Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? (41724 Views)

Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe / What Did Goodluck Actually Do In Bayelsa State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by solomon111(m): 11:28pm On Mar 23, 2013
So much stupiditty being exhibited on this thread.
Imagine some idiotts asking what Achebe contributed to Nigeria's devt.
Are you fuccking kidding me?
Achebe could pass for the greatest Nigerian ever.!!

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 23, 2013
I believe the man was a literary colossus, whose works brought recognition and some respect to Nigerian literature, on the flip side I think he passionately believed in the Biafran cause which is not a sin in itself except that he so much clutched to that dream that he could not make himself relevant or contribute to the development of modern Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:30pm On Mar 23, 2013
solomon111: So much stupiditty being exhibited on this thread.
Don't mind the southwestern idiots.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
I swear, too many jokers on this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
I can't seem to be able to find one thing Achebe achieved as one of "African intellectual".

He had the tool and potential to make people listen to him but he didn't use that tool and potential for nothing but his own literary awards and nothing really educating per se. Except you want to call his style of writing educating. I call his style of writing political and not something that people across the board can really read when they seek guidance in anything.

All the "African" forum he attended were all just noise making forums who just sit and analyze what Africa should be without them following through their conclusions and ensuring that they capture the mind of corrupt African government for a change.

But still Achebe was a creative writer. But to put it beyond that to try and mortally immortalize him as a hero of Africans is just really sentimental. Achebe has contributed nothing to African development, people and spirit.

If we allow Achebe be called a hero, we are leaving space for people like baba suwe and other entertainers to be called Heros. King Sunny Ade as talented as he is in his work, is just a beauty of Africa not an African hero or active contributor to African development.

Achebe is just one of many Africa talents that stood above his peers in his work. Let's not get too sentimental and try to give undue hero worship to him, instead, recognize the creativity of his work which is what his fame is still based not contribution to African people's development. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 11:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
Boss13: I previously considered you to be a beautiful mind with the way you analyze political issues. However, i am shocked you would stoop this low and incline yourself to tribal backwardness.

Nothing wey person no go hear for this Nairaland. I think i'm done here.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
ASHEBE SOUNDS LIKE YAM POTTAGE

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2013

lol @ greatest nigerian ever. Abeg lay off ganja for your own good.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by talktimi(m): 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
John Pepper Clark, Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka in 1986. All literary icons devoid of tribalism unlike some people here on this thread.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
Exactly what has Achebe done to help development in Africa? What has he done?

Name one thing he has done instead of accusing people of being tribal.

Will the English people call Shakespeare a hero?

Sydney Sheldon? You people are dumb nut jobs

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
Nothing wey person no go hear for this Nairaland. I think i'm done here.

Your presence has been acknowledged mr notice me,why quote him when I didn't even replied him.

You can now Bleep off !

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Boss13: 11:37pm On Mar 23, 2013
Achebe contributed to Nigerian development and will continue to contribute. Foreigners are using his book as reference to study African culture. And when the West is saying Africa is a dead place, we can stand tall and tell them we have great minds like the likes of Mandela, Achebe and Soyinka who came out of the so called dead place and has made impact to the world.

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by bittyend(m): 11:38pm On Mar 23, 2013
obadiah777: ASHEBE SOUNDS LIKE YAM POTTAGE

Buzugee, so you know the meaning.

Oya let's check the torah of yeshua to see if Ashebe is a misspelled name for one of the lost tribes of Yisrael. cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by ebosed: 11:39pm On Mar 23, 2013
ebosed: This is special dedication to the poster: a significant level of your foolishness must prevail in the society for our wisdom to have value.

treat every nigerian by the content of their character and not the incidence of their birth. lm a nigerian born in the north schooled in the east served in the south now living in the west where l hail. l have found as many foolish Garbas as I have a thousand stupid wales, okons, udemes, nwankwos and adaezes. l have equally found many intelligent adamus, edidiong, alaba, tochukwus, ejiros and erutes. The truth is our ethnic background is mere gift of nature and nothing more.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
0lumide: Exactly what has Achebe done to help development in Africa? What has he done?

Name one thing he has done instead of accusing people of being tribal.

Will the English people call Shakespeare a hero?

Sydney Sheldon? You people are dumb nut jobs
Go to the post on obituaries of Achebe and read that yourself dude. Stop exhibiting ignorance here joo.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 11:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
Boss13: Achebe contributed to Nigerian development and will continue to contribute. Foreigners are using his book as reference to study African culture. And when the West is saying Africa is a dead place, we can stand tall and tell them we have great minds like the likes of Mandela, Achebe and Soyinka who came out of the so called dead place and has made impact to the world.

That's it? At least you tried unlike the other cowards. I give you F for effort.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

lol @ greatest nigerian ever. Abeg lay off ganja for your own good.

They have many heroes na.

Zik - greatest African

Oju-iku - greatest iboman

Emeagwali - Father of the internet shocked

Ashebe - Greatest Nigerian

What if we now add clifford orji and reverend king ? Greatest biafrans I guess.

2 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 23, 2013
Eko Ile:

Words and books are very powerful tools that heals, influence and change minds and ashebe used these powerful instrument to divide and spread hate and bigotry. His last book didn't heal, it divided the country and erased all the gains we've made.

