Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. (8357 Views)

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health / 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) / 10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2013
This is scary.

Medical reports have it that instant noodles is not good for the body due to it's high salt content, and can cause hypertension. (reference vanguard news for this report)

A brand of instant noodles listed these as ingredients: iodized salt, sodium polyphosphate, sodium carbonate, monosodium glutamate (621)...etc

Whoa! Look at all that sodium! Even table salt (sodium chloride) is only advised in very small quantities. And advised against for hypertensive patients.

Also, another of it's (instant noodles) ingredients - guargum - functions just like propylene glycol (I guess). It is used as a thickening agent, as it readily absorbs water.

It would bind with liquids in the stomach and swell, causing a feeling of satisfying fullness. This swollen mass could also cause dangerous intestinal and duodenal blockages. It is readily absorbed and accumulates in the heart, liver and kidneys causing abnormalities and damage. It is also capable of weakening the immune system. (all from google)

Naija, wetin we go do? Our children and adults find instant noodles enjoyable. It is fast becoming a staple food.

Perhaps, pharmacists or biochemists in the house can enlighten us more. What threats do we really face from this 'guargum' and other 'potentially dangerous' ingredients found in instant noodles?

3 Likes

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 6:55pm On Apr 07, 2013
We can always substitute noodles for spaghetti ... Wholemeal spaghetti is very healthy and can be combined with other foods for variety. Instant noodles, I believe, are a quick fix and instant and any food that is that instant will be ladened with addictive s and preservatives in order to make it palatable and "instant".

Instant noodles are also very fattening!

I don talk my own o x

1 Like

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2013
Is there no 'guargum' in spaghetti? What about 'em numerous sodium compounds?
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 2:28pm On Apr 08, 2013
fluid26: Is there no 'guargum' in spaghetti? What about 'em numerous sodium compounds?

Good quality Spaghetti should only contain wheat and water as it is just a type of pasta. If it is a flavoured pack (which I have never seen before really - except in noodle forms) then it may contain the sodiums OP mentioned above more or less. It is always best to look at the back of the products you buy and examine the ingredients. Buy and cook your spaghetti and make is the tastiest dish ever with spices in an everyday kitchen. Much healthier and yummier than indomie or any other instant noodles.

Hope this helps!
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
BTW...I'm 100% behind your thread. very informative.

1 Like

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by degurl(f): 2:34pm On Apr 08, 2013
As scary as it may sound, those sodium salts are in scanty quantities. that is why you don't get to add salt to your noodles.

Besides noodles have been in the market for as long as one can remember and I haven't read or heard of a case of death caused by high salt in noodles.
If the sodium salt content is considered harzardous to our health, nafdac would stop its production and distribution.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2013
akuji, are you a nutritionist?
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
degurl: As scary as it may sound, those sodium salts are in scanty quantities. that is why you don't get to add salt to your noodles.

Besides noodles have been in the market for as long as one can remember and I haven't read or heard of a case of death caused by high salt in noodles.
If the sodium salt content is considered harzardous to our health, nafdac would stop its production and distribution.

degurl, believe me when I say NAFDAC is oblivious to many ills in the food and beverage industry.

The Sodium compounds may be in minute quantities per pack, but let's look at an annual rate of consumption. Let's say 600g of instant noodles a week (for an average consumer), that gives 31200g a year. Interpolate that with the given quantities per pack, it's overwhelming.

My point is that the effect may not be immediate. It may take months or years to develop. Plus, you won't hear cases of instant deaths, just hypertension. And those affected may not even know the cause.

U grab?

2 Likes

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by AKO1(m): 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thanks for this thread.

I've become very wary of "instant" foods that are meant to compensate for your busy or lazy lifestyle. Just the other day a chef was telling me about how liquid marinades are packed with harmful preservatives.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 4:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
fluid26: akuji, are you a nutritionist?

Haha...I'm not a nutritionist. I do love food though and hence very food aware.

You are right tho. You ain't gonna die instantly from eating instant noodles (no pun intended). It's the cumulated effect along with other risks our bodies are exposed. Our life expectancy in Nigeria is very low compared to some countries out there. I know there are other contributing factors such as robberies, kidnaps, Boko Haram...

