Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,236 members, 7,829,425 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (200) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1498114 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olinto: 2:34am On Oct 01, 2015
ab1x:

1) 0.5, 0.8 and 1.2 mm is in 5KG bag while 2mm coppens is in 15KG bag
2) It can be 5,5 or 10,10...you only need to deduct from other ingredients to make way for them
3) Yes...If you like.

NB: My formula changes from time to time because I am still learning and I will continue to learn for as long as I am still in this business

pls how much is bag of coppen for 0.5,0.8 and 1.2mm.thanx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 2:38am On Oct 01, 2015
olinto:

pls how much is bag of coppen for 0.5,0.8 and 1.2mm.thanx

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:48am On Oct 01, 2015
good a.m. and happy independence anniversary day. I need urgently the prices of the following materials and ingredients in Ibadan:
1. Fish Meal (72%) (1 kg)
2. Toasted Soya (1 kg)
3. GNC (1 kg)
4. Biscuits (1 kg)
5. Indomie (1 kg)
6. Maize (1 kg)
7. Flour (1 kg or 1 bag of 50kg)
8. Premix (1 kg)
9. Lyzine (1 kg)
10. DCP (1 kg)
11. Vit. C (100g)
12. Molasis (1 kg)
13. Flexinor (1 kg)
14. Salt (1 kg)
15. Enzyme
16. Livtovit
17. Aquapro (1 sachet)
18. Broiler starter feed (1 kg or 1 bag of 25kg)
19. Bambara Nuts (1 kg)
20. Agric lime

Also, what is the current cost of Grinding and pelleting charge by Feed Mill in Ibadan?

Can someone also recommend a very reliable and trustworthy Feedmill to me?

Pls, Nairalanders in Ibadan, help me out, promptly. I shall be grateful.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by karlxavier(m): 2:28pm On Oct 01, 2015
oga robonski and all the gurus in the house, please how much can one use to grow fishes to melange size? i am refering to a conservative approach which one can use. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Totsy88: 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2015
ab1x:

I posted a picture a while ago. The pond is 30 by 60 by 9ft. It can house 4000 pieces of fish but I will advise that it is better to under stock than to over stock.

Thank you so much ab1x. I'm surprised to get a response with the same dimensions as mine though I plan to only go as deep as 4ft to make the harvest easier and conserve water.

I shall have a look for you picture. I am a complete beginner so I hope a pond of this size can be managed with my limited knowledge. I do plan to attend songhai next year but I must experiment up till then.

There is a vast amount o information about feed on this thread so this is my next challenge. To try and be economical with my feed but also give the fish the best possible chance. I am aiming for 1.5-2.5 kg within 6-8 months. Any advice on feed would be very welcomed as I can't seem to make up my mind.
Thank you all for all the fantastic information. God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Seunaina2(m): 9:34pm On Oct 01, 2015
Kudos to everyone here. God bless us all

I have a fish farm in ijebu but i work in lagos. I vist farm mostly weekends.

I have 1500 fish and they re 3months old. I used 35%fm (2mm) twice nd dis is d third @100kg The local feed is 310/kg and am contemplating i shd switch to Topfeed 3mm since a bag is N4000 i.e 267/kg.

Kindly advice me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:13pm On Oct 01, 2015
@seunaina2
You did not tell us the growth of your fishes having used the 35%FM formula. However, you need to consider the Crude Protein percentage of the Topfeed 3mm you want to switch to compared to the Crude Protein percentage you gave your fishes when you used the local feeds. In fact, having used 35%FM formula 2 times, it is expected that you will shift to using 30%FM which is less costlier than 35%FM formula, Based on your location, I think the 30% FM formula should cost you almost the same as Topfeed. The cost should be around N268/kg. You may calculate the cost to confirm. Most importantly, do not allow a great discrepancy between the Crude Protein percentage of the 35%FM and the choice you want to make now so as not to affect drastically the growth rate pattern you have established for your fishes. Also check the Crude Protein percentage of the 3mm Topfeed you are proposing. Take care .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by luuvee(m): 10:59pm On Oct 01, 2015
I want to tank u for d information ur giving on dis thread bro, I just ventured into fish farming and am using an earth pond. D fish is located in a swampy area so d watter is always comin up from d ground so if u pump out d water it will take few hours and d water is filled again, I don't know if its neccessary to changed d water regularly
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 11:02pm On Oct 01, 2015
Seunaina2:
Kudos to everyone here. God bless us all

I have a fish farm in ijebu but i work in lagos. I vist farm mostly weekends.

