Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. (19432 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Pampering Of Kids; Is It True Love For Kids Or Misconception Of Love? / People Who Choose Not To Have Kids Or Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by GalaxyNoteII: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2013
adaobi123: They are both as bad as each other. I lived in two countries for a period of time and so I would know grin

However, kids in Nigeria have more respect for their elders unlike the kids abroad.

I agree with you, kids will be rude regardless of where they''re brought up.

I fear to send my child to Nigeria tho, Nigeria is the dumping ground for Westerner's negative behaviors. No thanks.

Child services can take a naughty child if they want, but I will not fear the system and allow that child to go astray.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
ItsModella:
I know right? she was just looking at him with a weary expression. Even if my mom was at the point of death, that slap would give her strength to make sure I die with her.

And the boy at 0:59 was like "but I'm not a dog"....oh, the irony of it all grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

I agree with you, kids will be rude regardless of where they''re brought up.

I fear to send my child to Nigeria tho, Nigeria is the dumping ground for Westerner's negative behaviors. No thanks.

Child services can take a naughty child if they want, but I will not fear the system and allow that child to go astray.
lol nigerian parents in the UK send their children back to Nigeria if they are behaving badly, as they believe they can be disciplined there, but i beg to differ grin grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nightshift(m): 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2013
freecocoa: I've lived in some places in the country, Enugu is one of such places and my favorite.
You talk true sha! Enugu is one of the few cities in Nigeria with swag. It's cute out there, just like your Nl moniker - Omalicha afa.... I'm hitting the shop to get some Swiss chocolate now, manufactured with finest cocoa from Nigeria.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by funnyx(m): 5:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
adaobi123:
lol nigerian parents in the UK send their children back to Nigeria if they are behaving badly, as they believe they can be disciplined there, but i beg to differ grin grin

Its works for some children but definitely not all, it depends on the support put in place for the child being taken to Nigeria. If the child is 'dumped' with a bad relative and with no support he/she might turn out to be worse.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by duro4chang(m): 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
CHILDREN ARE WHAT YOU MAKE THEM
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by BrightDeGea(m): 5:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
Abroad children is the worst, if u try to correct them u will be standing before a judge to defend ur self, the children knws that government has placed heavy punish for anyone that yells at any US child so they go misbehaving because of "my parents won't dare to to me and if they do i will take them to court"

1 Like

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by GalaxyNoteII: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2013
funnyx:

Its works for some children but definitely not all, it depends on the support put in place for the child being taken to Nigeria. If the child is 'dumped' with a bad relative and with no support he/she might turn out to be worse.

Exactly!!

The way Nigerians mistreat children who are not biologically theirs scares me. embarassed

*Nollywood films* grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by 2legit2qwt: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2013
Bright De Gea: Abroad children is the worst, if u try to correct them u will be standing before a judge to defend ur self, the children knws that government has placed heavy punish for anyone that yells at any US child so they go misbehaving because of "my parents won't dare to to me and if they do i will take them to court"

where is antigbagaun? undecided
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by 2legit2qwt: 5:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
Nightshift: I would love to watch you girls tear your pants to shred. Watching such a fight is better than a free beer. Bring it on, in pictures please!!

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by 2legit2qwt: 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

look at this man......
they all pay their guests - some as high as $5000 to appear on the show. if people can prĂ²stitute themselves for as low as $20, why won't she allow herself to be slapped on national TV for $5000? are you kidding me? they are all scripted like WWF. dr phil has no credibility, there are fraud allegations against him - go on google and educate yourself about the so called "reality shows" in american television shows. even judge judy pays for those people coming to her courtroom to discuss coogar stole freecocoa's lunch kinda cases.

says who?
nigerian kids that are rude are down-right rotten.......go to lagos streets and see ornery kids everywhere talking trash, smoking weed, stealing and doing all sorts of vices.....

