Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,023 members, 7,821,561 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

On Demonic Afflictions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On Demonic Afflictions (12719 Views)

Scriptures Expounded:Brethren In The World Also Suffer Afflictions-1Peter5:8-10 / Flesh Eater, Demonic Prostitute Exposed In Lagos Crusade(pics). / Smart Phones Are Demonic: A Nairalanders Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 04, 2013
Edit:
Morning everyone,
I wouldn't like to derail the sleep paralysis thread.

I'm no medical student, neither do I claim to have more than basic knowledge of common neurological terms. Hopefully, I'll learn a bit from this thread..

Considering most of the religious' stance on the aforecited thread, I have a few questions I would like answered:

Do you belive any form of neurological disease can be caused by demons/evil spirits?
Is there any way to tell if a stroke for example is caused by a demonic attack or fatigue?

Okay, make that 2 grin
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Lanrefahm(m): 6:16am On Apr 04, 2013
another question, we all know GOD is the one charge of all things dat angels cant do what he does and is very powerful my question is this, u claim dat jesus is GOD and he died 4 three days so whenhe died 4 three days who was in charge

1 Like

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by mumumugu(m): 6:55am On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto: Morning Rey,

I'm no medical student, neither do I claim to have more than basic knowledge of common neurological terms. Hopefully, I'll learn a bit from this thread..

Considering your stance on the aforecited thread, I have just one question for you:

Do you belive any form of neurological disease can be caused by demons/evil spirits?
Is there any way to tell if a stroke for example is caused by a demonic attack or fatigue?

Okay, make that 2 grin
when there iis no diagnosis .when doctor cant detect the cause
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto: Morning Rey,

Considering your stance on the aforecited thread, I have just one question for you:

Okay, make that 2 grin
I will try as much as possible here to be direct.
1. I wouldn't want to sound condescending, but I have to be blunt with you.
Your question number one is wrong. Muskeeto, the thing is, the moment anything is 'neurological' in operation, the question of being caused by a demon is unnecessary. It is like asking if Rickets can be as a result of the lack of Fats and oil.
2. To begin with, their has to be a focal point disturbance to the spinal cord exceeding 24hours, before we can say that that which is caused is stroke. So long we can explain stroke in this sense, as in, within the comfines of how the body anatomy works, phisiology, the stroke is scientific.
But when we can only suggest that which we termed stroke is supernaturally induced, when it doesn't follow the normal pathogenesis.

1 Like

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 04, 2013
Hmmm..

Question 1: Can demonic afflictions mimic neurological diseases? How do you differentiate both?

Question 2: I really don't get your answer. Are you saying that any symptoms or illnesses that go beyond the purview of current medical knowledge can be ascribed to be spiritual?

Btw, if my questions are wrong, feel free to point them out. No harm done.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto: Hmmm..

Question 1: Can demonic afflictions mimic neurological diseases? How do you differentiate both?

Question 2: I really don't get your answer. Are you saying that any symptoms or illnesses that go beyond the purview of current medical knowledge can be ascribed to be spiritual?

Btw, if my questions are wrong, feel free to point them out. No harm done.
This dude!
1. I don't understand why it has to be demonic for you. That aside, their is also another problem, my bro. What do you mean by demonic aflictions? Because to differentiate, I have to understand what I'm deviating from.
2. Spiritual? You're seriously trying to put words into my mouth.
What I can tell you here is that any termed disease which doesn't follow its natural occuring pattern but transcends it, is supernatural.

1 Like

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 04, 2013
End of thread. No further questions from me.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by dorox(m): 9:49am On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto: End of thread. No further questions from me.
Reyginus is not interested in answering you simple questions, he is only wants to convince himself that he won the argument.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by mazaje(m): 10:38am On Apr 04, 2013
Of course they have to believe that demons and evil spirit causes disease. . .Even in the bible all diseases are attributed to demons and evil spirits as the cause . .When ever a person is reported to be ill in most pats of the bible, evil spirits are claimed to be the cause, not micro organisms or organ and system failure. . .
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 04, 2013
dorox:
Reyginus is not interested in answering you simple questions, he is only wants to convince himself that he won the argument.
lol, ihedinobstyle
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto: End of thread. No further questions from me.
If you so wish.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Kay17: 4:00pm On Apr 04, 2013
mumumugu: when there iis no diagnosis .when doctor cant detect the cause

Regardless of the doctor's knowledge and skill?

