Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,442 members, 7,861,266 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:25 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1507619 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 12:37pm On Aug 26, 2013
Hello house,I have been out for a while like I said due to work.. I have really missed a lot.. Thanks to all of u who have kept the thread going..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 1:01pm On Aug 26, 2013
Let me share with you guys my experience of the farm I went to consult for at P.H..

When I got there I was short of words, the pond was built in the form of gutter and it was built all round the farm... I was amazed because I have never seen such type of pond style before..

One of the constrains of the pond type is that they spend money on fuel just to change water and also pumping in water..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2013
I enquired about how they managed the farm, and they explained they change the water once everyweek but the challange they have is that the fishes get sick most times resulting to the death of thousands...

Now because of this style of pond any bacteria,fungai or parasite present will surely spread round the entire pond and ultimately affect the fishes, unlike demacated concrete pond where its not entirely all the ponds that will be effected..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DBounty(m): 1:28pm On Aug 26, 2013
@excelsior, which 1z do u av. Pls can u get them across to m?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2013
robonski16: Let me share with you guys my experience of the farm I went to consult for at P.H..

When I got there I was short of words, the pond was built in the form of gutter and it was built all round the farm... I was amazed because I have never seen such type of pond style before..

One of the constrains of the pond type is that they spend money on fuel just to change water and also pumping in water..

I love the creativity in the way dpond was constructed. I guess it should be a mixed farming system (crop nd livestock) where d livestock (fish ) is constructed as boundary of the farm.

But they should try nd partition the pond to give room for sorting and cleaning of the pond during disease outbreak

I also think water can be drained out of the pond without the use of pump
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 2:15pm On Aug 26, 2013
@robonski
In a situation like this, how do we advice on quantity to stock
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
@robonski16, what i can delude is most likely this structure is a drainage system, after a while d owners begin to see fishes and decided to raise fishes in it(we use to have drainage systems like that when i was growing up in navy town). Concerning d sickness issue, i blieve u already profer solutions, i will recommend they shift d weeds back, clean it and try to release fresh water into the pond b4 d major change of h20
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
DBounty: @excelsior, which 1z do u av. Pls can u get them across to m?
as samshoz said d emanual aint free, poultry, snail, vegetables, pig & goat, fish, branding,cleaning & packaging
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
ayoola190:
I love the creativity in the way dpond was constructed. I guess it should be a mixed farming system (crop nd livestock) where d livestock (fish ) is constructed as boundary of the farm.

But they should try nd partition the pond to give room for sorting and cleaning of the pond during disease outbreak

I also think water can be drained out of the pond without the use of pump

The centre space of the rounded pond is used for snail.. And I don't think its functioning..

If u chech the second pix the pond is partitioned with the use of a framed wood type and iron net..

How can the water be drained without the use of pumping machine
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
ayoola190: @robonski
In a situation like this, how do we advice on quantity to stock

The space is not that wide enuf for fishes to swim..with the capacity they have it should contain 3000 fishes comfortably.. But they were overstocking the pond with almost 6k..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
excelsiorfarm: @robonski16, what i can delude is most likely this structure is a drainage system, after a while d owners begin to see fishes and decided to raise fishes in it(we use to have drainage systems like that when i was growing up in navy town). Concerning d sickness issue, i blieve u already profer solutions, i will recommend they shift d weeds back, clean it and try to release fresh water into the pond b4 d major change of h20

Mr excelsoir u wount believe The pond was not a gutter it was built as a fish pond, and I was wondering who gave them this idea for a pond..

About the sickness issue I have profer solutions for them..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2013
I asked for how long the farm has been in existence and they said three years plus now.. And unfortunately they have never made a dime as profit till date.. Due to management problems etc..

They buy the fingerlings from an agent of which they don't know where he brings them from..

I had told them about building a hatchery and some solid concrete ponds.. So construction has commenced already..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
robonski15:

Mr excelsoir u wount believe The pond was not a gutter it was built as a fish pond, and I was wondering who gave them this idea for a pond..

About the sickness issue I have profer solutions for them..

bros there are many consultant now, no be so, what any design that makes the inflow & outflow of water to be cumbersome, isnt economical, probably the creation or installation of a big gate vable at a certain point to release d water,though a little digging & channelling of a waste water to d desired empty site will be done
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 3:44pm On Aug 26, 2013
robonski15:

The centre space of the rounded pond is used for snail.. And I don't think its functioning..

If u chech the second pix the pond is partitioned with the use of a framed wood type and iron net..

How can the water be drained without the use of pumping machine
If the pond is partitioned, then the issue of disease affecting the whole fish is gone.

