Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,480 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (327) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494375 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by rhef(m): 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2016
akhis:
Hello Hous. Finally I have started my small fish farm but I need help. Pls dont mind me, a beginner. I stocked my fish on Sunday and started feeding on Monday morning. As at date, I have recorded mortality of almost 100. I stocked I350 in a pond of 8by16 feet pond. (Concrete). I called my supplier and he said I should treat the fish with injection powder, salt, ampiclox and chlorophenicle. (I hope I spelt it well) He also said I should use vital plus as well. I just did that today and am praying things improve soon. Pls what could have been the cause? What am I doing wrong. I feed the fish with 1.8 coppens.
Pls, drain the pond by covering the pipe mouth with net. Pick out the dead.
Separate the weak from healthy ones.
Put them in separate bowls containing little amount of water. Apply procaine penicilline(injection powder). Pour out the water after 2-3mins and re-stock d healthy ones first, then d unhealthy after 15-20hrs or 1day.
...to be continue.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:56pm On Aug 19, 2016
swissflow:

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will have to re align my plans. I will update you as I go along.
Thank God, no problem
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ellenfransico(f): 10:26am On Aug 20, 2016
robonski15:
Fish farming like other business has its prons and cons.. And truthfully its a very lucrative and yet a money draining business..

I have read articles about how lucrative the business is and how to invest and reap millions.. All I do is just to laugh on reading such article.. All they want is just for u to buy their manual and make money.. Surprisingly most of them don't have a farm of their own, they are computer farmers who don't have any experience whatsoever in the business..

I know of farms within my area who have shut down their farms due to frequent loss over the years.. I was also considering shutting down myself after I lost close to 2 million naira, yeah u heard me TWO MILLION NAIRA, but after diligent study which took about a year I decided to give it my last shot..

To be continued..

Here is the fish feed pellet mill both for floating fish feed and sink fish feed.
While mainly depends on your raw material.
For own fish farming or for fish feed processing factory.
Always one proper machine for you.-----Contact: service@bscglobe.com

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by onuwaje(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2016
Just stumbled accross this thread..
Im a corper who is rounding up by oct this year and i wish to venture into dis fish farming business..

I av made enquiries about how to rent a pond

Pls i all d help i can get here

My email gbusonuwaje@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
melenge 250kg available.....Lagos.....07060523565
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 12:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
possible challenge; your pond is overcrowded, your feed was contaminated, stress, excessive use & multiple drugs & changing of drugs or rough handling, which ,, create an environment for this.[/quote] thank u sir, there is actually a feed that once I gave it to them some reacted dat way and died, could too much maize in a local feed cause it? Or I should just dispose the feed, the fish are two months old
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:22pm On Aug 20, 2016
Star30:
possible challenge; your pond is overcrowded, your feed was contaminated, stress, excessive use & multiple drugs & changing of drugs or rough handling, which ,, create an environment for this. thank u sir, there is actually a feed that once I gave it to them some reacted dat way and died, could too much maize in a local feed cause it? Or I should just dispose the feed, the fish are two months old
Thank God sir. maize is good, too much cannot help much, due to the issue of digestibility. I wont advice you throw away the feed if not expired, spoil or contaminated. NOTE- no matter how poor a feed analysis or composition is, it could still be reformulated if you can bear the stress.

Also maize that are sold wet is a problem to farmers because of aflatoxin(whether in fishfarming or poultry).
Check or discuss with those making feed and they could guide you, your feed digestibility could be a problem to your fishes.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
Thank u sir I appreciate #excesiorfarm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 3:16pm On Aug 20, 2016
robonski15:

Hello sir, one thing I usually tell first timers is to start small, fish farming is beyond digging ponds and stocking large amount of fishes. first learn some management techniques with some fishes before you expand. 30k fishes is way too much sir I must be honest with you.

If you have a good swampy area for earthen pond I will advice you start with two earthen ponds 40ft by 45ft with a depth of 4 feet each , though it will contain 5000 fishes comfortably but stock 2k in each pond for a start then start learning the management techniques as members of the house drop some info to guide you, then you can expand after harvest.

www.agricnetwork.com
pls sir how many fish will an earthen pond of 20 by 30ft plus 7ft deep accomodate to table size (stagnant water type)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 3:17pm On Aug 20, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thank God sir. maize is good, too much cannot help much, due to the issue of digestibility. I wont advice you throw away the feed if not expired, spoil or contaminated. NOTE- no matter how poor a feed analysis or composition is, it could still be reformulated if you can bear the stress.

