Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,797 members, 7,817,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (332) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494339 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:32pm On Sep 07, 2016
2saints:

Thanks sir. Can I use antibiotics again, cos I've used it once when I stocked, but didn't use after I changed the water.
you can depending on the severity of their state, but aquapro is mild and can be use anytime. Also do not allow water height to be too much if mobile ponds because of their state.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:36pm On Sep 07, 2016
igchuks:
Dear farmers, I started reading this thread from the beginning. Feels like I have attended a fish farm seminar with all the lectures, challenges an solution proffered. I want to appreciate all (Rob, Ab1x, Excelsoir Ayosat just to mention a few) who have been their brother's keeper God will surely bless you all. AMEN

Please house I will be stocking my earthen pond o Friday with juveniles. I limed it and net it last week and pumped out the water yesterday. After pumping I discovered there were 2 or 3 averagely grow frogs and tapoles. wte killed the frogs but left the tadpole. My concerns:

1. Will the tadpoles serve as food for the juveniles?
2. It appears the liming was not as effective due to the presence of the tadpoles. Though on the very day of application alot died. I don't know how they got in again. Should I be worried?
3.What should I give them to reduce the stress of transportation?
4. As prevention is better than cure. What best practices in terms of medication can one adopt to prevent diseases.

Thanks
Amen to your prayers in Jesus Name,Amen.

let me answer your questions, the tadpoles would serve as food provided your juveniles in question are well develop in size, because their numbers are usually much and they grow fast into frog,better they are small or your suppose juvenile could be consume if they outgrow them quickly.
the lime was effective, but when you lime and there is water, effectiveness could reduce, in such cases you re-lime. the unhatched eggs during application are what you are seeing now as tadpoles. I would even say, your one week isn't enough time for development of the effectiveness for bloom of plankton in ponds. hence in all, make sure your juvenile is really juveniles or you could loss all(writing with experience).

for transportation, from where to where? whichever distance? ask your breeder to starve them for a day or two(duration depends on how far the distance), but i expect a good or experience breeder to have ask all this taken precaution on the behalf of the buyer. Add a few drops of palm oil to their water so the water doesn't foam and for better transportation medium.

A good fish will not need any medication immediately

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 07, 2016
robonski15:

Why not ask here so long its related to fish farming, so others can learn..
Can baking powder or baking soda be used to increase the pH level in a hatchery? Secondly what combination of feed can one get to feed the frys cos artemia wipes out my frys when I feed them with it?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 10:50pm On Sep 07, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Amen to your prayers in Jesus Name,Amen.

let me answer your questions, the tadpoles would serve as food provided your juveniles in question are well develop in size, because their numbers are usually much and they grow fast into frog,better they are small or your suppose juvenile could be consume if they outgrow them quickly.
the lime was effective, but when you lime and there is water, effectiveness could reduce, in such cases you re-lime. the unhatched eggs during application are what you are seeing now as tadpoles. I would even say, your one week isn't enough time for development of the effectiveness for bloom of plankton in ponds. hence in all, make sure your juvenile is really juveniles or you could loss all(writing with experience).

for transportation, from where to where? whichever distance? ask your breeder to starve them for a day or two(duration depends on how far the distance), but i expect a good or experience breeder to have ask all this taken precaution on the behalf of the buyer. Add a few drops of palm oil to their water so the water doesn't foam and for better transportation medium.

A good fish will not need any medication immediately

Excelsoir thanks very much for your response.

I expect the juveniles to be bigger than the tadpoles, I will confirm tomorrow. The attached picture is the size of the tadpole. We kill every frog in the pond. Truly I should re-lime but my pick up date is this Friday. I remember the tadpoles that survived where those that were fortunate to be on the path created by water sipping out from the ground. They could barely beat the small current of the seeps.

I just read on google that it takes about 6-9 weeks to develop into a frog. I pray they are eaten up before this time However I should be sorting in a month’s time.

The transportation should not be up to 2hrs (from Iyan Oba to Ikorodu) though Lagos traffic could be unpredictable. The transporting container is a 50 liter that is cut open. I will tell the breeder to starve them the whole of tomorrow.
As per feeding the option I have is Skretting and Aller Aqua in term of availability and accessibility. Skretting is cheaper but which is better?

Thanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by webhostbiz: 6:53am On Sep 08, 2016
thanks for the good work. please I need a cost analysis for rearing 3000 catfish to smoke size (melange) using earthen pond. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:22am On Sep 08, 2016
@igchuks, i dont know the timing from tadpole to frog,but i know before you know it they are all grown up. If the picture i saw is exact size,i think the tadpole should be 2-2.5 inches. A standard or reasonable juvenile should not be less than 4.5 inches in size. Evaluating this,it might be a challenge for the juvenile to feast on them,moreover tadpoles normally in most cases would have higher number on their side. About transportation for just 2-4 hours? let him feed them today,no challenge,but should not feed them on the day you intend to pick them. That distance time not much. I believe the breeder knows that. Ensure you add few drops of palm oil into your water in the jerry can with the fishes to avoid foaming,reduce stress.
About the two feeds,they both have good report.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by godwinufi68(m): 8:55am On Sep 08, 2016
Gudm to my fellow nairalanders, may almighty Jehovah bless our hustle in Jesus name. I hav been offline for a while due to financial challenges am facing in my "first production". So far my fishes are 3months 2moro (drying stage) and i think selling is d best option for me right now. My regards to everyone
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dondo83(m): 9:09am On Sep 08, 2016
godwinufi68:
Gudm to my fellow nairalanders, may almighty Jehovah bless our hustle in Jesus name. I hav been offline for a while due to financial challenges am facing in my "first production". So far my fishes are 3months 2moro (drying stage) and i think selling is d best option for me right now. My regards to everyone

he no easy..... I feel your hustle. mine is 3months and 2weeks. cant wait until 4months mehn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2016
godwinufi68:

Keep it up bro, God bless your Hustle.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by khaleesi(f): 5:16pm On Sep 08, 2016
Hello house please I need your help on this. My husband wants to invest in catfish business. He has never done it before and we have no idea the cost involved. We are thinking of starting with 1500 juveniles and breeding them for 4 months. Please what feed do we have to give them at every stage- from the 1st 2 weeks to the 4th month?..what is the cost of the feed and how long does a bag usually last for the quantity of fish we intend to rear? We are just trying to get a rough estimate of the money we will put into feeding them. Thanks for your response
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2016
khaleesi:
Hello house please I need your help on this. My husband wants to invest in catfish business. He has never done it before and we have no idea the cost involved. We are thinking of starting with 1500 juveniles and breeding them for 4 months. Please what feed do we have to give them at every stage- from the 1st 2 weeks to the 4th month?..what is the cost of the feed and how long does a bag usually last for the quantity of fish we intend to rear? We are just trying to get a rough estimate of the money we will put into feeding them. Thanks for your response
TO FEED THEM FOR 4MONTHS BUDGET 300 PER FISH HAVING @ THE BACK OF YOUR MIND THAT YOU WILL ONLY USE VERY FEW BAGS OF IMPORTED FEED JUST FOR THE FIRST MONTH. 2-4MONTH WILL BE LOCAL. FOR MORE DETAILS CHAT ME ON 07065874135. THE CHEAPEST FEED NOW IS 7500
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fullman(m): 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2016
Am just buying a 8ft by 18ft by 4ft tarpaulin.
Please guru can it take up to 1200fishes for 5month as the seller claims.
Also what should I do to the tarpaulin before putting the juveniles.

Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2016
fullman:
Am just buying a 8ft by 18ft by 4ft tarpaulin.
Please guru can it take up to 1200fishes for 5month as the seller claims.
Also what should I do to the tarpaulin before putting the juveniles.

Thanks
If you will be ruining 24hrs flow thru u can stock 1200 otherwise stock less.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:17am On Sep 09, 2016
morning oga Ttalkm i didnt hear from u again.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Beltway8: 8:31am On Sep 09, 2016
Good morning esteemed entrepreneurs,
I am humbly coming to you because i am having an issue when trying to calculate the cost of raising 1000 fingerlings to table size, so that i can plan my entry into this business properly. I have this calculation as of now based on my research but it seems pricey. My per unit cost of raising one fish to table-size comes out to 572 naira per and that is not enticing at all. Please can anyone pick apart my calculations and enlighten me as to the error of my ways. All constructive criticism is welcomed.

USING FCR 1.2:1
1000...1200KG
1 FISH NEEDS 1.2KG
TO GET 1000 FISH TO 300 GRAMS ON IMPORTED FEED
1 FISH TO 300 GRAMS IN TWO MONTHS 300*1.2---360
300GRAMS * 1000 FISH -- 360 KG
IMPORTED FEED IS 15KG/ BAG
360KG/15---24 BAGS
24 BAGS OF IMPORTED FEED @ 9700 PER BAG ---232,800

TO GET 1000 FISH TO 700 GRAMS
1 FISH TO 700 GRAMS IN 4 MONTHS 700*1.2---840
840GRAMS * 1000 FISH -- 840KG
LOCAL FEED 50KG/BAG
840KG/50 --16.8 BAGS (17)
17 BAGS OF LOCAL FEED @ 20K PER BAG -- 340,000

340,000+ 232,800 --- 572,800?