That bitter old man was selfish and thoughtless. Who writes dumb stuff like that in 2013 and at 82 years old? Obviously, he was hateful and bitter man to the core and he took all that baggage to the grave with him.
all he did was try to tell the truth.so for that he's hateful?I bet if it was the yorubas and hausa being under cease attack,it would be the other way round.any man who supports evil,evil shall never depart from his house,what he wrote about,aren't they still happening?mass genocide of igbos and christains.and for speaking out,he's hateful?he knw how the foundation of this country was laid,and the truth is being manifest in the marginalization of the east.so he can't talk?to please bootlickers like u and u biased apes of fore-fathers?hmm.pls don't get me upset tonight.anuofia.

4 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

please enumerate his contributions to Africa beginning with Nigeria.

Achebe was an ingrate! Twice conferred with national awards and he turned it down each time citing corruption. You should share with us how, sitting in US, he contributed at home to remove the very ill he vehemently opposed. The truth is Achebe remained bitter to his death and he never brought himself around to accept and reconcile the biafran defeat in his own spirit. By accepting a Nigerian honorary award would be an acceptance that his biafran identity is defeated and lost forever. He ended up personifying the Okonkwo of Things Fall Apart.

Oh so suddenly accepting an honor from the same GEJ you love to hate is something worthy?
What a twerp
You folks are impossible

Now hear the words from the grave and stop spreading false information
Chinua accepted Nigerian honors when he believed in Nigeria and when he became frustrated like the rest of us he told them to shove it up their arses
I commend him,something your egunje thieves cannot do.
Read this

[size=28pt]"Forty three years ago, at the first anniversary of Nigeria's independence I was given the first Nigerian National Trophy for Literature. In 1979, I received two further honors - the Nigerian National Order of Merit and the Order of the Federal Republic - and in 1999 the first National Creativity Award.

"I accepted all these honors fully aware that Nigeria was not perfect; but I had a strong belief that we would outgrow our shortcomings under leaders committed to uniting our diverse peoples. Nigeria's condition today under your watch is, however, too dangerous for silence. I must register my disappointment and protest by declining to accept the high honor awarded me in the 2004 Honors List".

In 2011, Goodluck Jonathan led government again awarded[/size] him the "national honor" of the Commander of the Federal Republic And for the second time, the celebrated novelists rejected it. In a terse statement for the rejection, Achebe said:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201303230075.html?page=2

3 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
What ashebe did to promote devt in Nigeria?
Ans = NOTHING
How can he contribute anything positive to a country he never believed in? He was a bitter and bigoted man even at old age.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Classicalman(m): 11:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
~Bluetooth:

They have many heroes na.

Zik - greatest African

Oju-iku - greatest iboman

Emeagwali - Father of the internet shocked

Ashebe - Greatest Nigerian

What if we now add clifford orji and reverend king ? Greatest biafrans I guess.

At least none of them is a treasure looter. Unlike some people.

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by EkoIle1: 11:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: Go to the post on obituaries of Achebe and read that yourself dude. Stop exhibiting ignorance here joo.

You mean obituary is more competent than you people and can articulate what you WAEC rejects can not articulate? this people no go kill person with laughter I swear....

lmao..

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
bittyend:

Buzugee, so you know the meaning.

Oya let's check the torah of yeshua to see if Ashebe is a misspelled name for one of the lost tribes of Yisrael. cheesy cheesy cheesy
LMAO BRAH BITTYEND I TROWAY SALUTE SIR. OH YES I KNOW FOR SURE THAT ASHEBE IS YAM POTTAGE grin grin

1 Like

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
Let's stop looking at what Achebe did or didn't do and concentrate on his achievements as a prolific writer, with lots of works to recommend for our schools. Nobody lives for eternity and for that, we should strive to make sure we use the little time available to us to contribute good to our society.
Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Paschal007: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2013
bolaino: I want to make something clear to everyone, this topic has nothing to do with tribalism, I love my igbo folks, I have so much love and respect for the igbo culture and tradition, and I did'nt intend creating this topic to insult the igbo people, IGBO KWENU!!!, but the truth is always the truth, achebe was a tribalist and a bigot, and like Garri republic nairalanders will ask, how has the life and death of achebe affected the price of garri in the market?
ƒ'uck your love. How was Chinua a bigot? He was a writer and all he did was write. The world celebrate and mourn his passing today. No gives a damn what a tiger clawed faces of tribe in Nigeria thinks about him. What and what did you expect him to do? Build a house for your father in the village?(No offense) 'if you don't like a story, write your own'. Prof Chinua. How's that so hard for these clowns? grin

5 Likes

Re: Did Chinua Achebe Actually Do Anything To Promote Development In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 23, 2013
Mr OP, what have you yourself contributed to make Nigeria better. Don't tell me that you own a cyber cafe and employed 4 people or else you will get a slap.

2. Achebe was not a saddist rather just like ojukwu he saw that nothing good will come out of this unholy marriage called Nigeria and the events of these days has proven him right. What on earth makes you think that Nigeria will ever get better? The major problem of Nigeria is tribalism. Take away tribalism from every Nigerian and we will checkmate corruption and lots of others without sentiments.

Tribalsim has been planted into our midst and we can never agree on one thing again that is one of the many reasons achebe said Things fall apart, the center cannot hold again.

For you to call achebe a saddist and someone who never believe Nigeria will get better makes me continue wondering if Nigeria has gotten any better

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Ajimobi’s Daughter, Ajay Accuses Bouncers At Lagos Nightclub Of Assault / 'EduGate': 8 Controversies That Led To Betta Edu’s ‘downfall’ / Bianca Ojukwu Defeats Emeka Ojukwu Junior In His Ward At Nnewi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.