Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,090 members, 7,825,442 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways (31410 Views)

Each Time I Travel On Benin-ore Express Road, I Can't But Say God Bless GEJ / Nightmares On Benin-ore Road Before Goodluck's Tenure; See What GEJ Has Done! / The Benin-Lagos Expressway Has Finally Been Fixed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2013
silica: Have you noTiced that these accidents happened on road that were recently mended or constructed. It brings to mind the assertion of the FRSC that accidents happens more on good road. Maybe we should all review how we drive especially on smooth roads and clear high ways. We must begin to take responsibility for our cations and not finding ways to blame the govt. or GEJ

If you believe this then you can believe anything. Are you kidding me? Accidents happen more on Good roads? In short I don't think you have ever driven a vehicle before.
Causes of Accidents are as follows in no paticular order
1. Poorly designed roads
2. Overspeeding
3. Bad driving (drunk driving, dozing while driving, inexperienced drivers, impatience etc)
4. Poor inter-visibility
5. Weather conditions and road way drainage

1 Like

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by TUBLEZ(m): 10:50am On Apr 06, 2013
THIS IS A BAD STORY
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by bookface: 10:50am On Apr 06, 2013
Orikinla: [size=15pt]ILLITERACY IS ACTUALLY THE CAUSE OF MOST ROAD ACCIDENTS IN NIGERIA.
MAJORITY OF THE DRIVERS ON NIGERIAN ROADS ARE LARGELY UNEDUCATED.[/size]

Education does not stop accidents from happening. Good roads and enforced laws do.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 10:56am On Apr 06, 2013
Nigerian roads are bad and heavily used. There is urgent need for effective railway routes through out these regions where the roads are dangerous for commuters. I still can't see the reason the government hasn't put railway system among top priorities on the nation infrastructure development. Indeed, this accident calls for reconsideration of the railway line and make that route one of the importance that needs construction immediately.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 06, 2013
bblacky: D bad road and d illiterate drivers = lose of life. May de rest I??n?? peace
U r wrong its d evidence of good roads that causes more accidents cos drivers overspeed. eg Benin-Ore road and Onitsha Owerri road is are very smooth roads.

1 Like

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by fr3do(m): 11:05am On Apr 06, 2013
vivichocs: is this y u quoted d whole write up ??

what's wrong with quoting the whole write up
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by cold(m): 11:10am On Apr 06, 2013
JstBrave: Awesome God!!! i passed thru dt same road (Benin-Ore expressway) on Thur. I almost postponed my travellin to d following day (d day d incident happened). I wud av bin among d victims. God, I return all d Glory 2u!
So this Sunday your testimony would go something like this 'i almost put off my journey till Friday but the omnipotent God who sees everything compelled me to travel the day before. And on that fateful Friday there was a ghastly accident involving several trucks and a luxury bus and close to a 100 people were burnt to death but the ancient of days,the merciful God saved my life. Praaaaaiiiisssseeee tha Lawd! With a recurring echo..'Hallllleeeellluuyaaa! Vigorously smdh! sad
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Afritop(m): 11:20am On Apr 06, 2013
THE MOST ANNOYING THERE IS THAT THE PRESIDENCY WILL NOT SHOW ANY REMORSE ABOUT THE WHOLE INCIDENT. No probe will not even be constituted, talkless of consoling the families of the victims so far it is not a plane crash and no govt or prominent official is involved
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by goldng: 11:28am On Apr 06, 2013
RIP to the dead.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by blessedmayor(m): 11:28am On Apr 06, 2013
surely in d next census,there wud be high num of death rate.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Haslad(m): 11:36am On Apr 06, 2013
Nija wit bad news again, may almighty God help us ooo.......R.I.P to the victims.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Rimbaldi: 11:38am On Apr 06, 2013
berem: 110 People Die In Multiple Accidents On Benin-lagos,onitsha-owerri Expressways

A major road crash involving a Truck, a Tanker and a Luxury bus occurred at about 1:00 p.m. on Friday, today at Ugboguii Village on the Benin-Ore express road, the Federal Road Safety Corps is reporting.