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by agapeiyke: 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2016
Kindly contact Superway farms on 08037669317 for your fingerlings, Juvenilles and Post-fingerlings if you are around Warri and environs. Our Stocks are of very high quality. We also offer consultancy and advice.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 10:21pm On Sep 09, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
@igchuks, i dont know the timing from tadpole to frog,but i know before you know it they are all grown up. If the picture i saw is exact size,i think the tadpole should be 2-2.5 inches. A standard or reasonable juvenile should not be less than 4.5 inches in size. Evaluating this,it might be a challenge for the juvenile to feast on them,moreover tadpoles normally in most cases would have higher number on their side. About transportation for just 2-4 hours? let him feed them today,no challenge,but should not feed them on the day you intend to pick them. That distance time not much. I believe the breeder knows that. Ensure you add few drops of palm oil into your water in the jerry can with the fishes to avoid foaming,reduce stress.
About the two feeds,they both have good report.

Excelsoir thanks again.
Finally took delivery of 5000 post Juveniles and juveniles. I had 6 50lts jerricans. I put 1000 in 4 of them then 500 in the remaining 2 jerricans.I recorded some mortality in the 50ltr with 1000 and none in the 500. It took about 4hrs to get to my farm. Guess the number was too many. I learnt my lesson. The juveniles chased after the tadpoles to eat them and alot of them ran out of the pond. Feeding will commence tomorrow. I really appreciate your advise
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:56am On Sep 10, 2016
igchuks:

Excelsoir thanks again.
Finally took delivery of 5000 post Juveniles and juveniles. I had 6 50lts jerricans. I put 1000 in 4 of them then 500 in the remaining 2 jerricans.I recorded some mortality in the 50ltr with 1000 and none in the 500. It took about 4hrs to get to my farm. Guess the number was too many. I learnt my lesson. The juveniles chased after the tadpoles to eat them and alot of them ran out of the pond. Feeding will commence tomorrow. I really appreciate your advise
Thank God. did you count the cost before taking 5000 or are you targeting melange,also what is your pond size? What is mortality figure & how big were the juveniles? lets see your pond & give us the state of your fishes & how you transported them? water volume etc. to have suffer mortality
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MAAF: 10:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Gurus In the house, does anybody know the quantity of poultry manure (weight in kg) to apply to a pond on 11 feet by 7 feet with a water depth of 50cm to fertilize my concrete pond for transfer of fish fries.
I do not want to over fertilize it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 10, 2016
Please house, who can help direct me on how to calibrate the pocket sized pH meter I bought to 7 . They are talking of using a buffer solution and I don't know hw to prepare it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 8:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
Thank God. did you count the cost before taking 5000 or are you targeting melange,also what is your pond size? What is mortality figure & how big were the juveniles? lets see your pond & give us the state of your fishes & how you transported them? water volume etc. to have suffer mortality

The target is melange. I have 3 earthen ponds measuring 40x24x3, 40x20x3 and 40x18x3. All in ft. I know it will gulp alot I have planned for it. Mortality could be btw 50-100 though I couldn't count as they are yet to surface and float. Unless a miracle happened and they are alive.

Generally they are doing fine and I moved feeding to tomorrow morning. The transporting medium was a 50L jerrican filled with water a little above the middle mark. I did add a lil red oil as advise. I believe the mortality was as a result of overcrowding because there was no mortality in the jerrican with 500 juveniles. I put the jerricans in my trunk, turned on the AC and opened the hatch that connects the trunk and the car so that the AC could reach them. After releasing them in the pond I added a lil salt to the pond.

Attached are pics of the juveniles and pond

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2016
MAAF:
Gurus In the house, does anybody know the quantity of poultry manure (weight in kg) to apply to a pond on 11 feet by 7 feet with a water depth of 50cm to fertilize my concrete pond for transfer of fish fries.
I do not want to over fertilize it.

Apply inorganic fertilizer at a rate of 2g/m² or 2g/10.76ft²
Apply organic fertilizer at a rate of 50g/m² or 50g/10.76ft²

For your pond multiply 11x7 then divide by 10.76 = 7.2
So you should be applying 50x7.2g of organic fertilizer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Shilohfarms: 10:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
Thanks a lot for the gurus here. please can i use wooden tarpaulin pond for my hatchery? What can i use to wash and disinfect it properly. thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:14pm On Sep 10, 2016
igchuks:

The target is melange. I have 3 earthen ponds measuring 40x24x3, 40x20x3 and 40x18x3. All in ft. I know it will gulp alot I have planned for it. Mortality could be btw 50-100 though I couldn't count as they are yet to surface and float. Unless a miracle happened and they are alive. Generally they are doing fine and I moved feeding to tomorrow morning. The transporting medium was a 50L jerrican filled with water a little above the middle mark. I did add a lil red oil as advise. I believe the mortality was as a result of overcrowding because there was no mortality in the jerrican with 500 juveniles. Attached are pics of the juveniles and pond
seen,your seller should have given you 2-3% of the stock bought. Its well.