I have 1500 fish and they re 3months old. I used 35%fm (2mm) twice nd dis is d third @100kg The local feed is 310/kg and am contemplating i shd switch to Topfeed 3mm since a bag is N4000 i.e 267/kg.

Kindly advice me

It will be a disaster to change from local to floating feeds. Try it, i bet they will not accept it the way they accept local feeds. The best you can do is to reduce fish meal to 20% and continue feeding them with that.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afrika011: 12:13am On Oct 02, 2015
good morning everyone in the house. Big up for all the bosses in he house; i need a well clarifying answer on these question.

1.What do I stand to loose or gain if i decide to feed my fishes with floating feed throughout thee cycle (cost and weight wise)
2.What is the average cost of feeding 1 catfish to attain 1 kg
3.Where in Abeokuta and its environ can i get a reliable feedmill to formulate my local feed?

alomatayor@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 4:04am On Oct 02, 2015
stonedigital:
Hello house, I just got back from AB farms at Ijebu Ode and I'm rich with experience on how to build my earth pond. Believe me they mean business at Ijebu Ode because most of the pond I saw were filled with 2kg and above and I must confess that Mr. Ab1x is d real deal. Ijebu catfish farmers are the biggest in west Africa.
Am taking this moment to tell Mr. Ab1x that am his biggest fan from today and I pray that God should increase his yield a million fold.
For what its worth, it should be noted that Mr. Ab1x did not collect a dime from even when I insisted on paying for consultation fees. He ask me to come to his farm after a detailed discussion we had on the phone. I have no doubt about how lucrative catfish biz is anymore. I wish other experienced farmers in the house can assist aspiring fish farmers without misleading them for personal gains, and unemployment will be a thing of the past in Nigeria .thanks a million, Mr Ab1x
ase kindly highlight your experience

@stonedigital

please kindly highlight your experience in the construction of earthen ponds you saw
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Seunaina2(m): 6:40am On Oct 02, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@seunaina2
You did not tell us the growth of your fishes having used the 35%FM formula. However, you need to consider the Crude Protein percentage of the Topfeed 3mm you want to switch to compared to the Crude Protein percentage you gave your fishes when you used the local feeds. In fact, having used 35%FM formula 2 times, it is expected that you will shift to using 30%FM which is less costlier than 35%FM formula, Based on your location, I think the 30% FM formula should cost you almost the same as Topfeed. The cost should be around N268/kg. You may calculate the cost to confirm. Most importantly, do not allow a great discrepancy between the Crude Protein percentage of the 35%FM and the choice you want to make now so as not to affect drastically the growth rate pattern you have established for your fishes. Also check the Crude Protein percentage of the 3mm Topfeed you are proposing. Take care .

I ll have to do scaling so as to get the size of the fish but am guessing 500g. Thanks for the advice boss
ab1x:

It will be a disaster to change from local to floating feeds. Try it, i bet they will not accept it the way they accept local feeds. The best you can do is to reduce fish meal to 20% and continue feeding them with that.

Thanks boss. As clearly stated, i think it's better to just stick to the local feed. I really appreciate. God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by HQ111: 10:16am On Oct 02, 2015
Good day gurus in the house. I am a starter in fish farming and due to financial constrain I instead to convert my water reservoir to fish pond. my main concern is how to drain the water I intended to use pumping machine, is this a good management practices. also the size of the reservoir is 10f by 6f. and intended to divided it into two for sorting . I intended to stock 1500.

pls I need a response to help me move forward.

thanks and God bless.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Afrika011: 2:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
Afrika011:
good morning everyone in the house. Big up for all the bosses in he house; i need a well clarifying answer on these question.