No fewer than [b]110 people [/b]died yesterday in multiple accidents on Benin-Lagos expressway and Onitsha-Owerri expressway. This is coming barely one week after 18 persons perished in an auto crash on Lokoja-Abuja road. In the Benin-Lagos expressway accident, over [b]80 persons [/b]were roasted to death in multiple accidents involving a trailer, tanker, luxury bus and other vehicles, while in the Onitsha-Owerri road accident about 30 people lost their lives when a trailer collided with two mini-buses at Ihiala.

Saturday Sun gathered that among the dead in the Benin-Lagos expressway accident are the driver of the trailer, his assistant and [b]57 passengers [/b]in the luxury bus and occupants of other vehicles affected. Three passengers of the luxury bus, who survived the accident, were badly burnt. According to eyewitness, the accident occurred at Ugbogui, near Ofosu, in Ovia South-West when a cement-laden trailer reportedly had a burst tyre and rammed into a petrol tanker carrying fuel. The fuel tanker had hit a fully loaded luxury bus, which burst into flames.

It was gathered that the spillage of petrol on the road had set other vehicles on fire, including commercial and private cars. About 20 other vehicles were burnt in the process. At the accident scene, there were charred bodies of the passengers in the carcass of the burnt luxury bus and other vehicles. Some passengers in other vehicles, who had got down, were seen shedding tears over the horrible death of the victims. The accident had caused a heavy traffic jam, as personnel of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) stopped vehicular movement on both sides of the expressway to avoid further disaster.

Confirming the story, an official of FRSC, who pleaded anonymity, explained that the trailer was coming from Lagos, while the tanker and luxury bus were travelling in the opposite direction. FRSC personnel and the police had mounted rescue operation at the scene of the accident. The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, while the road was being cleared to create a thoroughfare for vehicles. Also, firefighters, who later arrived the scene of the accident, battled to put out the fire caused by the explosion of the tanker.

A passenger, who was travelling to Lagos from the East, said they were stuck in traffic for close to four hours because of the accident. "We were in one spot for about four hours. Movement on both sides of the road was stopped by FRSC. We had to make a detour through a bush path, through villages to cross the scene of accident," he said. In a related development, 30 persons lost their lives, while six others sustained various degrees of injury yesterday, when a trailer collided with two mini-buses at Ihiala, on Onitsha-Owerri expressway.

The two commuter buses, which were said to belong to Rivers State Transport Company, were heading for Onitsha from Port Harcourt when the accident occurred at Ihiala in Anambra State, along the ever-busy Onitsha/Owerri expressway, Anambra State. The trailer, it was gathered, was joining the expressway, after offloading crates of beer when the two buses rammed into it.

Thirty passengers died on the spot, while some others sustained injury. When Saturday Sun visited the scene, the vehicles involved in the accident were lying there, while officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and policemen were taking the dead to the morgue, while the injured were rushed to nearby hospitals. Commenting on the incident, Chairman of Ihiala branch of Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Chief Emmanuel Egbunonu, expressed shock at the spate of auto accidents in the area.

He appealed to the Federal Government and the FRSC to help the communities along the expressway. He also advised motorists to always observe speed limits and traffic rules in order to minimise accidents on the road.

http://m.naij.com/news/30072.html

@ bolded
the news crew should get their facts right before rushing to the prints. The said luxury bus contained 30 passengers as it was a small luxury bus not all those big luxury bus. At least the manifest provided for FRSC shows 30 names, some didn't include phone number nor next of kin number. R.I.P. to the departed.

Nothing will be done to fix the road as has been the case for many years unless a govt official dies there, and chances of that happening is very slim as they can pay anything to bump a passenger off a flight and get the ticket. They don't use our highways, but one day one day...
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by turenshi(m): 11:49am On Apr 06, 2013
I am sick and tired of these Tanker+ bus accident, are we the only country transporting petrol inter-state.. All these need to stop it's becoming unbearable. I pray non of us will be a victim and to those who av been involed may their soul R.I.P.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by MiloRambaldi(m): 11:50am On Apr 06, 2013
Rimbaldi:

@ bolded
the news crew should get their facts right before rushing to the prints. The said luxury bus contained 30 passengers as it was a small luxury bus not all those big luxury bus. At least the manifest provided for FRSC shows 30 names, some didn't include phone number nor next of kin number. R.I.P. to the departed.

