Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,138 members, 7,835,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Wesley Snipes Released From Prison - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wesley Snipes Released From Prison (20574 Views)

Omg!!! First Pictures Of Jarule After Being Released From Prison / Is Wesley Snipes A Nigerian? / Breaking News: Baba Suwe Released From Ndlea; No Drugs Found! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Charis07: 11:53am On Apr 07, 2013
Scarpon: I don't even know he was locked up
me too
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Reference(m): 12:13pm On Apr 07, 2013
Cowboy43: Why didn't he escape in the prison has he always did in his movie?

Hmm. Gud kweshun.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by cap28: 12:14pm On Apr 07, 2013
cold:
If it is legal then it cannot be a crime. Obama has been struggling to close such loopholes and end the Bush Tax cuts but the GOP won't let him. So there you go

The multi millionaire owner of BHS (british home stores) Philip Green evaded tax to the tune of £1billion while a british worker earning more than £32K pays 40% of their income in tax - sounds pretty fair doesnt it?

Obama cant close the US tax loopholes as the beneficiaries of these loopholes are the same people who donated millions of dollars towards his election campaign when he was running for president - You don't bite the fingers that helped you into the corridors of power.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by cold(m): 12:38pm On Apr 07, 2013
cap28:

The multi millionaire owner of BHS (british home stores) Philip Green evaded tax to the tune of £1billion while a british worker earning more than £32K pays 40% of their income in tax - sounds pretty fair doesnt it?

Obama cant close the US tax loopholes as the beneficiaries of these loopholes are the same people who donated millions of dollars towards his election campaign when he was running for president - You don't bite the fingers that helped you into the corridors of power.
Now you're being disingenuous. That was his campaign rhetoric. He ran on closing tax loopholes for the rich,ending the Bush tax cuts and giving everyone a fair shake. And he won. Please always come level with the public. The large corporations and super-pacs like the Koch brothers were all for Romney.
As for Philip Green,Barclays and co. I reiterate,if it's not illegal it is not a crime. We might look at the morals of it & agree it's definitely not fair but life isn't fair anyways

1 Like

Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
Wesley Bobo, he came out looking better than he was when he went in. Simply love this guy...aging handsomely
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by ozonaija(m): 12:41pm On Apr 07, 2013
How many of our nigerian celebrities dey [b][/b]pay their tax. USA no dey smile oooh
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by ElPhenomenal(m): 12:52pm On Apr 07, 2013
The daywalker is back,all vampires should go back into hiding
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by tppzzy01(m): 1:24pm On Apr 07, 2013
Welcome sir. Waiting for ur new release which will contain ur experience in prison. Missed u
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by cap28: 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2013
cold:
Now you're being disingenuous. That was his campaign rhetoric. He ran on closing tax loopholes for the rich,ending the Bush tax cuts and giving everyone a fair shake. And he won. Please always come level with the public. The large corporations and super-pacs like the Koch brothers were all for Romney.
As for Philip Green,Barclays and co. I reiterate,if it's not illegal it is not a crime. We might look at the morals of it & agree it's definitely not fair but life isn't fair anyways

I'm glad you referred to it as campaign rhetoric - what you campaign on before you get into office and what you actually do when you are in office are two very different things - has Obama deliverd on any of his promises to close tax loopholes for the rich? i think you will find that the answer is a resounding no. Lying to the public does not equate to "coming level with them"
By the way why are you in support of tax loopholes for the rich - arent you just an ordinary joe like everyone else? surely only the rich should support govt policies that benefit them ? Poor nigerians are the only group of poor people i know who support policies designed to keep them poor and further enrich the rich.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Emmyk(m): 1:28pm On Apr 07, 2013
Wow. I'm glad he's back.. Seem all like a year ago when he was locked up, where is that thread on NL sef?
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by free2ryhme: 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2013
GO AND SIN NO MORE
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by cold(m): 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2013
cap28:

I'm glad you referred to it as campaign rhetoric - what you campaign on before you get into office and what you actually do when you are in office are two very different things - has Obama deliverd on any of his promises to close tax loopholes for the rich? i think you will find that the answer is a resounding no. Lying to the public does not equate to "coming level with them"
By the way why are you in support of tax loopholes for the rich - arent you just an ordinary joe like everyone else? surely only the rich should support govt policies that benefit them ? Poor nigerians are the only group of poor people i know who support policies designed to keep them poor and further enrich the rich.

I'm sure you followed the whole fiscal cliff brouhaha and how the POTUS refused to shift ground until the GOP made concessions.With extremists like Republicans how can you ever get anything done when the standard answer to anything is 'No'!Even gun control!
I am not in support of tax loopholes for the rich.I wonder how you deduced that from my comments.I'm just stating the facts as they are.Lying maybe morally wrong but in most cases is not a crime.Adultery is morally wrong but is not a crime and so on & so forth.I am a 99 percenter who would like and continue to advocate a total overhaul of the system.But it is what it is..albeit pathetic
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by linearity: 1:58pm On Apr 07, 2013
cap28:

It still shouldnt be breaking news

Im not a fan of Wesley Snipes but i think he was used as a scapegoat - there are so many US corporations that do not pay tax eg Amazon and Facebook.

