Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,128 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:08 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41911 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by amanda2013(f): 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
prof. Chinua achebe! D only man i knw that believes in himself.d only nigerian that refused to be associated wt corrupt govt. How many ppl here cn reject an offer of 150 million dollars! D only man that money doesnt move. He rejected the evil national award two gud tyms! My role model rip til we meet to part no more!

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
anybody questioning achebe's nigerian nationality, should also question the nationality of every nler or nigerian who has ever criticized nigeria and the nigerian govt.

eod.

assuming this also means you must assume millions of nigerians are carrying their passport unwillingly.

please attack them as well, @ anyone who is carrying the matter on their head. undecided

I have to commend you on your impartial posts, particularly on this matter.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2013
tpia@:
anybody questioning achebe's nigerian nationality, should also question the nationality of every nler or nigerian who has ever criticized nigeria and the nigerian govt.

eod.

assuming this also means you must assume millions of nigerians are carrying their passport unwillingly.

please attack them as well, @ anyone who is carrying the matter on their head. undecided

These are the same people that queue up at foreign embassies from day to day seeking visas out of Nigeria
Suddenly a Nigerian passport has become a treasure
And how does anyone that Chinua Achebe doesn't have a Nigerian passport
I posess both a Nigerian passport and an American passport and I am just as Nigerian as any Nigerian
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 7:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Is this guy feigning ignorance, or just innately dumb?? How did he contribute "intellectually" and "culturally" based on a literary fiction?? More reason why I said the standard in Nigeria is subpar... I bet in your stupid mind, Harry Potter also contributed/contributes "intellectually" and "culturally" to the UK, no

Do you even understand the meaning of intellect and culture?? undecided undecided

Shymexx hi. I don't know why you are ranting but I read your comment on the need for real heroes. Can we communicate in a civilize way on this forum please. Maybe our conversation may stir up the minds of people on how to contribute more to the african race.

Let's forget about achebe this or achebe that. Would you want to have a decent conversation?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13:

Shymexx hi. I don't know why you are ranting but I read your comment on the need for real heroes. Can we communicate in a civilize way on this forum please. Maybe our conversation may stir up the minds of people on how to contribute more to the african race.

Let's forget about achebe this or achebe that. Would you want to have a decent conversation?

He is not interested in conversations
There is nothing you will say about Achebe that he doesn't already know
He is interested in making a fool of himself like the rascal he is
Allow him please

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 7:40pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

Allow him please

I appreciate your concern. However, please don't insult him. I have never seen or read so much cursing in my life before than what I am still seeing and reading today
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by peedeeasobie(m): 7:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Is this guy feigning ignorance, or just innately dumb?? How did he contribute "intellectually" and "culturally" based on a literary fiction?? More reason why I said the standard in Nigeria is subpar... I bet in your stupid mind, Harry Potter also contributed/contributes "intellectually" and "culturally" to the UK, no

Do you even understand the meaning of intellect and culture?? undecided undecided

Tell us who has contributed to polity of Nigeria. Fela died of HIV, wat did he teach nigerians? Smoking pot and male randiness. Abiola taught Nigerians fraud (ITT), Awo was a tribal leader yet u pple paint these guys to be heros. U need to check the rate of emptiness in ur mind. Sumtn is obviously wrong with u pple. I am not tribalistic but if u don't have respect for a nationalist like Achebe then u need a 5 year course on respect and u need to travel quite often to ur village in order to learn the art respecting elders!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Itoroetti(m): 7:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
U guys are jealousing his success.u can never get to the position that he held even if u guys live for 1million years.yes,he rejected awards,but did he read his reasons for rejecting the awards?fela sang against corruption and all of u applaude him for them,but none of u criticise him for corrupting and teaching the younger generation of smoking government ban herms which is part of corruption.when will nigerians look at things from a positive direction?

For ur information,I'm not an igbo person neither I'm I related to them,but achebe,as mandela said,was the greatest novelist from africa.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Ribaman(m): 7:44pm On Mar 24, 2013
Some of the hate one encounters here can be very disheartening.
The bulk of those on the forum were born after the war, I like to think so. So why the massive transfusion of hatred and mistrust from grandparents/parents to the younger generation?
By the way,I am neither Igbo nor Yoruba: But I have reasons to respect both tribes. Why can't everyone of us agree that something terrible happened in this country between 1966 and 1970?
Most, if not all, of what is wrong with our country stem from the evils that have we individually, or collectively sanctioned and supported.
I have travelled the world, and know that this country is doomed if those of us who are young don't change our world views and compulsive copying of our older ones.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by peedeeasobie(m): 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
vandarsar: Your persistent call that asheebee's book didn't cause uproar is a constant give away that you're indeed an slowpoke... Won't bother replying to your subsequent comments again

I ask again who has been killed because of Achebe's book (answer NIL)? Unlike Soyinka's brainchild cultism. It caused an uproar ke, do you even know what the word mean?

