Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,421 members, 7,861,181 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:06 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1507581 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:19pm On Aug 28, 2013
excelsiorfarm: @all, the fact is recirculatory outweighs all system, no argument about that, lets focus on how people can do better in their respective pond system

I couldn't agree more.. We should learn how to be more productive irrespective of the pond system we use.. Some folks have failed in this two type of pond system.. We should endeavour to bring out the best in whatever system we use.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 12:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
excelsiorfarm: @all, the fact is recirculatory outweighs all system, no argument about that, lets focus on how people can do better in their respective pond system

I bet to disagree on that note. Flow through system is far better than any other system. Recirculatory system helps to manage water where water is not sufficient unlike flow through where there is constant water from time to time. It is a total mistake to conclude that a recirculatory system is better than a flow through system. It is less expensive to maintain perhaps it does not cost u a dine and ur fish will perform greatly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2013
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said on Tuesday that the Federal Government would soon place a total ban on the importation of fish and other aquatic consumables.

Adesina said this in Ado-Ekiti during the inauguration of the Special Growth Enhancement Support scheme for fisheries and the aquaculture value chain, according to the News Agency of Nigeria.

He, however, said that the ban would be imposed only if arrangements being put in place by the government to that effect worked as planned.

The minister, represented by the Federal Director of Fisheries, Mrs. Foluke Areola, said the country had no business importing fish, given its huge natural and renewable resources.

He said it was in view of this that the ministry was promoting increased fish production through the aquaculture value chain.

This is in pursuance of the goal of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government, he said

"The value chains are to create an enabling environment for increased and sustainable production of over one million tonnes of fish within the next four years, generate employment and pursue gradual reduction of fish imports," the minister said.

Adesina noted that the aquaculture value chain, under its four-year implementation plan, would increase the annual production of fingerlings in the country by 1.25 billion tonnes.

So my co fishpreneurs,lets hope the FG is serious this time around cos this is a very good news.Imagine a kilo of melaunge selling for 400-450 Naira?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lagbaja(m): 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2013
ab1x:

I bet to disagree on that note. Flow through system is far better than any other system. Recirculatory system helps to manage water where water is not sufficient unlike flow through where there is constant water from time to time. It is a total mistake to conclude that a recirculatory system is better than a flow through system. It is less expensive to maintain perhaps it does not cost u a dine and ur fish will perform greatly.

A flow through system has to be recirculatoryto be ok unless u have a freely flowing stream to use. That was probably why the one Robonski reported failed.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:29pm On Aug 28, 2013
ab1x:

i have no reason to question your judgment, but if indeed your conclusion is right,i guess the world over, that system will be the in thing,unfortunately it isnt. Learn from d major fishfarmers, none does flow thru, fishes in recirculatory ponds are healthy, the biofilter creates a great environ for growth and saves water.flow thru is a poor idea of recirculatory,from the v best in norway, to isreal , the world over, everyday they are improving on using less water to produce more fishes, durantee can be another eg which was once air on CNN
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
robonski15:

I couldn't agree more.. We should learn how to be more productive irrespective of the pond system we use.. Some folks have failed in this two type of pond system.. We should endeavour to bring out the best in whatever system we use.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 2:11pm On Aug 28, 2013
excelsiorfarm: i have no reason to question your judgment, but if indeed your conclusion is right,i guess the world over, that system will be the in thing,unfortunately it isnt. Learn from d major fishfarmers, none does flow thru, fishes in recirculatory ponds are healthy, the biofilter creates a great environ for growth and saves water.flow thru is a poor idea of recirculatory,from the v best in norway, to isreal , the world over, everyday they are improving on using less water to produce more fishes, durantee can be another eg which was once air on CNN

One of the major factor to consider is your environment. We are Africans and not european countries where their way of life is different from ours, where earth quake, volcano, ocean surge happens although technologically they are ahead of us. It is no doubt too that Africa is more blessed in terms of natural endowment. Most of the method u highlighted is put in place as a result of cost they incurred in getting water, payment of electricity bills and so on. Whereas, all of the above can be gotten freely. Catfish performs fine in earthen pond where you can make use of free flowing water and it does not cost you a dime to maintain. In a situation where your fish weigh btw 2.5 to 4KG without spending any money on powering any thing, then u sure should know that the method is indeed a very good method. It is entirely wrong to conclude that recirculatory system is better than flow through. It is wat you know better that you will talk about not generalizing please. Moreso, d essence of any method is to reduce cost, maximise profit, reduce stress.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
lagbaja:

A flow through system has to be recirculatoryto be ok unless u have a freely flowing stream to use. That was probably why the one Robonski reported failed.

