Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited (14822 Views)

Brown Knowledge Anderson Dies In Hotel Room / CPC Denies Knowledge Of Buhari's 2015 Posters / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2013
tbaba1234:
Again, a foolish statement void of facts.

The first caller to prayer in Islam was a black man: Bilal

Also muslims face the sacred mosque when they pray. It has nothing to do with astrology. You should at least read the Quran. If i live in china, i would be facing west to pray.

.......Turn your face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque: wherever you [believers] may be, turn your faces to it. Those who were given the Scripture know with certainty that this is the Truth from their Lord: God is not unaware of what they do. (Surah 2:144)

Again, you are bringing conspiracies.

What scared Mosque?? - bwahahahahahahahaha

Turn your damn face to where the sun rises from... Or does the quarter moon and star Muslims believe in also mean a sacred Mosque in the sky - bwahahahahahahahaha

All this crap is about astrology and the universe!!! The scholars in Timbuktu understood this, hence why they were able to build on it and achieve greatness...
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tinnymerit(m): 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

Islam and Arabic are lie siamese twins - hence why I alluded to Arabic to buttress my point... Islam should be about almost 1,800 - 2,000 years old, however, prophet Muhammed(SAW) made it popular...

The age don't really matter - we're discussing some of the great philosophers who saved the world, and gave us all the knowledge we lost during the dark ages... most of these philosophers were Muslims from the city of legends in Timbuktu... If Islam could guide them to do great things - don't you think boko haramites and jihadists have limited knowledge of the religion??

Btw, the philosophy boko haramites and other salafists follow is a brainchild of Salafists in Saudi Arabia... those guys don't practise true Islam... They're as fraudulent as those who see Saudi Arabia as the holyland for Muslims... Islam started in Africa..

Go read about the Ahmed Baba Centre in Timbuktu and the ancient manuscripts there were by Islamic scholars of the past... and most of the manuscripts there have been destroyed at different times by wicked people...
Actually you are wrong,xtianity is abt 2000 yrs,muhammad was born 600yrs after the death of jesus.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by fitzmayowa: 1:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
dfolan: u need to grow out of your illusions and face reality,
Islam is not what you think it is
ISLAM-A-BAD

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 1:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
grafikii:
ok I will wait, while you switch, I would be doing my own research as to why arabs hate the Timbuktu, pls mactunji can you shed some light on this

Arabs can't stand Timbuktu because it exposes them as fraudulent Muslims...

The greatest things Islam achieved were achieved in/via Timbuktu, hence why it's called the City of Legends....
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tbaba1234: 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

How did Abraham build the Kaaba when it's a proven fact that Abraham never walked this planet History was an allegorical story and his two wives represented two covenants - even apostle Paul alluded to this in the book of Galatians 4... And how can someone build a meteorite, anyway

OLODO, The kaaba is a house not a meteorite. The meteorite is the black stone...

Who were in Mecca before Islam got there?
- Was the Kaaba in Mecca before Islam got there??
- What was it used for??
- And if the Kaaba was there before Islam, how come Muslims now claimed the Kaaba to be theirs??

Muslims believe that the house was built by Abraham and his son Ishmael and they dedicated it to God. The muslims only reclaimed that legacy. The legacy of Abraham. Abraham and all the prophets submitted their wills to God and are considered part of the legacy of Islam.

Islam is as old as man himself, because it simply refers to the complete submission to the will of God.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2013
tinnymerit:
Actually you are wrong,xtianity is abt 2000 yrs,muhammad was born 600yrs after the death of jesus.

Islam started before Muhammed, just as what we now call Christianity started before Jesus Christ.... Those two prophets were just "legends" who popularised them...
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by sexyverah(f): 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2013
Not every Muslim is a Terrorist but Every Terrorist is a Muslim..[b][/b] smiley smiley If you no like my comment go chop stone, i Owe no one an Apology for this everyone is entitled to their Opinions.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by AbdH: 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

Islam started before Muhammed, just as what we now call Christianity started before Jesus Christ.... Those two prophets were just "legends" who popularised them...
Come off it, will you!!? Christianity started after Christ.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by AbdH: 2:04pm On Mar 26, 2013
sexyverah: Not every Muslim is a Terrorist but Every Terrorist is a Muslim..[b][/b] smiley smiley If you no like my comment go chop stone, i Owe no one an Apology for this everyone is entitled to their Opinions.
Fallacy! Not all terrorists are Muslims.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Osgilliat(m): 2:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
AbdH:
Where were you when masquerades were killing Muslims? Were all the actions of reverend King preached in the bible? Your understanding of Islam is just like boko haram's.

i never heard say masqueraded na terrorist. o ya tell me about it.boko haram understanding of islam is solid plus they gat the zeal and heart to carry out the instructions therein which you cant because ?
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
tbaba1234:
OLODO, The kaaba is a house not a meteorite. The meteorite is the black stone...

