Stats: 3,153,583 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North (13012 Views)

Oil And Gas Exploration To Begin In North-East – Buhari / Buhari To Resume Oil Exploration In The Chad Basin / FG Provides N888bn For Subsidy In 2012 Budget (2) (3) (4)

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by MAYOWAAK: 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
The eternal reliance on oil revenue has done a lot of damage to the federation. Every day now, we hear the Niger Delta people say “our oil, our oil”. During the petrol price hike crisis in January 2012, some Niger Delta person, trying to suggest that the protests were unjustly aimed at President Goodluck Jonathan, said something like: “If our son is not good enough to be president of Nigeria, then our oil is not good enough for Nigeria.” This warped logic—which tends to paint oil as the solution to all human problems—defies the fact that the most advanced countries in the world do not rely on oil revenue. Even Norway, the poster boy of successful management of oil revenue, survives on tax. Their oil money is saved largely for the rainy day.

But do you blame us? Why do we need to stretch our brain to dream of building our own Microsoft and Apple when we can look up to Abuja for the flow of petrodollars every month? Why should Bauchi bother to tap its tourism potential? Why should Bayelsa dream of feeding Africa with its FADAMA rice when there is a fat FAAC cheque to be collected in Abuja monthly? Why should we quicken Ajaokuta so that the fourth biggest steel company in the world can begin to operate fully and spice up the economy? Why should Aba be developed into our own Taiwan or Japan? There is no such incentive. The only incentive I can see in Nigeria is federation account.

It wouldn’t even matter if we are utilising federal allocations to develop the most important resource at our disposal: the human capital. Oil is not the real deal, no matter how dominant it has become in our lives. It was human beings that designed cars and made petrol as important as it is today. Human beings are now designing cars that run on bio-fuels, electricity and solar energy. By the time the cars become popularly accepted, the demand for oil could drop. It may not happen in the next 50 years but it would happen someday. So the wise person does not keep emphasising on oil and ignoring human capital. The wise person thinks about a future where our lives will no longer depend on oil but on the quality of the brain. It was human beings that invented aeroplanes, computers and phones, etc. If we are wise now, our energies should be devoted to getting out of this oil trap.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
WHAT AN EYESORE!!! angry angry ....spits, DIVES away from thread
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by oluwaisaac(m): 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nigerian Professors....ah, terrible illiterates! Quote me anywhere...an uneducated man can reason better.
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by confusion247(m): 8:46pm On Apr 02, 2013
Can someone from NIGER DELTA own an oil well in the north when the time comes?
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
Fesisko: Our oyeh money,our oyeh money,Oga they chop am yanfu-yanfu...
lol...I love this song.

