Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 (45472 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Queen Elizabeth And Buhari To Attend Ogunwusi's Coronation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dayokanu(m): 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dayokanu(m): 4:52pm On Apr 08, 2013
[img]http://my2bucks.files./2009/11/bow-eisenhower.jpg[/img]

US president Dwight Eisenhower bowing to French president De gaulle
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 4:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
President Bush and the Queen of England

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 4:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
President Bush and the Emperor of Japan..

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by remarkD(m): 4:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
nwando: Looks like he must also stink under all those rags

Dear Nwando:

I dont know if you already noticed, but I am a big fan of yours smiley embarassed a while back, I was desperately looking to find out what happened to you as you seemed to have disappeared from nairaland, and i was away for a while too before coming back (to mainly read posts) and saw you werent there. My heart wassad and I didnt know how to "follow" you (if you had gone to another forum or other social media) ...

I dunno what else to say, am a lil embarassed saying it, but you brough lots of laughter into my days back then (and even now still lol) i remember cause i was under a lot of stressback then as it was my first experience of obodo oyibo and trying to adjust was not as easy as i had thought, but coming to nairaland gave me a lot of comic relief..... not only am i attracted to intelligent women whom are knowledge on a variety of topics, but having a sense of humor, a wicked one for that matter, and dishes it out to any that tries to undo your button (of your blouse) was just a kicker for me.

I will like to contact you privately... but only if that is okay with you. I am not a creep, but i understand this is not the usual way to meet and be friends with people... hope you reply... smiley
Lots of love... from one of your fans on nairaland.

The one and only Remark D

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dayokanu(m): 4:58pm On Apr 08, 2013
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 5:00pm On Apr 08, 2013
remark D:

Dear Nwando:

I dont know if you already noticed, but I am a big fan of yours smiley embarassed a while back, I was desperately looking to find out what happened to you as you seemed to have disappeared from nairaland, and i was away for a while too before coming back (to mainly read posts) and saw you werent there. My heart wassad and I didnt know how to "follow" you (if you had gone to another forum or other social media) ...

I dunno what else to say, am a lil embarassed saying it, but you brough lots of laughter into my days back then (and even now still lol) i remember cause i was under a lot of stressback then as it was my first experience of obodo oyibo and trying to adjust was not as easy as i had thought, but coming to nairaland gave me a lot of comic relief..... not only am i attracted to intelligent women whom are knowledge on a variety of topics, but having a sense of humor, a wicked one for that matter, and dishes it out to any that tries to undo your button (of your blouse) was just a kicker for me.

I will like to contact you privately... but only if that is okay with you. I am not a creep, but i understand this is not the usual way to meet and be friends with people... hope you reply... smiley

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dayokanu(m): 5:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dayokanu(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08, 2013
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
[size=16pt]HEY ST.UPIDS! YOU MONKEYS HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF COURT MATTERS!

WHEN A FEMALE MONARCH, i,e., A QUEEN, MEETS A MALE ROYAL COUNTERPART OR MEMBER OF NOBILITY IS THE MALES DUTY TO HALF-BOW BEFORE HER AS A SIGN OF GENTLEMANNESS AND COURTESY! EVEN IF THE KING OF SPAIN, OR HAPSBURG-AUSTRIA, ETC., MEETS A QUEEN, HE MUST BE THE 1ST TO SHOW SIGNS OF COURTESY!

AS FOR THE GLOVES, THAT IS THE CUSTOM OF MOST EUROPEAN ARISTOCRATS, JUST AS IT IS THE CUSTOM AMONG YORUBA OBAS, TO VEIL THEIR FACES, AND IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES OF WEST AFRICAN ROYALS, TO WEAR AIR FILTERS ON THEIR NOSE, etc.

AS FOR THE ATTIRE, IT IS SPLENDID AND IT WAS BRAVE OF THE OBA TO WEAR IT WITH FULL PRIDE AND DIGNITY IN FRON OF THE SUITED AND BOOTED BRITS.

AS FOR BOWING TO THE NIGERIAN PRESIDENT OR MEETING HIM OUTSIDE THE PALACE, THE PRESIDENT IS NOT A MEMBER OF ROYALTY (usually) AND HE IS A COMMONER ELECTED DEMOCRATICALLY TO SERVE THE PEOPLE, AND NOT A HEREDITARY MONARCH.[/size]

9 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by naptu2: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

WHEN A FEMALE MONARCH, i,e., A QUEEN, MEETS A MALE ROYAL COUNTERPART OR MEMBER OF NOBILITY IS THE MALES DUTY TO HALF-BOW BEFORE HER AS A SIGN OF GENTLEMANNESS AND COURTESY! EVEN IF THE KING OF SPAIN, OR HAPSBURG-AUSTRIA, ETC., MEETS A QUEEN, HE MUST BE THE 1ST TO SHOW SIGNS OF COURTESY!