But the fact remains that sometimes we do not note what we eat and you ll hear that someone suddenly slumped and died. The next thing you hear is people citing diabolical powers and juju.
But it MAY simply be as a result of all the shaqing and enjoyment wey we don enjoy finish wey come now dey pursue us.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2013
lol @ slumped and died. Guy you funny sha.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by 4tunebest(f): 9:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
We should be more concerned about the deep-fat frying method used in noodle processing which makes it 'instant'. This poses a health risk of its own.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 11:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
4tunebest: We should be more concerned about the deep-fat frying method used in noodle processing which makes it 'instant'. This poses a health risk of its own.

Ladies and gentlemen... As we can now see that instant noodles should really be placed in the "treats" section of foods along with chicken and chips, pizza, etc etc (you get the gist)...lol

The point is...it should be a once a week consumption if you must eat it. Not a daily 3 x a day kinda food. I do love the taste and quickness of them though. So addictive and yummy but truth be told...they are innocent looking sinners
cool
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
akuji: The point is...it should be a once a week consumption if you must eat it....

Hmmm...what about little children that take it to school like 2 to 4 times a week? As it is what their parents/guardians can afford.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by degurl(f): 3:36pm On Apr 09, 2013
@fluid, I grab wella. You did make a very valid point with your explanation and also the guy that said something about the deep fried method used for pre-cooking it in the factory. It all boils down to the accummulative effect for those who consume it in excess. All the same, I like eating indomie cause of the varieties of ways you can prepare it. I just bought carrot, green pepper, peas etc for preparation of delicious and yummy Indomie. lol.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
Hahaha...try add corned beef, e dey make sense wella. That one sef get im own salt wahala sha. Lol.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 9:25pm On Apr 09, 2013
fluid26:

Hmmm...what about little children that take it to school like 2 to 4 times a week? As it is what their parents/guardians can afford.

If that's all they can afford then I guess they don't have a choice. Sometimes people drink garri 3 x a day because that s the only thing they can afford. Obviously continuing along those lines is bound to give one kwashiorkor. But if it can't be helped then it can't. I think maybe ppl with more food choices should vary their food whenever they can. Besides 2 out of 7 days ain't all bad. 4 days though with a kid eating indomie is a little worrying lol. It ll be healthier and more filling to give them agege bread and groundnut for school pack lunch lol. Oh well. Each to their own. :-)
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by RichCampbell: 12:11am On Apr 20, 2013
Hello fellow Nigerians,
I am very pleased to take part in this area of topic tonight regarding your arguments, different opinions about instant noodle consumption in the country,
First instant noodle is not that much advisable to be consumed regularly like it's done in our country Nigeria,but in a country like Nigeria whereby our graduates
are not putting the case of food development & production in their study agenda,there is no option for our people there than to eat this junk instant noodle.
And again Nigeria is on the top 12 position in the world in instant noodle consumption, because in the food production sector in the whole of west
Africa the know how for food innovation is not there.There are thousands of reasons why we are today still lacking much in that country.
Instant noodle has glutamate and this has the function that you don't get enough of this shit thing,adding that instant noodle is been fried people take in
Fat unknown to them,getting big stomach letting them get lazy,not thinking something better than buying and selling.
So for this reason I will like to inform you guys out there if anyone of you has some money and want to go into food production business in the area of
Pasta,a different sort of pasta already existing in our country please contact me in Germany and we will organize something good for
Our fellow citizens for cheap money.
All about pasta is my section lets get it done in our country,feel free to contact me
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by RichCampbell: 12:11am On Apr 20, 2013
Hello fellow Nigerians,
I am very pleased to take part in this area of topic tonight regarding your arguments, different opinions about instant noodle consumption in the country,
First instant noodle is not that much advisable to be consumed regularly like it's done in our country Nigeria,but in a country like Nigeria whereby our graduates
are not putting the case of food development & production in their study agenda,there is no option for our people there than to eat this junk instant noodle.
And again Nigeria is on the top 12 position in the world in instant noodle consumption, because in the food production sector in the whole of west
Africa the know how for food innovation is not there.There are thousands of reasons why we are today still lacking much in that country.
Instant noodle has glutamate and this has the function that you don't get enough of this shit thing,adding that instant noodle is been fried people take in
Fat unknown to them,getting big stomach letting them get lazy,not thinking something better than buying and selling.
So for this reason I will like to inform you guys out there if anyone of you has some money and want to go into food production business in the area of
Pasta,a different sort of pasta already existing in our country please contact me in Germany and we will organize something good for
All about pasta is my section lets get it done in our country,feel free to contact me
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 21, 2013
Bros, I no understand. Na advertisement you dey do?
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by dominique(f): 8:47am On Apr 21, 2013
fluid26: Hahaha...try add corned beef, e dey make sense wella. That one sef get im own salt wahala sha. Lol.