Instead of developing other minerals that are in abundance, everyone wants oil. This government is really clueless.
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by brownlord: 8:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Chei i don die, i don die, i don die, nai i wake up this morning wit just 470 naira for my house, remaining about 230 this evening from my spending, nai federal govt use 100m dos take equip boko haram, chai God why r u this merciful, crying
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by ikweremilitant: 8:57pm On Apr 02, 2013
Austine.E:
...wasted investment!hope the money doesnt end up in they hands of islamists,reference to boko haram.
boko haram more hostages for u on d way
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by ugochukwumaduka: 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2013
Yujin:
If GEJ is doing all this to pacify all those pugnacious greedy boko haram sponspored old men, then I am afraid that Jonathan is not the saviour we are looking for.
Guy neva cal GEJ for this one yet...FOI, the FG n NNPC have been exploring for oil in d north since the early 80's(dt I concretely know of) and maybe even earlier.
Its a long term policy thing(also fueled by powerful northern elites lyk IBB).so dnt think GEJ just started it,neida wld d next president stop it.dey just mit find marginal fields der.for d north it is a matter of finding a way to equate with d south using oil as a solid leverage.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by admcompub: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2013
This is just a waste, another monetary award for the BOKO Groups Nig.LTD,
The will continue to Bleep you guys up.
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by LloydAchi(m): 9:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
How many times are we going to go down this road? Every geologist that knows his onus will tell you that you are on a long thing. There are no structural traps to hold the oil in place even if you have all ingredients in the basins. As for Chad basin, any oil formed migrate down trough into Chad and Cameroon. It's not a rocket science. This is all politics and a way to share some money.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
Yujin: Of all the over twenty(20) solid minerals of proven commercial quantity in the North non catches the fancy of the northern leaders except the exploration for oil! Greedy leaders who do not think good for the average northerner. All they think is oil and they are willing to sacrifice millions of souls for it.
What happened to the millions of tons of iron ore in Kogi? What happened to the barites in Bauchi? What happened to the lead/gold in Zamfara?
If GEJ is doing all this to pacify all those pugnacious greedy boko haram sponspored old men, then I am afraid that Jonathan is not the saviour we are looking for.
THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST ONE SHAMELESS BUNCH OF TOXIC WASTES. HOW ON EARTH CAN A PEOPLE BE WITHOUT A SINGLE INNITIATIVE TO MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF THE OTHER NUMEROUS RESOURCES THEY HAVE? WHATS THIS FREAKY,EVIL,GREEDY MADNESS ABOUT NOTHING BUT POWER AND MONEY AND OIL? OIL OIL OIL,AGREEMENT FOR POWER, OTHER PEOPLE'S ALLOCATION? WHAT PARASITIC ASSOCIATION THIS BLOODY IS? WASTES
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
Yujin: Of all the over twenty(20) solid minerals of proven commercial quantity in the North non catches the fancy of the northern leaders except the exploration for oil! Greedy leaders who do not think good for the average northerner. All they think is oil and they are willing to sacrifice millions of souls for it.
What happened to the millions of tons of iron ore in Kogi? What happened to the barites in Bauchi? What happened to the lead/gold in Zamfara? And many more like that.
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by devour129: 9:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
MAYOWAAK: The eternal reliance on oil revenue has done a lot of damage to the federation. Every day now, we hear the Niger Delta people say “our oil, our oil”. During the petrol price hike crisis in January 2012, some Niger Delta person, trying to suggest that the protests were unjustly aimed at President Goodluck Jonathan, said something like: “If our son is not good enough to be president of Nigeria, then our oil is not good enough for Nigeria.” This warped logic—which tends to paint oil as the solution to all human problems—defies the fact that the most advanced countries in the world do not rely on oil revenue. Even Norway, the poster boy of successful management of oil revenue, survives on tax. Their oil money is saved largely for the rainy day.

But do you blame us? Why do we need to stretch our brain to dream of building our own Microsoft and Apple when we can look up to Abuja for the flow of petrodollars every month? Why should Bauchi bother to tap its tourism potential? Why should Bayelsa dream of feeding Africa with its FADAMA rice when there is a fat FAAC cheque to be collected in Abuja monthly? Why should we quicken Ajaokuta so that the fourth biggest steel company in the world can begin to operate fully and spice up the economy? Why should Aba be developed into our own Taiwan or Japan? There is no such incentive. The only incentive I can see in Nigeria is federation account.

It wouldn’t even matter if we are utilising federal allocations to develop the most important resource at our disposal: the human capital. Oil is not the real deal, no matter how dominant it has become in our lives. It was human beings that designed cars and made petrol as important as it is today. Human beings are now designing cars that run on bio-fuels, electricity and solar energy. By the time the cars become popularly accepted, the demand for oil could drop. It may not happen in the next 50 years but it would happen someday. So the wise person does not keep emphasising on oil and ignoring human capital. The wise person thinks about a future where our lives will no longer depend on oil but on the quality of the brain. It was human beings that invented aeroplanes, computers and phones, etc. If we are wise now, our energies should be devoted to getting out of this oil trap.
you have said it all ! Minds like your is what we need in Nigeria
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by ugochukwumaduka: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2013
Lloyd Achi: How many times are we going to go down this road? Every geologist that knows his onus will tell you that you are on a long thing. There are no structural traps to hold the oil in place even if you have all ingredients in the basins. As for Chad basin, any oil formed migrate down trough into Chad and Cameroon. It's not a rocket science. This is all politics and a way to share some money.
Guy are u a geologist? U just mit b ryt,am not a geologist so I dnt knw bout rock n oil formations.if u re a geologist,u cn enlighten us d more.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by iichidodo: 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2013
Till the next Ice Age there will never be oil in the north. The money is just 'chow' for the northern oligarchs, something to pacify them.
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by talktimi(m): 9:21pm On Apr 02, 2013
Owo awon boys... grin
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by browncool(m): 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2013
I don't know if its just me or my reasoning faculty. I find it hard to understand why for some funds should be wasted unnecessarily
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2013
As a foundational geologist, with over 8 years in oil industry,.......there is no oil in economic quantity in nigeria side of chad basin, non (but gas) in benue trough or basin and that in less commercial quantity. the fed govt has a way of glorifying or beautifying corruption.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by deols(f): 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
who is FG?