@cap28
Yes, Snipes was used as a scapegoat, the IRS can not possibly go after every single case of tax fraud or people not filing...they go after the big buck to make a statement...they also try to avoid going to court, Snipes did himself in by arguing that, the US tax code is unconstitutional and that he is a non resident alien of the US and as such not subject to the US tax codes...had he settled with the IRS, he would not only avoid prison, he would have negotiated down his tax obligation and even setup a payment plan...

That said, you are wrong in comparing Amazon, Facebook, etc to this situation. Certain people are excluded from federal income tax filing (state could be different, depending on the state) based on age, filing status and income level...had Snipe made an income less than $9k, he would have been excluded from filing his taxes, the government was able to prove he made millions in those years he refused to file his taxes and he also made fraudulent & fictitious filings in certain years in order to obtain a millions of dollars bigger return from the IRS.

Also, filing taxes and eventually having a tax obligation of $0.00 due to credits, deductions, offsets, etc is not the same as not filling your taxes or filing fraudulent and fictitious taxes. Amazon and Facebook file taxes each year; they are both publicly traded companies and as such their tax filing is one of the financial records they must keep.

Now it is possible for them not to pay anything for reasons indicated above, that is not a crime...there are millions of households in the US who have a negative tax obligation each year - i.e. the IRS sends then a check each year after they file their taxes...these checks is a net income to them, because they either did not pay into the system by way of tax withholding or the IRS check is greater than their withholding.

1 Like

Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by changeagent(m): 2:02pm On Apr 07, 2013
cold:

They legally evade tax through tax loopholes & Tax deductions such as executive stock options.
Anyways, I'm a big fan of WS & i'm glad he's out
you don't legally evade tax,you only avoid tax legally and it is punishable. Tax evasion is a crime.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Jerry2i(m): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2013
Never knew he was in prison.
He is among the best in hollywood,from Blade to Art of war
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by cold(m): 2:24pm On Apr 07, 2013
changeagent: you don't legally evade tax,you only avoid tax legally and it is punishable. Tax evasion is a crime.
Yeah i concur.I was only trying to drive home a point but I get the drift

1 Like

Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by deols(f): 3:27pm On Apr 07, 2013
Does anyone know the time when this guy came to Nigeria and was given a chieftaincy title?

Even El Rufai hosted him in Abuja then. and they hyped him like he was some lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by tomzman: 3:37pm On Apr 07, 2013
Welcome back to the normal world WS. Hope he would continue his acting.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2013
Welcome back bro.
Hope you learnt your lesson.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by kwajahafiz(m): 4:37pm On Apr 07, 2013
chelseabmw: He's Old
and ur young..
very young perhaps.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by meforyou1(m): 4:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
3 years in prison for tax evation? Not that he even committed murder or any serious crime
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by redsun(m): 6:06pm On Apr 07, 2013
A good inspiration for him for another good movie.

In so many ways,he is a victim as a successful blackman in america.A successful blackman who probably was not an uppity.A soldier.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by dnative(m): 6:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
broke the law, found guilty by a court of law and promptly sentenced. did his time like every other convict and now released and will move on. cased closed. no more no less.

on the other hand, you may subject the above to your intepretations - scapegoat, another successful blackman being put down by the man ... and the list could go on and on.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by GeneralJ(m): 7:14pm On Apr 07, 2013
masonkz: 50, Still looking fine as hell. I always loved watching his movies. I do hope something went down with other prisoners while he was there. cheesy

Nigga You gay??
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by redsun(m): 7:39pm On Apr 07, 2013
dnative: [size=8pt]broke the law, found guilty by a court of law and promptly sentenced. did his time like every other convict and now released and will move on. cased closed. no more no less.

on the other hand, you may subject the above to your intepretations - scapegoat, another successful blackman being put down by the man ... and the list could go on and on.[/size

If you think about how many thing lindsay lohan gets away with,you wont help but think he is a victim.
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by greenbiz(m): 8:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
He served 3 yrs imprisonment just for evading a 2 year tax? The Judgement was harsh and biased undecided .. There are thousands of pple in America who evade tax everyday!!! That judge must be one helluva sadist cool
Nevertheless, Mr Hollywood is Back! *bottle cork pops*
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by ibro360(m): 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2013
Rap maestro: Chai, i don dead see irugbon, na Osama dash dis guy small 4 prison? Anyway, back to d topic, Their Prison dey sweet na.. 'No water-logged beans{A.K.A EWA OLÓMI$I$AN}..
guy e b lyk say u don serve jail sentence for home n abroad
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 07, 2013
GeneralJ:

Nigga You gay??

Got a problem with that??
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by crisycent: 9:55pm On Apr 07, 2013
welcome to freedom
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Revolva(m): 10:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
Welcome back wesley pipes opps snipes!! Ma bad...this Tiv man..make sure you come collect jazz for makurdi ...oo !!! We get enuff babes foor u to nak..
Re: Wesley Snipes Released From Prison by Rapmaestro(m): 10:54pm On Apr 07, 2013
ibro360: guy e b lyk say u don serve jail sentence for home n abroad
i say na craze man be this... Chorus: craze man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DJ Disappoints Upcoming Artiste Ashidapo On Stage / Reekado Banks: Girls Like Money, You Can Deceive Them With It / Pictures From African China's Traditional Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.