And how do you defend against the God of Gaps theory
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Image123(m): 5:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
Yes to both questions in the op and that's all.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 04, 2013
musKeeto:
lol, ihedinobstyle

Yawn! When have I joined you guys in muscle-flexing? grin

On another matter, are we ever gonna discuss C S Lewis's book? I'm still waiting on you, you know.

1 Like

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 05, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Yawn! When have I joined you guys in muscle-flexing? grin

On another matter, are we ever gonna discuss C S Lewis's book? I'm still waiting on you, you know.
My apologies. Could you give me some time? Just downloaded the book, and this month up to the 3rd week of June would be a busy period for me...
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 05, 2013
Image123: Yes to both questions in the op and that's all.

As you are usually not up for any reasonable discussions (due to deep ignorance or inability to reason beyond 2 feet of a Bible), I'd share this story with you just in case you are not aware. It's the dangers of believing and being scared of shit that can neither be determined nor have any logical explanations..

The Bubonic Plague

Before the Black Death hit Europe, almost all things, especially elements of daily life, were under the influence of the church. In medieval times, even boiling an egg took “the time to say a prayer”. But the most important thing was that the church had always told people right from wrong. Since the afterlife was judged more important than the actual lifetime, it was considered essential to be given the last rites and to confess sins before dieing to be sure of salvation.

When the plague arrived, people believed it to be a punishment of God. Therefore, they often turned to the Church for help. But since the priests and bishops could not actually offer a cure or even an explanation, the Catholic Church lost a lot of its influence and for many people, their view of the world changed drastically.

People reacted differently to the mysterious disease. While some people turned to contrition and prayed for salvation, others turned to debauchery and increased sinful behaviour; they argued that nothing mattered anymore if everyone was to die anyway. Superstition, scapegoats, religious fervour and fanaticism were only some of the things that were considered a possible solution to the problem of the Black Death. Some believed that ringing the church bells (which was done in all kinds of crises) would drive the disease away. Others expressed their feelings and thoughts about death and the afterlife in art (like poetry, sculpture or painting). Yet another way to cope with the Black Death was shown up by the flagellants. But even with different reactions, everyone felt the wave of fear, hysteria and panic that swept over Europe and that even the almighty Church was unable to stop.

Flagellant processions started in 1348. These men travelling from town to town hoped to be purged in order to stop the “wrath of God” by whipping themselves with leather thongs. Usually, the men were welcome in the towns because the represented a major event in the otherwise dull city life. In 1349, the movement clashed with the Church at Rome, since both claimed to have found the only right way to be purged from sins. When the plague diminished in 1350, the processions vanished almost as quickly as they had appeared.

On the one hand, the flagellants are seen as fanatics that actually spread the plague even further because they carried the dangerous bacteria with them. But on the other hand, they might have helped the people to cope with the Black Death. Many citizens had lost their friends and families and needed a way to purge of guilt and anger or just a diversion from all the suffering. And it is said that some people did confess their sins or gave back stolen goods because the flagellants made them regret. Finally, there were miraculous tales like those of a child being revived from the dead or a talking cow. They encouraged the idea that flagellants were more effective than church leaders and gave the people something they could still believe in.

The formerly good reputation of doctors and priests declined as they did not know what to do.

They experimented with different measures and while some of them actually did help, most of them only added to the confusion. And even though there are some stories about doctors and priests caring for the sick selflessly, there were far more about those who deserted their posts, about doctors who only told people to go to confession and about priests that refused last rites.

Most of the clergy that had not fled their posts contracted the deadly disease when taking care of its victims. With fewer priests but more and quicker deaths, Pope Clement VI was forced to grant remission of sins to all who died of the Black Death and allowed confession to one another or „even to a woman”.

But the sick and the dead were still not properly cared for concerning religious matters. There were too many bodies so that mass graves were dug. These were against the teachings and beliefs people had had before. But they did not know any other solution and often just did not care about those teachings anymore, since the plague seemed to show that they had not been right.

The new priests after the epidemic were often less educated and more inexperienced than their predecessors. This also led to a worse reputation of the church.

Another important aspect was that the church became richer. On the one hand, there were lots of bequests to the Church. On the other hand, the church started to charge money for some of their services.

So overall, there were three big aspects leading to a decrease of belief in the Church. First, there was the failure to help the suffering, then the incompetence of the new priests and finally the wealth while everyone else was suffering.

Since there had been neither help nor explanation from the Church, nor had promises for cures been kept, people started to question religion or even started to revolt against the church. These were the seeds for the Reformation.

Of all the Church members lost during and after the time of the plague, not all were actually victims of the disease. Some only turned away from the church that had always seemed powerful but could not offer any help at the time of an enormous crisis.