Nothing will be done to fix the road as has been the case for many years unless a govt official dies there, and chances of that happening is very slim as they can pay anything to bump a passenger off a flight and get the ticket. They don't use our highways, but one day one day...

According to eyewitness, the accident occurred at Ugbogui, near Ofosu, in Ovia South-West when a cement-laden trailer reportedly had a burst tyre and rammed into a petrol tanker carrying fuel. The fuel tanker had hit a fully loaded luxury bus, which burst into flames.

Seems cause was largely poor driving and poorly maintained vehicles. To be fair to state and FG, some improvements can be seen in roads. Improvements seriously needed in enforcing speed limits and vehicle roadworthiness.

2 Likes

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Symphony007: 11:51am On Apr 06, 2013
tomakint: The rate of incessant accidents during and after festive periods are perennial malaises as far as Nigeria is concerned and they are traceable to the negligence of duties on the parts of our so-called leaders! May the souls of the departed R.I.P!
leaders? Nigerians are so in love with government they belive it is the reason, cause and solution to everything. If you actually went through the article, you'll see it's the stupidy and recklessness of some nigerians that caused it, but no matter what happens, government is to blame.

3 Likes

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Yujin(m): 11:56am On Apr 06, 2013
991: RIP to the dead
Quick recovery to the injured,
Sincere condolence to the victims families.

this is sad news. O God have mercy.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 06, 2013
What makes me really angry about Nigeria is that we never learn from our mistakes or history.....

This accident, where a tanker carrying inflammable spirits and get involved in a collision is so frequent, yet we've never come up with a solution on how to put an end to it.....

What we only do is pray and condole the victims.... After a while, another accident of even bigger magnitude occurs....

No be the same God wey make the Oyinbo also the same God wey make us?

The only difference between us and Oyinbo is just that Oyinbo people are practical and are good at solving problems with their hands and minds.....

The solution to this problem is simple, if greed and corruption permit us to execute it.....

1..... Let us build more railway tracks..... ( Americans have been using railway tracks to carry inflammables since mid 19th century). More railway tracks will safely carry goods and people to and fro, thus de-congesting our roads...

2....All heavy vehicles and buses carrying more than 10 passengers at a time be restricted to a maximum speed limit of 70mph... Vehicles carrying inflammables should be restricted to 60mph and should have a designated lane on our motorways.

3.....We also need to build more pipelines and oil depots.... This would ensure that the distance in which an oil tanker travels from a depot to a filling station is greatly reduced...If well executed, oil tankers should only travel at most, 30 miles from a depot to a filling station. Our armed forces should look after our oil installations. Presently, they are doing nothing in their barracks.. Let's get them out to patrol all government installations and shoot any vandal on sight.

4....Our roads need proper maintenance and good markings..... Do we have hard shoulders on our motorways? are there lines and symbols explaining to road users how the roads ought to be used?

5.....We need proper rescue and emergency patrol teams, trained to respond to disasters within minutes.... Some people that witnessed the accident said that they had to wait for 4 hours for the wreckages to burn out..... A self proclaimed giant of Africa has no fire fighting team that could put out flames at one of her major motorways?

6....Just as we build motorways, we also have to build alternative roads that can be used in the event of accidents or slow traffic... At least there should be 3 routes that ought to lead out of Lagos... We currently have one major route.. God help you when there is an accident on that road and churches are doing their services along the road..

7....There should be a law that states that if your vehicle breaks down on a motorway and you can fix the problem within 30 mins, your vehicle should be towed away by Police. You will then be slapped with a release fee fine. This would ensure that motorist will take proper precaution to look after their vehicles when embarking on long journeys

Cars will be charged N20,000

Buses carrying Passengers will be charged N50,000 (Passengers will then be provided with alternative bus by the Transport Police, and driven to the nearest bus station around that area to find their way).

