Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal (22650 Views)

Oboabona Denies Receiving Arsenal Invitation For A Trial / Ikpeba & Adepoju Differ On Oboabona's Arsenal Trial Request / Governor Mimiko Honours Godfrey Oboabona For Afcon Win With House And Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by nies: 5:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
dat will be a warm welcome to Godfrey at Arsenal my dearly club side in de world
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by j4jj: 6:10pm On Mar 24, 2013
If this true! Oboabona is going back 2 training school without future prospects for their players!!!

Up Blues!!! Up Chelsea!!!
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
ItsModella:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

gbagaun!!!
Continue to mock VIPs' diction, na your presence the boy go start to dey chop million and you will continue as teacher
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by OmoTier1(m): 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
ItsModella:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

gbagaun!!!
Sorry the connotation is absolutely spot on! Maybe it is you that needs some 'F8' ..No undecided
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by chucky234(m): 7:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
HAH: One million pounds, sunshine go hammer be dat o this money fit reach the entire teams budget for the year.

The boys is good. Wish him luck though I cannot vouch for his age cos I know Omeruo who claims to be 19 graduated from GSS gwarinpa in 2005 which made his age. 12 in his SS3
People need to understand how things work in this side of the world,the lack of standard facilities,finance and trial opportunities is one of the reason why players of African decent have to adjust their age to afford them to enough time to put those things together.
Imagine if Oboana has been using his real age do you think he would have been called up to the national team at the age of 35 or offered trials by Arsenal at 35,we need to see things from a different perspective.
Take Emenike as example,after playing for clubs in Nigeria,he left for South Africa then to Turkey where he played for a second division team before being signed by Fernabache but had to move to Locomotive Moscow in Russian to due the match fixing scandal involving Fernabache in Turkey,imagine he waited all those years before making it to the national team and eventually getting his breakthrough.
Things are differently organised in Europe where you have standard football academies and players are offered trials from the age of seven to 16 on weekly basis to pic players,many of them have the opportunity to play for non league clubs,five and eleven aside clubs where scouts and agents are always at hand to watch,there are also organised youth tournaments all year round where players are discovered and groom to international standard.
We don't have such development programme in Africa and makes it difficult for players to make it to the top if they are to use their real age because you might be thirty before even getting your first real chance in Europe,players like Akpan,Terry Envoh,Ajagun and so many others after impressing at two junior world cup tournaments are still playing in the Nigeria League going for trials abroad and waiting for that opportunity to breakthrough.
Edafe Egbede only got his opportunity when a deal was brokered for him with a Danish club by a Turkish/German friend of mine,this is. A player who impressed at the U17 and U20 world cup in Colombia and had to wait till 2012 before getting a club abroad,I am a player agent/scout and know how difficult it is to get club abroad.

1 Like

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by pappilo(m): 7:24pm On Mar 24, 2013
joseph1013: While this is goodnews to some I consider it an INSULT that a Nigerian International (and an African Champion for that matter) would be offered a TRIAL. Did the nations cup not garner enough coverage for Wenger to see his performance. Can he offer a trial to a French International or Belgian International. Make Wenger park well jor. Offer him a contract straightaway abeg and stop ridiculing our national team.

The most painful thing about this comment is not that the poster is dumb but that someone was dumb enough to thank him.

The biggest stars in the world have gone on trial in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Yaya Toure, Zlatan Ibrahimovic are some of the big names that have come on trial at Arsenal in the past. Carlos Tevez went to West Ham to play. That was a kind of trial because no one was willing to take a gamble on him. You really expect Arsene to just sign someone hitherto unknown before the Nations Cup just because he has played six games? He might as well have signed Younis Mahmoud, the striker who was the highest goal scorer and part of the Iraqi winning team at the 2007 AFC Asian Cup (Asia's Nations Cup equivalent)