All the best
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MAAF: 10:25pm On Sep 10, 2016
igchuks:

Apply inorganic fertilizer at a rate of 2g/m² or 2g/10.76ft²
Apply organic fertilizer at a rate of 50g/m² or 50g/10.76ft²

For your pond multiply 11x7 then divide by 10.76 = 7.2
So you should be applying 50x7.2g of organic fertilizer

Thanks, I intend to put the poultry manure in a tied bagco bag and lower it into the pond and leave it in for 10 days before I stock my fries. From the calculation above I will be adding 360g of dried poultry manure into the bag and lower it into a pondOf approximately 50cm to 70cm depth of water.

Do you think this quantity is enough to adequately fertilze my pond and give it the fresh greenish colour within 10 days? Or should I increase the quality to 2kg since it is not thrown directly into the water?

Because some farmers I know just throw the poultry manure directly into the pond without putting it into a bag, but I think this method will easily polute the water faster.

Also another question is, if I fertilize the pond how often do I need to change the water in the concrete pond to siphon out dirt or do I not need to change the water at all.

Please advice.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Beltway8: 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
Beltway8:
Good morning esteemed entrepreneurs,
I am humbly coming to you because i am having an issue when trying to calculate the cost of raising 1000 fingerlings to table size, so that i can plan my entry into this business properly. I have this calculation as of now based on my research but it seems pricey. My per unit cost of raising one fish to table-size comes out to 572 naira per and that is not enticing at all. Please can anyone pick apart my calculations and enlighten me as to the error of my ways. All constructive criticism is welcomed.

USING FCR 1.2:1
1000...1200KG
1 FISH NEEDS 1.2KG
TO GET 1000 FISH TO 300 GRAMS ON IMPORTED FEED
1 FISH TO 300 GRAMS IN TWO MONTHS 300*1.2---360
300GRAMS * 1000 FISH -- 360 KG
IMPORTED FEED IS 15KG/ BAG
360KG/15---24 BAGS
24 BAGS OF IMPORTED FEED @ 9700 PER BAG ---232,800

TO GET 1000 FISH TO 700 GRAMS
1 FISH TO 700 GRAMS IN 4 MONTHS 700*1.2---840
840GRAMS * 1000 FISH -- 840KG
LOCAL FEED 50KG/BAG
840KG/50 --16.8 BAGS (17)
17 BAGS OF LOCAL FEED @ 20K PER BAG -- 340,000

340,000+ 232,800 --- 572,800?

Is there anyone who can assist me with this?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by laurel03(m): 2:12am On Sep 11, 2016
chilanfarms:
TO FEED THEM FOR 4MONTHS BUDGET 300 PER FISH HAVING @ THE BACK OF YOUR MIND THAT YOU WILL ONLY USE VERY FEW BAGS OF IMPORTED FEED JUST FOR THE FIRST MONTH. 2-4MONTH WILL BE LOCAL. FOR MORE DETAILS CHAT ME ON 07065874135. THE CHEAPEST FEED NOW IS 7500
pls which feed is good in ibadan 4 now for juvenile
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 11:25am On Sep 11, 2016
MAAF:

Thanks, I intend to put the poultry manure in a tied bagco bag and lower it into the pond and leave it in for 10 days before I stock my fries. From the calculation above I will be adding 360g of dried poultry manure into the bag and lower it into a pondOf approximately 50cm to 70cm depth of water.

Do you think this quantity is enough to adequately fertilze my pond and give it the fresh greenish colour within 10 days? Or should I increase the quality to 2kg since it is not thrown directly into the water?

Because some farmers I know just throw the poultry manure directly into the pond without putting it into a bag, but I think this method will easily polute the water faster.

Also another question is, if I fertilize the pond how often do I need to change the water in the concrete pond to siphon out dirt or do I not need to change the water at all.

Please advice.

Sure it will. It is the recommended quantity. However, a little above will not harm. It is meant to add microorganisms to the pond that your fries will feed on. You can either broadcast it like the other farmers are doing or put it in a bag. You will need to change your water every 3 days.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by igchuks: 11:28am On Sep 11, 2016
@Excelsoir sure he did. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MAAF: 11:34am On Sep 11, 2016
igchuks:

Sure it will. It is the recommended quantity. However, a little above will not harm. It is meant to add microorganisms to the pond that your fries will feed on. You can either broadcast it like the other farmers are doing or put it in a bag. You will need to change your water every 3 days.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
igchuks:
@Excelsoir sure he did. Thanks
Thank God
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Star30: 4:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
seen,your seller should have given you 2-3% of the stock bought. Its well.

All the best
Sorry to bother you sir, pls sir help me with the chemical name used in liming an earthen pond(is it gamarlin 20?) and what quantity will be enough to lime 20ft by 30ft and 5ft deep earthen pond

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.