Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood (9469 Views)

Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry / Jeta Amata Is Working On A New Thriller With Hollywood / Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by IAJA: 10:37pm On Oct 21, 2012
Call her an optimist.

In an interview with Fidelis Mbah of BBC to promote her new film Amina, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde responded positively to the question: “Nollywood movies have over the years received knocks for low quality and poor scripts. Has anything changed lately?”

“Oh absolutely. If you watch most movies out of Nollywood in the past three, four years—perhaps in 2006, consistently—most of the big-budget movies are what they are: big-budget movies. They can compete with any other movie from anywhere else around the world—even Hollywood.”

Later, Mbah said: “Judging by international recognition and awards, Nollywood film industry doesn’t seem to be doing so well, despite the number of movies produced almost on daily basis.”

“Really? You think we’re not doing very well? It’s ‘supposedly’ the third largest movie industry in the world,” replied Omotola, raising her fingers to denote quotes for the word “supposedly.”

“And we’re barely just 16 years old,” she continued. “I think that’s very well—extremely well, actually.”

However, the 34-year-old actress, who had her breakthrough with 1995′s Moral Inheritance, recognizes that Nollywood is not “perfect,” placing its limitations on its foundation in a “Third World country” that is “still growing.”

“We’re doing the best we humanly can, and I think we have grown tremendously,” said Omotola, citing Amina as an example.

Amina, a joint Nigerian-British production directed by Christian Ashiaku, is a psychological human drama. Omotola stars as the titular character: a young woman who suffers a mental breakdown due to a series of unfortunate events. The world premiere took place on Wednesday, Oct. 17 at London’s Empire Cinemas in Leicester Square.

http://www.nollyscope.com/news/omotola-nollywood-can-compete-with-hollywood/
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by fittty(m): 9:53am On Oct 22, 2012
In your dreams. undecided

With all the pastors/spiritual sh*t, part1.2.3..7, fake stunts, and Unnecessary scene/dragging

undecided
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by acidtalk: 9:55am On Oct 22, 2012
That's so true.
They will even beat hollywood hands down.

Only and only if we are talking of Ritual scenes and poor picture quality.

6 Likes

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Abujafood: 9:56am On Oct 22, 2012
In Hollywood, Tom Cruise gets paid for one movie what all the Movie producers in Nollywood can only put together in 5 years to shoot thousands of movies. Omotola wake up O, this is no longer make believe.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Jyde89: 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
fittty: In your dreams. undecided
my thought's exactly.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by megxo(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
bla bla bla>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!
#omotola, abeg wake up as i've jst did
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by tonym1(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
She is a joker with some majority of yeye films they produce in Nollywood, even when the story line is written you can predict what will happen in sequences of the whole film. cheesy
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by candieangel12(f): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2012
Nollywood is prolly the best in Africa n its is improving but I'm sorry, nollywood cant compete with hollywood. Nollywood still has a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola should stop taking cheap drugs, it an insult comparing Hollywood with Nollywood

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by MaxMoney(m): 9:58am On Oct 22, 2012
Oh, really? U've gotta be kidding me madam.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by chycole: 10:01am On Oct 22, 2012
acidtalk: That's so true.
They will even beat hollywood hands down.

Only and only if we are talking of Ritual scenes and poor picture quality.

YOU BE EBA, SO YOU NO LIKE BETTER THING.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola is a diva anytime. If you guys think its easy to shoot film in Nigeria just raise a camera up and see how horrible our environment is. They are just trying their best. I believe one day everything will change gradually. As she said they are only 16years old. Do you know how old Hollywood is. I think they started 1886, den Nigerians were still walking around nak ed.

8 Likes

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by kenraj(m): 10:05am On Oct 22, 2012
Dream on babe!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by javijabor: 10:07am On Oct 22, 2012
ABEG MAKE PERSON ASK AM IF SHE DON WATCH THE AVENGERS

NA YEAR 2099 WE GO EVEN NEAR THAT KIND FILM. angry
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Teejayphillip(m): 10:08am On Oct 22, 2012
She wan steal am? D money hollywood spends on makin a film alone,nt 2 even talk abt d stunts n d 5D video camra dey use in shootin... Omotola com dey whine n dey gif hersef wif d so calld nollywood stars hope of competing wif d Hollywood actors... Mayb in next generation...
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 22, 2012
This is laughable. I would like to see their film villages first!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 22, 2012
I have a dream, a song to sing.