Of course you have to consider other factors before you make conclusion. It is so fallacious in nature to generalise.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lagbaja(m): 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
It is obvious that you are refering to natural flow through systems. Either the ones with cages in rivers or streams. it is not every farmer that has access to free flowing streams. It is also not logistically conveneint to farm far away from where you live. You are also subjected to many security risks. It is diffcult to control predators in flow through systems. Recirculatory system is urban friendly. I have seen it done in a small room. Also, Yield is not measured in sizes of individual fishes, It is measured in total biomass over a given period of time. Recirculatory systems support high biomass density than natural flow thru systems. It is also difficult to control diseases in flow through systems unlike in RAS.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
ab1x:

One of the major factor to consider is your environment. We are Africans and not european countries where their way of life is different from ours, where earth quake, volcano, ocean surge happens although technologically they are ahead of us. It is no doubt too that Africa is more blessed in terms of natural endowment. Most of the method u highlighted is put in place as a result of cost they incurred in getting water, payment of electricity bills and so on. Whereas, all of the above can be gotten freely. Catfish performs fine in earthen pond where you can make use of free flowing water and it does not cost you a dime to maintain. In a situation where your fish weigh btw 2.5 to 4KG without spending any money on powering any thing, then u sure should know that the method is indeed a very good method. It is entirely wrong to conclude that recirculatory system is better than flow through. It is wat you know better that you will talk about not generalizing please. Moreso, d essence of any method is to reduce cost, maximise profit, reduce stress.

my bro, it isnt a contest of which prove my facts is ok, i can suggest u visit good recirculatory farm and ask they if at the point of harvest if d cost of fueling tells on their ROI, eg ajanla,durante is in naija, i know one in bodija,on barely half a plot, another in lagos around oke afa, byond saving water, u have lesser land use, u need not damage d environ etc, so d tech applies to naija if one can establish one, eg aside environ northerners get better harvest because they use improve seeds and know- how(talking from experience). Whatever system any man choose to use,just get the best & make profit

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
ab1x:

my bro, it isnt a contest of which prove my facts is ok, i can suggest u visit good recirculatory farm and ask them if at the point of harvest if d cost of fueling tells on their ROI, eg ajanla,durante is in naija, i know one in bodija,on barely half a plot, another in lagos around oke afa, byond saving water, u have lesser land use, u need not damage d environ etc, so d tech applies to naija if one can establish one, eg aside environ northerners get better harvest because they use improve seeds and know- how(talking from experience). Whatever system any man choose to use,just get the best & make profit

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
excelsiorfarm: my bro, it isnt a contest of which prove my facts is ok, i can suggest u visit good recirculatory farm and ask them if at the point of harvest if d cost of fueling tells on their ROI, eg ajanla,durante is in naija, i know one in bodija,on barely half a plot, another in lagos around oke afa, byond saving water, u have lesser land use, u need not damage d environ etc, so d tech applies to naija if one can establish one, eg aside environ northerners get better harvest because they use improve seeds and know- how(talking from experience). Whatever system any man choose to use,just get the best & make profit

In the heat of argument, facts are abound to crop out. My point is dont generalize or conclude that a system is the best. Ijebuland is no doubt the largest catfish base in the whole of West Africa, I stand to be corrected. There are whole lot of people here that use many method and they still make their profit and the main point is to minimise cost and maximise profit. With just concrete pond without the system u advised, a catfish can still do better.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:24pm On Aug 28, 2013
lagbaja: It is obvious that you are refering to natural flow through systems. Either the ones with cages in rivers or streams. it is not every farmer that has access to free flowing streams. It is also not logistically conveneint to farm far away from where you live. You are also subjected to many security risks. It is diffcult to control predators in flow through systems. Recirculatory system is urban friendly. I have seen it done in a small room. Also, Yield is not measured in sizes of individual fishes, It is measured in total biomass over a given period of time. Recirculatory systems support high biomass density than natural flow thru systems. It is also difficult to control diseases in flow through systems unlike in RAS.