History - recorded for our learning..
Compare with our current Nigerian situation and tell yourself the truth. No matter our religious/non religious beliefs, we can't keep blaming government. Unlike China and some other countries, our access to internet is not restricted. When answers are provided for scary phenomena, we should not just cast them away because they do not fit into our 'spiritual' knowledge...

Anyways, how we go do? This world is not your own abi?
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 05, 2013
dorox:
How some of our so-called 'intelligent' atheists think. How can one win an argument which is yet to take a solid foundation when it's not even all about winning?
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 05, 2013
mazaje: Of course they have to believe that demons and evil spirit causes disease. . .Even in the bible all diseases are attributed to demons and evil spirits as the cause . .When ever a person is reported to be ill in most pats of the bible, evil spirits are claimed to be the cause, not micro organisms or organ and system failure. . .
Lol. Leave the bible alone and address the topic.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by cyrexx: 11:02am On Apr 05, 2013
^^
Reygie, the new Anony. You have mastered how to dodge artfully. Where did you get your idea/belief that demons cause those things, if not from the bible.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Walexz02(m): 11:28am On Apr 05, 2013
Uhmmm!
This questions are not answerd the way they should.....and that is the problem with chriastian folks, instead of them to give you answers to your questions, they continue beating around the bush...smh!
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 05, 2013
Walexz02: Uhmmm!
This questions are not answerd the way they should.....and that is the problem with chriastian folks, instead of them to give you answers to your questions, they continue beating around the bush...smh!

You're Muslim, right?

Feel free to answer. I'll edit the topic..
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 05, 2013
Reyginus: I will try as much as possible here to be direct.
Funny now I read it for the second time.... Lol
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 05, 2013
By the way, this thread might go a long way to confirm suspicions I've had for some time.

Satan is just a bad guy. Little is known about him, or his role, as well as his legion of demons, on Earth. From the Christian pov, its much easier to argue the existence of God than discuss his counterpart/rebel Satan. Satan is just an excuse for our deviation from God's supposed will.

Is Satan God's alter ego? Can He gain access to the human mind just like God?
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by ijeoma100: 12:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
"Demonic afflictions" are just words made up by the ignorant to describe a medical condition that they haven't a clue about. Because a doctor can't diagnose/cure a disease doesn't mean it's caused by demons - medical science has never claimed to know everything and death and disease are inevitabilities of life.

The only reason why "demons" are so rampant in Nigeria is because religion prospers when people are afraid and the church coffers grow fat. The myth is continually being spread by ruthless "men of God" and is hungrily being lapped up by gullible Nigerians.

If the health service in Nigeria was better and doctors were more able to diagnose and treat, then all this nonsense about demonic afflictions and all the other types of superstitious garbage would've been a thing of the past.

7 Likes

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by cyrexx: 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijeoma100: "Demonic afflictions" are just words made up by the ignorant to describe a medical condition that they haven't a clue about. Because a doctor can't diagnose/cure a disease doesn't mean it's caused by demons - medical science has never claimed to know everything and death and disease are inevitabilities of life.

The only reason why "demons" are so rampant in Nigeria is because religion prospers when people are afraid and the church coffers grow fat. The myth is continually being spread by ruthless "men of God" and is hungrily being lapped up by gullible Nigerians.

If the health service in Nigeria was better and doctors were more able to diagnose and treat, then all this nonsense about demonic afflictions and all the other types of superstitious garbage would've been a thing of the past.

GBAM!

The nail has finally been hit on the head.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Richieboyn: 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
Shallow thinking...
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
neurological diseases are neurological diseases. And demonic attacks are demonic attacks. Those are two different things.

4 Likes

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FXKing2012(m): 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
musKeeto:
Demons attack people with all sorts of evil such as accidents, failures, diseases, sicknesses, etc etc which is why we need to be close to God in order to remain immune to the devil's attacks. Remember "we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, and rulers of darkness, in high places..."
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
No joke here!

I studied demonlogy and learnt how to summon a demon of the 72 geotia spirits named amy/avnas....

Err, in all I believe demons are in charge of certain mishaps! undecided

N.B- I'm a christian o! Jst a really curious person grin
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by iamswizz(m): 3:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FXKing2012(m): 3:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
carr96:
I studied demonlogy and learnt how to summon a demon of the 72 geotia spirits named amy/avnas....
I'm sorry to break it to you but you are already possessed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your Beliefs / What The Bible Say About Sports! / Adeboye Shops For $20m Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.