Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,351 members, 7,843,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41826 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 5:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Fela would keep seven girls and be phucking them at his shrine between puffs of indian hemp, yet he is ano idol for some tribes, smh.

Please drop this. His personal life did not affect the love shown to him. I still love that man. My perception will never change. He is larger than life. Fela - an african icon.

Please stop the hating. We need to emulate great characters. Our generation have abandoned principles, integrity and collective progress for the love of materialism fuelled with greed and selfishness. Add tribalism to the mix, we have a time bomb waiting to explode. Please can we just show some love to one another.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

cool cool cool Thank you for summing it all up

He did so very well.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
[size=18pt]Asiri ti tu!

The truth can only stay hidden at dawn. . . .when THE RUN RISE, the lies will come to light.

Nigeria: Ojukwu's Secret Daughter Traced She Lives in Kaduna

The secret daughter ex-Biafran leader left behind was brought up by a prominent Muslim family in Kaduna. She lives among the Northern elite and detests any suggestion that links her with the former warlord. This is the extraordinary story of Ojukwu's mystery daughter.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201212101558.html
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
[s]
rhymz: look at this confused Ghetto gansgtar yapping about standards, when was the last time your ignorant azz was in Nigeria let alone have true life experience of what it is like living in Nigeria.
Even if you add up all the crackheads in your ghetto infested families in the Bronx, they still will not qualify to lace the man's shoes let alone criticize the man. Enjoy the illusions of grandeur that NL grants, with it, nonentities and crackers like you can parade as some intellectuals for a few hours before retiring to your real drug life.
[/s]

How about su.ck your mum's yeasty pum, you sensitive tampon wearing mangina??

Phu.ck off and don't quote me, if you can't debate the topic, village scrounger...

I don't have time for primitive villagers today!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
rhymz: You are a shameless Moderator. How did you become a MOD?? I guess it was through thesame tribalistic consideration.
Are you calling me a moderator!? Jeez! This guy is hallucinating on something or he's been stoned!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: Give props where it's due - however stop overrating people...[size=18pt] We as Nigerians need to raise the standards for those we call our icons and heroes - the standard is just appalling, at the moment..[/size]

Perhaps, that's why we have some of the most OVERRATED icons ever!!!

Take a look at the list of the REAL African heroes(those who actually fought for Africa) - isn't it shameful that there's not a single Nigerian on the list

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

Saying the truth and peddling hate and bigotry are 2 different things.

[size=18pt]BTW, inciting hatred and continued enmity while you sit your azzz in a comfy climate away from the consequences is not bravery, its cowardice.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Doing something better in this God forsaken land? The country is doing much worse and only people as brave as Achebe ca stand up and say the truth!

Remove the word 'brave' and change it to bitter, there is no bravery in abandoning your people to live comfortably in foreign land while continues to sow seeds of hatred and bigotry from afar and calling it the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Are you calling me a moderator!? Jeez! This guy is hallucinating on something or he is been stoned!

Ignore the emotional wreck... He has never been coherent on this forum - I believe he's one of the 11million strong Nigerians dealing with mental issues...

Ol'boy needs to sectioned in a village hut asap... grin

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Bwhahahahahahaha

At the end of the day, that's also an achievement... There's no good or bad, everything just depends on your thought process... Heck, Hitler is on every list about the most powerful men ever to walk this planet... and certain people still justify what he did and they believe he did no wrong... wink

I'm who I'm - I don't need your accolades, mate.. grin

Which means it was right for awolowo to drink rat poison?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by GalaxyNoteII: 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2013
[size=18pt]LOL @ the "hero". They should have just given that thang to Ojuku before he HEEDLESSLY proclaimed a war he did not strategize.

mystery child

The story of how Hamman Maiduguri became "the father" of Ojukwu's daughter appears to be as mysterious to even a section of his own family as it is to the other members of Ojukwu's family.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Ignore the emotional wreck... He has never been coherent on this forum - I believe he's one of the 11million strong Nigerians dealing with mental issues...

Ol'boy needs to sectioned in a village hut asap... grin

And you, in chains and quarantinedgrin grin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

Which means it was right for awolowo to drink rat poison?

If that's what you think, who am I to question you??.. grin However, that isn't the topic in discourse - let's debate the topic...

Please, educate me...
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 5:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: [s][/s]

How about su.ck your mum's yeasty pum, you sensitive tampon wearing mangina??

Phu.ck off and don't quote me, if you can't debate the topic, village scrounger...

I don't have time for primitive villagers today!! undecided
typical of ghetto kid in America, always angry and uneccessarily combative.
Abeg enter inside your American kiosk go smoke your crack jare, IDIOTA!
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 24, 2013
Eko Ile:

The nigerian government banned any discuss about the civil war ? Are you talking about the Nigeria in mars or the one in Africa?