Unlike YOU AND YOUR KIND, when Soyinka goes to meet his anscestors, I wil pay him great tribute even though am not a fan. Yeah my mum raised me better than you!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 7:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
I dream of the day when the Yorubas can come out with one voice with other southern tribes and demand for Justice in this country. But, it may never happen when they always feel the world starts and end with being a Yoruba man while the Hausa/Fulani slap them about. Its hightime Yorubas stopped being afraid of Hausa/Fulani, nobody will massacre u like they massacre the Igbos in this modern Nigeria, but it will go a long way in checking the highhandedness of the Hausa/Fulani in this country.
If u sit down and still believe yes my god Awo made the right decision when he renaged and joined with Hausa/Fulani because u can continue to share the spoils of war amongst the two of u. Then, u r making a grave mistake. The only constant thing in life is change and a change is sweeping over the country. Its hightime u joined or be left behind in your euphoria of Victor - Vanquished ideals.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
Boss13:

Bro, I didn't start the name-calling today, they started it... I was just trying to discuss the topic and get some education why every Nigerian must celebrate the man... And it seems no one has been able to answer that...

It's not just Africans - it's the entire black race... We're where we're today because of lack of real heroes and great role models... The MLKs, Malcolm-X, W.E.B Dubois, Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba et al of the past died years ago... However, we're not in the 60s and 70s aymore - we need new real role models and heroes, who would lead by example... and those who would defuse tribal frictions, and not exacerbate them...

I'll like to have a conversation with you as well.. but I need to quickly go pick up something from my parent's house... You can post your comments, I'll reply in 3-4 hrs time, when I get back.. wink

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by seunny4lif(m): 8:10pm On Mar 24, 2013
Bobandgreat: [color=#000099][/color]

Remove Abiola and Awo ftom that your list and put Gani and Tai solarin. U don't even know ur great people.
Funny but not funny...The list what made in 2010 and it combined with the names of all blacks person in the world both living and the dead ones and people vote for there 100 Greatest black people...Frm N.Mandela,Kwame,and funny thing is that with all the western world news on Robert mugabe is num 3 of the list ahead of Pele and Bob marley.....Me self dey surprise to see M.K.Abiola name for there and Robert mugabe with all those nonsense dey write abt him......
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 8:13pm On Mar 24, 2013
E show for your body say then raise you well. Wait self, how was she able to raise you when she was starving?? I thought she wasn't suppose to have milk in her dried breast...idiotaaaaa*a

Forsaken tribe of judah abi how awan frame am sef....

gbaky_floor:

I ask again who has been killed because of Achebe's book (answer NIL)? Unlike Soyinka's brainchild cultism. It caused an uproar ke, do you even know what the word mean?

Unlike YOU AND YOUR KIND, when Soyinka goes to meet his anscestors, I wil pay him great tribute even though am not a fan. Yeah my mum raised me better than you!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 8:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
Baby mama:

Allow him please
anyone that hopes to have a decent conversation with that ghetto simpleton is himself delusional. What knowledge can one possibly gain from that ruffian that prolly has never been to Nigeria. . .scheeeew
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 8:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: I know you lot are going to calling me a tribalist and bigot for discussing the topic.. grin But fvck that, I'm a black man first before anything else - and my ethnicity is black African...

We just need to start questioning certain things and Nigeria definitely needs an iconic figure... All the people we had in the past and the ones we've got today aren't really up to par except probably a Fela Kuti to an extent...

We need REAL heroes!!

I'm out, yo!! grin cool tongue

Half illiterate with access to computer and internet. Next thing he will as is what Bob Marley's contribution is to Jamicans.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
I am sure we all know what development is(well I hope).

If you do, you know the different types of development - cultural/intellectual/educational/health/political/literary/scientific/economic/physical/entertainment/spiritual/infra structural etc. All these different types of development gives you National development.

No nigerian has been able to achieve all but some achieved one or more type. Achebe achieved four.

just like yorubas hate Achebe's last book - I hate Soyinka's book(lion and the jewel) and what it represents with passion. The fact he introduced Cultism - gets me angrier but I will always respect the fact he contributed intellectually, culturally, educationally and literally to Nigeria.

Questioning Achebe's contributions is questioning Soyinka's contributions

Emphasisng that Achebe is a bigot/tribalist equates calling Soyinka a cultist/gangster.

If you recognise Soyinka's contribution but don't see Achebe's: then do not expect Achebe's fan to answer the poster's question without insult.

