Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,832 members, 7,851,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:38 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1505230 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drollster(m): 8:18pm On Aug 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: THANK GOD

please what's the unit of measurement? feet and inches?

Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drollster(m): 8:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: THANK GOD
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 8:36pm On Aug 03, 2014
tobbyte: oga belexy na how much b d tank last

25K bro
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2014
drollster:

please what's the unit of measurement? feet and inches?

Thanks.
feet
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: my friend, i know we all see things differently & i also ask questions alot, i personally dont get carried with post. I sympathise on your dad's lost, whatever he lost can be recoup even in this biz, if d right info or guide is in place, for this too, we/I be willing to assist. You said daddy only made 26k i.e. Just less than 50kg of fishes, with d number of fishes stocked & feeds invested, i dont see d possibility of that happening. That aside where do u want to start from, u have your water & ponds, hence u get fingerlings/juveniles to start, u let us know your available fund(u are not giving anybody), we/i advise only

Very possible. ... happened to me and my wife too, stocked over 10, 000 fishes and at sales, they made less than 40k and some has to go to labor at harveat and the rest. ... but u ave to trist the business and willing to learn frombpast mistake and move on in the business.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:38pm On Aug 03, 2014
Fhemmmy:

Very possible. ... happened to me and my wife too, stocked over 10, 000 fishes and at sales, they made less than 40k and some has to go to labor at harveat and the rest. ... but u ave to trist the business and willing to learn frombpast mistake and move on in the business.
10000 fishes, remember we spoke b4, lost can be made and even d margin can be wide, now reality- lets assume 3500 survived(GOD FORBID), lets assume they are v bad seed & they were fed, at harvest weighed 100g each i.e. 350kg(lets assume it was sold for 260 naira per kg), possible d hand on farm lied, wasnt buying d feed, theft, here aim talking on output in weight in relation to pricing. NOTE- you cannot be feeding 3500 fishes as u should be feeding, with good feed & d right quantity and they are eating all d feed(not wasted) over 4-6 months, depending on d fish seed grade u brought(fingerlings/juveniles) and get 50kg(no matter how bad seed is) i.e less than 20g per fish, if u aint on ground, calculation of event/happening can be doctored with d parameters given, i expect other guru/professionals to validate how a fish feeds adequately for that gestation & weight 20g(even if runt), pls weigh 20g on scale before u come to post

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 11:22pm On Aug 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: 10000 fishes, remember we spoke b4, lost can be made and even d margin can be wide, now reality- lets assume 3500 survived(GOD FORBID), lets assume they are v bad seed & they were fed, at harvest weighed 100g each i.e. 350kg(lets assume it was sold for 260 naira per kg), possible d hand on farm lied, wasnt buying d feed, theft, here aim talking on output in weight in relation to pricing. NOTE- you cannot be feeding 3500 fishes as u should be feeding, with good feed & d right quantity and they are eating all d feed(not wasted) over 4-6 months, depending on d fish seed grade u brought(fingerlings/juveniles) and get 50kg(no matter how bad seed is) i.e less than 20g per fish, if u aint on ground, calculation of event/happening can be doctored with d parameters given, i expect other guru/professionals to validate how a fish feeds adequately for that gestation & weight 20g(even if runt), pls weigh 20g on scale before u come to post

Chairman, in my case, I am sure of human effect in my case.... so you are more than right.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 11:34pm On Aug 03, 2014
excelsiorfarm: 10000 fishes, remember we spoke b4, lost can be made and even d margin can be wide, now reality- lets assume 3500 survived(GOD FORBID), lets assume they are v bad seed & they were fed, at harvest weighed 100g each i.e. 350kg(lets assume it was sold for 260 naira per kg), possible d hand on farm lied, wasnt buying d feed, theft, here aim talking on output in weight in relation to pricing. NOTE- you cannot be feeding 3500 fishes as u should be feeding, with good feed & d right quantity and they are eating all d feed(not wasted) over 4-6 months, depending on d fish seed grade u brought(fingerlings/juveniles) and get 50kg(no matter how bad seed is) i.e less than 20g per fish, if u aint on ground, calculation of event/happening can be doctored with d parameters given, i expect other guru/professionals to validate how a fish feeds adequately for that gestation & weight 20g(even if runt), pls weigh 20g on scale before u come to post

Well i dnt knw d full details behind d 10000fishes but I tink i agree with u. I dnt see how 10000 fishes no matter how poorly managed will raise just 40K shocked. Unless the bulk of d fishes died or the person dat made sales didnt disclose the full amount to u.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 2:17am On Aug 04, 2014
Belexy:

Well i dnt knw d full details behind d 10000fishes but I tink i agree with u. I dnt see how 10000 fishes no matter how poorly managed will raise just 40K shocked. Unless the bulk of d fishes died or the person dat made sales didnt disclose the full amount to u.