No denying reality shows has no credibility but in the case of Dr Phil's show and the likes, he pays them to showcase their dirty life to the public which may or may not be exaggerated by the participants.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by coogar: 5:21pm On Apr 05, 2013
2legit2qwt:
No denying reality shows has no credibility but in the case of Dr Phil's show and the likes, he pays them to showcase their dirty life to the public which may or may not be exaggerated by the participants.

everything is scripted......
they train them on what to say and how to feign all manners of expression.....believe those nonsense shows and you would believe anything. a little boy would slap his mother and she would not do anything? come on - there's no rule book that says a parent cannot smack her child......the key is use reasonable force!
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by HARDDON: 5:26pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

this is the mistake you guys are making -
the one abroad would say these things but what makes you think the ones in nigeria do not harbour the same thoughts on their minds but lacked the balls to talk back. the key here is the intention! the kid who says "Bleep off" to his parents and the one who says it in his mind are the same thing......what the nigerian kid will not say to his parents, he says it behind them.

oh yea? better said behind than in your very before!

your own kid? talk back at you? WTF?!

where were you raised ? in the wild?

got THE balls to stand up to you and he is living under your roof and you feeding his rat a33?

what has the world turned into? no more morals? no respect for values? not even parents?

HONOUR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER IN THE LORD IS NOT IN YOUR BIBLE I SUPPOSE.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by freecocoa(f): 5:27pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

says who?
nigerian kids that are rude are down-right rotten.......go to lagos streets and see ornery kids everywhere talking trash, smoking weed, stealing and doing all sorts of vices.....
Coogar you haff lie here joor, I was termed a rude and stubborn child by my mum while growing up, I never even really talked back at her outrightly, it was usually a case of murmuring inaudible words with her asking "what was that?" with this very stern look on her face and me grudgingly saying "nothing ma" even while I felt like slapping her grin.

Them no born me well to walk out on her or go to the room and lock the door, which room you wan even lock?for her house? You must stand there and listen to whatever she\he had to say, the highest you could do as a rude child was give them what we called "eyeing" back then and that's mostly the case with rude Nigerian kids.

Even the ones who were bold enough to say some words back at their parents did so from a distance and usually stay far away as possible after that till the parents anger subsides or they even call neighbors or relatives to come plead on their behalf, hardly will you see Nigerian kids who stand face to face with their parents and insult them.

2 Likes

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by tinuolababy(f): 5:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
kids in ajegunle
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
It all depends on hw d child is trained. In d North, I see how hausa children call their mothers by their names nd even talk rudely as if they are matessad

1 Like

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
Kids living abroad are generally more outspoken than those in Nigeria

Not only kids everyone can express themselves anyhow they want unlike in Nigeria
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by coogar: 5:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
HARDDON:
oh yea?
better said behind than in your very before! your own kid? talk back at you? WTF?!
where were you raised ? in the wild?

so what's the difference between what was said behind you or in front of you? the only reason a child in nigeria will not talk back to his parents is because he would get thrashed not that he's not offended by the actions of his parents like his counterpart abroad....

got to balls to stand up to you and he is living under your roof and you feeding his rat a33?
what has the world turned into? no more morals? no respect for values? not even parents?

your child is human not an animal or a slave in the 6th century.

HONOUR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER IN THE LORD IS NOT IN YOUR BIBLE I SUPPOSE.

yet more hypocrisy....
in spite of the draconian corporal punishment and strict upbringing, nigeria still ships the highest number of pröstitutes to europe so what happened to the strict upbringing and the religious beliefs? make una dey deceive unaselves with the barbaric ways of raising a child!
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Ishilove: 5:35pm On Apr 05, 2013
onila: kids from lagos

children shld never be raised in lagos

all the children from Lagos , I know lack manners and are very rude
Bullshit.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by hardbody: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
bebe2: i didnt know the best way to structure the subject jare embarassed, but i know wat i want to ask grin