I know the Kaaba is the shrine that houses the black stone... and the black stone is a meteorite...

Muslims believe that the house was built by Abraham and his son Ishmael and they dedicated it to God. The muslims only reclaimed that legacy. The legacy of Abraham. Abraham and all the prophets submitted their wills to God and are considered part of the legacy of Islam.

Islam is as old as man himself, because it simply refers to the complete submission to the will of God.

Let's even assume Abraham walked this planet... Where in the Bible or Qu'ran did they allude to Abraham ever visiting Mecca, or living there grin

And how can Islam be as old as man himself - when Islam started less than 2,000 years ago and man has been on this planet for millions of years??

Kaaba and the black stone has absolutely nothing to do with Islam, period!!
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

What scared Mosque?? - bwahahahahahahahaha

Turn your damn face to where the sun rises from... Or does the quarter moon and star Muslims believe in also mean a sacred Mosque in the sky - bwahahahahahahahaha

All this crap is about astrology and the universe!!! The scholars in Timbuktu understood this, hence why they were able to build on it and achieve greatness...

Keep exposing your ignorance.

If you do a little bit of real research, you will also find out that the quarter moon and star were symbols of the Ottoman empire adopted after they conquered Constantinople. The ottomans ruled the muslims for about 600 years and were the last Islamic dynasty.

Islam has no official symbol.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by usefaith(m): 2:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
jerseyboy: Sir, Mr Soyinka, this time you are WRONG. Boko Haram are TRUE muslims. They understand Islam more than anyone else. Mohammed will be very proud of them if he where alive.
and how do you justify this your statement?
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by danot1030: 2:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
AbdH:
Where were you when masquerades were killing Muslims? Were all the actions of reverend King preached in the bible? Your understanding of Islam is just like boko haram's.

To be truthful on this matter, violence is all over the world known to be striking characteristic of islam, muslim around the glob are a sentive case. Check the history of islam from the beginning, it is a religion void of tolerance. As i type i was tempted to mention the name of the founder and his records of violence with the creed for violence he left behind for the followers, if i do that Seun may not allow this comment and the muslims in NL may start a jihad, so let me just be brief.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
AbdH:

Christianity didn't start with Jesus - even Jesus went to the Church as a young kid as well... How about all the other prophets in the Bible before Jesus?? The Elijahs, Elishas etc.?? We no call it Christianity, but the actual religion itself existed before Jesus...
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by bakila: 2:10pm On Mar 26, 2013
babyphaze07: If Wole Soyinka says Boko haram has little knowledge of Quran, wat are we to say in other African countries like Mali and some many Asia countries like Syria in which there has bin pandemonium all this while. These people know wat they are doing. It is wat they read in d quran that they are practicing. Islam has always been troubling language. A true muslim dat follow the laid down rules of the quran will chaotical and have a mind of formenting troubles.
Do u know about Syria's conflict at all? Is it muslims and others or muslims fighting a civil war?
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by grafikii: 2:10pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx: Real black muslims in the diaspora know the truth about Mecca, hence why no knowledgeable black muslim out here has time for Mecca... Nation of Islam is black people's form of Islam, they're taking our shiit back... grin No time for the frauds in Saudi Arabia!!!

Btw, Abrahamaic religions are about astrology - hence why Muslims face the East when praying - that's the point where the sun rises from...
muslims in the far east, china don't face the east when praying
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 26, 2013
tbaba1234:
Keep exposing your ignorance.

If you do a little bit of real research, you will also find out that the quarter moon and star were symbols of the Ottoman empire adopted after they conquered Constantinople. The ottomans ruled the muslims for about 600 years and were the last Islamic dynasty.

Islam has no official symbol.

Islam has no official symbol, yet it's represented with the quarter moon and the star, no??

The ottoman was a Sunni empire... It also represented Islam... undecided
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by manny4life(m): 2:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
AbdH:

I'm glad u picked up on that... Christianity NEVER started before Jesus.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by maclatunji: 2:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
kuss:

OLODO, WHAT ABOUT IRAQ, SYRIA, AFGHANISTAN, IRAN, PAKISTAN, LEBANON, SUDAN, MALI AND SO ON

What happened to Nigeria especially under GEJ? Ironically, apart from Afghanistan, Mali and Syria (due to insecurity induced by war), the other countries are probably better than Nigeria in every development index that matters.

