Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,738 members, 7,820,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41722 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by namfav(m): 7:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
good question, the answer is no

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 9jaihail2: 7:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
Our Yansh: Aside poisoning the hearts and minds of the younger generation of a Nation he had no belief in, he did well as a literary giant. I also appreciate his stance on issues of governance, corruption and transparency. If only he had kept his bigotry in check, Achebe would have qualified to be a Nigerian hero[b][/b], but his final shots placed him as an IBO hero.

RIP Prof..

@Bold, what is so special for one to be a Nigeria hero, i mean what special benefit do those who lived all their life as detibalized Nigerians than their tribes of origin got from your Govt or from Nigerians. Take Zik of africa as a case study then you will realize that it pays a lot to be a hero of your tribe than to be a Nigeria hero.

Achebe is a hero like it or hate it, he will live forever in the mind of every Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 7:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
Nigeria was in the news yesterday on a positive (though sad) note. When was the last time Nigeria was celebrated in world news for anything? It is the measure of the greatness of a nation to produce people of world renown. Nigeria, at least can boast of having two of the greatest writers of this century.

If Nigeria was working well, the man would have just sat and wrote his books without being overly political. You do not see American and British classic writers talking politics. It's the writers of 3rd world nations that have to fight beyond the page of their manuscript due to the decadence and corruption that they see around them.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 7:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
0lumide: I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks
I don't how you people think. we are talking African Heroes and you are mentioning charlatans like baba suwe the drug pusher, sunny ade and awolowo who are not known outside Yoruba land. You may go suicidal if you like but Mandela and Achebe are The Greatest Africans Ever!

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 8:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
ypzilanti: Nigeria was in the news yesterday on a positive (though sad) note. When was the last time Nigeria was celebrated in world news for anything? It is the measure of the greatness of a nation to produce people of world renown. Nigeria, at least can boast of having two of the greatest writers of this century.
Achebe made headlines across all newspapers in the face of the earth. Trended worldwide on twitter all day, among the highest search topics on Google worldwide and the sad thing is the headlines read Nigerian writer. How I wished it would have been Igbo writer or Biafran writer. to hell with the contraption called Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 8:06pm On Mar 23, 2013
@@@@

i have to say it interesting to see some oduduwas in nl trying so hard in their bitter life to appropriate accepting the truth which bring life and development to bitterness

if u ask me personally im not moved cuz me always know the real bitterness we are dealing with

ask ur self now; are u ready to accept the truth?

so to see their Chief thief Tinubu saying that having destroyed thousand of families and businesses belittle as a minor crime isnt repudiative

u once have avaition criminal minister under obj having a shot to tell us which is true and which isnt

im afraid it will always be norm to say the bitter oduduwas are killers of the country

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 9jaihail2: 8:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
dayokanu: The only thing Ashebe promoted in Nigeria was tribalism.

He died a bitter man. He was bitter against everything in life. Bitter against Yoruba, against Awolowo, Against Nobel committee, against Nigeria

His bitterness obviously killed him.

[b]It would have been better if Ashebe died a year ago than now when all his legacy are now tainted with trialism
[/b]
He would be remembered for being a Bigot

Thats why Soyinka excelled over him anyday

Soyinka, A Yoruba man supported and was jailed for Biafra

Soyinka a Yoruba man supported and was the spokesman for the niger Delta

Soyinka was way ahead of Ashebe in all walks of life

But he

@the first bolded, if truly Sir,Prof,Dr, and Pa Achebe is indeed a tribalist,i must say he might have learned that from Awolowo himself who was the chief inventor of tribalism in Nigeria system, now i am sure you would agree with me that Sir. Achebe is not just a teacher but a great learner and good listener to his elders such as Awo the master of tribalism.

@ the second bold. His legacy gone because he spoke the truth yoruba's hate to hear? Well, i will be glad that only yoruba's sees Pa Achebe as a tribalist while over 100 languages in the world continue mourning and celebrating his legacy, this goes further to proof that yoruba's are indeed the inventor's of tribalism.

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 8:15pm On Mar 23, 2013
9ja_i_hail2:

But he

@the first bolded, if truly Sir,Prof,Dr, and Pa Achebe is indeed a tribalist,i must say he might have learned that from Awolowo himself who was the chief inventor of tribalism in Nigeria system, now i am sure you would agree with me that Sir. Achebe is not just a teacher but a great learner and good listener to his elders such as Awo the master of tribalism.