RIP Achebe, you influenced me more than Fela or Azikiwe ever did.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by patrkq(m): 8:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
KenGali:

Funny, when the lion is wounded, the rats declare war!
Since being a Literary Icon is a "just". So easy to achieve! Please what are you?
A Faceless finger on a keyboard mouthing words at a man whose sandals you are not worthy to untie!
You are so worried about his talent, what is your talent? Defecation?

Maybe this will help you: Achebe is not and does not claim to be a Doctor nor the solution to your Nigeria. he is a Biafrian in Heart who was forced to live with a Nigerian Passport. he owes you and Nigeria absolutely Nothing, not even allegiance as he lived the remainder of his life outside the cesspit. his achievement are for him and anyone one who cares for it, which happens to be the rest of the world. if you do not, stick to your drowning great one Nigeria!

U said it all.... Achebe was a biafran activist.. As such he neva contributed to the overall progress of Nigeria.. He's primary Goal was an independent state of biafra..
Now the question... Someone who pushed for a divided Nigeria and was unrepentant even wen everyone called for unity after the civil war, someone who preached doom for the country: should such person be considered as a factor promoting the development of Nigeria as a whole... No.
With this I still stand on the point, put forward by the poster; achebe was a wonderfull writer appreciated by Africa and the World generally... But for God's sake dats where it Ended. He might be an icon to the southerners politically; buh to Nigeria, he was de opposite!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 8:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Bro, I didn't start the name-calling today, they started it... I was just trying to discuss the topic and get some education why every Nigerian must celebrate the man... And it seems no one has been able to answer that...

It's not just Africans - it's the entire black race... We're where we're today because of lack of real heroes and great role models... The MLKs, Malcolm-X, W.E.B Dubois, Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba et al of the past died years ago... However, we're not in the 60s and 70s aymore - we need new real role models and heroes, who would lead by example... and those who would defuse tribal frictions, and not exacerbate them...

I'll like to have a conversation with you as well.. but I need to quickly go pick up something from my parent's house... You can post your comments, I'll reply in 3-4 hrs time, when I get back.. wink

Ok great. I agree with you. I cannot speak for all black people though we share similar problems. I want to talk about the nigerian youth and how to awaken our neglected conciousness.

I appreciate the fact that you carry out community services. In your own bit you are contributing. Soyinka started from the university to raise the awareness of black man. He started as a youth.

Now we have a new kind of enemy and our enemy lives in us. Our enemy is our value system. A system of materialism, selfishness, pride, loathe, greed etc. This value system has given rise to corruption, theft, tribalism/nepotism etc. Previously, I would have said our enemy is our public leaders. But our public leaders were once private citizens. At even some point, many of them critized the govt during their time of the same ill effects we are currently experiencing. So our enemy is not our public leaders.

Shymexx what do you think?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by olufunmibi(m): 8:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
So, you our Igbo compatriots, what are your needs? What do you want us Yorubas to do to appease you? Should we give you land concessions or give you tax break or free tenancy, we are already giving you our daughters to marry, what exactly do you want us to do now to appease this deluge of anger.please we need recommendations. Well,Achebe is gone,the world said he is great, the world cannot be wrong, but did he leave us as an arbiter of peace or an instigator of confusion? Its a question which begs for answer.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by tpia5: 8:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
^minimize your use of "we", thanks.

not sure who you're referring to when you say "we".
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by badassnigga(m): 8:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe was not a Nigerian, he was a biafran...he tried in vain to break niaja .
there was a country ...there was Achebe who tried in vain to break Nigeria.
Achebe urged his pple to fight for d actualization of biafra while enjoying himself outside d shore of Africa , this was vry unlike great pple lyk Mandela, Luther king jnr etc. he had negative. contribution to Nigeria progress through his war mongering.
at least we will av a breadth of fresh air
undecided
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 8:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
olufunmibi: So, you our Igbo compatriots, what are your needs? What do you want us Yorubas to do to appease you? Should we give you land concessions or give you tax break or free tenancy, we are already giving you our daughters to marry, what exactly do you want us to do now to appease this deluge of anger.please we need recommendations. Well,Achebe is gone,the world said he is great, the world cannot be wrong, but did he leave us as an arbiter of peace or an instigator of confusion? Its a question which begs for answer.

