Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:35 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1504996 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2014
Tucoolz: i concure, with just 500 catfish i spent over 350000 to feed and those "eleja people came with thier charm and i sold at a terible loss it was when they have gone that i realised i have lost. even the mallams too can be very dubious, i carried my fish from my farm to meet them in arisekola market, we already agreed on the price but as soon as the fishes are out of water the price changes and u'll hav no option than to sell.

Are you for real? Na wa oh and please explain how you feed only 500 fishes with 350K Naira, except it was a type . . . . cos you telling us that you feed us with average cost of 700 Naira per fish. . . . which even without mama eleja, not sure of how and where the profit would have came.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by opes: 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2014
Tucoolz: i concure, with just 500 catfish i spent over 350000 to feed and those "eleja people came with thier charm and i sold at a terible loss it was when they have gone that i realised i have lost. even the mallams too can be very dubious, i carried my fish from my farm to meet them in arisekola market, we already agreed on the price but as soon as the fishes are out of water the price changes and u'll hav no option than to sell.
Damn,too much..maybe 2500 catfish..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:40pm On Jul 30, 2014

My Goodness!!!! i just hope the 500 catfish is a typo error.. About this so called "iya eleja" women when i spoke about the charms they use in their fiendish act, most people didn't believe..its so dis heartening!!! "Marketing" is one issue we need to tackle, it is unavoidable, getting your sales and marketing right is crucial to the success of any business. I know with time we will have dedicated fish buyers from our networks.

We have had quite a few dedicated buyers who contacted me from agricnetwork but only from 600grms downward "melange size" no matter the quantity but only within lagos and part of ogun state. Call or send me a mail if you want to harvest within that range.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
How important is fish premix in formulated feeds?
I see some formulars with as much as 1Kg premix per 100kg feed and others as little as 0.3gms and 0.1gms per 100kg. Wats d recommended quantity in 100kg feed?

Question 2: whats the recommended quantity of Lysine in 100kg formulated feed?

Will be glad to hear different opinions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sikicho: 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
Good day everybody. I must say this thread is the best I have ever come across on nairaland. I really appreciate and must commend the creative effort that Robonsky16 exhibited on this thread-congratulations sir. Also I appreciate :Ab1x, Excelsiorfarm, Mickyfish and all other members here so numerous to mention. May God continue to bless you.
I hope I am welcomed into this wonderful family. Thank you...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 8:24pm On Jul 30, 2014
sikicho: Good day everybody. I must say this thread is the best I have ever come across on nairaland. I really appreciate and must commend the creative effort that Robonsky16 exhibited on this thread-congratulations sir. Also I appreciate :Ab1x, Excelsiorfarm, Mickyfish and all other members here so numerous to mention. May God continue to bless you.
I hope I am welcomed into this wonderful family. Thank you...

You're welcome on board, sir/ma.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2014
Belexy: How important is fish premix in formulated feeds?
I see some formulars with as much as 1Kg premix per 100kg feed and others as little as 0.3gms and 0.1gms per 100kg. Wats d recommended quantity in 100kg feed?

Question 2: whats the recommended quantity of Lysine in 100kg formulated feed?

Will be glad to hear different opinions.

The quantities applied in 100KG does not have any side effect on your fish. The right quantity per 100KG is 1KG but you can reduce to 0.5 to reduce the cost of ur feed. 1KG is 700 naira. Lysine too worth 700 naira per KG. 1KG is not too much because that is what i used for a starter and as time goesby I ignore it to reduce cost of production.

I can make a starter without lysine or premix but the most important of them all is vitc, if u didnt add it to ur feed formula, it can make ur fish have crackhead which might result to sickness hitherto death.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by calistaodoh: 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
@Juve, pls can I have u contact so that, we could speak?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
ab1x:

The quantities applied in 100KG does not have any side effect on your fish. The right quantity per 100KG is 1KG but you can reduce to 0.5 to reduce the cost of ur feed. 1KG is 700 naira. Lysine too worth 700 naira per KG. 1KG is not too much because that is what i used for a starter and as time goesby I ignore it to reduce cost of production.

I can make a starter without lysine or premix but the most important of them all is vitc, if u didnt add it to ur feed formula, it can make ur fish have crackhead which might result to sickness hitherto death.