pple often assume that kids living abroad are spoilt. e.g my mum came to visit and she kept complaining my kids are spoilt. so and so cant wash dishes, so n so cries too much etc. children at home dnt behave like this u need to be firmer.
then i went home to visit and met my sister's kids (they live wit my mum), oh dear lord, the 6yr old was rotten he wanted his way and he got it. he would scream the house down. disobey u and runoutside as if to say come and chase me. my mum kept saying " may God deliver dis boy o" i cudnt keep to my self i had to confront my mum. she said no mind am o, na devil dey manifest himself. grin cheesy

wats ur opinion or experience

Review your post, you will find the answer to your question therein. If however you seek an opinion, I am not opinionated on this.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by coogar: 5:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
freecocoa: Coogar you haff lie here joor, I was termed a rude and stubborn child by my mum while growing up, I never even really talked back at her outrightly, it was usually a case of murmuring inaudible words with her asking "what was that?" with this very stern look on her face and me grudgingly saying "nothing ma" even while I felt like slapping her grin.

Them no born me well to walk out on her or go to the room and lock the door, which room you wan even lock?for her house? You must stand there and listen to whatever she\he had to say, the highest you could do as a rude child was give them what we called "eyeing" back then and that's mostly the case with rude Nigerian kids.

Even the ones who were bold enough to say some words back at their parents did so from a distance and usually stay far away as possible after that till the parents anger subsides or they even call neighbors or relatives to come plead on their behalf, hardly will you see Nigerian kids who stand face to face with their parents and insult them.

what you said or what you didn't say is irrelevant....
the key here is what you felt during those agonising moments of getting smacked. if you knew you would be protected by law if you talk back then you would use the advantage. the mind of a kid raised abroad and the one raised in nigeria is the same thing. the ones abroad press on the advantages they have cos the law protects them, the one in nigeria knows if he should call the cops, he would be the one that would be beaten by the cops as soon as his mother gives the cops a carton of lager beer!
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Ishilove: 5:43pm On Apr 05, 2013
ItsModella: Then again, it depends on how you train them. My aunty actually spanks the rubbish out of her kids. They know what's up, they know what's coming if they misbehave. Woe betide who go wan call 911 for that house.
Woe betide them indeed. Their case will be like my teenage cousin who came home with some naval guys to harass his family members. By the time they heard all what the naughty boy had been putting his family through, they turned on him and gave him thr beating of his life. grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
freecocoa: Coogar you haff lie here joor, I was termed a rude and stubborn child by my mum while growing up, I never even really talked back at her outrightly, it was usually a case of murmuring inaudible words with her asking "what was that?" with this very stern look on her face and me grudgingly saying "nothing ma" even while I felt like slapping her grin.

THIS IS MY LIFE grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by AjanleKoko: 5:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:
many nigerian kids growing up in the 90s saw all these foreign channels too and they were still a bit quiet in general than the kids abroad. it's not about what you see, it's what you do after watching those channels. how many nigerian kids have the chutzpah to talk back to their elders? none - the ones who tried it were beaten to stupor and it's still the same till date.

In the 90s, cable TV wasn't as pervasive as it is today, and the Internet didn't exist.
Now my children don't even watch TV, they watch their fav shows on YouTube, and they are both under seven.

Leave that not-talking-back story. Children in NG freely talk back to their elders. Maybe not like dem rotten oyinbo kids, but they're way more outspoken than they used to be. Now it is even frowned upon to beat children in Nigeria, in middle-class circles embarassed
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by GalaxyNoteII: 5:51pm On Apr 05, 2013

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Ishilove: 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
ItsModella: and the silly child was acting like he was some sort of victim...wonders.
Where I come from, it is abomination. You will be made to buy a goat and beg your parents with it. You will not eat from the same pot and they will never say a word to you until you perform some rites.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by 2legit2qwt: 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

everything is scripted......
they train them on what to say and how to feign all manners of expression.....believe those nonsense shows and you would believe anything. a little boy would slap his mother and she would not do anything? come on - there's no rule book that says a parent cannot smack her child......the key is use reasonable force!