Apart from the fact that you sound very if ignorant, your post suggests that ashebe successfully poisoned a few minds, minds destined to end up bitter, vengeful and angry to their graves while the rest of us move on.

Goodluck to you as you embark on that hateful and bigoted ashebe journey to your grave.

Unfortunately you are the person who chooses to sound ignorant about the civil war.
Oh it's quite convenient when you are on the side booting the loot. And yes, a word Biafra could get you locked up in Eastern Nigeria for years after the civil war.
Like I said earlier, Achebe's message in his last book is not for your like or your people, why are you sweating.
Goodluck with your hell hole called One Nigeria smiley
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

When are you lots going to admit that you went to war with No strategy, expecting Yoruba to commit suicide with una?

Lol seriously, what was Ojuku thinking when he cheated on his Ibo wife with a Hausa puzzie? Same people that almost wiped your race out. You think Ojuku really had the Ibo man in mind? The more we look at Biafra war, the more it becomes clear that Ojuku was just trigger happy.

Since you are so ignorant, I will educate you. The igbos never asked for war: all they wanted was to go back to their lands, start over and no more be called Nigerians. But the Northerners refused and brought war upon them. No body asked the yorubas to fight, all igbos exepected was that they support their aim. Alas, they sided with the Northerners and labelled Igbos rebels

Prompting the outside world to join in the massacre of the igbo people. If yorubas had told the world we support Biafrans move to be separated from Nigeria: perhaps there wouldn't be a war.

But MOST yorubas joined to label Igbos as rebels whose aim was to thwart development, making a lot of countries to join hands in killing igbos. The igbos were on the defensive then and are still now.

But am for ever grateful that majority of the people that constitute Nigerian Government are Yorubas and Northerners. Yet no development: who's thwarting development now?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
inufele2:

Remove the word 'brave' and change it to bitter, there is no bravery in abandoning your people to live comfortably in foreign land while continues to sow seeds of hatred and bigotry from afar and calling it the truth.

But is is bravery for an army general to cry like a little baby in front of Abacha? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Ivynwa(f): 5:56pm On Mar 24, 2013
The tribal hatings in some Nigerians eroded their conscience to the point of blabbing and bringing down a man that just died hours ago. shocked

What are we all doing yoked together as one country with hate simmering at the bottom of some against others? Let's face the truth and part peacefully/ amicably-----that way there will be no bombings, no tyranny, no hatings, no tribalism. There won't be need to abuse others knowing that you don't have to suffer them as your countrymen. Right now, Nigeria is looking real jokey abusing and embarrassing themselves in the internet before the face of the whole world. I can't even stand a thread as sickening as this.

Yeah, you lot can go ahead and denigrate him. I know you can't wait to dance on his grave, sorry you may have to wait a few more days for his grave to be carved out----as that isn't available yet you can get on and continue with the dance here.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by BloggingIq: 5:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
makes me wonder what a writer like Charles Dickens did promote too,

I think the OP dont know the full meaning of development in this context,
and a Nigerian did use Oliver Twist to make a living,
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!!

how many times did I call you?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
[s]
rhymz: typical of ghetto kid in America, always angry and uneccessarily combative.
[/s]

Are you dyslexic, or just allergic to being coherent?

You started the name-calling, now you're back-tracking after getting back the energy you gave out..

Get a life!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

If that's what you think, who am I to question you??.. grin However, that isn't the topic in discourse - let's debate the topic...

Please, educate me...

On what, ignorant onegrin
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
all4naija: Are you calling me a moderator!? Jeez! This guy is hallucinating on something or he is been stoned!
Well, it does not change the fact that you are shameless and should not be taken seriously. The only time you show respect to people and attempt to be objective on issues is when you want to support a Yoruba person whether he is good or bad, a trait common with many unexposed southwesterners that seem to think Nigeria begins and ends with Yoruba, its people and terrotories.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by phantom(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
Akshow: Dont forget that the south westerners produced the only Nobel prize winner. A feat achebe will never achieve even in his grave. grin
do you realize that the nobel was concieved by a human and not God and that the committee is human and the award is given out by humans?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 24, 2013
7842I:

On what, ignorant onegrin

On what the late literary icon contributed to Nigeria...

I just need a list and how he helped change Nigeria....

Honestly, I'm looking for Nigerian role model because there's none at moment... Perhaps, you can sell the literary icon to me and convince me that he's the greatest Nigerian that ever lived by using his contributions to Nigeria as your selling-points..
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 7842I: 6:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Honestly, I'm looking for Nigerian role model because there's none at moment... Perhaps, you can sell the literary icon to me and convince me that he's the greatest Nigerian that ever lived by using his contributions to Nigeria as your selling-points..