In summary, wat u are saying is dat as d fishes grow i can safely do wtout premix and lysine in their feed?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Francivonne(f): 11:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
I greet you all noble and hard working farmers. I've followed this forum silently for some time now, and I've benefited a lot from you all. Right now however, I'm faced with a big challenge. Pls, I'll appreciate all the help I can get from those who are more experienced in this matter. You see, I just dug my earthen ponds but I'm not about how to fertilize them and start using them. I read about the chicken dung and I got those today. My question now is "what next" pls I need your help.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 30, 2014
calistaodoh: @Juve, pls can I have u contact so that, we could speak?
Sure, 08022557145.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 30, 2014
Francivonne: I greet you all noble and hard working farmers. I've followed this forum silently for some time now, and I've benefited a lot from you all. Right now however, I'm faced with a big challenge. Pls, I'll appreciate all the help I can get from those who are more experienced in this matter. You see, I just dug my earthen ponds but I'm not about how to fertilize them and start using them. I read about the chicken dung and I got those today. My question now is "what next" pls I need your help.
@Francivonne, you should be more concern about treating the pond, to be honest fertilizing earthen pond with poultry droppings can be kinda trickery. Abeg were is your Location, maybe a member of the house might be close to help with the whole process. Unless u insist to do it urself. Tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 1:14am On Jul 31, 2014
Belexy:

In summary, wat u are saying is dat as d fishes grow i can safely do wtout premix and lysine in their feed?

Yes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by retin01: 1:21am On Jul 31, 2014
robonski15:

My Goodness!!!! i just hope the 500 catfish is a typo error.. About this so called "iya eleja" women when i spoke about the charms they use in their fiendish act, most people didn't believe..its so dis heartening!!! "Marketing" is one issue we need to tackle, it is unavoidable, getting your sales and marketing right is crucial to the success of any business. I know with time we will have dedicated fish buyers from our networks.

We have had quite a few dedicated buyers who contacted me from agricnetwork but only from 600grms downward "melange size" no matter the quantity but only within lagos and part of ogun state. Call or send me a mail if you want to harvest within that range.

www.agricnetwork.com
my Oga inthe house the kiln and d aerator is ready but I will b going to somebody farm by next week to test d aerator in d vat. D kiln uses gas and charcoal ,and electricity to power d turbine. With time I will go 4double door kiln. NB Catfish smoking business is a booming industry recently but must of them are not properly processed. Majority of the smoke catfish in the local market are processed using ovens with firewood or sawdust which exposes the fish to a lot of smoke containing carcinogenic material called Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). These substances can cause cancer in the long run for whoever is eating food materials exposed to them. This is one major reason why most of the smoked catfish produced locally can not be allowed to pass the US and UK border when one is doing a formal exportation ( watch-out for the next post to read about formal and information exportation) Apart from the fact that one can not export any fish containing high PAH, it is also very stressful and unhealthy for the person processing the fish. Considering the fact a lot of educated people are going into farming business and many of them that are fish farmers prefers to add value to their harvest rather than sell it to the market woman that end up pricing your harvest below cost of production. One of the few ways of adding value and making more profit from catfish harvest is by smoking and smoking should be done in the proper way using ovens that exposes the fish to zero or minimum PAH. This can only be achieve by smoking your fish with charcoal, gas or electricity.
Both gas and electricity expose your fish to almost zero PAHs why charcoal exposes the fish to minimum and neglige-able PAHs

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by retin01: 1:27am On Jul 31, 2014
retin01: my Oga inthe house the kiln and d aerator is ready but I will b going to somebody farm by next week to test d aerator in d vat. D kiln uses gas and charcoal ,and electricity to power d turbine. With time I will go 4double door kiln. NB Catfish smoking business is a booming industry recently but must of them are not properly processed. Majority of the smoke catfish in the local market are processed using ovens with firewood or sawdust which exposes the fish to a lot of smoke containing carcinogenic material called Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). These substances can cause cancer in the long run for whoever is eating food materials exposed to them. This is one major reason why most of the smoked catfish produced locally can not be allowed to pass the US and UK border when one is doing a formal exportation ( watch-out for the next post to read about formal and information exportation) Apart from the fact that one can not export any fish containing high PAH, it is also very stressful and unhealthy for the person processing the fish. Considering the fact a lot of educated people are going into farming business and many of them that are fish farmers prefers to add value to their harvest rather than sell it to the market woman that end up pricing your harvest below cost of production. One of the few ways of adding value and making more profit from catfish harvest is by smoking and smoking should be done in the proper way using ovens that exposes the fish to zero or minimum PAH. This can only be achieve by smoking your fish with charcoal, gas or electricity.
Both gas and electricity expose your fish to almost zero PAHs why charcoal exposes the fish to minimum and neglige-able PAHs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:22am On Jul 31, 2014
retin01: my Oga inthe house the kiln and d aerator is ready but I will b going to somebody farm by next week to test d aerator in d vat. D kiln uses gas and charcoal ,and electricity to power d turbine. With time I will go 4double door kiln. NB Catfish smoking business is a booming industry recently but must of them are not properly processed. Majority of the smoke catfish in the local market are processed using ovens with firewood or sawdust which exposes the fish to a lot of smoke containing carcinogenic material called Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH). These substances can cause cancer in the long run for whoever is eating food materials exposed to them. This is one major reason why most of the smoked catfish produced locally can not be allowed to pass the US and UK border when one is doing a formal exportation ( watch-out for the next post to read about formal and information exportation) Apart from the fact that one can not export any fish containing high PAH, it is also very stressful and unhealthy for the person processing the fish. Considering the fact a lot of educated people are going into farming business and many of them that are fish farmers prefers to add value to their harvest rather than sell it to the market woman that end up pricing your harvest below cost of production. One of the few ways of adding value and making more profit from catfish harvest is by smoking and smoking should be done in the proper way using ovens that exposes the fish to zero or minimum PAH. This can only be achieve by smoking your fish with charcoal, gas or electricity.

