Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream (21735 Views)

How To Confirm US Lottery Visa. / African Migrants Abandon The American Dream / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ugosample: It's so sad! That's what happens when one doesn't plan! It's not a crime to emigrate but one must make a comprehensive plan when doing so.
that u must have a plan first
i think d us suppose to have job for people who win d dv
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Fadelex(m): 6:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
it's not as if it's so bad here... imagine paying $1,000 per months for house rent for just 2 bedroom flat. how can I leave my job (I'm lucky to have it), my profession, my family and bright future here in Nigeria to go and meet uncertainty in America, where I will be followed cuz of d colour of my skin, where I won't have freedom.

it's not always greener at the other side. may God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladyflavour(f): 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2013
plan or no plan, if luck smile on u then carry go....its nt by power.....

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by tpia5: 6:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
hmm!

anyway. . . . . .
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Hwy95: 6:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
Here lies the problem
But without any assistance, family or guidance in a new country, many find themselves unprepared to start their lives from scratch.

No one should go anywhere without doing some pertinent research.

America or the rest of the World is not how as good as it used to be many years ago.

Every Country has it's challenges some much more than others. Because of the constant threat from Al Queda / Terrorism many things have changed in the Western World.

However America is still the land of opportunity with so many positives that completely out weigh the negatives.

You do not have to be rich, privileged or connected to have a reasonably good life in the USA.

Where did the following Face book, Linked In, Ups, Fedex, IpAD, IPhone, Google, Yahoo, Gmail, Black Berry, Movies, Fashion , Music etc, etc originate ?

4 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by soulglo: 6:33pm On Nov 12, 2013
b1327: that u must have a plan first
i think d us suppose to have job for people who win d dv

Why? Were they forced to file to travel to the US? They made the choice. Then on top of all of that they moved to New York. When there are parts of the US they could have moved to and paid half of that amount for a 3 bedroom. Planning is everything. With their Visa and the types of jobs they had they actually would have qualified at the very least for food vouchers. They could have also qualified for financial aid to go to school and take English as a second language class. In fact with the income they were getting ALL of that would most likely be covered by financial aid. So again it is about planning. No one is going to spoon feed you. There are agencies set up everywhere for things like these. Both government sponsored and Charities.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 6:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
i seriously dont know why America is still doing the DV lottery. This immigration stream needs to be put on hold till their economy gets better and thereafter allow only skilled /professional individuals immigrate.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 6:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hwy 95: Here lies the problem
But without any assistance, family or guidance in a new country, many find themselves unprepared to start their lives from scratch.

America or the rest of the World is not how as good as it used to be many years ago.

Every Country has it's challenges some much more than others. Because of the constant threat from Al Queda / Terrorism many things have changed in the Western World.

However America is still the land of opportunity with so many positives that completely out weigh the negatives.

You do not have to be rich, privileged or connected to have a reasonably good life in the USA.

Where did the following Face book, Linked In, Ups, Fedex, IpAD, IPhone, Google, Yahoo, Gmail, Black Berry, Movies, Fashion , Music etc, etc originate ?

Blackberry is Canadian and I dont know about movies, fashion, and music originating from America.

4 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by lastmessenger: 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
By the time their story change, they wont tell anybody.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If you have a comfortable life in Nigeria with a job please stay back at home.

The Dad with a comfortable life in Nepal should have stayed behind and found another way for the Son to educate in the US.

Come to the US for vacation, buy property together with others and give it to a rental company but stay in Nigeria. You can have the American dream while living in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
lady gogo: i seriously dont know why America is still doing the DV lottery. This immigration stream needs to be put on hold till their economy gets better and thereafter allow only skilled /professional individuals immigrate.

It has been placed on hold.

However just because the opportunity is there doesn't mean one should take advantage of it if it will end up being negative.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Fadelex: it's not as if it's so bad here... imagine paying $1,000 per months for house rent for just 2 bedroom flat. how can I leave my job (I'm lucky to have it), my profession, my family and bright future here in Nigeria to go and meet uncertainty in America, where I will be followed cuz of d colour of my skin, where I won't have freedom.

it's not always greener at the other side. may God help us.

