Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (299) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1500019 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seskee(f): 10:57am On Jun 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
i haven't seen where i am presently, na school i dey & the state na book with education be their focus (laugh). If u are in lagos, it will be almost impossible for it not to be sold in alaba market, if ibadan, check dugbe/gbagi. Though possible others could/might be able to assist

Tnks bro.will extend my search to alaba tru a friend
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seskee(f): 10:58am On Jun 09, 2016
Ttalk:

Yes, there is a standard hatchery in Abuja with very good production of seed in large quantity. But the price a bit higher than what you get in Lagos /Ibadan. Am not their marketing manager i would have post the name of the farm but you can email me on goldgate2003@yahoo.com

Ok
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dondo83(m): 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2016
good afternoon house. how many weeks or month is advisable to switch from foreign feed to other alternatives
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by item4biz: 4:01pm On Jun 09, 2016
Pls concrete pond and tarpaulin pand which is most cost effective? Considering I have a personal location.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2016
dondo83:
good afternoon house. how many weeks or month is advisable to switch from foreign feed to other alternatives

it depend on your management capability, range between 3weeks to 3months from fingerlings
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
item4biz:
Pls concrete pond and tarpaulin pand which is most cost effective? Considering I have a personal location.
initial financial outlay of concrete might look more,but if well constructed,it is durable. Tarpaulin is also great,even if you have your home as your farmsite, provided the material isn't inferior, it could have made you your profit & given funds for replacement before it expire or worn out
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stephanienwa: 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2016
Hello everyone, good day to you all. I am a new female in fish farming and have learnt a lot from this thread. Pls I just got a tarpauline pond of size 9*16*4. How many fingerlings can I stock into it Tom grow to table size? And pls how may I wash the tarpauline for use?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
I became a fish farmer barely a month ago....I must confess this forum has been of great help to me.
I would appreciate it if someone could provide an answer to the below question

how many weeks from fingerling can one start feeding a fish with 4.5mm feed?

I know the particular time could vary...., just need an estimate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 8:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

What do U mean by "a neaby bush water"? Are you refering to a stream or a dam? If yes, I'll say YES!!! But there. Must be a CAUTION to be sure that the water isn't polluted. Firstly, ensure that you analys the water to. Be sure of its quality. You can also try to get ZEOLITE to filter/clean all the water that enters your pond from such source so as to guide against infection and pollution.

Wishing you all the very best!!!
sir thank U 4 ur response, the place is a swampy area (semi stagnant) cos the water flow slowly...... Also when i fesh the water, it is clean and odourless. So my able gurus can i use it for a start before borehole water? Tnks as i await ur response.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 8:34pm On Jun 09, 2016
Helloh how are you?[size=8pt][/size] been long una saw me... am kuku here. Hope ya'll are doing fine n d fish's choping well. Don't dull ooo fish price must change smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
No of fingerlings = ((9 *16*4)/3)*5.
stephanienwa:
Hello everyone, good day to you all. I am a new female in fish farming and have learnt a lot from this thread. Pls I just got a tarpauline pond of size 9*16*4. How many fingerlings can I stock into it Tom grow to table size? And pls how may I wash the tarpauline for use?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dondo83(m): 9:49pm On Jun 09, 2016
Ttalk:

it depend on your management capability, range between 3weeks to 3months from fingerlings

my oga thanks. I will call you tommorow.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by item4biz: 11:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
initial financial outlay of concrete might look more,but if well constructed,it is durable. Tarpaulin is also great,even if you have your home as your farmsite, provided the material isn't inferior, it could have made you your profit & given funds for replacement before it expire or worn out

Thank you so much for this response. The time taken to answer me is also appreciated. God bless you. Getting a good hand is tasking for the concrete pond.

But tarpaulin pond too is quite expensive too except the quotations am being offered is quite high.

Pls anyone here who had constructed tarpaulin pond? How much?