My bro i must commend your effort so far on this project this is wonderful.. This customized smoking kiln is a good means of adding value like u said. we should be looking at adding value to our product by smoking, filleting to sell either locally or internationally. overall packaged product sell more but the challenges are high and so are the rewards if the challenges are met. we should see beyond just selling to the market women and look at other alternatives in selling our product with higher returns.. @Retin01 have u fixed a price yet for the kiln and aerator? Pls do get in touch with me ASAP.

www.agricnetwork.com

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 5:23am On Jul 31, 2014
@retin01, nice job u av done there. I hope the price will not be a killer wink
Are u in Lagos?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:51am On Jul 31, 2014
your 350k, u mean u spent that lump for 500, whats your fish weight? Over 3kg each,are u d one buying & feeding?, the best way to treat those u claim uses charm in future is to treat them with wisdom, if u have even 200kg of fish to sell, just go to at least 3 distant different spot to bring your buyers(u have broken monopoly already,because their will be rivalry), u dont allow them to your ponds, u make them seat at a place, your boys(workers/contract) do all d job(u have eliminated their scheme because u are in control of your biz), u can choose to harvest a few sample & take it to them to see(after all their touch with assessment,if they decide not to buy, simple take your fishes back, but do not introduce it back into d pond with d rest of your fishes) i.e have a tank to keep such samples(reason is to quarantine any spread of induce diseases/death as a result of maybe man made act). Most importantly, on d day of such major decision, pray & take charge of your environ,other subjects must bow.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 8:11am On Jul 31, 2014

Good job bro!

I was in Osaretin's lab before NL crashed/data loss but have reserved my comment until now. The guy is simply amazing. He does so many things apart from kiln and aerator.

He is based in Benin City, Edo state. I indulge every farmer in this forum and farmers around Edo/Delta statees to patronize him. Meanwhile I will take the lead as I'm in dire need of one immediately

Retin, this is an opportunity for you to explode.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sikicho: 9:33am On Jul 31, 2014
Good morning house, please I need your advice on this: I got a piece of land in Ibadan which I intend to construct 2 small earthen ponds for a start, but no stream/river nearby. Can I dig a well as a source of water? Can the capacity of a well supply an earthen pond? Thanks in advance.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Adeyemiopemipo(m): 9:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
I think fish farming is beautiful. It's one thing my parents are involved in and i can tell. It's very beautiful and has been instrumental for me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Francivonne(f): 10:16pm On Jul 31, 2014
JuveFarms:
@Francivonne, you should be more concern about treating the pond, to be honest fertilizing earthen pond with poultry droppings can be kinda trickery. Abeg were is your Location, maybe a member of the house might be close to help with the whole process. Unless u insist to do it urself. Tnx
@juveFarms, please, how do I treat the pond? I am really ignorant about earthen ponds. What should I use to treat the ponds.? I really don't mind the help from an experienced person, it's just that my farm is not in the West. It is in Port Harcourt.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by retin01: 11:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
robonski15:

My bro i must commend your effort so far on this project this is wonderful.. This customized smoking kiln is a good means of adding value like u said. we should be looking at adding value to our product by smoking, filleting to sell either locally or internationally. overall packaged product sell more but the challenges are high and so are the rewards if the challenges are met. we should see beyond just selling to the market women and look at other alternatives in selling our product with higher returns.. @Retin01 have u fixed a price yet for the kiln and aerator? Pls do get in touch with me ASAP.