$1,000 per month is not actually that high for rent. Sure he can get cheaper but he also needs to balance that with easy access to work, etc

All in all this family made a lot of miscalculations.

PS: I've lived in the US since 1986 and I've never been followed so it's a misconception. Keep your nose clean and no one gives a hoot what color of skin you have. At least in my experience but I don't habitate slummy parts or move with dodgy characters.

3 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by AjanleKoko: 6:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
We should not use the experiences of this Nepalese woman to judge things.
The US has a higher standard of living, and higher costs of living. Migrating to the US will require a lot more exposure and preparation than may be available to an average Nepalese. Language skills, education, work experience, even contacts in the US - all have their roles in ensuring as smooth a landing as possible. You can't just jump in from wherever, and expect to fit in from Day 1. Plus, nothing is guaranteed to anybody. It's a capitalist society after all.

Ironically, this is kind of a testament to the resilience of the average Nigerian. We adapt very well, I must say wink

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 6:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Somorin#1:

It has been placed on hold.

However just because the opportunity is there doesn't mean one should take advantage of it if it will end up being negative.

No . it hasnt. https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ it was put on hold in some specific countries because they had exceeded their quota for those countries or something of that sort.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by soulglo: 7:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
AjanleKoko: We should not use the experiences of this Nepalese woman to judge things.
The US has a higher standard of living, and higher costs of living. Migrating to the US will require a lot more exposure and preparation than may be available to an average Nepalese. Language skills, education, work experience, even contacts in the US - all have their roles in ensuring as smooth a landing as possible. You can't just jump in from wherever, and expect to fit in from Day 1. Plus, nothing is guaranteed to anybody. It's a capitalist society after all.

Ironically, this is kind of a testament to the resilience of the average Nigerian. We adapt very well, I must say wink

I have to agree. The average Nigerian will find a way even if the Visa granted was only to live on the sun

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
Well immigration is an adventure, and risk, if you make it, good, if not...

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
Some Europeans emigrated as paupers and got farmland in North dakota e.t.c. Immigration is a risk worth taking.... If you know what you are doing. It is not compulsory to live in your native land. The British are the biggest emigrants.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Fadelex(m): 7:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Somorin#1:

$1,000 per month is not actually that high for rent. Sure he can get cheaper but he also needs to balance that with easy access to work, etc

All in all this family made a lot of miscalculations.

PS: I've lived in the US since 1986 and I've never been followed so it's a misconception. Keep your nose clean and no one gives a hoot what color of skin you have. At least in my experience but I don't habitate slummy parts or move with dodgy characters.
sir, I'm not tryin to condemn moving to America but my annoyance is with father leaving dependable and reliable job for uncertainty. I bet you went to US in 1986 as a bachelor, alone or to study... not moving your whole family without plan for sustainability

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by tolsee(m): 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
I have been in the US for about 3years now, having schooled in the UK (MBA) and Nigeria. It was pretty rough and tough in the beginning but now I have no regrets and see greater prospects. I can plan and see that plan through because there is a system that works and all you need is finding a niche for one's self. What really helped me was my family support system, this is a very important factor. Very important. Having a Nigerian British accent is hard enough, talk-less of Nepalese. America is what you make of it, the people you surround yourself with when you arrive will determine how far and which path you will go and end. 2013 is the "Ideas Age", not information or technology or industrial age. And the United States of America rules this age. For my brothers and sisters that have strong entrepreneurial capacities and resilience, they stand a better chance making it in the US than in Nigeria. Over here, we create value and then make money. No one really cares if you are white or black when they know your product or service will add value in some way to their lives either via increased profits or a easier lifestyle. We hear of 12year olds daily selling patents to Google and Apple for millions of dollars, who born you for 9ja?? Let people make their decisions either to migrate or remain in Nigeria. There is no one formula that fits all..

5 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Hwy95: 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hwy 95: Here lies the problem

Blackberry is Canadian and I dont know about movies, fashion, and music originating from America.

