post wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dismissed Staff Were Adequately Compensated – Heritage Bank / Medical Doctors In Residency Programmes In Nigeria / The Benefits Of Working As A Freelancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.