My brother, that is the mystery behind it all, but the man in charge rented a bigger apartment afterwards, got married and start living larger on a 50K Naira salary according to him, but it is all good, cos God is always the judge
These are few of the reasons why i ask so many question now and making sure i do stuff and business with the right people and not jump into things like i used to do all in the name of doing the math and sounds so good to my ears, i now make sure it sounds good to my innner minds too

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:34am On Aug 04, 2014
Fhemmmy:

My brother, that is the mystery behind it all, but the man in charge rented a bigger apartment afterwards, got married and start living larger on a 50K Naira salary according to him, but it is all good, cos God is always the judge
These are few of the reasons why i ask so many question now and making sure i do stuff and business with the right people and not jump into things like i used to do all in the name of doing the math and sounds so good to my ears, i now make sure it sounds good to my innner minds too
u had made a man out of a boy, got him married,good work

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:41am On Aug 04, 2014
Belexy:

d story/testimony is fhemmmy's own, he sponsored a project. Unfortunately went bad, gives naija bad name, I would rather not go into partnership, but a loan(if reasonable) is better option, so before any man go into d biz,have d insight, start small/reasonably & grow your farm, dont go borrowing, raise funds from close people rather, create an exit plan i.e if u plan to raise to 1kg, if funds run out at 400g, sell or smoke & package your fishes, dont kill yourself on looking for cash

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: u had made a man out of a boy, got him married,good work
cry cry
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: d story/testimony is fhemmmy's own, he sponsored a project. Unfortunately went bad, gives naija bad name, I would rather not go into partnership, but a loan(if reasonable) is better option, so before any man go into d biz,have d insight, start small/reasonably & grow your farm, dont go borrowing, raise funds from close people rather, create an exit plan i.e if u plan to raise to 1kg, if funds run out at 400g, sell or smoke & package your fishes, dont kill yourself on looking for cash

I am sure lessons has been learnt
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, in my case, I am sure of human effect in my case.... so you are more than right.

Oga fheeemy i dey beef you o tongue

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by maaji: 1:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Thanks guys for all your effort. Please like dat guy from nassarawa that drops his number, I appreciate it. Pls I will like to get ur numbers of you guys that have fish ponds. Pls I don't mind let me buy credit and talk well. E favour me pass. Thanks to all of you..... Fpeeemy I will also like to speak to u pls. Eveery one here dat has a fish farm that is willing to assist me. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drollster(m): 1:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: feet

Thank you. So for my concrete ponds, do I use British or US litres ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 2:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
robonski15:

Oga fheeemy i dey beef you o tongue

www.agricnetwork.com

That made the 2 of us, i am beefing you more than you can imagine . . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: u had made a man out of a boy, got him married,good work

Hahaha
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 2:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: d story/testimony is fhemmmy's own, he sponsored a project. Unfortunately went bad, gives naija bad name, I would rather not go into partnership, but a loan(if reasonable) is better option, so before any man go into d biz,have d insight, start small/reasonably & grow your farm, dont go borrowing, raise funds from close people rather, create an exit plan i.e if u plan to raise to 1kg, if funds run out at 400g, sell or smoke & package your fishes, dont kill yourself on looking for cash

Wise saying.

He that has ears let him hear.

Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2014

I told somebody that in fish farming you hardly lose as long as your fish get up to 300g; cos at that weight even if you can't smoke, you can sell as melange and still make profit.

Its not do or die if you run out of cash.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fhemmmy:

That made the 2 of us, i am beefing you more than you can imagine . . . .

If my Oga dey beef me wahala don dey be that o.. Abeg lets have a chat on phone

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
mozek24:

I told somebody that in fish farming you hardly lose as long as your fish get up to 300g; cos at that weight even if you can't smoke, you can sell as melange and still make profit.

Oga mozek, its not in all cases.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by maaji: 2:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
Tbagwell1:
Sorry about your dad's loss, I have a farm in Lafia, opp National open university jos road, call me on 08067929953.
thankks. Oga I dialed ur number it says number does not exist. Can u repost it. I will need to speak with you thanksss. U can flash me on my number too
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
drollster:

Thank you. So for my concrete ponds, do I use British or US litres ?
i suggest US, more room for your fishes
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kelvin1191(m): 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
maaji: thankks. Oga I dialed ur number it says number does not exist. Can u repost it. I will need to speak with you thanksss. U can flash me on my number too
call again. Thats the real number. Maybe network failure.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by drollster(m): 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
excelsiorfarm: i suggest US, more room for your fishes
Thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
drollster:
Thank you.
Thank God
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
mozek24:

300g The loss will be so massive by the time u consider all the running costs
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fhemmmy:

Now i understand why u made so little frm such a huge investment. its quite sad dat some pple just dnt av conscience.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
Belexy:

300g The loss will be so massive by the time u consider all the running costs
possibly what he is saying is if u can raise your fishes to 300g u can sell, not necessary that u must raise your fishes to table size or 5kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 12:04am On Aug 05, 2014
excelsiorfarm: possibly what he is saying is if u can raise your fishes to 300g u can sell, not necessary that u must raise your fishes to table size or 5kg

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 05, 2014
Belexy:

Where can someone get it to buy in Lagos?
@Belexy, No idea cos am in Abuja. Tnx

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.