www.agricnetwork.com
tank u pple 4 d complement .The price is just #60,000, but I will sell 2any nairalander 4just #50,000.An in Edo state ,Benin city ,08054154586
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 2:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
Amazing....so someone would read this write-up and would be impress that you have done a great job not knowing you have no clue of what you are talking about. You stole this from bethsaidal.com from the topic "types of smoking ovens (avoiding PAH) and can not even afford to put it in your own words. You are still planing on going back there to still information about export yet you have never exportated anything and you didn't even make reference to the website. You are pathetic and should be sued for intellectual theft though the informations out there are free but they are discovered from years of research and hardworking....I won't comment on that your oven but I don't see how that will smoke and prevent PAH....#goodluck

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
sikicho: Good morning house, please I need your advice on this: I got a piece of land in Ibadan which I intend to construct 2 small earthen ponds for a start, but no stream/river nearby. Can I dig a well as a source of water? Can the capacity of a well supply an earthen pond? Thanks in advance.
hmmmm well cannot service earthen pond in dry area, soil type is crucial
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
Etranshub: Amazing....so someone would read this write-up and would be impress that you have done a great job not knowing you have no clue of what you are talking about. You stole this from bethsaidal.com from the topic "types of smoking ovens (avoiding PAH) and can not even afford to put it in your own words. You are still planing on going back there to still information about export yet you have never exportated anything and you didn't even make reference to the website. You are pathetic and should be sued for intellectual theft though the informations out there are free but they are discovered from years of research and hardworking....I won't comment on that your oven but I don't see how that will smoke and prevent PAH....#goodluck
d site no open
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sudarnge: 6:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
robonski15:

This is also what i have observed years back, it was this same light brown fishes that also changed my failure to success in fish farming. I bough some set they were all the same light brown and within 4 months i could see my money swimming in my pond grin.
well i dont know why they tend to grow faster its just something i observed and i sticked to it..

pls all the great teachers in the house, what is the benefit of using livestovit for fish,i didnt see any indication on it for fish can it actually be used for fish? If yes how is it used .pls respons needed tanx to u all.
www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
excelsiorfarm: d site no open
WWW.bethsaidal.com or WWW.bethsaidal..com any of the two will surely open
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:49pm On Aug 01, 2014
Etranshub: WWW.bethsaidal.com or WWW.bethsaidal..com any of the two will surely open
bro i still tried, but yet to open. Concerning what u wrote previously, i guess we are here to guide & encourage others or intending catfish farmers and its other related businesses, d guy had tried to build an oven(he can improve),to even attempt an aerator,hmmmm commendable, for what u said he copied, i personally know about d details sir & i blieve possibly some or a few other will/should; cant speak for him, but next time he should write culled from so so website or blog(though i have not verify d claim,will try again). Many giant news site/magazine also cull info,though they put in where d info originate from. U can share relevant info here, many people visit nairaland, put your site in your post, God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 8:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
Adeyemiopemipo: I think fish farming is beautiful. It's one thing my parents are involved in and i can tell. It's very beautiful and has been instrumental for me
U can say that again!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
Etranshub: Amazing....so someone would read this write-up and would be impress that you have done a great job not knowing you have no clue of what you are talking about. You stole this from bethsaidal.com from the topic "types of smoking ovens (avoiding PAH) and can not even afford to put it in your own words. You are still planing on going back there to still information about export yet you have never exportated anything and you didn't even make reference to the website. You are pathetic and should be sued for intellectual theft though the informations out there are free but they are discovered from years of research and hardworking....I won't comment on that your oven but I don't see how that will smoke and prevent PAH....#goodluck

why calling the man pathetic? The only mistake he made was not adding a reference.
info are free on the internet and he brought out an article to expand on his project
We should encourage the guy with his project at least he has something to show for it and with time he will improve on it.
I cant even access the batsaida.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sweetpickles: 8:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
excelsiorfarm: bro i still tried, but yet to open. Concerning what u wrote previously, i guess we are here to guide & encourage others or intending catfish farmers and its other related businesses, d guy had tried to build an oven(he can improve),to even attempt an aerator,hmmmm commendable, for what u said he copied, i personally know about d details sir & i blieve possibly some or a few other will/should; cant speak for him, but next time he should write culled from so so website or blog(though i have not verify d claim,will try again). Many giant news site/magazine also cull info,though they put in where d info originate from. U can share relevant info here, many people visit nairaland, put your site in your post, God bless
Shikena!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.