@Stephanienwa, how much did you construct yours?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 6:33am On Jun 10, 2016
Hello everyone hope we all had a great night, May God bless our hustle
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 10:59am On Jun 10, 2016
If it's Ur permanent site or compound concrete is advisable if well constructed not minding the initial cost if almost permanent the maintenance years after is very minimal compared to replacing trampoline. And the cost of either depends on size and plumbing route from source and Drainage.
item4biz:

Thank you so much for this response. The time taken to answer me is also appreciated. God bless you. Getting a good hand is tasking for the concrete pond.

But tarpaulin pond too is quite expensive too except the quotations am being offered is quite high.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:45am On Jun 10, 2016
Yes the solution is here, we can now take a breath of relief from the economic downturn that is hitting every sector most especially the one that is affecting us as fish farmer.

In the past few weeks we have been hit with increase in the price of feed as well as unavailability of electricity to pump water into our ponds. Feed that was sold 16months ago at N3800 is now been sold at N7,000 and above nonetheless the price of fish has remain the same. Many newbie who depend on PHCN and gasoline generator to power their farm no longer find it funny. The increase in electricity tariff couple with almost zero supply of electricity has dealt a big blow to many farms, this has equally been compounded with filling stations staff who demand additional money from gullible farmers that only need fuel for his generator. Many filling stations bluntly denied selling fuel for farmers and the one who sell collect extra money while you only get half of what you paid for. No thanks to doctored dispensing meter by cunning fuel attendants.

Just as we are trying to cope with this harsh situation, the increment in price of fuel came in and a litre of gasoline jump from 87naira to 145naira.
Purchasing power of average Nigerian shrank as the economy goes into recession with 2 consecutive quarter giving negative signs. This is indeed a trying time for business people in Nigeria. Small scale businesses are folding up while the struggling ones are making huge loss. When the time get tough the tough gets going and it take a tough mind to venture into fish farm business in Nigeria where the business terrain is very rough.

NOW THE SURVIVAL PLAN:
This economic reality has led to the development of a means of generating power and feed production for individual farm that brings about the designing of 3 in 1 grinding, pelleting and power generating system for farm. The GPP Diesel Machine can now supply your farm with the electricity to power your farm as well as serves as production unit for your fish feed you only need to tap into this innovation and you will be relieved of unnecessary expenses. It will enable you to take control of your business and makes you have a foundation to excel in fish farm.

Here i unveil for the first time in our generation a powerful 3 in 1,multipurpose locally made machine that grind, pelletise and provide power supply to your farm

Thanks to Mr Robonski for creating this platform for us to interact. Also to those who bought into the 2 in 1 grinding and pelleting idea and others who have been encouraging us and to all members of this forum.

My appreciation to Mrs Pat from Federal Ministry of Agriculture for your support into this wonderful breakthrough, @Pearlyfish of nairaland you have been a wonderful woman, permit me to post your 3 in 1 GPP machine that we just completed.

Note: I will be available to answer questions pertaining to this project but all purchasing requests will not be answered on this forum so as not to derail progress of this educative thread. You can channel such question to my mail at goldgate2003@yahoo.com

Attention:

cc

Min on Agriculture, Fed Rep of Nig.
Distinguish Senators of Federal Republic of Nigeria
Honourable Members, Federal Republic of Nigeria,
State Commissioners for Agriculture
Empowerment and Entreprenuership Agencies/Institutions/ Parastatals
Private Agricultural Farms
Concerned Individuals

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:34pm On Jun 10, 2016
item4biz:

Thank God, All the best In it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:35pm On Jun 10, 2016
saheed3:
Hello everyone hope we all had a great night, May God bless our hustle
Amen
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2016
Ttalk, nice initiative.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
get the water source,is it ground water or waste water. Is it polluted or normal. Is it habitat for reptiles,so you know how or what to do to eradicate them. Is it just another stagnant water? Not all spots supports good growth.
tnks for ur concern, the place is a swamp area and the water flows slowly also the water is clean and does not hv odour...... Though reptiles are around but they don't stay in the water. Pls hw can i knw if the water is polluted or not?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Ttalk, nice initiative.

