Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1499779 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2017
robonski15:

17*8 will accomodate 900 to maturity 8*6 300 8*5 265
thank you and remain blessed sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amba2017: 8:01am On Dec 29, 2017
hello great farmers in the house, I noticed maggots inside 3mm and 4mm prime feed that I am using now. pls does it mean that the feed is no longer good? expiry date is 09--08-- 18
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 8:53am On Dec 29, 2017
robonski15:
Fish farming like other business has its prons and cons.. And truthfully its a very lucrative and yet a money draining business..

I have read articles about how lucrative the business is and how to invest and reap millions.. All I do is just to laugh on reading such article.. All they want is just for u to buy their manual and make money.. Surprisingly most of them don't have a farm of their own, they are computer farmers who don't have any experience whatsoever in the business..

I know of farms within my area who have shut down their farms due to frequent loss over the years.. I was also considering shutting down myself after I lost close to 2 million naira, yeah u heard me TWO MILLION NAIRA, but after diligent study which took about a year I decided to give it my last shot..

To be continued..

this is one of the best thread I have read on this forum, please write a recent one because it deserves the front-page.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 1:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
robonski15:

17*8 will accomodate 900 to maturity
8*6 300
8*5 265
please, I have just decided after reading some of your posts to build a concrete fish pond next year. it would be divided into two sections with each measuring approximately 6'*12' on the outside with 9" blocks. it would be approximately 4' high, I want to start in one pond and share them Into two when sorting.please how many fishes do you suggest I should buy.I hope I have not confused you with my explanation. thank you and remain blessed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 4:50pm On Dec 29, 2017
robonski15:

17*8 will accomodate 900 to maturity 8*6 300 8*5 265
how about 12*12
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2017
aragon4realz:

how about 12*12

900 sir.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:18pm On Dec 30, 2017
mgbadike81:
please, I have just decided after reading some of your posts to build a concrete fish pond next year. it would be divided into two sections with each measuring approximately 6'*12' on the outside with 9" blocks. it would be approximately 4' high, I want to start in one pond and share them Into two when sorting.please how many fishes do you suggest I should buy.I hope I have not confused you with my explanation. thank you and remain blessed.

Hello sir, you have done well.. i will advice you stock 800 total.. 400 in each pond after sorting.. Where are u located?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:19pm On Dec 30, 2017
amba2017:
hello great farmers in the house, I noticed maggots inside 3mm and 4mm prime feed that I am using now. pls does it mean that the feed is no longer good? expiry date is 09--08-- 18

I will advice you take the feed back to where you got it from, it could have been re branded..

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 5:12am On Dec 31, 2017
robonski15:

Hello sir, you have done well.. i will advice you stock 800 total.. 400 in each pond after sorting.. Where are u located?
thank you sir,the location is Onitsha.please,how much should I budget to feed them till maturity? thanks and remain blessed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ogbongenet: 2:12pm On Dec 31, 2017
I have chinease potatoes seeds for sale... Call 08060115253

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 8:04pm On Dec 31, 2017
I like this thread because it motivate and also prepare anybody who aspire to start fish farming. It also remove fear to start. May God bless everyone that has contributed to this thread. I will start my fish farm 2018 by special grace of God and will not fail. Thanks to robonski and others contributing to the success of this thread.
Happy new year in advance to you all.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 9:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
Good evening guyz.....First, i want to appreciate everyone that have contributed immensely to this great thread---You have impacted on alot of Nigerians with this selfless service and God will surely reward you in a bigger way.