abi o. Lols, whenever i add corned beef to fry my eggs, I tell myself; this stuff can kill ya! But i love it none the less cheesy
@topic, all that salt cant be good for us,thats why i hardly cook the noodles and when i do, i dont use more than half of the seasoning at a time. If only we can find healthier alternatives.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by 4tunebest(f): 1:53pm On Apr 21, 2013
Rich Campbell: Hello fellow Nigerians,

I am interested in your idea 'cos i made use of composite technology to produce protein-enriched noodles and other types of pasta as a postgraduate research. The product was very nice and people really liked it. Interestingly, i am still producing and selling them, although on a small scale. How do I contact u?
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 21, 2013
dominique: If only we can find healthier alternatives.

There are alternatives, but they are not as 'instant' as desired by the vast majority of consumers. smiley
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by dominique(f): 11:02pm On Apr 21, 2013
^^^ that's the problem. If only we can find a healthier replacement that's equally as cheap and just as easy to cook.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by 4tunebest(f): 10:13am On Apr 23, 2013
dominique: ^^^ that's the problem. If only we can find a healthier replacement that's equally as cheap and just as easy to cook.

There is, but it ain't cheap. The one i make is three times the price of the ones available in the market, but then, the nutritional value surpasses the ones obtainable in the market.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 10:23am On Apr 23, 2013
4tunebest:

There is, but it ain't cheap. The one i make is three times the price of the ones available in the market, but then, the nutritional value surpasses the ones obtainable in the market.

Are you a pasta/noodle manufacturer? Good for you if you are though... Kindly give us your website so we can go and have a look at the healthy alternatives. grin
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by 4tunebest(f): 12:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
No, not selling in large scale. I make small quantities and sell only to people within my vicinity, church and office. I am okay with that for now. Thanks for your interest.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Prettychiz4real(f): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2013
This is where nutrition education comes in. We, Nutritionists keep telling people that your diet can make or mar your health. Like this kinda post. Noodles are made from refined Durum wheat whose germ and bran containing B-vitamins has been removed. The best thing is to supplement the noodles with protein sources and vegetables when cooking it and stop adding that monosodium glutamate in that little satchet.

1 Like

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 24, 2013
Hmmm...are you saying that the addition of protein sources cancels out the excessive sodium salts contained in the noodles? Don't they function differently? I know you're aiming at striking a balance in nutrient content, but I disagree that there is any cancellation or neutralization.

Also, know that the excessive salt content is not restricted to the seasoning powder (which contains monosodium glutamate amongst others), it is also present in the noodles itself. Pick up a brand pack and see for yourself.

What about the 'guargum'? Any bypass?

Again, the introduction of these extra sources of protein is somewhat far-fetched for the average consumer; and if it is graciously provided, the cooking process is not so 'instant' anymore.
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by akuji: 4:16pm On Apr 25, 2013
Prettychiz4real: This is where nutrition education comes in. We, Nutritionists keep telling people that your diet can make or mar your health. Like this kinda post. Noodles are made from refined Durum wheat whose germ and bran containing B-vitamins has been removed. The best thing is to supplement the noodles with protein sources and vegetables when cooking it and stop adding that monosodium glutamate in that little satchet.

I guess I understand what she s trying to say. Basically if you can't cut it out entirely then try to introduce other sources of nutrients to it whilst cooking n eating it. It is not to neutralise the poor nutrients quality of noodles but to enhance the nutrients u r getting in that meal and to bulk it out slightly. As you guys are aware, one packet of noodle can never satisfy a fully grown adult male or female. You always feel the need to cook at least 2 packs. And one pack alone contains a third (if not more) of your daily food intake. So if u need two or more packs then u r eating ur allowance for breakfast and lunch all in one go...so in order to bulk it out without the excess calorific intake...add protein and lots of vegetables. You ll feel fuller for longer (as I have experienced, u tend to become hungry after a few hours of eating noodles).

