Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,506 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:48 AM

Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please (3745 Views)

For Ndi Igbo In This Forum, Home And Abroad / Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please / For Those Who Speak Italian This Way, Please No English. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by lucabrasi(m): 1:47am On Apr 07, 2008
@belabela
i have said a lot but its only in trying to correct some stereotype of nigerians in the united kingdom and why nigerians are not as thewestern world sees it either by white of black britons,americans or anyone staying putside nigeria and i promise ill stick to the post.

@HR.hotness
i never insulted you and if you care to look at the very fist line after the lucabrasi

i think you're coming off as somewhat ignorant we are all enlightened in the english language and "somewhat ignorant"is like saying 6 and half a dozen.
and like i said before,i wasnt being defensive what started my long ass posts was just me trying to correct a wrong impression about nigerians and i wasnt being defensive because i have taken pains to explain that i am not in that situation but replying the post based on what i have seen in this country,that is why its a discussion you dont expect me to agree with your friend and you even though i think these are wrong assumptions do you?

@poster
in my opinion,i think it is high time nigerians both in the diaspora and in nigeria stand up and try to d their bit to complement the government,nigerians though hard working and resilient are too complacent and i agree that people will rather make excuses than take charge of issues and do something about it(note i mean nigerians in nigeria)but i reckon that is as a result of military rule for several years and coupled with the obasanjo regime which is more or less a semi military time, in my opinion we should go back to nigeria and engage in mentoring programmes that will help the less priviledged,encourage charity and more input from the private sector and try and support laws to defend vulnerable people in the society i.e children,women and its not too much for the youths in the diaspora to form a pressure group and make their voices heard,the political landscape in nigeria is changing and now you get honourable members putting their personal cell phone numbers on their websites and which they answer,the press putting pressure on politician and the politicians in turn trying to do the right things, we should forget about thegovernment for a while and actually do our bit for the society and i am sure things will change
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2008
@ lucabrasi and Elosela the ping pong of words was quite interesting but had nothing to do with the topic sad

lucabrasi:

@poster
in my opinion,i think it is high time nigerians both in the diaspora and in nigeria stand up and try to d their bit to complement the government,

, people will rather make excuses than take charge of issues and do something about it(note i mean nigerians in nigeria),

, and its not too much for the youths in the diaspora to form a pressure group and make their voices heard,

, we should forget about thegovernment for a while and actually do our bit for the society and i am sure things will change.

@ lucabrasi I don't know how old you are but you sound very intelligent and focused to me.

@Elosela and HR.hotness what can you do to help Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by HRhotness(f): 1:48pm On Apr 07, 2008
Blackcat:

@Elosela and HR.hotness what can you do to help Nigeria?

The question is what are my doing for Nigeria?

I co-started an NGO a few years back focused on women development in the Niger delta,,,,
I do have big plans for when I come back, which hopefully wont be too long now  grin
I have decided to focus on education and orientation because i believe u have to be aware and understand opportunities available in order to make full use of them.

What are u doing or what have u done?
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by EloSela(f): 2:24pm On Apr 07, 2008
@Blackcat.
The question should be . . .what are YOU guys in Nigeria doing to help YOUR country?

It may not seem that way on the face of it but I do believe that Nigerians at home have more power and opportunities to help the country from within than those abroad.

Stop all this constant crying for help, get off your backsides and help yourselves! Because you know when help is received from the outside Nigerians will always find some kind of issue to whinge about! The key is Nigerians should change their attitude. When someone gives you lemon you should make lemonade instead of moaning about why you couldn’t get the lemonade to begin with!

That being said, I have tried to do my bit in the past helping out a couple local schools but unfortunately I was taken advantage of and so I will not bother in future. . . for now.

Nigerians are inherently corrupt and the more they remain in that mindset then the less, outsiders will be willing to help. When I was in The Gambia, I saw quite a few African American students helping the local schools there. When I asked why they didn’t go to Nigeria I was looked at sideways.
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by lucabrasi(m): 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2008
@blackcat
thanks a lot and as for what have or will do for nigeria,i equally have started a group called africa mentoring programme last year,its focused at less priviledged youths and we are starting in lagos and its like a multi pronged approach first we are looking to get young people and interested nigerians in diffrent skills and professions to volunteer their time and mentor the less priviledged and direct them positively especially at the crucial age of 12-19 so they will have a positive role model and also looking to raise funds and get schorlaships for them as well, at the moment with my dad's help we have approached a couple of private schools to see if they can give like one or two places as schorlaships but you know its not easy but my dad has volunteered to sponsor 5 children through school when the whole thing gets under way, and i also have some great people a cinematographer/editor who has promised to come to nigeria when we r up and running,the second phase we are working on is to sensitise nigerians especially well off ones to foster and adopt children rather than just going to motherless babies home every xmas and giving them a plate of jollof rice and chicken then forgetting about them for the rest of the year,as you know this kind of thing will take years and i am studying at the moment so its kinda slow but we are getting there and we should do more this year when i go home on hols
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 3:01pm On Apr 07, 2008
HR.hotness:

The question is what are my doing for Nigeria?

I co-started an NGO a few years back focused on women development in the Niger delta,,,,
I do have big plans for when I come back, which hopefully wont be too long now  grin
I have decided to focus on education and orientation because i believe u have to be aware and understand opportunities available in order to make full use of them.

What are u doing or what have u done?

Kudos to you grin, it's good to know someone is doing something. I on the other hand did my bit when I was still in Nigeria(had to move to Europe to reside with hubby).  I had a small business in Nigeria and when I left all my staffs  lost their jobs sad
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 3:14pm On Apr 07, 2008
EloSela:

@Blackcat.

That being said, I have tried to do my bit in the past helping out a couple local schools but unfortunately I was taken advantage of and so I will not bother in future. . . for now.

Please don't give up on Nigeria sad. I know Nigerians are really difficult people to deal with.
I'm new in Europe but when I'm fully settled I will still try to help by maybe giving one scholarship each year to students from very poor homes in my state.
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 3:19pm On Apr 07, 2008
lucabrasi:

@blackcat
thanks a lot and as for what have or will do for nigeria,i equally have started a group called africa mentoring programme last year,its focused at less priviledged youths and we are starting in lagos and its like a multi pronged approach first we are looking to get young people and interested nigerians in diffrent skills and professions to volunteer their time and mentor the less priviledged and direct them positively especially at the crucial age of 12-19 so they will have a positive role model and also looking to raise funds and get schorlaships for them as well, at the moment with my dad's help we have approached a couple of private schools to see if they can give like one or two places as schorlaships but you know its not easy but my dad has volunteered to sponsor 5 children through school when the whole thing gets under way, and i also have some great people a cinematographer/editor who has promised to come to nigeria when we r up and running,the second phase we are working on is to sensitise nigerians especially well off ones to foster and adopt children rather than just going to motherless babies home every xmas and giving them a plate of jollof rice and chicken then forgetting about them for the rest of the year,as you know this kind of thing will take years and i am studying at the moment so its kind of slow but we are getting there and we should do more this year when i go home on hols

Kudos to you man grin
Re: Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please by lucabrasi(m): 3:51pm On Apr 07, 2008
@blackcat
thanks a lot and seeing fellow nigerians being appreciative shows we are on the right track,more importantly im sure if we all or most of us do our bits and pieces then the problem will be easier for the government to handle as even the government of countries like the united kingdom did not suceed untill the moral crusaders came in and did their bit for their country. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi / A City Where People Enter Their Houses Through The Roof (pictures) / Nsibidi And The Ibibio Civilization Of Arochukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.