Let me share my little experience on here as a learner. I stocked 100 Juvenile on September 2 2017 in a small pond of 5*5*3 being L*B*D and being a pilot project, i fed them with foreign feeds which i bought in KGs(i.e. 2kg or 3kg as the case maybe). This makes the cost of feeding to be higher than expected. After two month, precisely 66days, i changed to Blue crown feed (locally made by a coy related to Olam) and i harvested the stock today being 31 December 2017 after 120days. I only sold 42 Kg in total and consumed about 12kg. about 15 of the fish are below 300 grams as at today so i left them in the pond.
Sales-Cost gave me a profit of N2,170----I wont call this a profit because i did not depreciate the fixed asset and did not pay myself but i learnt alot...
The following were my mistakes
1) I bought the Juvenile at a very high price of N30
2) The first feed was sold to me by my supposed mentor (who sold d seed for me) at N1500/kg for 2mm skretting.
3) There were fingerlings that could not pick 2mm in the stock sold to me, had to buy 1.5mm after 3weeks of stocking.
4) I did not sort at all so there was alot of cannibalism. very much.
5) Another thing that contributed to cannibalism was underfeeding/not feeding timely (because i'm not always around to feed, my wife did 80% of the feeding)
6)The purchase of 1kg of feed instead of buying bags of feed.( E.g i bought 3mm aqualis for 600/kg while its 493/kg if you buy a bag)
7)There were times that we also overfeed thereby wasting feeds......

The fish were only sick once and that was when i changed their feed to Blue crown and did not changed their water for about 3days. I treated them with salt only and things went back to normal.

I already stocked another 500 fingerlings on November 5 and i have improved on all the points noted above except that i did not take note of the differences in size when i bought them. Now they are in 3 different ponds according to their sizes but i must tell you that they are doing really fine.

Thanks to Mr Robonski, Excelsior, Ab1x, OmoOshodi, Fhemmy, Ttalk and everyother great contributor and followers of this wonderful thread. God bless you all. The sky is our starting point in 2018 as greater testimonies await us all. Jah Bless

Happy new year in advance.

6 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:22am On Jan 01, 2018
Anybody into catfish exporting business here??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olusegunthomas(m): 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2018
bilag17:

For healthy, matured and high quality male and female catfish broodstocks,
how much is your female broodstock....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olusegunthomas(m): 6:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hello room I record 7 morality after sorting my fries today. I just want know what is likely problem........ Urgent respond pls cos am new in the game.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 6:35pm On Jan 01, 2018
robonski15:

Hello, there are different feeds with different prices...There is no 1.8 mm its only 1.5mm.. Coppens 1.5mm is #3200 for 5kg and 2mm sells for #5200..
Zeigler 2mm is #4500, while vital 2mm is #3900..
Note prices varies.

Concerning the average cost of feeding, I usually peg it down to #150 for each fish to maturity... 500 multiply by 150 = #75,000.. So u will need at least75k to take them all the way to maturity..No cut corners..prices can rise over time.. God bless
please chairman, what would you consider to be the average cost of feeding today from fingerlings to full maturity? you have really motivated me and I pray that the good Lord would bless you abundantly for it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 7:12pm On Jan 01, 2018
olusegunthomas:
how much is your female broodstock....
2,500 per kg.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
mgbadike81:
thank you sir,the location is Onitsha.please,how much should I budget to feed them till maturity? thanks and remain blessed.

Estimated Budget around #350 to #400 per fish
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:00am On Jan 02, 2018
Tosade01:
Good evening guyz.....First, i want to appreciate everyone that have contributed immensely to this great thread---You have impacted on alot of Nigerians with this selfless service and God will surely reward you in a bigger way.

Let me share my little experience on here as a learner. I stocked 100 Juvenile on September 2 2017 in a small pond of 5*5*3 being L*B*D and being a pilot project, i fed them with foreign feeds which i bought in KGs(i.e. 2kg or 3kg as the case maybe). This makes the cost of feeding to be higher than expected. After two month, precisely 66days, i changed to Blue crown feed (locally made by a coy related to Olam) and i harvested the stock today being 31 December 2017 after 120days. I only sold 42 Kg in total and consumed about 12kg. about 15 of the fish are below 300 grams as at today so i left them in the pond.
Sales-Cost gave me a profit of N2,170----I wont call this a profit because i did not depreciate the fixed asset and did not pay myself but i learnt alot...
The following were my mistakes
1) I bought the Juvenile at a very high price of N30
2) The first feed was sold to me by my supposed mentor (who sold d seed for me) at N1500/kg for 2mm skretting.
3) There were fingerlings that could not pick 2mm in the stock sold to me, had to buy 1.5mm after 3weeks of stocking.
4) I did not sort at all so there was alot of cannibalism. very much.
5) Another thing that contributed to cannibalism was underfeeding/not feeding timely (because i'm not always around to feed, my wife did 80% of the feeding)
6)The purchase of 1kg of feed instead of buying bags of feed.( E.g i bought 3mm aqualis for 600/kg while its 493/kg if you buy a bag)
7)There were times that we also overfeed thereby wasting feeds......