It's my work and I know how to tackle all the problems listed above but the system is cheap when compare to other system. I've exam 2mao o, I would've love to profer solution to all the problems highlighted and also bring out the shortcomings of the method you are talking about but surely it is a topic for another day.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayoola190: 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
ab1x:

thats the point..helps to manage H2O nd reduce d frequent change of h2o
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by williams20(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
Good day farmers , ill like to appreciate Mr Robonski and others on this thread , pls ensure you research well about your fish source before you buy any fish from anyone - they might just be runts as I've been a victim and I've learnt in a hard way. I'm getting over it tho. And for those having problems with feed , I've been usingZeigler for about five weeks now and I must confess Its the Best , its.a perfect feed ivent recorded any deaths or casualties that is feed related . God bless Nairaland and everyone .
E.O.T William CBT

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
williams20: Good day farmers , ill like to appreciate Mr Robonski and others on this thread , pls ensure you research well about your fish source before you buy any fish from anyone - they might just be runts as I've been a victim and I've learnt in a hard way. I'm getting over it tho. And for those having problems with feed , I've been usingZeigler for about five weeks now and I must confess Its the Best , its.a perfect feed ivent recorded any deaths or casualties that is feed related . God bless Nairaland and everyone .
E.O.T William CBT

Thanks bro.. I have been emphasising about runts and its devastating effects on fish farming.. Once u make the mistake of buying runts, even if u use flow through or recirculatory system it will amount to nothing..

Zeigler gold has proven to be one of the best in the market till date..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OLISASDEJI(m): 7:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
@william and roboski,am in abuja.am a fish farmer.i av never set my eyes on ziegler feeds.wat am used to is coppens and multifeeds.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2013
OLISASDEJI: @william and roboski,am in abuja.am a fish farmer.i av never set my eyes on ziegler feeds.wat am used to is coppens and multifeeds.

Oh really!!! Coppens and multifeed are very popular..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mike58(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2013
Gud day to my Boss's in d house. Please I rilly nid help about d quatity of feed I should feed 3000 juveniles from first month till maturity. And please which mont do u refer to as maturity 5mont or BUT PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE THE QUANTITY OF FEED I SHOULD GIVE MY FISHES 3000fishes please help. And God bless you all for your wonderfull work you are doing here.
THANKS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lagbaja(m): 4:19am On Aug 30, 2013
Estimate their total body weight, give them about 6% of their body weight daily. (For example if your juveniles weigh about 10g on the average, and you have 3000 of them, then their total body weight is 30000g or 30kg. 6% of 30kg is 1.8kg). Afterwards, reduce the percentages as prescribed in the following manual. You can split the total meal to 3 times daily. Feed more at noon when temperature and dissolved oxygen are higher.Temperature impacts on feed rate. The higher the temperature, the more they feed.

If you are using non floating feed, do spot feeding to avoid wastages. If the water is clean and well oxygenated, it will encourage them to feed well. Excess feed will polute your water, reduce dissolved oxygen (DO) level, increase toxic ammonia level, cause diseases and kill your fishes. Find more details about the feed percentages here

http://www.coppens.eu/gallery/Engelse_brochures/2013/Voederprotocollen/fp_catco_en_2013mail.pdf
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 11:45am On Aug 30, 2013
Good day to all the gurus in the house, this iƨ̣̇ one of the best thread ve ever seen. God will surely bless you all for the good ω°rK here. Amen.
Please I need someone to give me the cost and size of concrete pond that can house 800 and 700 each from fingerlings to Grow Out/Table size. Also, Mr Ab1x said changing of feed iƨ̣̇ not good. I wanna ask that if you purchase juvenile and the seller used coppens. Can I feed them with ziegler.
Have a great day
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2013
TOKUGAWA: The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, said on Tuesday that the Federal Government would soon place a total ban on the importation of fish and other aquatic consumables.

Adesina said this in Ado-Ekiti during the inauguration of the Special Growth Enhancement Support scheme for fisheries and the aquaculture value chain, according to the News Agency of Nigeria.

He, however, said that the ban would be imposed only if arrangements being put in place by the government to that effect worked as planned.

The minister, represented by the Federal Director of Fisheries, Mrs. Foluke Areola, said the country had no business importing fish, given its huge natural and renewable resources.

He said it was in view of this that the ministry was promoting increased fish production through the aquaculture value chain.

This is in pursuance of the goal of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government, he said

"The value chains are to create an enabling environment for increased and sustainable production of over one million tonnes of fish within the next four years, generate employment and pursue gradual reduction of fish imports," the minister said.

Adesina noted that the aquaculture value chain, under its four-year implementation plan, would increase the annual production of fingerlings in the country by 1.25 billion tonnes.

