Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,924 members, 7,810,541 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! (22800 Views)

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? / MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by germyu: 12:58am On Apr 23, 2016
I am a software developer, I create amazing things for companies; I have a good portfolio of projects I have developed, my applications are used my hundreds of thousand of Nigerians. I prefer to keep a low profile and my identity hidden.
I'm presently working for a start-up company that has a very huge prospect. This is my Six(6) months of employment and I developed an amazing web portal for the company in the said time. Truth of the matter, no one believed the web portal was ever done in Nigeria because businessmen/employer in the business or domain underestimate local talents; their believe so much in Indian/US software developers. I stopped the company from paying $68,000 to software development company in India. The web portal is now LIVE. grin and we're having huge traffic and good remark about the website.
My CHALLENGE
My currently earning about N200K monthly, and our competitor is offering me a N350K monthly. My boss found out about the offer and call me to a man-to-man private meeting and offer me a N50K salary increment, housing allowance of N500K yearly and 2Week vacation to Dubai.

I presently work in Abuja, while the offer is in Lagos. I love Abuja, but I have feelings for the N350K offer. grin grin
Am afraid of moving to Lagos due to family problems, however it can be prevented If i stay away. Also am still an undergraduate, although I can transfer my study centre to Lagos.

PLS ADVICE
Should I stay with my current employer or move with the new offer?

Pls ignore my typos. Thanks.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Nobody: 1:03am On Apr 23, 2016
Exploring is great..but ofcurz u have to weigh both companies...

Go to a company who offers more benefits wink
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by thesicilian: 1:04am On Apr 23, 2016
seems it will pay you more staying at your current job, when you consider
- initial cost of housing in Lagos
- cost in time & money of transferring your study to Lagos
- Dubai vacation
- You prefer abuja
- peace of mind from family

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Nobody: 1:04am On Apr 23, 2016
My boss found out about the offer
and call me to a man-to-man private meeting
and offer me a N50K salary increment,
housing allowance of N500K yearly and
2Week vacation to Dubai.
I presently work in Abuja, while the offer is in
Lagos.

+--+++-bros just stay with ur boss

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Philomath1212: 1:13am On Apr 23, 2016
Your current boss sincerely know your worth.
In my own little experience, the fact that he swiftly provided further benefits for you, please stay with him.
Sir, everything is not about money, value counts alot. Since you are still young there (6months), think of career development, later a bigger offer worth millions will come and you never can tell where your current boss will stand in gap for you.
Most organizations conduct BC which gives one's former employer leverage to say what one is.

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Cutehector(m): 2:50am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with your current employer..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by delishpot: 4:11am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay where you are.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by chimah3(m): 6:31am On Apr 23, 2016
undecided
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by idu1(m): 6:31am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with your current job....

6 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by anochuko01(m): 6:32am On Apr 23, 2016
START YOUR COMPANY! BE A FREE LANCER!
you would earn millions in a month, have more time than you think, you would have the comfort of working from your home, you would be an employer of labour. my brother think! don't allow those people use you to make money and give you peanuts! think!

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by powerben(m): 6:32am On Apr 23, 2016
Love ur job but never love ur employer.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Nobody: 6:32am On Apr 23, 2016
Leave Lagos and stay in Abuja
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by swimcash(m): 6:33am On Apr 23, 2016
weigh both options n go wit who pays d more
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by otswag(m): 6:34am On Apr 23, 2016
Guy! Read ur post again. Weigh d pros and cons of both options and you'd realise d best choice is as clear as day. How much be 100k extra pay sef compared with d benefits in ur current job. Guy, u will grow faster and will probably start earning alot more than 250k in no time if u continue wt your good works. Once you have an employer who truly appreciates your performance, loyalty is all u need to explode.

24 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Hollawaley(m): 6:34am On Apr 23, 2016
Dunno oh but if i were you, i'll go with the 350k job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by AntiWailer: 6:34am On Apr 23, 2016
First what is the prospect of the new organization ?

if they are stable, move.

it is not about the money.

Your Boss will never forgive you for ever thinking of moving to a competitor.

Forget the housing allowance and the 50k increment and Dubai ish.

Your boss will simply prepare for your exit and u might never collect any of that allowance.

Let me hint you how it will be done and u can quote me any where . I have seen this happen multiple times.

He will take a new intern who will under study you. The guy would be paid way less and the smart guy will show so much competence that your boss will start feeling like you are over paid. That is where the regret will start from.

Once u say goodnight !!!!! Fight the Law of INERTIA and move on.

(I am talking to u as a senior in that field and when I say senior I meant I have over 10years experience in the same field and of course earning more than twice ur new offer in the worst month of the year)

If I may ask u ? What are u doing in a One Man Company if you have such skill set ?