You missed my point in the post you quoted. I was just pointing out that you for example would be all too happy to go live in Dubai. Tuface's wedding in Dubai was meant to show 'class'. However, here you are trying desperately to prove to yourself above anything else that Islam and Muslims are pure evil.

CVS is in effect again.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tbaba1234: 2:15pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

I know the Kaaba is the shrine that houses the black stone... and the black stone is a meteorite...

SO where did you get the building the meteorite statement keep exposing your ignorance...

Where in the Bible or Qu'ran did they allude to Abraham ever visiting Mecca, or living there

Where did hajar and her son settle?

God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

19 Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.

20 God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the desert and became an archer. 21 While he was living in the Desert of Paran, his mother got a wife for him from Egypt. (Genesis 21:17-21)

Where in whole of the Arabian desert does such a spring exist today, The only place is Zam Zam, And you guessed right, It is in mecca.

Do you think Abraham never visited his son??

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by danot1030: 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2013
firstolalekan: [size=32pt]ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE.
A TRUE AND REAL MUSLIM IS A PEACEFUL INDIVIDUAL.

BOKO HARAMS ARE NOT MUSLIMS, THEY ARE JUST IGNORANT FANATIC PAGANS HIDING UNDER ISLAM.
[/size]

You are the one who is not a muslim, you deffinitely have not read the history about islam nor have you read your quoran to know that it is justify for a muslim to kill and maim pagan, to fight for their God by shedding bloods. This is where i disagree with Soyinka, check and average muslim, they intolerant and unforgiven, those of you in the south are not considered as muslims, boko haram knows what they are doing, that is why they are getting sponsors and coverage from muslims brothers within the country, from arab counties and other part of islamic nations.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tbaba1234: 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2013
deleted
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by sexyverah(f): 2:18pm On Mar 26, 2013
AbdH:
Fallacy! Not all terrorists are Muslims.

Mohammed was d no 1 muslim terrorist.. he raped old nd young, looth, enslaved nd forced people outta their will to join this so called anti-christ called islam.. take it or leave it cool
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by nduchucks: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
Soyinka the atheist should shut da he'll up. If he knows enough about Islam he'd be a Muslim, if he knows enough about Jesus, he'd be a Christian.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tbaba1234: 2:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
shymexx:

Islam has no official symbol, yet it's represented with the quarter moon and the star, no??

The ottoman was a Sunni empire.

You keep failing every time,

Before the ottomans were other dynasties, Each dynasty has its symbols just like countries have flags...Anyone with an elementary knowledge of Islam knows that there are no symbols.

The crescent and star were used in the design of mosques during the ottoman period.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by maclatunji: 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2013
freakyamanda: The truth is that for every violent muslim, there are several peaceful muslims. Even though there is violence in many muslim nations, like afghanistan, iraq etc, there is also peace in other islamic nations like dubai, qatar, malaysia and turkey. The hypocrisy of many christians is just stunning. I am a christian and I will see the fact and speak it anywhere I go. Most of the violence is politically motivated and anyone either christian or muslim sees it easy to justify his evil actions by religion because that is how he can whip up sentiments among his own people. the problem is that many moslems are uneducated and so are largely ignorant while many christians have education because of the western legacy. What we should focus on is to try and educate more moslems about life, including their religion rather than fanning the flames of war. Powerful people on both sides are scheming to perpetrate themselves in power by casting the other religion as evil. Wake up my people. Islam is not synonymous with evil and it will never be. Christians have also commited evil in their history. Check the holocaust and the crusades. It is the moral responsibility of people with conscience to identify good or evil wherever they see it and say it as it is, not defining everything in terms of religion.

If you still think Islam is evil, then I forbid you to go to Dubai and other beautiful arab states.

There you have it. The only point you missed is that most Christians especially in Nigeria desperately trying to paint Islam black are. quite ignorant of Islam in the first place! They would not pass a Primary 1 exam on Islamic Religious Knowledge (IRK). However, they still insist they are 'authorities' on Islam.

#Pathetic
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by danot1030: 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2013
aminho: As much as I hate him but I agree with him today
Islam means the religion of peace. A person following Islam will find that he or she is surrounded by noble teachings, the aim of which is to establish peace between man and Allah, the Creator of all; between man and man; and between man and the rest of Allah’s creation.

How does such a religion deal with the issue of terrorism And what does the word terrorist mean?

Dictionaries will define a terrorist as one who systematically uses violence and intimidation to achieve political ends – or one who controls or forces others to do something by violence, fear or threats.

All these definitions are covered by two words in the Holy Qur’an, the sacred book of Islam: Fitnah and Ikrâh.