3 Likes

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by tomzman: 7:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
Nice one for him.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by 5much(m): 7:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
i pray he succeeds at arsenal
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by hezee4real(m): 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
I wish him best of luck
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Gbenge77(m): 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
He is a no nonsense defender,an absolute rock at the back.But he will need to prove his mettle in the fiercely competitive league,hoping to be considered among the best.We shall have to wait and see.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by hezee4real(m): 7:49pm On Mar 24, 2013
I wish him best of luckI wish him best of luckI wish him best of luck
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
Who wants to bet? Wenger will still haggle the £1M price-tag.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by dougivilla(m): 8:31pm On Mar 24, 2013
shurlermoz:

So its GEJ that is giving them †he opportunity now and not Keshi, all this government apologist wld just say anytin †̥o glorify the mess they call GEJ. I expect you †̥o reply with facts on government achievements and not the usual abuse and name calling.
Opposition apologist! If it was an evil report, you would have been quick to link GEJ with it. Where are your own facts? Double speaking APC apologist!
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by airmark(m): 8:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
HAH:

, Boy not anyone that comes to NL is a pauper.

I know this boy and I wish him well,but age cheating is a problem in Nigerian football

So you want to solve the problem starting from the boy you know? Don't you know that it's his carreer you want to ruin? You better be careful as fifa/government did nt ask you details. That's why some people get murdered senselessly.

2 Likes

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
HAH: One million pounds, sunshine go hammer be dat o this money fit reach the entire teams budget for the year.

The boys is good. Wish him luck though I cannot vouch for his age cos I know Omeruo who claims to be 19 graduated from GSS gwarinpa in 2005 which made his age. 12 in his SS3
Guy why all this na! no dey fall the guy hand jor sad sad sad sad sad sad.... We all finished from thesame school, but must you tell the world?? atleast he's earning his money..... cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 24, 2013
aminho:

Arsene Wenger is constantly on the lookout for young talent to embed into his squad and the Arsenal manager might have found a fairly decent defender in Godfrey Oboabona, the Nigerian centre-back who was an ever-present during the Nation’s triumphant African Cup of Nations run. The 22 year old defender currently plies his trade in the Nigerian Premier League with the Sunshine Stars and unsurprisingly will be put through the paces as part of trial before possibly making the jump to English football.

The Sun report that Oboabona, who has a year left in his contract with Sunshine, will cost the Gunners around £1m if they decide to keep him after the trial. The player has endeared himself to the Arsenal faithful already by stating that the North-London is close to his heart: “Arsenal are my favourite club from childhood. It is the club I want to play for.”

Wenger is on the lookout for a new central defender in the summer as he has grown fed up with the constant mistakes committed by Per Mertesacker and Thomas Vemaelen but Oboabona is by no means the solution for the immediate problem.

Wenger will probably be bringing in another 1 or 2 players in the summer, while Oboabona will potentially be groomed for a place in the Arsenal first team by getting a run out in League Cup games should Arsenal be sufficiently impressed by his performances.mramshi

http://www.thesportscampus.com/2013032428917/transfer-news/wenger-brings-in-nigerian-defender-on-trial
good move 4 him, when he develops well 2 chelsea standard, chelsea can go and get him
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by joseph1013: 8:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Sormeh: 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2013
Piponomics: Happy for the lad but is this the calibre of player that will return Arsenal to the zenith of European football? Smh @ Wenger.
What's wrong with his calibre?
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 24, 2013
Yeah that is what am talking about,Wenger love Africa players. Alex F na racist. This guy will make first team all he needs is oppotinuty to show what he can. He did well in nations cup. Gd luck Obonwa.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Raypawer(m): 8:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
Activity77: dts a gud news..kudos 2 keshi.more are still waiting to be calld.

Amen oooo
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by vision2050: 9:04pm On Mar 24, 2013
wenger will use him like kolo toure(finish product)
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
Lol, itsmodella enter gobe cheesy

Sorry dearie.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
[quote

author=dougivilla]Opposition apologist! If it was an evil report, you
would have been quick to link GEJ with it. Where are your own facts?
Double speaking APC apologist![/quote]

Pls tanks for helping me reply him. I can bring myself too low to call
him names. I have a sound mind and I trade with logic. When there was a
little delay in sacking Siasia when he failed, everybody insinuated GEJ
was forcing him on NFF cos they are from the same Bayelsa. Now Keshi has delivered and nobody wants to suggest GEJ could have forced hin on NFF. That is just the quality of argument we get from those whose motive we dont know. Whether we like it or not his govt takes d glory just as Yobo lifted the cup as captain without contributing as much as Mba who scored d winning goal.