That's what I used to think but my co-worker's friend actually went to jail and ended messing up his record. why? because he slapped his son and the boy's teacher asked him how he got the mark, the rest is history. People got to jail everyday and have their children taken away from them for something that simple, same way you'll slap a Nigerian kid.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by freecocoa(f): 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
coogar:

what you said or what you didn't say is irrelevant....
the key here is what you felt during those agonising moments of getting smacked. if you knew you would be protected by law if you talk back then you would use the advantage. the mind of a kid raised abroad and the one raised in nigeria is the same thing. the ones abroad press on the advantages they have cos the law protects them, the one in nigeria knows if he should call the cops, he would be the one that would be beaten by the cops as soon as his mother gives the cops a carton of lager beer!
Agreed the minds of kids are alike but contrary to what you believe, what one says or didn't say is very relevant, infact that's the bone of contention here sef, it might actually be all about the law after all yet the truth remains that, because there are no such laws in Nigeria, the kids here tend to behave better than the ones abroad, simples tongue.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by coogar: 6:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
2legit2qwt:
That's what I used to think but my co-worker's friend actually went to jail and ended messing up his record. why? because he slapped his son and the boy's teacher asked him how he got the mark, the rest is history. People got to jail everyday and have their children taken away from them for something that simple, same way you'll slap a Nigerian kid.

you cannot leave marks.....
once you slap hard enough to leave marks or bruises then you have stepped out of line. he is guilty as charged! in the UK, parents are allowed to smack with a reasonable force. don't leave marks or bruises.....there are ways of smacking kids without leaving those, smack the soles of their feet!

AjanleKoko:
In the 90s, cable TV wasn't as pervasive as it is today, and the Internet didn't exist.
Now my children don't even watch TV, they watch their fav shows on YouTube, and they are both under seven.

and these shows teach them to talk back at their elders or what's the essence of this point?

Leave that not-talking-back story. Children in NG freely talk back to their elders. Maybe not like dem rotten oyinbo kids, but they're way more outspoken than they used to be. Now it is even frowned upon to beat children in Nigeria, in middle-class circles embarassed

kids in nigeria don't talk back to elders...they cannot!
we saw a pastor openly slap a member of his congregation the other day, the pastor should come and try that in the UK/USA. nigerian kids are not raised to talk back, the few ones who do have simply refused to accept the home training given to them by their parents.

it's one thing to freely express one's mind and it's another to talk back when being dressed down by an elderly person. nigerian kids are timid in such situations and that's the exact reason we find it difficult to question the authority. i can agree they are now more outspoken than 20 years ago but it's still not good enough....

freecocoa: Agreed the minds of kids are alike but contrary to what you believe, what one says or didn't say is very relevant, infact that's the bone of contention here sef, it might actually be all about the law after all yet the truth remains that, because there are no such laws in Nigeria, the kids here tend to behave better than the ones abroad, simples tongue.

you really think they behave better?
look at the society very well and think again about the behaving better bit of your comments. really? so all those ones who break the law, yahoo boys, kidnappers, robbers, prĂ²stitution on the streets and even in our schools are from where? are they aliens? scratch that, what about our politicians who must have had stringent upbringing in the 60s, where did they learn the art of stealing public funds from? the mind boggles......

the nigerian kid is not better behaved than his counterpart abroad - he's just a good pretender.
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by freecocoa(f): 6:02pm On Apr 05, 2013
Galaxy.Note.II:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Duh!

Tell me which of us especially those raised in Nigeria didn't feel like slapping a parent when we were growing up?
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by freecocoa(f): 6:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
adaobi123:
THIS IS MY LIFE grin grin grin grin grin grin
Seems like you are my long lost twin. grin grin
Re: Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
freecocoa: Seems like you are my long lost twin. grin grin
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Wife Lied To Me About Her Age / Marriage Rules For The Digital Age / What Is The Right Age Or Time To Get Life Entirely Figured Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.