Can you explain to us how Awo was the inventor of tribalism

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by MrGlobe(m): 8:17pm On Mar 23, 2013
This has got me thinking, do Yorubas hate Achebe out of jealousy? Achebe brought the world to a standstill the way no Yoruba ever will do

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I know I'm going to get lots of insults thrown on my person after creating this topic, but to me the truth is better, I'm not a tribalist or an ethnic bigot, on the other hand I'm a proud Nigerian.
There is a saying that: Those that dosen't know the value of gold will use a gold plate to put their rubbish. You fall into that category.
White racist men, always start every statement by saying first that they are not racist or they have so many black friends- With your's- I am not a tribalist or bigot also fall into that category.

Finally, my ancestors says that: A bird that taunts a woodpecker that he is a weak-pecker should first cut down an okra tree since a woodpecker takes an Iroko tree for break fast.
A man's life is like your first day at the university, where there are many that matriculated, but come back on the day of graduation and count how many of the original people at the matriculation made it to the end. The day ACHEBE was born, its was probably only his parents and family celebrated, but on the day he died, the whole world (those that mattered) mourned.

That means, he has graduated with PHD in the school of life, hence Jesus said that the day a person died is far better than the day he was born, as the reason Jesus never celebrated his birthday but his own death.
Its not every day one sees an Eagle perched on one's backyard, and it will be foolish not to admired this rare bird. Achebe is an eagle at your backyard- admire him as there may never be another opportunity.

16 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by goldfish80(m): 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
Bobandgreat: If he has not promoted progress in this country at least I am sure he has not slowed the development of this country. He is better than some leaders who are pediophiles, homosexuals, mass murderers, psychotic suicidals, coup plotters, molesters, cleptomaniacs, nymphomaniacs, cry babies on national TV, shameful interviewee, slave mentality, extreme islamists, pilferers, brain washed, ill educated and greedy low lives that have been incharge of this country for some years now running this country agog.
Apart from his great cultural and literary export from Nigeria being celebrated by all media and social network in Nigeia and world over, he was a man of integrity, always said what he believed like a true innocent man devoid of hypocricy, deceit and politicing. In nairaland, what we are doing here is having thesame people that support amnesty for Boko Haram come here and ask questions about his achievement.

These Nairaland bigots are a selection of the tribe that are really the problem of Nigeria but they will be put to shame. Throws spit at the OP.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Bobandgreat: 8:22pm On Mar 23, 2013
@dayokanu, when it comes to grassroot struggle for the masses in this country, i will hand it to wole Soyinka. The man seems to not do anything wrong.
But, when it comes to wide acclaim, Mandela type of recognition, promotion of African culture and dignity, u can not take that away from Achebe. These two men u mentioned are indeed heros in Africa but one must not be compared with the other, they both represent thesame ideals though one more of local scenery and the other more of international scenery. This does not also mean that both are not recognised in their own rights internationally and localy.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by gogo2003: 8:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
Achebe is peerless,an uncommon man to say the least,almost at par with mandela

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 8:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
Bobandgreat: [color=#000099][/color]

Why not ask for his contribution in the development of Yoruba people, not Nigeria or Africa. Tribalistic ideals. Is Nigeria not in Africa? Na waah ooo.

Olodo WAEC drop out, the topic is not about Yoruba people,its about ashebe.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by 9jaihail2: 8:32pm On Mar 23, 2013
dayokanu:

So basically you have no points to back you assertion, Typical with your people aint it

Half education and tales by moonlight wont replace education

Dayolodo, even kids born yesterday knows that awo is a regional hero, a man who sees himself as an ijebu man before yoruba,a yoruba before Nigeria. What more do you need to knw about the murderer call awolowo?

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 8:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
Bobandgreat: @dayokanu, when it comes to grassroot struggle for the masses in this country, i will hand it to wole Soyinka. The man seems to not do anything wrong.
But, when it comes to wide acclaim, Mandela type of recognition, promotion of African culture and dignity, u can not take that away from Achebe. These two men u mentioned are indeed heros in Africa but one must not be compared with the other, they both represent thesame ideals though one more of local scenery and the other more of international scenery. This does not also mean that both are not recognised in their own rights internationally and localy.

Mandela stayed back in South Africa to effect the change he desired, He traded his freedom for it, He could have fled to London and be urging people to fight from there?

Soyinka stayed back to fight, As a youth he went into the western radio station to challenge the govt at risk to his life, He went behind war lines to Biafra at great risk to his life and actually lost his freedom, He challenged Abacha govt and he became a fugitive he identified with the Niger delta in their struggle for resource control.