2 Likes

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by mejai(m): 10:09am On Oct 22, 2012
After readin dis I started feelin sleepy again. Maybe d day we stop usin knock-out as Ak-47 or we dodge bullets like Neo in matrix, we can talk abt d competition. Beer tym
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by wassup123(m): 10:12am On Oct 22, 2012
Seriously, I fink she ws sleepin wen she said dat
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by mejai(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2012
uihebom: Omotola is a diva anytime. If you guys think its easy to shoot film in Nigeria just raise a camera up and see how horrible our environment is. They are just trying their best. I believe one day everything will change gradually. As she said they are only 16years old. Do you know how old Hollywood is. I think they started 1886, den Nigerians were still walking around nak ed.

Even movies hollywood acted 100yrs ago, naija neva reach dat level. Hollywood considers a lot of tinx while actin, but here, we no send.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by femmy2010(m): 10:18am On Oct 22, 2012
Maybe she meant GhanaWood,certainly not hollywood.

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by salam001(m): 10:19am On Oct 22, 2012
All of you hating on Nollywood,you all need your brain checked,

Me think Nollywood is better than Hollywood in the sense you learn something from nollywood than Hollywood,
what the hell will your children learn from spartacus Or merlin?,but a geniune African movie(although might not have quality pictures)have something for our children
My two naira

3 Likes

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by dridowu: 10:19am On Oct 22, 2012
Too Much/Over Excess GARRI on Omotola Mind............................Yawnnnnn
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by CLIQBOY(m): 10:20am On Oct 22, 2012
Until a ghost stop looking both left and right before crossing the road

2 Likes

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by megareal: 10:21am On Oct 22, 2012
Yes we know that ''as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he'' but nollywood doesnt think, talkless of being what she claims. She's hallucinating. Someone jolt her back to reality! ! !
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by safarigirl(f): 10:25am On Oct 22, 2012
nollywood can compete with hollywood....and a volkswagen is much better than a rolls royce tongue
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by JubalTheophilus: 10:26am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola ,if i slaaaaap u eh !
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by pingo(m): 10:27am On Oct 22, 2012
You should have thought about that before naming it Nollywood(coined from Hollywood) Why not Nollynaija
Have Nollywood produced any scientific movie close to Avarter, matrix or even gladiator, Spartacus etc. We recently saw Tupac performing as if he is alive with the use of Hologram, all these are Hollywood. They invested alot in making a movie, research and so on, But our NollyBush just rush production just to start selling! In Nollywood movies, just the names of the actors in staring gives u the end of the movie. Omo.T use your head o! Hollywood don go far and we never near self!!!I dey grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 22, 2012
Omosexyy,were u drunk when u said all these? U better wake up and face reality,than living in a foolss paradise.we cant compete with common indian or mexican film,muchmore Hollywood.

Why should you compare Death,with Sleep?

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by ayee001: 10:30am On Oct 22, 2012
The fact remains that we are still miles apart from Hollywood. Remember, the film on Mohammed that caused uprising in the Arab world was termed as a "low budget film". That film gulped between $2-3million. That is what a low budget film in Hollywood is.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Chanchit: 10:33am On Oct 22, 2012
Na wash.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 22, 2012
WTF? When did Omotola turn to joseph da dreamer. Even nicklelodeon sitcoms are way better than the most interesting Nollywood movies in every aspect, not to talk of comparing movies like AVATAR to nollywoods poor quality movies with the picture quality of a video shot with a tecno camera phone. You cant even compare how much they are payed. The money chris tucker was payed in rush hour, is enough to buy the whole Nollywood including its Producers, Directors and a few actors as bonus. Someone should better pour water on her face, maybe she would wake up from her deep slumber

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nollywood: Don't We Need A Revolution? / Petition To Scrap The Nigerian Movie Industry / Supernatural Fan Page {plus SEASON9 discussions}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.