True about BB. But it's all North America.
By Music i mean a lot of the music we like & enjoy ( Blues, R&B, Country, Rap, etc )
Movies ( American Movies )
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 7:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hwy 95: Hwy 95: Here lies the problem

True about BB. But it's all North America.
By Music i mean a lot of the music we like & enjoy ( Blues, R&B, Country, Rap, etc )
Movies ( American Movies )

You should have been more specific then.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
I still dont get it why anybody will leave a comfortable middle class lifestyle in Nigeria to go and start life all over in the US, that country is the last place i will ever advice anybody wheter comfortable in Naija or not to migrate to. The so called American dream is nothing but a myth, it's all propanganda.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Princek12(m): 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Does anyone think that there will be a 100% success rate for every lottery winner? I hope not. For every story like this, there are tens of success stories of people who won the lottery and became successful.

Coming to America is not everyone, as you have to get a good education and work very hard. Only good thing is that there is a stronger likelihood of reward for hardwork in America.

2 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Uwadiegwu1: 7:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
Well stated..I live in America too...and i definitely understand where you're coming from.
dasparrow:

@Bolded

This is what I keep telling people. I will not discourage anyone from migrating and looking for greener pastures but with the way things currently are in the western world, I will strongly advise anyone who already has a job in their home country and are living a comfortable life to stay put. The economic recession in the western world is still lingering on and jobs are hard to come by even for people who are born and raised in America and hold advanced degrees from American universities. It is rough out there. Even Nigerian-Americans - in other words Americans born and raised in America to Nigerian parents - are coming to Nigeria and looking for ways to get a job and settle here if the opportunity presents itself. The western world is not what it used to be in comparison to what it was when I went back there in the 90s.

@Post

I can relate to this article because I also suffered severe stomach problems when I first migrated to USA in the late 90s. Due to poor nutrition when I first arrived, I developed a severe stomach virus that required me to go for an endoscopy and then be placed on strong antibiotics. I really suffered when I first arrived in the USA. Looking back, you can't pay me to go through that kind of suffering again especially because America is no longer what she used to be as a nation. I watched with shock as so many indigenous Americans lost their homes because they could no longer make their mortgage payments. I watched as so many indigenous Americans had to sell their cars for dirt cheap just to pay their bills and I watched many indigenous Americans in their 20s and 30s moving back in with their aging parents because they have no jobs and as such cannot afford rent and are forced to live with their parents again. Others are postponing starting a family because they can barely afford to provide for themselves talk less of providing for children.

The world has become a tough place. I feel sorry for our generation but feel even worse for the future generations. The western world used to be some kind of a haven for people from poorer countries to go to and start life afresh while giving them an opportunity for a better life. But now that the western world is going through a seemingly never ending recession and tightening her borders, I wonder where people from developing countries go to now in search for greener pastures? Hmmmm.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ventnaija: 7:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
[Gist] : Singer Maheeda Takes Of Her Nun Cloths, Touches Her Privates & Goes Naked For Us
http://ventnaija..com.br/2013/11/maheeda-takes-of-her-nun-cloths-touches.html
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Uwadiegwu1: 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
MORE PICS
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Uwadiegwu1: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
MORE
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
The America dream isn't as rosy now as it once was, and coming from a non English speaking country makes it very difficult for any individual in that situation.....Most Nigerians who relocate to the United States tend to start right from the ground up before making it...Even the rich do go through difficult challenges also.....Best advice for Nigerians with good jobs is never quit your day job.....The rule is for one to be in the Us every six months, spend a week or two and then back to Nigeria, until citizenship is granted....then decide whether to move to the Sates permanently.
Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by Gbabe2: 8:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Bros its a lie.I left Nigeria 10 months ago with a visa lottery and i dont have any regret today.I was an Assistant Manager (Internal Audit) with an Insurance Company in VI when i won a Visa lottery.Also,I am an ACCA Chartered Accountant,a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA),a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and Certified Forensic Accountant (CrFA) when i left nigeria last December.By Gods grace i also had a Savings of 10000 USD with me when i left Lagos and i can tell you today i have no regrets at all.
First and foremost,i started with this Certified medical Training (CMT) in Baltimore Maryland.After 3 months i got a job with the training and i was working as a care giver (cleaning and bathing the disabled and handicaps).If you have ever heard of Chimes Incorporation Baltimore,Maryland that was were i started with all my certificates and exposures.I wont deceive you,if i didn't do that my host was ready to throw me out then (March 2013).But i never lost my vision and dreams.With the little i was earning cleaning the disabled,i got a small car to push me around and was still applying for my accounting and audit jobs.I attended more than 40 different interviews both within and outside of Baltimore,MD.Severally i drove to Annapolis (State Capital) for interviews and i had no regrets.A lot of people told me i cant get an Accounting Job but i didnt allow their stupid,naive and parochial way of thinking to stop me.Peeps,we all know where we are going to.Some 1000miles and some 50 miles journey in life and which i believe will help you to prepare and fortify yourself.Guess what?i also started my CPA examinations instantly just to add value to my self and i have no regret at all.
By Gods grace,today i have an Audit job with an international organization here in Baltimore,MD.I earn 60K USD and i will travel to 23 states in USA and 4 different Continents with my new role as International Financial Auditor (after 9 months of Job hunting).
Dont ever under estimate yourself.Look beyond your hindrances and always pray to God for mercies and unusual favor.God has a purpose for you coming to United States.Dont cage yourself and dont ever listen to failures.Today,by Gods grace people come to me and ask how i did it.
I have no regrets at all by his grace