He was one of those who rallied against the cabal when they didnt want Jonathan to rule

What was Ashebe doing? Sitting in the comfort of America and urging people to go to war. During Biafra he sat in the comfort of his official car, never lacking food or fuel how many of his family starved to death, how many of his family got shot Yet he want another generation to go through another ordeal

Would he put his own children in the warfront? Maybe all his family are American citizens sef. Useless Elder

16 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 8:37pm On Mar 23, 2013
9ja_i_hail2:

Dayolodo, even kids born yesterday knows that awo is a regional hero, a man who sees himself as an ijebu man before yoruba,a yoruba before Nigeria. What more do you need to knw about the murderer call awolowo?

So you still cant bring any evidence that Awolowo was a tribalist?

You really need education desperately dropping out of JS2 to go and sell markate isnt education

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Globe:

I don't how you people think. we are talking African Heroes and you are mentioning charlatans like baba suwe the drug pusher, sunny ade and awolowo who are not known outside Yoruba land. You may go suicidal if you like but Mandela and Achebe are The Greatest Africans Ever!

The guy didn't mention awolowo, but ofcourse your ritual wouldn't be complete without adding awo's name!

Why do you people like comparing orange and apples, STOP comparing late prof. Chinua to Awo!! Instead compare him to soyinka, sefini

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bolaino(m): 8:39pm On Mar 23, 2013
I want to make something clear to everyone, this topic has nothing to do with tribalism, I love my igbo folks, I have so much love and respect for the igbo culture and tradition, and I did'nt intend creating this topic to insult the igbo people, IGBO KWENU!!!, but the truth is always the truth, achebe was a tribalist and a bigot, and like Garri republic nairalanders will ask, how has the life and death of achebe affected the price of garri in the market?

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
9ja_i_hail2:

This is downright silly, everything awolowo did, he did in Ibadan, not abk not lagos.
Try again!

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I want to make something clear to everyone, this topic has nothing to do with tribalism, I love my igbo folks, I have so much love and respect for the igbo culture and tradition, and I did'nt intend creating this topic to insult the igbo people, IGBO KWENU!!!, but the truth is always the truth, achebe was a tribalist and a bigot, and like Garri republic nairalanders will ask, how has the life and death of achebe affected the price of garri in the market?
I agree with you for most part, but one thing is, because he didn't involve himself directly in the going ons of the country doesn't make him a tribalist or bigot, at least he didn't come to this earth to serve other people.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 8:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
@@@@@@@@

dayokano

Mandela stayed back in South Africa to effect the change he desired, He traded his freedom for it, He could have fled to London and be urging people to fight from there?

Soyinka stayed back to fight, As a youth he went into the western radio station to challenge the govt at risk to his life, He went behind war lines to Biafra at great risk to his life and actually lost his freedom, He challenged Abacha govt and he became a fugitive he identified with the Niger delta in their struggle for resource control.

He was one of those who rallied against the cabal when they didnt want Jonathan to rule

What was Ashebe doing? Sitting in the comfort of America and urging people to go to war. During Biafra he sat in the comfort of his official car, never lacking food or fuel how many of his family starved to death, how many of his family got shot Yet he want another generation to go through another ordeal

Would he put his own children in the warfront? Maybe all his family are American citizens sef. Useless Elder

bull$$$$hit
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 8:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
Isn't it funny how some characters who never had the opportunity to become assistant class captains in their various primary schools are trying to downplay Chinua Achebe's achievements and global relevance. When you see the likes of mandela, Zuma and other world leader eulogizing Achebe the great. It means you should do one thing "Fall down and die". Achebe has not only left a mark in the literary world but has carved a niche for himself as the man who rediscovered Africa through his works. Nnukwu madu Achebe. I hail thee. Go and rest in the bosom of your creator.

10 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 8:55pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

Olodo WAEC drop out, the topic is not about Yoruba people,its about ashebe.
Are you sure its not about Yoruba because you said its all about ASHEBE? Who or what is ASHEBE?
Or is it that you can't spell an African word and you are calling someone else Olodo WAEC dropout? grin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Buhari Administration: Two Months, Failed Promises, Zero Success... / Ajimobi’s Daughter, Ajay Accuses Bouncers At Lagos Nightclub Of Assault / Charly Boy Meets Peter Obi, Femi Kuti For 'Nigerian Youth Decide' To Hold In FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.