1.What do I stand to loose or gain if i decide to feed my fishes with floating feed throughout thee cycle (cost and weight wise)
2.What is the average cost of feeding 1 catfish to attain 1 kg
3.Where in Abeokuta and its environ can i get a reliable feedmill to formulate my local feed?

alomatayor@gmail.com
. Please house. I need an answer to this question
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dy4life: 4:20pm On Oct 02, 2015
ab1x:

Attached therein is a receipt.....Fish meal is 40% and it will cost you #16,404
Ab1x.i really appreciate d way you attend to questions on this forum and d rest guru. Pls, I need clarification on your local feed u posted and Durante local feed which is more richer in protein. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 5:40pm On Oct 02, 2015
dy4life:

Ab1x.i really appreciate d way you attend to questions on this forum and d rest guru. Pls, I need clarification on your local feed u posted and Durante local feed which is more richer in protein. Thanks

Local feed is better than Durante
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cintia(f): 9:34pm On Oct 02, 2015
Thanks for your guide, the pond is not block construction but concrete. concerning the market women, we are bargaing to buy the next plot and if that

ayosat:

Good work going on there , I wish you good success . my little contribution is that :
* make sure the plastic pipes used for drainage is the big type. Ie that type used for sewage.
* make sure that the pond floor slopes towards the drainage pipes buried at the edge of the pond, so as to allow total drainage.
* make sure that cement use is well sufficient. Let them not manage especially the cement to be used in the inner covering of the pond should be high, it will make it last .
* make your gutter layout that can accommodate all the ponds to be built both now and the future.
* have a map of where the overhead tanks is going to be that can supply your ponds with water in any emergency need .
* have a place designed for the Iya eleja... Market women so they don't come too close to your ponds. For safety reasonsreasons grin
That's my 1kobo suggestion you can also take the pictures as a guide( plus or minus as you want)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 02, 2015
atanda2001uk:
Thank you again Ab1x. I think the number of fish should still be 2,000 fingerlings? Then, I only have the complete formula for 40% FM which you gave sometimes in 2013. Can we combine as follow:

Formula 1: FM-50KG, TS-20kg, GNC-20kg, Indomie/Biscts-10KG Premix-1KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-200gram, DCP-1kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-1kg

Formula 2: FM-45KG, TS-20kg, GNC-20kg, Indomie/Biscts-15KG Premix-1KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-200gram, DCP-1kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-1kg

Formula 3: FM-40KG, TS-20kg, GNC-20kg, Indomie/Biscts-20KG Premix-0.5KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-100gram, DCP-0.5kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-0.5kg

Formula 4: FM-35KG, TS-22kg, GNC-22kg, Indomie/Biscts-21KG Premix-1KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-100gram, DCP-1kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-1kg

Formula 5: FM-30KG, TS-25kg, GNC-25kg, Indomie/Biscts-20KG Premix-1KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-100gram, DCP-1kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-1kg

Formula 6: FM-30KG, TS-60kg, GNC-60kg, Flour-45KG, Broiler Starter-75kg, Indomie/Biscts-30KG, Premix-1KG, Lysine-1kg, Vit.C-150gram, DCP-1kg, Molasis-10kg, Flex-1kg, Salt-1kg.

Kindly point out any important adjustment(s) because I intend to use this template for my next batch of fingerlings which will be stocked in say, next three weeks.

I know I have to start with Coppens of 0.8mm-2 bags, 1.2mm-2bags and 2.0mm-1bag before using the local feeds. Pls, are 0.8mm, 1.2mm and 2.0mm Coppens in 15kg bags?

Thank you for always being there for people like us that are new on this forum.
Quoted for reference purpose.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
No one provided answers to my questions since yesterday. Pls, fellow Nairalanders, I still need the market prices of these materials and ingredients in Ibadan:
2. Toasted Soya (1 kg)
3. GNC (1 kg)
4. Biscuits (1 kg)
5. Indomie (1 kg)
6. Maize (1 kg)
8. Premix (1 kg)
9. Lyzine (1 kg)
10. DCP (1 kg)
11. Vit. C (100g)
12. Molasis (1 kg)
13. Flexinor (1 kg)
14. Salt (1 kg)
15. Enzyme
16. Livtovit
17. Aquapro (1 sachet)
19. Bambara Nuts (1 kg)
20. Agric lime

Also, what is the current cost of Grinding and pelleting charge by Feed Mill in Ibadan?