femmyb: I still dont get it why anybody will leave a comfortable middle class lifestyle in Nigeria to go and start life all over in the US, that country is the last place i will ever advice anybody wheter comfortable in Naija or not to migrate to. The so called American dream is nothing but a myth, it's all propanganda.

10 Likes

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by ladygogo: 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
Gbabe 2: Bros its a lie.I left Nigeria 10 months ago with a visa lottery and i dont have any regret today.I was an Assistant Manager (Internal Audit) with an Insurance Company in VI when i won a Visa lottery.Also,I am an ACCA Chartered Accountant,a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA),a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and Certified Forensic Accountant (CrFA) when i left nigeria last December.By Gods grace i also had a Savings of 10000 USD with me when i left Lagos and i can tell you today i have no regrets at all.
First and foremost,i started with this Certified medical Training (CMT) in Baltimore Maryland.After 3 months i got a job with the training and i was working as a care giver (cleaning and bathing the disabled and handicaps).If you have ever heard of Chimes Incorporation Baltimore,Maryland that was were i started with all my certificates and exposures.I wont deceive you,if i didn't do that my host was ready to throw me out then (March 2013).But i never lost my vision and dreams.With the little i was earning cleaning the disabled,i got a small car to push me around and was still applying for my accounting and audit jobs.I attended more than 40 different interviews both within and outside of Baltimore,MD.Severally i drove to Annapolis (State Capital) for interviews and i had no regrets.A lot of people told me i cant get an Accounting Job but i didnt allow their stupid,naive and parochial way of thinking to stop me.Peeps,we all know where we are going to.Some 1000miles and some 50 miles journey in life and which i believe will help you to prepare and fortify yourself.Guess what?i also started my CPA examinations instantly just to add value to my self and i have no regret at all.
By Gods grace,today i have an Audit job with an international organization here in Baltimore,MD.I earn 60K USD and i will travel to 23 states in USA and 4 different Continents with my new role as International Financial Auditor (after 9 months of Job hunting).
Dont ever under estimate yourself.Look beyond your hindrances and always pray to God for mercies and unusual favor.God has a purpose for you coming to United States.Dont cage yourself and dont ever listen to failures.Today,by Gods grace people come to me and ask how i did it.
I have no regrets at all by his grace

Your story is an inspiration. I love your never say die attitude. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream by chiwuike20: 8:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
lady gogo: i seriously dont know why America is still doing the DV lottery. This immigration stream needs to be put on hold till their economy gets better and thereafter allow only skilled /professional individuals immigrate.
And u think if d 'skilled and professionals' were yardstick in d selection of immigrants, u wud be selected? Even if it were so, it wud not reduce d multitude of people playing d DV lottery

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Between Truck And Keke Leaves Two Dead In Imo State. Photos / Nigerian Immigration To Introduce Various Visa Categories / AirAsia QZ8501: Forty Bodies Found In Missing Plane Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.