Abt draining of pond. From the way am viewing it, its like we still have enough space outside the pond (gutter). Let the bush be cleared to give room for a proper water drainage out of the pond.
The water can be drained out with the use of a pipe from the floor of the pond.
The pipe ll be in slant form for free movement of water.
This ll be done at each segment of the pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Manweysabi(m): 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2013
Good work, robonski15 cool

that pond na die! They should construct normal concrete pond!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 3:59pm On Aug 26, 2013
excelsiorfarm: bros there are many consultant now, no be so, what any design that makes the inflow & outflow of water to be cumbersome, isnt economical, probably the creation or installation of a big gate vable at a certain point to release d water,though a little digging & channelling of a waste water to d desired empty site will be done
I think this design is a good one for management of land. But feeding of the fishes ll be stressful
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2013
samshoz: Which drug is best for treating fish wound? Tetracycline, fish biotic?
Let sm1 answer this man

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by doubleportion: 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2013
robinski, i don't think they are ready for SERIOUS FISH FARMING BUSINESS, they are just catching fun!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 4:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
BETHSAIDAL NAIJA
INVITES YOU TO THE
ONE (1) DAY PRACTICAL TRAINING AND WORKSHOP
ON INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES
IN
FISH AND GRASSCUTTER FARMING

TRAINING OBJECTIVES:

To expose participants to the rudiments of grass-cutter/fish farming production and hatchery management
To acquaint participants with modern techniques in grass-cutter and fish farming
To equip the participants with financial and relevant knowledge of best practice in aquaculture and rodent farming.
To expose the participants to how to process, package and prepare export document for both catfish and grass-cutter
And many more…..

DATE: Every 4th Saturday of the months of May, June, July, August, September, October, November & December 2013.

VENUE: RCCG Shalom Chapel 20 Mohamed road Abule Egba. Oja Oba bus-stop Lagos

TIME: 10:00am prompt

FEE: N5,000.00

BENEFIT OF OUR WORKSHOP

# 3 Months free consultation

# Free manual on catfish and grass-cutter farming (Titled…A-Z of catfish and grass-cutter farming)

# Connection to our partner bank for startup loan at low interest rate (Micro-finance bank)

For further inquiries and reservation contact

The Chief Operating Officer

Bethsaidal Farms

45 itele road, otuye bus-stop adeleye aparadija

Ogun State. Tel 08028515745, 08167488947

Twitter:@bethsaidalnaija Facebook:Bethsaid
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:42pm On Aug 26, 2013
ayoola190:
If the pond is partitioned, then the issue of disease affecting the whole fish is gone.

Abt draining of pond. From the way am viewing it, its like we still have enough space outside the pond (gutter). Let the bush be cleared to give room for a proper water drainage out of the pond.
The water can be drained out with the use of a pipe from the floor of the pond.
The pipe ll be in slant form for free movement of water.
This ll be done at each segment of the pond

It would have been ok, but the pond is casted from top to buttom.. Its like 4 feet deep so I wonder how it would be broken from the basement
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
doubleportion: robinski, i don't think they are ready for SERIOUS FISH FARMING BUSINESS, they are just catching fun!

grin grin
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2013
Manweysabi: Good work, robonski15 cool

that pond na die! They should construct normal concrete pond!

That is what they are building presently..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:54pm On Aug 26, 2013
samshoz: Which drug is best for treating fish wound? Tetracycline, fish biotic?

ADMINISTER ASCORBIC POWDER!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by DBounty(m): 9:31pm On Aug 26, 2013
excelsiorfarm: as samshoz said d emanual aint free, poultry, snail, vegetables, pig & goat, fish, branding,cleaning & packaging
contact me on 08150762813 for talk on d manual .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 1:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
robonski15:

It would have been ok, but the pond is casted from top to buttom.. Its like 4 feet deep so I wonder how it would be broken from the basement
You can't, but can break it by the side to make a hole, on d top of basement(on d pond floor level). Pass a pipe through(to take water out) n seal it back wit cement, d pipe wil hav a tap(to release n lock water). Dats how i pass out water from my tampoulin pond. D water can be chanelled to wet plantd crops.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 2:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
DBounty: contact me on 08150762813 for talk on d manual .
Brov! U need his manual, u should be d one to call(numbr is under his signature/profile) and negotiate ain' it?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by samshoz(m): 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
robonski15:

ADMINISTER ASCORBIC POWDER!!!
Bro Shaka, i would find it at vet store huh?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2013
samshoz: Bro Shaka, i would find it at vet store huh?

Yeah
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
samshoz: Brov! U need his manual, u should be d one to call(numbr is under his signature/profile) and negotiate ain' it?

I was a bit confused I thought he wanted to market it for mr excelsoir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:31pm On Aug 27, 2013
ayoola190:
I think this design is a good one for management of land. But feeding of the fishes ll be stressful
the disadvantages of such a structure is more,concerning feeding, u can have 3 or more major spot sites to feed the fishes & u are good to go,about disadvantages, we dont need it,robonski is waking them to d reality of better ponds
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 3:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
@ robonski This is so amusing, i too am learnin frm my expenditure in fish farming. Most of us think that once we have only money we are good to go. And many of those consultants are afta their pockets nt after ur progress. Many dont even have a farm of theirs. Its nt every thing u learn by instructn bt also by experience its nt enough to buy manuals or read threads and u think u knw it all. The best advice is even if u have money understudy somebody who is practising inorder to gain mastery of d biz.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
samshoz: Brov! U need his manual, u should be d one to call(numbr is under his signature/profile) and negotiate ain' it?
bro thank you jare

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.