My Yoruba realist. The Igbos want a total condemnation of the act of genocide on their people, they want a total condemnation of the 20pounds policy. They r not saying condemn ur god but the act. Then, please come out and condemn the activities of Hausa/Fulani. Stop ur numerous backbiting and petition writing. Infact do a total overhauling of ur mindset and purge it of triabalism and ideology of me, myself and I. Stop following blindly ur leaders if when they r wrong. Continue on this line, and the event of 1967 will not play out again because this time u may not like the outcome.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Didi8: 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
Achebe actually succeeded in denigrating the leaders of other tribes while making his own people the best thing that ever happened to Nigeria. This is definitely not the quality for a man who will make a great contribution to the progress of his country. Great men are never divisive characters, especially when it comes to nation building. Achebe definitely misfired in his last book, and he regretted the uproar the book generated. The book even went to the extent of undermining to genuiness of Igbo intelligentia, hagiographically portraying them false story tellers. It is sad that Achebe who wrote 'Things Fall Apart' in 1958 could descend (through his personal frustration with Nigeria) to the level of writing 'There Was a Country' in 2012. I have read the book twice and I know what am talking about. Nigeria is not a perfect country, and Achebe's last book is definitely a badly written book with his intentions best known to him. Achebe should have known that an elder should not be the one to start a war or foment hatred amongst his people. All the same, we cannot kill the dead. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
Am sure he would have given a request to be buried in America since his dream of Biafra will always be an eternal fancy..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2013

My Yoruba realist. The Igbos want a total condemnation of the act of genocide on their people, they want a total condemnation of the 20pounds policy. They r not saying condemn ur god but the act. Then, please come out and condemn the activities of Hausa/Fulani. Stop ur numerous backbiting and petition writing. Infact do a total overhauling of ur mindset and purge it of triabalism and ideology of me, myself and I. Stop following blindly ur leaders if when they r wrong. Continue on this line, and the event of 1967 will not play out again because this time u may not like the outcome.

Rubbish! Why don't you start by condemning your blood thirsty leaders for their aggression and the killings of other sectional leaders? Why don't you blame them for attacking Yorubaland for their so called 'liberation' and the killings of many that resulted due to their greed?
Why don't you blame Ojukwu for dragging you into senseless war? Why don't you blame him for his inability to reach a compromise and swallow his pride to save many from starvation?
Why don't you demand an apology from Ojukwu for abandoning his people in the time if need only to come
back to wine and dine with the enemy? Did Ojukwu lose any if his properties after the civil war? He even got his military pension back, so what is his restitution to his people.
Until you people start to behave like adults and take responsibility for your action ss well as confront the enemy within no one will ever take you serious.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 9:19pm On Mar 24, 2013
Look at this criminal, has the warlords from the east regretted their action? Have they come to apologize to nigeria and nigerians for starting a war they couldn't prevail in only to starve to death some 2m of their own people? Have they, have they, have they? Too many slowpoke here...

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:23pm On Mar 24, 2013
I'm also Biafran. I hate this entity called Nigeria with passion. I hate everything she stands for. Yes, Nigeria is a country every child indeed wishes never to be born in. Nigeria is a spade, and I'm calling it a spade. Going through this thread, seeing what she has bred, I know I'm right.

Most of u here claiming to love Nigeria, why did u choose to spend nights at other countries' embassies? Why smuggle yourselves to other countries yet your love for this Nigeria is unwavering? Why marry a woman old enough to be ur grandmother just to have a permanent visa? Yet u love Nigeria? Why do menial jobs most of u will NEVER do in this country in other countries. Why wash oyibo woman pata? Yet u love Nigeria! grin Hypocrites!

Its only on this site that you people make noise, forgetting that we all know how life abroad is for u guys over there! Una country dey chase una?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
Biafrans are shamelessly all over this thread ...you've learnt the act of Propanganda from the best..you've learnt from Ashebe
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
vivian chinaza: I'm also Biafran. I hate this entity called Nigeria with passion. I hate everything she stands for. Yes, Nigeria is a country every child indeed wishes never to be born in. Nigeria is a spade, and I'm calling it a spade. Going through this thread, seeing what she has bred, I know I'm right.

Most of u here claiming to love Nigeria, why did u choose to spend nights at other countries' embassies? Why smuggle yourselves to other countries yet your love for this Nigeria is unwavering? Why marry a woman old enough to be ur grandmother just to have a permanent visa? Yet u love Nigeria? Why do menial jobs most of u will NEVER do in this country in other countries. Why wash oyibo woman pata? Yet u love Nigeria! grin Hypocrites!

Its only on this site that you people make noise, forgetting that we all know how life abroad is for u guys over there! Una country dey chase una?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

vivi, where have you been sef?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vivianc(f): 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
ItsModella:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

vivi, where have you been sef?

grin, nne I dey o, have been abit busy. How ur side?

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (37) (Reply)

Certificate Forgery: Senate Says They Can't Sack Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo / 3 PDP Governors In Buhari’s Team To Cameroon / Nigeria Unfair To Mbazulike Amaechi – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.