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Vince77(m): 6:34am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with current job.
You sound like a NOUN student. Are u one?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Hollawaley(m): 6:35am On Apr 23, 2016
Dunno oh but if i were you, i'll just stay with dah boss
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Jamesaugustine(m): 6:36am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with your current job considering your family and education and additional compensation.

Note: 1st ask your boss to make all d promises official with new offer letter otherwise if itz jst only verbal promise of promotion without official documented .

PLS MovVE TO LAGOS WIT UR 350K offer and face new challenge which will contribute and enhance your career.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by bbulldog(m): 6:37am On Apr 23, 2016
My brother, please stay where you are. Loyalty is a step to greatness.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by pet4ril(f): 6:37am On Apr 23, 2016
Hmmm shocked see money ooooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by IrradiatoR: 6:38am On Apr 23, 2016
stay with your current boss with hope and prospect of bigger achievements, , ,

the additives (50K monthly + 500K annual + Dubai trip) when calculated on a monthly basis is almost hitting #350K if not more

and avoiding the "family problems" is also very important, especially now that you are a starter or young

3 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Jeffy1206(m): 6:38am On Apr 23, 2016
It's simple, stay with your boss since he value your worth by swiftly increasing all your benefits... The devil you know is better than the Angel you've not seen... I like people who start from the very beginning. Stay put!!!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Nobody: 6:39am On Apr 23, 2016
germyu:
I am a software developer, I create amazing things for companies; I have a good portfolio of projects I have developed, my applications are used my hundreds of thousand of Nigerians. I prefer to keep a low profile and my identity hidden.
I'm presently working for a start-up company that has a very huge prospect. This is my Six(6) months of employment and I developed an amazing web portal for the company in the said time. Truth of the matter, no one believed the web portal was ever done in Nigeria because businessmen/employer in the business or domain underestimate local talents; their believe so much in Indian/US software developers. I stopped the company from paying $68,000 to software development company in India. The web portal is now LIVE. grin and we're having huge traffic and good remark about the website.
My CHALLENGE
My currently earning about N200K monthly, and our competitor is offering me a N350K monthly. My boss found out about the offer and call me to a man-to-man private meeting and offer me a N50K salary increment, housing allowance of N500K yearly and 2Week vacation to Dubai.

I presently work in Abuja, while the offer is in Lagos. I love Abuja, but I have feelings for the N350K offer. grin grin
Am afraid of moving to Lagos due to family problems, however it can be prevented If i stay away. Also am still an undergraduate, although I can transfer my study centre to Lagos.

PLS ADVICE
Should I stay with my current employer or move with the new offer?

Pls ignore my typos. Thanks.
Either you're lying out rightly to mk front page,or you're not telling the whole truth...

I'm tired of all ds useless stupid lies from Nairalanders...all those happened and u came here to out it up ryt??with all those details?ur boss no sabi nairaland ni??

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by bilms(m): 6:39am On Apr 23, 2016
Obviously, you are a student of National Open University of Nigeria. Pls correct me if am wrong
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by EVERCUTE(m): 6:39am On Apr 23, 2016
The competitor just want to take you away from him not that he really values your worth. Exhaust what your prensent employer can offer you first, before you move.' Urinate in one spot so that it can foam.' cool
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Idydarling(f): 6:40am On Apr 23, 2016
I prefer u stay in abj
consider the cost of starting life afresh in lag,
consider traffic, noise and everything, u don't need that now since you're still an undergrad,
u are not being maltreated in our current place of work,
ur boss knows ur value and made an increase that'll benefit u,
even the 100k extra is not even enough in lag sef,
money is not everything, y not grow with ur current coy...

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Jeffy1206(m): 6:41am On Apr 23, 2016
Jamesaugustine:
Stay with your current job considering your family and education and additional compensation.

Note: 1st ask your boss to make all d promises official with new offer letter otherwise if itz jst only verbal promise of promotion without official documented .

PLS MovVE TO LAGOS WIT UR 350K offer and face new challenge which will contribute and enhance your career.
so you just confuse op by more... No advice undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Iype(m): 6:41am On Apr 23, 2016
Your current boss is the best u can ever have for now cos he knows you are one of his greatest assets
How secured is your next job? why not stick with your present boss for a while cos with what you just wrote I will stick with such boss than go for the cash cos everyone loves being appreciated .

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by iliyande(m): 6:42am On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with your current boss, he understands/value you more
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by ALVA001: 6:45am On Apr 23, 2016
ALVA001:

bros I beg, I av always nursed d ambition to be a software developer. Pls can u offer some advice as to aw I can go about it.
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by yomalex(m): 6:46am On Apr 23, 2016
Germyu Stay where you are for now and plan in the next 6 months of starting your consultancy, you can get jobs from various companies you start up on your own and employ people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

IPPIS: Why CBN, NNPC Are Not On Our Platform / Peter Tabichi, Kenyan Teacher Wins $1M Global Prize / Arm Investment Managers Pay Package.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.