HGV charged N150,000.

Another alternative to number 7 is that we ensure that every motorists across the federation registers with a rescue patrol organisation. If your car breaks down, you call them and if there is no response within 45 mins, Transport Police tows your vehicle away, and slap you with a fine....

We have to ensure that our motorways keep moving and free of any obstructions.

8...We have re-evaluate our we give licenses to drivers and whether due processes are followed..

9... Someone earlier mentioned breathalyser test.... Yes, that ought to be frequently carried out on our motorists.

2 Likes

Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Kezzy24(f): 12:07pm On Apr 06, 2013
Very terrible!May their souls rest in peace.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nicepoker(m): 12:24pm On Apr 06, 2013
jhydebaba: This country is not just safe. Everything u want to do u have to pray and commit it to God. Is it that we are that religious NO! It's news like this that calls for over-religiousness.
Had it been we live in a sane country where everything works, where u can even sleep off while driving, how many people would remember to pray before traveling

Too bad, RIP to the departed souls.
cos of man made disaster u say the country is not safe. How about countries that witness both human and natural disasters wat wil u term such a country
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by otokx(m): 12:29pm On Apr 06, 2013
Its so funny when Nigerians based outside Nigeria talk about issues inside Nigeria. The disconnection is so much that one does not but help and smile. The people here are used to the wrong mentality that we only deserve what comes our way. I have friends who drive in Nigeria with a valid drivers license but have been failing consistently for the last 5 years the driving test in the UK. Our saving grace for now is that night travel has been banned and our roads are still bad, once they roads get good you guys would do well to come and set up mortuary businesses because cars will be tired of hitting other cars and will start ramming into houses and kiosks on the road.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by SHABZ: 12:29pm On Apr 06, 2013
@obo_man,so buses with more than 10 passengers should b restricted to 70mph Are u kidding me?
And WTF do u mean by vehicle breakdown charge? My friend b rational... Then d govt should build alternative roads in case of accidents;so when there's no accident,what happens to the alternative roads Please think b4 u post,no offense...
@others, the trailer tyre reportedly burst and ure blaming d govt Smh
RIP to the dead
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 06, 2013
boko haram at work
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2013
@shabz

70mph is not so bad
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by pat4love: 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2013
May their soul rest in peace.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Angel778(f): 12:46pm On Apr 06, 2013
Soooooo sad!!! R.I.P to the dead
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Summersland(m): 12:46pm On Apr 06, 2013
It's tru ooo guy,d acident's 2 much may God protect us wherever we're goin 2
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 06, 2013
We got past the area where the fatal accidents happened but cut out through the villages nearby. We could only see a very thick smoke ahead and definetely look horrific. God keep saving us all. Amen!
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by SHABZ: 12:51pm On Apr 06, 2013
otokx: @shabz

70mph is not so bad
Boss,ABC transport doesn't exceed 90,and u get to spend the whole day on the road when travelling... I patronize them though, but 70?? Haba
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by ylaa(f): 12:54pm On Apr 06, 2013
I WILL SAY THIS IS OVER SPEEDING AT WORK. MAY GOD RECIEVE THIER SOULS. IT IS QUITE SAD.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 06, 2013
Banned by ogugua88 in Celebrities for off topic. Ban expires on8:43pm
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 06, 2013
This is one of the reason i cried when Aero was grounded. That benin -lagos and onitsha road i don't think that there is a single day that accidents don't happen on that road.
Re: 110 Die In Accidents On Benin-Lagos & Onitsha-Owerri Expressways by rman: 1:11pm On Apr 06, 2013
SHABZ:
Boss,ABC transport doesn't exceed 90,and u get to spend the whole day on the road when travelling... I patronize them though, but 70?? Haba

70mph is like 120kmph, it is ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aminu Tambuwal Meets With Bola Tinubu (Photos) / Reps In Free-for-all As Gbajabiamila Suspends Plenary / Buhari Welcomes Commonwealth Election Monitoring Team In His Abuja Office.photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.