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 10:54pm On Oct 02, 2015
Oga Robonski and other Nairalanders Gurus from Ibadan, kindly assist me pls on the request. I want to prepare an estimates or budget for next season and you know the budget MUST be realistic as much as possible. thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 03, 2015
ab1x:

Attached therein is a receipt.....Fish meal is 40% and it will cost you #16,404
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Uokhaboy: 12:12pm On Oct 03, 2015
atanda2001uk:
No one provided answers to my questions since yesterday. Pls, fellow Nairalanders, I still need the market prices of these materials and ingredients in Ibadan:
2. Toasted Soya (1 kg)
3. GNC (1 kg)
4. Biscuits (1 kg)
5. Indomie (1 kg)
6. Maize (1 kg)
8. Premix (1 kg)
9. Lyzine (1 kg)
10. DCP (1 kg)
11. Vit. C (100g)
12. Molasis (1 kg)
13. Flexinor (1 kg)
14. Salt (1 kg)
15. Enzyme
16. Livtovit
17. Aquapro (1 sachet)
19. Bambara Nuts (1 kg)
20. Agric lime

Requesting for a good feedmill in Ibadan, i would recommend - Royalview feed mill at Jiboye b/stop going from Ibadan to Omi - adio.
A little after command school entrance.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 1:12pm On Oct 03, 2015
@Uokhaboy,
Wao! Thank you very much for your response. Though the place is very far from Bodija where I am. [email][/email]Pls, I think you must have been patronizing the feedmill. Do you keep their receipts? Prices of some items should be there. You may even download it for us to see like Ab1x did sometimes. I am really very grateful.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
HQ111:
Good day gurus in the house. I am a starter in fish farming and due to financial constrain I instead to convert my water reservoir to fish pond. my main concern is how to drain the water I intended to use pumping machine, is this a good management practices. also the size of the reservoir is 10f by 6f. and intended to divided it into two for sorting . I intended to stock 1500.

pls I need a response to help me move forward.

thanks and God bless.
hello, if I get u correctly, u mean u don't know how to drain water from ur reservoir pond, well get an experienced plumber he will do it for u. As for the number of fishes u intend stock, 1500 cat is too much for ur size of pond 10ft by 6ft should not take more than 300 fishes till harvest for a better results.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2015
Good day,

We Just want to use this medium to thank our customers that have taken it upon themselves to refer people to us... We are so gratful and please don't stop referring your friends, your foes, family and colleagues to us. We love referrals... As we construct any type and size of tarpaulin pond.

Wish you a happy New Month and Happy Independent...

God bless you all....

AMSA CONCEPT ENT. !!!
Email:Saheed.amao@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:45pm On Oct 03, 2015
atanda2001uk:
good a.m. and happy independence anniversary day. I need urgently the prices of the following materials and ingredients in Ibadan:
2. Toasted Soya (1 kg)
3. GNC (1 kg)
4. Biscuits (1 kg)
5. Indomie (1 kg)
6. Maize (1 kg)
8. Premix (1 kg)
9. Lyzine (1 kg)
10. DCP (1 kg)
11. Vit. C (100g)
12. Molasis (1 kg)
13. Flexinor (1 kg)
14. Salt (1 kg)
15. Enzyme
16. Livtovit
17. Aquapro (1 sachet)
19. Bambara Nuts (1 kg)
20. Agric lime

which area are u based?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
@Chilanfarm.
Ringroad Area. Thank you sir.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Uokhaboy: 10:53pm On Oct 03, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@Uokhaboy,
Wao! Thank you very much for your response. Though the place is very far from Bodija where I am. [email][/email]Pls, I think you must have been patronizing the feedmill. Do you keep their receipts? Prices of some items should be there. You may even download it for us to see like Ab1x did sometimes. I am really very grateful.

I am still studying this thread and planning to get started.
A close neighbour who holds them in high esteem recommended the place.
I guess a visit to the feedmill should answer all ur questions. Try and make out time.
I personally will visit them very soon - when am done with my planning.
Cheers!.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 12:20am On Oct 04, 2015
@Uokhaboy,
Thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:38am On Oct 04, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@Uokhaboy,
for ppl arround that axis royalview is d best feeedmill.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@Chilanfarm.
Ringroad Area. Thank you sir.
That side is not far to you sir, u can put dem in a bus from omi-ring road... b4 I knw that feedmil I travel to ijeebu to mill...

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.