Also maize that are sold wet is a problem to farmers because of aflatoxin(whether in fishfarming or poultry).
Check or discuss with those making feed and they could guide you, your feed digestibility could be a problem to your fishes.
thank u very much sir IIappreciate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2016
excelsiorfarm:

thank u very much sir I appreciate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
Star30:
thank u very much sir I appreciate
Thank God sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by miqos02(m): 4:12am On Aug 21, 2016
Star30:
pls sir how many fish will an earthen pond of 20 by 30ft plus 7ft deep accomodate to table size (stagnant water type)
me sef wan know, but 7ft too deep oh, u wan bury person?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:47am On Aug 21, 2016
Star30:
that depth isn't advisable, if you insist, make sure you buy life jacket for yourself & all the workers. Safety first.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 9:49am On Aug 21, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
that depth isn't advisable, if you insist, make sure you buy life jacket for yourself & all the workers. Safety first.
miqos02:
me sef wan know, but 7ft too deep oh, u wan bury person?
ok sir excluding the 7ft depth, say 4ft how many fishes can it rear to table size 30 by 20 ft
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:36pm On Aug 21, 2016
Star30:
ok sir excluding the 7ft depth, say 4ft how many fishes can it rear to table size 30 by 20 ft
i excluded that one so you can easily get it from the numerous repetition that we have being stating about how to calculate or evaluate what to stock in any given measurement.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 3:41pm On Aug 21, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
i excluded that one so you can easily get it from the numerous repetition that we have being stating about how to calculate or evaluate what to stock in any given measurement.
ok thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Are84(m): 8:30am On Aug 22, 2016
Hello to everybody in the house.

I'm planning to go into fish farming business and i contacted a friend to guide me on how the cost is gonna be, he said i would need 1m naira to rear 1000 juvenile to table size.
Pls is this amount not overstated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by siresiree: 11:31am On Aug 22, 2016
true
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
Are84:

I'm planning to go into fish farming business and i contacted a friend to guide me on how the cost is gonna be, he said i would need 1m naira to rear 1000 juvenile to table size.

Does the 1m naira includes the build up of the farm or just feeding only?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:58pm On Aug 22, 2016
Are84:

hmmmmm. If for raising only fish, you are already projecting a loss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Are84(m): 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
robonski15:

Does the 1m naira includes the build up of the farm or just feeding only?

Just the feeding
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Are84(m): 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
hmmmmm. If for raising only fish, you are already projecting a loss.

Please your response is not clear to me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:00pm On Aug 22, 2016
Are84:

Please your response is not clear to me
from your statement above "just the feeding", it is analysis to suffer loss & it is obvious that he/she isn't knowledgeable about fishfarming or intends to waste your resources if he/she is expecting you to give the fund. DONT QUOTE ME,BUT THAT IS THE TRUTH.

Simple observation:- if you sell your 1kg for max N700 each, 1000kg= N700,000 after sales. So make your conclusion sir
( Not to forget that your meaningful profit is included in the N700, meaningful differ from individual to another,but based on feed type use,feeding mgt etc.)

If you go possibly a few pages on this thread, maybe 2-4, the op answered this question from someone. I do encourage people to SACRIFICE the time to read through, because there is lot to gain from patience of doing it.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Saintee2009(m): 8:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
Hello house,
Please can anyone update us with the latest prices of the fish feeds. This would really help us intending farmers to know what we are up against and plan ahead.
Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Brozo1: 10:10pm On Aug 22, 2016
Good evening everyone. where can i get feeds for fingerlings in Agege, Ogba, Ikeja and Sango, I just stocked about two days ago and have not been able to get their feed here in Abeokuta, I tried crushing the 3mm that I bought, but it didn't seem to work. Your quick response will be highly appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amb2015(m): 6:27am On Aug 23, 2016
cleavon:

please is the pumping machine in the dug pit used to suck the water away....?
yes, just for discharge

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 23, 2016
deleted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Are84(m): 9:35am On Aug 23, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
from your statement above "just the feeding", it is analysis to suffer loss & it is obvious that he/she isn't knowledgeable about fishfarming or intends to waste your resources if he/she is expecting you to give the fund. DONT QUOTE ME,BUT THAT IS THE TRUTH.

Simple observation:- if you sell your 1kg for max N700 each, 1000kg= N700,000 after sales. So make your conclusion sir
( Not to forget that your meaningful profit is included in the N700, meaningful differ from individual to another,but based on feed type use,feeding mgt etc.)

If you go possibly a few pages on this thread, maybe 2-4, the op answered this question from someone. I do encourage people to SACRIFICE the time to read through, because there is lot to gain from patience of doing it.

I got your point now, thanks alot
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CnCstore: 9:36am On Aug 23, 2016
Brozo1:
Good evening everyone. where can i get feeds for fingerlings in Agege, Ogba, Ikeja and Sango, I just stocked about two days ago and have not been able to get their feed here in Abeokuta, I tried crushing the 3mm that I bought, but it didn't seem to work. Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

It's available in ikorodu.could just give a cab.even if you crush the 3mm.the protein content isn't enough for them.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Brozo1: 9:44am On Aug 23, 2016
Where in Ikorodu please and is it coppens or which brand?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CnCstore: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2016
Brozo1:
Where in Ikorodu please?

I am sure of Gbodu junction,gberigbe road.cos that's where I buy from.it should be in sabo market too tho.

(1) (2) (3) ... (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.