So my co fishpreneurs,lets hope the FG is serious this time around cos this is a very good news.Imagine a kilo of melaunge selling for 400-450 Naira?

1) Is a kilo of melange to cheap or too expensive for N400-450?
2) i thought melange is catfish not up to 1kilo i.e. melange is catfish if abt 600g (0.6kilo), so why say a kilo of melange?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 12:36pm On Aug 30, 2013
Pros in the house, i washed one of my concrete ponds with brush abt 3 wks ago and since then it has refused to hold water. Any solution. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2013
Tosade01: Good day to all the gurus in the house, this iƨ̣̇ one of the best thread ve ever seen. God will surely bless you all for the good ω°rK here. Amen.
Please I need someone to give me the cost and size of concrete pond that can house 800 and 700 each from fingerlings to Grow Out/Table size. Also, Mr Ab1x said changing of feed iƨ̣̇ not good. I wanna ask that if you purchase juvenile and the seller used coppens. Can I feed them with ziegler.
Have a great day

A concrete pond of 8 by 8 feet and 8 by 7 feet can house 800 and 700 fishes from fingerlings to grow out respectively..

U can change feed but as ab1x advised that you treat the fishes first b4 changing feed..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 1:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
practicalclass:

1) Is a kilo of melange to cheap or too expensive for N400-450?
2) i thought melange is catfish not up to 1kilo i.e. melange is catfish if abt 600g (0.6kilo), so why say a kilo of melange?

1..A kilo of melange presently is #350 for catfish upto 500grms or 0.5 grms which is half a kilo.. Now if u raise ur melange upto 0.5 grms and sell at the rate of #350 is ok..

A kilo of table size is #480 in lagos, if u divide this amount it gives us #240 which is not up to the amount of the price of melange which is half of a kilo..

2. Melange is sold in kilos,if you add up the sum total of all the grms it will automatically be converted to kg..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 1:21pm On Aug 30, 2013
practicalclass: Pros in the house, i washed one of my concrete ponds with brush abt 3 wks ago and since then it has refused to hold water. Any solution. Thanks.

The pond was not properly plastered hence the leackage..from my experience With time it might coat back and the leakage will stop, but when you re-wash it starts to leak again..

Call a brickyaler to work on it when its empty..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
robonski16:

1..A kilo of melange presently is #350 for catfish upto 500grms or 0.5 grms which is half a kilo.. Now if u raise ur melange upto 0.5 grms and sell at the rate of #350 is ok..

A kilo of table size is #480 in lagos, if u divide this amount it gives us #240 which is not up to the amount of the price of melange which is half of a kilo..

2. Melange is sold in kilos,if you add up the sum total of all the grms it will automatically be converted to kg..

I see, so raising to melange is cheaper. Thanks for the insight.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 3:41pm On Aug 30, 2013
robonski16:

The pond was not properly plastered hence the leackage..from my experience With time it might coat back and the leakage will stop, but when you re-wash it starts to leak again..

Call a brickyaler to work on it when its empty..

Its getting it plastered well that is the issue so the same doesnt repeat itself. I mean what amount of sand should be mixed with cement so it can be tight and hold water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:22pm On Aug 30, 2013
also any pond for rent in ilorin should pls mail me on johnadegbola@gmail.com any one that av some one that have pond for rent in ilorin should pls mail me on johnadegbola4uall@gmail.com thks @robonski and abx u are doing great job here am interested in fish farming business av realised where things Are going doesn't encourage we d one that hasn't graduate so its better now for us to venture into agriculture business to me (àgbè loba) thks.. ur reply will be appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 4:27pm On Aug 30, 2013
practicalclass:

Its getting it plastered well that is the issue so the same doesnt repeat itself. I mean what amount of sand should be mixed with cement so it can be tight and hold water.

When next u want to wash a concrete pond, make use of a sack not brush. Brush will be washing away the cement in the pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 5:01pm On Aug 30, 2013
robonski16:

A concrete pond of 8 by 8 feet and 8 by 7 feet can house 800 and 700 fishes from fingerlings to grow out respectively..

U can change feed but as ab1x advised that you treat the fishes first b4 changing feed..

Thanks for the info.
Please how many grow out fish can an earthen pond of 12x10 house. Moreover, if am into melange, how many will 8 by 8 concrete pond house and what should be the depth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by practicalclass: 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2013
pls what happens if one understocks catfish in a pond

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.