I will offer to educate you, the only tuition fee you'll ever pay is to go and read "Things fall apart" most of the lecture topics I will teach you are contained in those pages.

The man tried to cure illiteracy and ignorance and I think you will benefit a lot from his wisdom. I await you.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by mpumalanga: 6:06pm On Mar 24, 2013
Progressive South Africa is presently using Achebes things fall apart to inspire their young once in SABC 1
while some Nigerian as usual, are wasting their time trying to elevate non heroes and pull down
real heroes.When will Nigerians free themselves and start appreciating their gifted humans instead of
wasting time every time to celebrate false equivalent due to tribal differences.African are loosing
their patience on you people.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx: [s][/s]

Are you dyslexic, or just allergic to being coherent?

You started the name-calling, now you're back-tracking after getting back the energy you gave out..

Get a life!
name calling?
I only gave a vivid description of you. You are ghetto and it shows in the way you comment with stupifying doses of ignorance and bigotry. I wont expect a crackhead in the ghettos of America to have respect for an Icon like Achebe, it is typical of ghetto kids to irrationally detest achievers and naturally gifted people that believe in the results of hardwork and taking the pains to achieve it as opposed to ediotas like you that believe results come from aggression and barrel power.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by vandarsar(m): 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2013
I actually was the one who LIKED your comment cause I LIKE that your brain is empty.. You're just as obsessed as your grandpa asheebee.. Abeg park well before den ban me jawe.

gbaky_floor:

So, all the raping, maiming, looting/ killings caused by cultism a brainchild of Soyinka is what(if that is not katakata, then what is it).

How many people got killed or raped as a result of Achebe's last book(NIL). Unless you count your whining as katakata.

Even in years to come the igbos will continue to carry grudges against your lot unless you admit your mistake unfortunately education doesn't equate sense/diplomacy.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by TheBookWorm: 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2013
I guess educating young African minds is not considered development.

I guess not defending Africa's humanity when European authors treated Africans as sub-human is not considered development.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 24, 2013
shymexx:

Your mission is quite a failed one.
Who ever told you Achebe is the greatest Nigerian?
Who ever made it mandatory for him to contribute to the development of Nigeria?
In between, what are your contributions to the development or rather underdevelopment of the cesspit anyway?
When you have established the standard by telling us what you have done, then we will look at Achebe.

Achebe, a willing Biafran, and a reluctant Nigerian, contributed to the development of the world, not just Nigeria through his strides in African Literature. What of you with your restless fingers behind a faceless cyber name?
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 6:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
rhymz: typical of ghetto kid in America, always angry and uneccessarily combative.
He bodied that Guy earlier cheesy cheesy He claims to have lived in the uk (peckham) all through his life but don't know nothing about experian credit report cheesy
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by camelus: 6:11pm On Mar 24, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian, one who believes that there is still hope for our great nation, I grew up reading literary works of chinua achebe, and I enjoyed his master piece (things fall apart) so much that I always re enacted this story whenever I was bored while growing up, the author of the book seemed bigger than life to me then, but growing up I discovered one thing about this man, he was a sadist, a pessimist, and a bad critic, he never saw the country Nigeria amounting to anything, he was always quick to condemn from the high pedestal which the "white man" put him, no doubt he has made Nigeria proud in the aspect of literature, but what has he done to help build this country? This is a man who spent half his life abroad pointing out problems of this country, but never offering sound possible solutions to these problems, this man hated his father land so much that he refused a national award twice, I believe that his refusal to accept the national awards stemmed from his hatred of his fatherland, not solely cos he felt the governments had failed the people, this man was not a man of the people as most people are claiming, rather he was a man against the people, he was a doomsday individual, he was hoping for the collapse of this our great country, he hated the market woman, the taxi driver and even the lawyer, he saw Nigerians as a people who could never change for the better, chinua achebe made us proud with his literary works, but aside from that he did not contribute enough for the over all development of this country, we've heard of great doctors who left the western world to come and practice in bush Africa, these men are the kind of people we should look up to, let me not say more, but I believe I have made my views known, may his soul rest, I hope he is buried in the United states.
The best form of development is Human Capital Development Achebe developed our Minds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (37) (Reply)

Chukwuma Bamidele Dies (Nnamdi-Azikiwe's First-Son) / Ibrahim Buba Gayius Jailed For 70 Years / How Tinubu, Oshiomhole And Balarabe Musa Stopped My Defection - Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.