We count on your support, sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stephanienwa: 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2016
item4biz:

Thnk you yomiknows for your response. Itembiz, I constructed it here in Port harcourt. size 9*16*4fts@ #57,000. I could connect you to them if you want.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:32pm On Jun 10, 2016
godwinufi68:
tnks for ur concern, the place is a swamp area and the water flows slowly also the water is clean and does not hv odour...... Though reptiles are around but they don't stay in the water. Pls hw can i knw if the water is polluted or not?

That water doesn't have odor doesn't make it good. Yes reptiles dont stay in the water, but they come around, feed,bath and go. Just test the water. There are PH meter or you do reality sampling, introduce few fishes into it, say 20-30 and the result or observation would inform you concerning the whole what you might/will see as a result of taking this sample test
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2016
Ttalk:

We count on your support, sir
I am ready to support everyone and if not in my ability, i try to introduce such to those that has the capability and could help.

Just a word of advice; Let there be integrity. Dont take more than what you could efficiently produce and integrity in timing also counts.

The LOrd will announce you to the world.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bukyne: 2:50pm On Jun 10, 2016
Good day all,
Please can I get a contact of anyone who sells catfish fingerlings/ juveniles residing in Lagos.
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wisefizz(m): 6:58pm On Jun 10, 2016
gud day to all the gurus in the house... pls, is it advisable to hatch into earthen pond? i mean not too big earthen pond...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CnCstore: 10:35pm On Jun 10, 2016
bukyne:
Good day all,
Please can I get a contact of anyone who sells catfish fingerlings/ juveniles residing in Lagos.
Thanks

call or whatsapp 08055238938.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by item4biz: 11:06pm On Jun 10, 2016
stephanienwa:

Thnk you yomiknows for your response. Itembiz, I constructed it here in Port harcourt. size 9*16*4fts@ #57,000. I could connect you to them if you want.

I do appreciate your response.

Am in lagos. Are they in Lagos too?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by item4biz: 11:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
aoladayo:
If it's Ur permanent site or compound concrete is advisable if well constructed not minding the initial cost if almost permanent the maintenance years after is very minimal compared to replacing trampoline. And the cost of either depends on size and plumbing route from source and Drainage.

Thank you. Have not being able to get someone good for the concrete pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 11:38pm On Jun 10, 2016
excelsiorfarm:

That water doesn't have odor doesn't make it good. Yes reptiles dont stay in the water, but they come around, feed,bath and go. Just test the water. There are PH meter or you do reality sampling, introduce few fishes into it, say 20-30 and the result or observation would inform you concerning the whole what you might/will see as a result of taking this sample test
the boss i so mch appreciate ur advise, i hv carried out the test by putting few in a plastic bowl and to my observation they are swimming wel, smart and responding to feeding, but after abt 3 hours i found out dat there are little red foams on the water surface also red dirt @ the bottom. Pls my ogas them do advice an amateur like me, tnks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 12:18am On Jun 11, 2016
You need a bricklayer basically someone with experience and depending on the positioning in your compound you want to construct it require careful and experienced hand to implement it, but you must supervise it strictly. You can buy ready made vibrated blocks of size 9inch from first coach make sure mixed gravel if filled in it to make it strong as against collapse.

But first you need to map out your location and intended sizes of pond like mine being an indoor pond plus I had gravel already cost me like 160k though with tiles and a special waterproofing mix to give the cement strength and repelling against water absorption.

item4biz:

Thank you. Have not being able to get someone good for the concrete pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aoladayo(m): 12:22am On Jun 11, 2016
If you are taking water from that stream I will advice you pass it through a filter even if it's clean and odorless, to avoid sediments and algae or sis you can't see instantly with hate eyes. Such as the one I used below

godwinufi68:
the boss i so mch appreciate ur advise, i hv carried out the test by putting few in a plastic bowl and to my observation they are swimming wel, smart and responding to feeding, but after abt 3 hours i found out dat there are little red foams on the water surface also red dirt @ the bottom. Pls my ogas them do advice an amateur like me, tnks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.