He must be rich o! shocked shocked

100m USD??
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Arsenate(m): 9:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
lillyveezy: thank goodness.finally they will go their separate way and let Nigeria be.with the moni from this new discovery,they can afford to pay their brain child all the armnesty they want.who cares!
oh really? Even with no oil in the north, your southern brothers don't seem to want to leave the north. Try again, lol.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by PENMIGHT(m): 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2013
No matter the hate towards the North and its proposed developmental strides, we cannot rule it out that the North just like the South still belongs to one Entity called Nigeria. Expolration of the oil in the North just like we already have in the south should gladen our heart as Nigerians not as tribalist.

They are mutually exclusive events; the successes of which will both benefit us all in the short and long run. I was happy Ghana found oil despite our seeming geograhical difference and age-long superiority tursle. The Boko Haram are our collective enemy just like all corrupt national lifes.

In the North,the food item found predominantly in the south like fresh corn now abounds everywhere. In Abuja as a case study, u get fresh corn everyday at the cheapest rate ever(4 matured corn for N150). This wasn't obtainable in d past. And I pray to live long enough to see groundnut,millet,kola,tomatoes,onions abundantly been produced in comercial volumns in the swampy terrain in the South south.

We can be successful and united together with or without the oil. The heaven is wide enough for us all to fly!

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
I am optimistic that discovery of commercial quanity of oil in the North will bring relative peace to Nigeria and Nigerians. I also hope that with discovery will come the need for Economic Confederation of this country. For those who call for use of the funds for farm implements and other projects, I can only say, there is enough money to handle farm projects and still handle the Oil Exploration project. The Presidency, knows better.

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Revolva(m): 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Oil in which north - do they mean core north or middle belt region...yeye people...na oil be their wahala...nigeria is doomed north west east south!!!
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by honeric01(m): 10:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
I thought the money was for revamping the groundnut piramind. This cursed oil again!
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nigeria has so much arable land that is wasting...

Put them to use as farmland. A plantation isnt a bad idea...

Everything is about oil in Nigeria and if you as a citizen doesnt have access to that oil money then you go hungry in the midst of plenty....

Fud4tot...
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 02, 2013
Isnt this the area where telecom masts are being burnt down

I cant imagine an oil rig in Boko haram territory...

Jona think twice..thrice...

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by avalontony(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2013
NA GROUNDNUT OIL OR KWULI KWULI OIL THEM THEY FIND??

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Jomark(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2013
Wow! Enough money to finance these rogues who kill in the name of muhammed's god...shamless 72virgin dreamers
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by hafsatbaby: 10:45pm On Apr 02, 2013
Mtchw Baseless propaganda#next please
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by Jomark(m): 10:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
debeey87: lets not forget that UAE is just as a desert like d north & they have abundant oil.same might apply here. but who will go there for exploration. maybe they will pay them in gold or diamond to go and explore. still watching.
the same oyibo dey call haram will do it for them. These people are soooo naive!

Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by odutope(m): 10:51pm On Apr 02, 2013
Waste of Tax payers money...smh
Re: FG Provides $100m For Exploration Of Oil In The North by supaeagles(m): 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2013
With that $100m investment they may just end up discovering fool's gold.

Sunday Karimi Challenges Governor Yahaya Bello / Why Anambra Govt Can’t Ban Us – Tricycle Owners / Bola Tinubu Meets Assembly Speakers Of APC Controlled States (Pictures)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60