The fish were only sick once and that was when i changed their feed to Blue crown and did not changed their water for about 3days. I treated them with salt only and things went back to normal.

I already stocked another 500 fingerlings on November 5 and i have improved on all the points noted above except that i did not take note of the differences in size when i bought them. Now they are in 3 different ponds according to their sizes but i must tell you that they are doing really fine.

Thanks to Mr Robonski, Excelsior, Ab1x, OmoOshodi, Fhemmy, Ttalk and everyother great contributor and followers of this wonderful thread. God bless you all. The sky is our starting point in 2018 as greater testimonies await us all. Jah Bless

Happy new year in advance.

I must commend your effort so far, you rightly pin pointed all your lapses which you need to improve on this present batch.. Sort, feed well, Practice good water management, reduce cannibalism.

Keep us posted on your progress
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:11am On Jan 02, 2018
olusegunthomas:
Hello room I record 7 morality after sorting my fries today. I just want know what is likely problem........ Urgent respond pls cos am new in the game.

Probably due to sorting.. How did you sort the fries?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 12:19am On Jan 02, 2018
Quality Fingerlings and juveniles Available.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 4:08am On Jan 02, 2018
robonski15:

Estimated Budget around #350 to #400 per fish
thank you and remain blessed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tosade01(m): 9:12am On Jan 02, 2018
robonski15:

I must commend your effort so far, you rightly pin pointed all your lapses which you need to improve on this present batch.. Sort, feed well, Practice good water management, reduce cannibalism.

Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks boss. Sure, i will.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Hexilon: 11:07am On Jan 02, 2018
cool
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pastorasamu(m): 11:14am On Jan 02, 2018
Am A 100L Fisheries Student Of Oou,my Question Is

Can I Startup My Fish Farm In Some Yrs To Come As A Student because Am Studying In My Hometown

Atleast How Much Would Be Needed To Start A Small Fish Farm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pastorasamu(m): 11:19am On Jan 02, 2018
Also Do U Tink I Will Have Better Advantage Studying Fisheries

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mgbadike81: 6:55pm On Jan 02, 2018
robonski15:

It is better u understock than overstock... I raise a 1000 fish to maturity comfortably on a pond of 10 by 10..a pond of 20 by 20 will accomodate 2000 fishes, I don't get myself mixed up with calculations.. I once tried it and it was not funny..
actually, a 20 by 20 pond can be divided into 4 pieces of 10 by 10 ponds.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olusegunthomas(m): 7:31pm On Jan 02, 2018
robonski15:

Probably due to sorting.. How did you sort the fries?
I take sum of the biggest out of the rest..... Though they are not fries any longer, ijebu in size....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TobiMartinsA: 11:20pm On Jan 02, 2018
About 5,500 pieces of Melange catfish for sales around Lotto, Mowe, Ogun state at N600 per Kg. Kindly contact 080-60-20-3428 if interested or if you know anyone that buys in bulk. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:48am On Jan 03, 2018
olusegunthomas:
I take sum of the biggest out of the rest..... Though they are not fries any longer, ijebu in size....

Ok good
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:53am On Jan 03, 2018
pastorasamu:
Also Do U Tink I Will Have Better Advantage Studying Fisheries

Definitely... You can come up with different ideas not only in catfish but other species.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by TobiMartinsA: 12:35pm On Jan 03, 2018
Sir Robonski, please I sent you an email. Kindly assist.

(1) (2) (3) ... (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.