1 Like

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by joseph1013: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
pappilo:

The most painful thing about this comment is not that the poster is dumb but that someone was dumb enough to thank him.

The biggest stars in the world have gone on trial in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Yaya Toure, Zlatan Ibrahimovic are some of the big names that have come on trial at Arsenal in the past. Carlos Tevez went to West Ham to play. That was a kind of trial because no one was willing to take a gamble on him. You really expect Arsene to just sign someone hitherto unknown before the Nations Cup just because he has played six games? He might as well have signed Younis Mahmoud, the striker who was the highest goal scorer and part of the Iraqi winning team at the 2007 AFC Asian Cup (Asia's Nations Cup equivalent)

I will refrain from callin you dumb cos I'll be doing disservice to the word. So iran and Nigeria are mates? What football pedigree does Iran have compared to Nigeria? Are you sane? Are you sure you're not one of those Kenyans beefing Nigeria? Or maybe a Ghanian?
Are you saying that Ibra and Yaya went on trial at Arsenal after excelling at euro championship and afcon respectively? Was Tevez an Argentine regular when he went to West Ham? Did he OFFICIALLY go there for trials. It shows you know nothing about football.

Let Wenger not sign him now, and you'll see how clubs will be jostling for him after confederations' cup and world cup (cos we'll qualify).

Baffles me how some Nigerians belittle themselves. What is wrong in signin him straightaway for 1million euros? Is 1million euro a big gamble for a Nigerian super regular (one of the only two players to play all minutes of the matches at afcon)? A super regular in other countries is worth ten times that amount.

Im not surprised sha. I see all manner of kids on nairaland these days.

2 Likes

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by Gistwitherico(m): 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2013
Nice news 4 we arsenal fans! Its high tym we had a matured nigerian first team player in that squad, since chuks aneke is claiming british.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by AMvanquish: 10:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
A-ZeD:
As an Arsenal fan and a Wenger hater, financially this will be a good move for the guy, professionally it will be terrible. Wenger is an olodo when it comes to defence.

I dey feel ur comment jare! On point.. Na wenger jus dey ef dat team Up.
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by yomanovic: 10:14pm On Mar 24, 2013
oloriooko: wrong move for this guy, of all teams in EPL, he's trying out Arsenal that does not have the bite for winning and wenger will make sure he's paid peanuts.

the only advantage he has is that his professional carrier will jump on the fast lane of develoment.

You have a problem, dude. you had better come out of poverty.if arsenal wants u, u wont go? you think 30 or 35 or 45k pounds per week is nothing? i bet you the likes of mikel and other nigerian footballers cannot be less than happy for him even if he plays in arsenal for the rest of his football career. you had better be realistic.

1 Like

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by pat077: 11:32pm On Mar 24, 2013
kaorama: That is in fulfillment of one of GEJ's promises which is to empower the younger generation to fulfill their goals by giving them the opportunity to express themselves. Under this govt, the country will acheive a lot in sports. Thanks folks and dont just talk blindly
Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by pat077: 11:33pm On Mar 24, 2013
kaorama: That is in fulfillment of one of GEJ's promises which is to empower the younger generation to fulfill their goals by giving them the opportunity to express themselves. Under this govt, the country will acheive a lot in sports. Thanks folks and dont just talk blindly
are u alright?

2 Likes

Re: Godfrey Oboabona On Trial At Arsenal by princemaicheal: 11:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
ebamma: If we sign dis guy he will be a great backup in case koscielny or vermalaen is injured, and at 1million pounds i think wenger will love it
I think you meant if Wenger signs him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FIFA Tells Nigerian Referees To Forget Officiating At World Cup / Plusvalenza: Juve Jumps To 3rd As Court Temporarily Suspends 15-points Deduction / Should Kelech Iheanacho Take Over The No 10 Jersey From Mikel Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.