Oh and guys...please don't confuse indomie noodles and the like for let's say..stir fry noodles...cos those ones are actually much healthier. Heck the Chinese eat it a lot and how many times have you seen a fat Chinese person. And they usually live to be very old too. We are talking mainly "instant" noodles. smiley
Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by konami001: 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2013
Seriously, i was just about to create a new thread on this and then decided to search Nairaland if someone had, and there it is....

Everyone here will do good to read this Malaysia Consumer Report...

The Consumers Association of Penang (CAP) calls on consumers to avoid eating instant noodles as it is harmful to health. Studies have shown that high sodium consumption is linked to a variety of diseases such as hypertension, heart disease, stroke and kidney damage.

In 2004 Malaysians consumed 870 million packets of instant noodles but by 2008 it had increased to more than 1,210 million packets. This is an increase of nearly 40 percent during the period of 4 years.
Instant noodle is a highly processed food that lacks nutritive value. It is a junk food. Every single serving of instant noodle is high in carbohydrates, sodium and other food additives, but low on essential elements such as fibre, vitamins and minerals.

According to the Codex Standards (FAO standards) for instant noodles, acid regulators, flavour enhancers, thickeners, humectants, colours, stabilizers, anti-oxidants, emulsifiers, flour treatment agents, preservatives and anti-caking agents are allowed to use in the making of instant noodles.

24 of the 136 listed additives in the Codex Standards are sodium salts. And the use of sodium additives is the main reason why instant noodles are high in sodium. High-sodium foods can cause hypertension, heart disease, stroke, kidney damage and other health problems.

Tests conducted by CAP on 10 samples of instant noodles found three samples to contain sodium above 1,000 mg. The average amount of sodium found in the samples was 830 mg. According to the current US Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of sodium for adults and children over 4 years old is 2,400 mg/day. Consumption of instant noodles can easily cause excessive sodium intake as sodium is commonly used in our other daily foods especially from processed and hawker foods.

Another health concern is the reported leaching of dioxin and other hormone-like substances from the plastic container of the cup noodle. As hot water is added harmful substances could seep into the soup.

One of the major concerns with instant noodle is that it can produce oxidised fat and oil if it is not managed properly during the manufacturing process. This is of concern if the cooking oil is not maintained at the proper temperature or the oil is not changed as often as necessary.

Instant noodles are coated with wax to prevent the noodles from sticking together. This can be seen when hot water is added to the noodles. After some time the wax can be seen floating in the water.

The Codex Standards also allow the use of 10,000 mg/kg of the chemical propylene glycol, an anti-freeze ingredient as humectants (help to retain moisture to prevent noodles from drying) in instant noodles. Propylene glycol is readily absorbed and it accumulates in the heart, liver and kidneys causing abnormalities and damage. The chemical is also capable of weakening the immune system.

Instant noodles and the flavouring soup base also contain high amounts of monosodium glutamate (MSG). It is a flavour enhancer used by instant noodle makers to make their shrimp flavours ”shrimpier” and beef flavours “beefier”. MSG can trigger an allergic reaction in 1 to 2 % of the population. Individuals who are allergic to MSG can get burning sensations, chest and facial flushing or pain and headaches from it.

High sodium consumption is linked to stroke or kidney damage. In Malaysia, there are an estimated 13,000 kidney patients undergoing dialysis. Every year 2,500 people join the ranks of end-stage renal failure patients. Six new cases of stroke occur every hour in Malaysia.

Some of the chemicals found in instant noodles are also capable of causing cancer. For example, dioxin and plasticisers leached from the containers in the presence of hot water. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) ,at least 30 percent of all cancers could be prevented through simple measures such as adopting a healthy diet. Instant noodles are definitely an unhealthy diet which consumers should avoid.

In view of its unhealthy nature, the Consumers Association of Penang calls on the Ministry of Health to launch a campaign to highlight the dangers of instant noodles, which is a popular food among Malaysians.

For the sake of their health consumers should opt for more wholesome food.

http://www.consumer.org.my/index.php/food/nutrition/132-stay-away-from-instant-noodles-to-keep-healthy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instant Noodles: Not Exactly Healthy. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
Na wa o embarassed

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mcdonalds In Nigeria: I'm Loving It! / Would Eating Akamu Everyday Make One Fat? / What Special Food And Drink For Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.