Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,423 members, 7,958,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:36 AM

Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood (2622 Views)

Jay Z & Solange’s Fight Compared With Ray Rice & Fiancée (julius Agwu's Version) / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood / Jeta Amata Is Working On A New Thriller With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:44am On Aug 15, 2005
Gosh wesley we think alike. wink
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:51am On Aug 15, 2005
what do you mean by i am extreme about my criticism, my criticism is what i think is wrong, comparing me to simon is not bad and i dont mind.
Angel saying you criticise. well thats on you. As far as i am concerned things should be said they way they are. I just cant see anything good in their crappy movie. Pls whoever started this thread should think before doing such.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:52am On Aug 15, 2005
nnaji for hollywood (castle in air)
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:54am On Aug 15, 2005
"oh tell me why ...do we build castles in the sky...oh tell me why....all the castles way up high"

this is a totally irrelevant lyric.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2005
Things are being said the way they are. The truth is NIgerian movies aren't What you think they are (crap). All they need is Improvement which will happen with time. They aren't stagnant, and Genny could be in Hollywood! Period!
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2005
WesleyanA:

"oh tell me why ...do we build castles in the sky...oh tell me why.all the castles way up high"

i don't want to be rude but i would put it this way, castles aint built in the sky ? impossible just like how genny can't make hollywood.

Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2005
Don't you dare say "Impossible". Everything is possible. Never say Never.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 12:34am On Aug 16, 2005
what happened to this thread. .
at least it looks better than it was before. smiley

and......i never said castles were built in the sky....that was just a lyric to a song by Ian van dahl. it came to my mind and i mentioned beneath it that it was "a totally irrelevant lyric".

and yes even though nollywood can't be compared to Hollywood, it desn't mean nollywood can't grow to be as good or even better. it just takes time +money.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 5:14pm On Aug 16, 2005
you wont keep your ugly being to yourself
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2005
never
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:28pm On Aug 16, 2005
i guess you hate yourself
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2005
not really. at least not as you think/wish. grin
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2005
but you hate yourself be sincere
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by hotangel2(f): 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2005
Who would hate themselves? cheesy
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 7:52pm On Aug 16, 2005
wesley would coz she said she doesnt hate herself as much as i think or wish. So there is a possiblity she hates herself
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 7:54pm On Aug 16, 2005
you wish smiley. but...no i don't hate myself.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 8:05pm On Aug 16, 2005
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this thread is not for ugly gurls like you, It says Nollywood cannot be compared with hollywood,
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 8:08pm On Aug 16, 2005
From the name nollywood you know its an immitation, Why cant Africans be africans and promote their own culture. The white man has his culture so this an african man. Why immitation of everything. That sincerely freaks me out.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by WesleyanA(f): 8:11pm On Aug 16, 2005
are you promoting your culture ?
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by nddy(m): 8:16pm On Aug 16, 2005
what do you know? nothing what is your problem ? guys dont like you, pls dont carry out your frastration on me
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by vexxy(f): 8:33pm On Aug 16, 2005
IMO Nollywood will never be Hollywood and Hollywood will never be Bollywood because they are all different, catering to different cultures, with different likes and dislikes.

You can't compare things that are cross culture because people have different tastes.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by obiee(m): 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2005
whats all this noise about holly and nolly?
holly wood is miles and miles and miles............. and miles ,way ahead of this idumota crew
some naija films just make u wanna beat up someone after watchin them (includin yourself if no1 is around)
1st the sound quality is BULL, and the lights and cameras.....? I mean havent they heard of Director of Photography?

but we have tappin actors o! ( BONE!!!! )
dem Olu jacobs , joke silva and co. they are 2 much
but d fact is dat our industry still needs to develop quite well and stop tryin 2 copy hollywood . I mean u should see THE PRESIDENT MUST NOT DIE
meeeeen dat film wwas just ................ CRAAAP!!!!
Even Mainframes Campus queen was rubbish

but some films are not all dat bad sha
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by xphanti(f): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2006
how dare you compare nollywood to hollywood!!!!!!!!!!!!! INSULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you cannot compare. the story lines of the nigerian movies are crap especially the english movies, they are very predictable and brain retarding.the actors and actresses cannot act. just any idiot can start to act in these movies.it is very hard to break into the movie industry in AMERICA. i respect very few actresses and actors like OLU JACOBS, JOKE JACOBS, SEGUN ARINZE and a few others. quite a number of these people have no business acting they are just hungry for money there is no passion for what they do. you can imagine regina askia acting since when did having a fine face or winning a beauty pageant give anyone the right to act. the latest is the actresses trying to sing, what in the world has gotten into these people they also copy story lines of western films, the other day i was watching some nigerian film, omotola jolade acted in it,it was just like watching the wedding planner though the cheapest and cheesiest version of it. i found it really disgusting. can they not have their story lines they complain of movie piracy the should take out the log in their eye first. The commit the piracy before any one else does by using foreign songs as their soundtrack without the permission of the record label or the artist.they should know better than this. i believe on person out of the whole movie crew should at least be educated and have knowledge of the law.they should have acting school or a performing school and only the ones who can speak english properly should be allowed to act in the english movies.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by Orikinla(m): 6:02pm On Apr 15, 2006

Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood
« #53 on: August 16, 2005, 10:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
whats all this noise about holly and nolly?
holly wood is miles and miles and miles, and miles ,way ahead of this idumota crew
some naija films just make u want to beat up someone after watchin them (includin yourself if no1 is around)
1st the sound quality is BULL, and the lights and cameras, ? I mean havent they heard of Director of Photography?

but we have tappin actors o! ( BONE!!!! )
them Olu jacobs , joke silva and co. they are 2 much
but d fact is that our industry still needs to develop quite well and stop tryin 2 copy hollywood . I mean u should see THE PRESIDENT MUST NOT DIE
meeeeen that film wwas just , CRAAAP!!!!
Even Mainframes Campus queen was rubbish

Obiee,
You are one mean dude!

Our association contributed one million naira to Tunde Kelani for "Campus Queen" and when he showed it to us first, I was disappointed and I told others so.
TK is best with Yoruba movies.

All you Nigerians in America and Europe stop talking and come home to sponsor some movies and state your terms. $50,000 is enough to produce a good movie in Nigeria.

There are some good screenplays in Nollywood and the Yorubas are even better producers than the Ibo producers. And the Yorubas act for the love of the Art. But, the Ibos act for the love of the money.

Who has seen "Ikoto Aiye"?
The script was classic and the casting was perfect.
The actors and actresses were perfect.

The Ibos messed up the film industry in Nigeria with their Onitsha Market Literature inspired home videos they call Nollywood.

If you understand the intellectual idiosyncracies of the majority of the Nollywood producers/marketers, you will not be surprised by the products of their warped mentalities.

If you go to Yaba Bus Stop and see how my fellow Ibo brothers and sisters are milling around the railway line hawking and peddling second clothes and contraband goods, you will be heart-broken. And they have also included pirated copies of foreign musical CDs and DVDs and movies. These petty traders and their housewives and relatives are the main target audience of Nollywood and these Nollywood stars speaking English like the White man are their local heroes and role models.

They are not producing these 500 per month Nollywood movies for you in America and Europe. But, some of you have been arranging awards for them in America and you give them the erroneous impression that they are now international stars and can even rub shoulders with the Hollywood stars.

You flatter them here and their heads swell and they are posing and posturing as stars and begin to fake American or British accent.

Okay, let us stop talking and sneering at Nollywood.

Mildred Okwo returned home to sponsor "30 Days".
Who is next?

Leadership is best by example.

As we say in Ibo, "Nkiruka", the future is greater.

The Nigerian films of our dreams are coming.

Our future is brighter and greater.

If you doubt me, you will lose woefully.
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by Efani(m): 4:02am On Apr 16, 2006
nIGERIAN MOVIES PISS ME THE F*CK OFF AND I HATE THEM
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by Orikinla(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2006
nIGERIAN MOVIES PISS ME THE F*CK OFF AND I HATE THEM

Just like your negative comment pissed me off! grin
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by chichimma(f): 1:15am On Apr 17, 2006
Waaaauw, what a debate.

I am a new member at this forum site and I am extremely interested in the Nollywood industry, especially because its quite jung ( less then 15 yrs)  and what directors, producers, actors and actressess have accomplished with limited or lack of resources, each time they make a new movie in such a short time span its incredible.

I must confess that sometimes these stories look alike or are too predictable, nevertheless, the industry is trying alot and has become more familiar in many parts of African countries, parts of  Europe and even US. Nollywood has a long way to go to be fully recognized but at the same time they are getting there faster than critics will think.
I do not think that Hollywood could have achieved so much with limited resources in less than 15 years.

Or can some one else prove otherwise
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by trendy(f): 11:40am On Mar 14, 2007
Let's not deceive ourselves Nigerian
Nollywood is Far Far behind
claiming to be there wont take us there cool
Re: Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood by chichimma(f): 1:37am On Mar 15, 2007
We are not there! We are going to be there one day! All the critics of Nollywood will sing another song then tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout New Live Pictures Of Tstv Decoder, Dish And Signal Quality / My Short Fim Script- THE PLIGHT / Mike And Gloria Bamiloye (mount Zion) Debut India's First Gospel Movie 'rupantar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.