Two of the very first verses of our Holy Book say: ‘Al-Fitnatu ashad-du minal qatl’ – meaning that in the sight of Allah, ‘persecution, or making people constantly fear for their lives, is much worse than killing’.

And also: ‘Lâ ikrâha fid-dîn’ – ‘There shall be no compulsion in religion’, that is to say, that no one has the right to force others into complying with their demands or compelling others to follow their line of thinking.

In Islam, every effort is thus made to protect the peace of not only the Muslims, but also of the followers of other faiths.

Allah Almighty says: And if Allah did not defend some men by means of others, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues and mosques wherein the name of Allah is oft remembered. (Ch.22: v.41)

The Prophet ordered:
‘You will meet those who remember Almighty Allah in their houses of worship. Have no dispute with them, and give no trouble to them. In the enemy country, do not kill any women or children, or the blind, or the old. Do not pull down any tree; nor pull down any building.’ (Quoted from Halbiyyah, Vol.3).

It is our belief that not only Islam, but no true religion, whatever its name, can sanction violence and bloodshed of innocent men, women and children in the name of Allah Almighty.

How then does terrorist come from islamic nations, how then does major sponsors of terrorist are muslims and how then is terrorist predominantly muslims?
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by tj4luck(m): 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2013
those tebliks you were referring to, did u find out the reason why they beat masquerades because you only talk when when they act you won't bother to ask why they act
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by paris10: 2:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
firstolalekan: [size=32pt]ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE.
A TRUE AND REAL MUSLIM IS A PEACEFUL INDIVIDUAL.

BOKO HARAMS ARE NOT MUSLIMS, THEY ARE JUST IGNORANT FANATIC PAGANS HIDING UNDER ISLAM.
[/size]

Where there's always an emphasis on a particular subject, name or place, you definitely know there's a problem somewhere. Main reason why people often call Islam a religion of 'peace' is just because they afraid to get attacked again. Just do the arithmetic, add 2 to 2, call them war-mongers or criticize them, they'll show you the other side of 'peace' (their real nature). Atheist, Christianity and others never calls themselves a religion of "peace", why? Because it is obvious they are.

When you always want to prove to the world that you're good or nice, then you've got problem. Let people decide, the world is watching, you're being noticed, but trying too hard automatically means there's something cynical about you. And that's where Islam has got it wrong.

Should we then because of the way we're being oppressed by our leaders start bombing and killing the innocents? Can't God (or Islam Allah) fight for Himself anymore? Or are we as the rest of the world afraid of the backlash if we openly and sincerely caution this faith?

And as for Nigerian Muslims (except ofcourse the Hausas), pls disregard your claims of being called a Muslim. Your total submission (Islam) to the will of Allah is questionable. While Islam preaches 'peace' amongst it's brethren, it admonish the total annihilation and destruction of other faith or belief. Let not go there again pls!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by AbdH: 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2013
sexyverah:

Mohammed was d no 1 muslim terrorist.. he raped old nd young, looth, enslaved nd forced people outta their will to join this so called anti-christ called islam.. take it or leave it cool
Quote and cite your source or stop spreading falsehood.
Re: Soyinka: Boko-Haram's Knowledge Of Islam Is Limited by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2013
tbaba1234:
SO where did you get the building the meteorite statement keep exposing your ignorance...

Since you have now accepted that the black stone in Mecca is a meteorite - so why do muslims worship, kiss, and call the shrine that houses the meteorite a holy place Perhaps, Russians should also start worshipping all the meteorites in their country as well - since God sent them to their country, no Or maybe Russia should be the holy land for Islam as well since it has more meteorites than Mecca... grin

Where did hajar and her son settle?

God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. 18 Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

19 Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.

20 God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the desert and became an archer. 21 While he was living in the Desert of Paran, his mother got a wife for him from Egypt. (Genesis 21:17-21)

Where in whole of the Arabian desert does such a spring exist today, The only place is Zam Zam, And you guessed right, It is in mecca.

Do you think Abraham never visited his son??

Firstly, I already alluded to the book of Galatians 4 where apostle Paul said both Hagar and Hannah(including Abraham) were allegories... Hagar and Hannah represented two covenants..

Secondly, the biblical Hagar was an Egyptian and I still don't get the correlation between her, her son(Ishmael), and Mecca...

Lastly, if Abraham visited his son or lived in Mecca during his allegorical(lol) life, I'm sure the bible would've alluded to this... winkwink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Politicisation Of Boko Haram Insurgency, Bane Of Nigeria’s Anti-terror Fight / Church Set Ablaze In Ilorin / Osinbajo: NNPC — Not FG — Bearing Cost Of Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.