AS FOR THE GLOVES, THAT IS THE CUSTOM OF MOST EUROPEAN ARISTOCRATS, JUST AS IT IS THE CUSTOM AMONG YORUBA OBAS, TO VEIL THEIR FACES, AND IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES OF WEST AFRICAN ROYALS, TO WEAR AIR FILTERS ON THEIR NOSE, etc.

AS FOR THE ATTIRE, IT IS SPLENDID AND IT WAS BRAVE OF THE OBA TO WEAR IT WITH FULL PRIDE AND DIGNITY IN FRON OF THE SUITED AND BOOTED BRITS.

AS FOR BOWING TO THE NIGERIAN PRESIDENT OR MEETING HIM OUTSIDE THE PALACE, THE PRESIDENT IS NOT A MEMBER OF ROYALTY (usually) AND HE IS A COMMONER ELECTED DEMOCRATICALLY TO SERVE THE PEOPLE, AND NOT A HEREDITARY MONARCH.[/size]

Very good reply.

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Ossaifamous(m): 5:42pm On Apr 08, 2013
this pix show say E never tay wey edo ppl begin wise

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Symphony007: 6:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu: Obama bowing to the emperor of japan

[img]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0128759fd303970c-800wi[/img]
the only reason obama bowed to the emperor of japan is because bowing is the official way of greeting in japan..so don't think it's anything special or awesome!!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Symphony007: 6:20pm On Apr 08, 2013
dayokanu:

That is the Number 1 man in the world bowing to the King of Saudi

It doesnt take much to know people who wake their parents up with kicks
what nonesense!! This was at a reception of G20 leaders at buckingham palace hosted by queen elizabeth. Obama was greeting the saudi king and accidentally dropped something. Can't you see the people around him are looking down with him? Groass misinterpretation!!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GalaxyNoteII: 7:45pm On Apr 08, 2013
pleep: Dafuq?.... dis nigga look like they pulled him out a drainage pipe. lipsrsealed

Lmfao grin
Dude, da Bleep is wrong with you grin
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GalaxyNoteII: 7:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
Is that Pa AWolowo in the 2nd picture? smiley
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GalaxyNoteII: 7:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
isale_gan2:

Osisi/Babymama/Nwando,

You not only hate Yorubas and Muslims with virulent passion, you also hate all African cultural heritage.

You are hands down the sickest poster on this site.

If you really are a woman, I pity your children.

And if you are indeed in the health care profession, I pity your patients.

Seek help. You are mentally and emotionally damaged.

Lol ......the bythc is one deranged toothless puzzie of Biafra. No respect for any other culture but the one that unfortunately turned her to the monster she is.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GalaxyNoteII: 7:51pm On Apr 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Thank you for this brilliant post smiley
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by jude33084(m): 8:33pm On Apr 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=16pt]HEY ST.UPIDS! YOU MONKEYSYouR PAPA HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF COURT MATTERS!

Apart from that, ₪ice post wink
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by babanaba: 9:10pm On Apr 08, 2013
There is a particular tribe in Nigeria,they know themselves.They are very quick in opening their mouths to say stupid things and they keep getting into trouble.There is nothing good that ever comes out of other tribes according to them.They come here to say all sort of silly stuffs about the Oba.In real life they wont dare say anything to a Bini not to talk of the Oba.
Now ,the Oba is(was) a wise man ,there must be a reason he did bow.
As for the regalia..Maybe the reason it is was one of his Grand fathers' belongings that survived the massacre of 1896.Maybe he wanted the Queen to know that the Kingdom is till alive ..No one knows the particular reason...
So you people be careful.And that is why you guys have the shortest life span in Nigeria.You know yourselves...
You come here to make fool of yourselves.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by mafioso2(m): 9:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
babanaba: There is a particular tribe in Nigeria,they know themselves.They are very quick in opening their mouths to say stupid things and they keep getting into trouble.There is nothing good that ever comes out of other tribes according to them.They come here to say all sort of silly stuffs about the Oba.In real life they wont dare say anything to a Bini not to talk of the Oba.
Now ,the Oba is(was) a wise man ,there must be a reason he did bow.
As for the regalia..Maybe the reason it is was one of his Grand fathers' belongings that survived the massacre of 1896.Maybe he wanted the Queen to know that the Kingdom is till alive ..No one knows the particular reason...
So you people be careful.And that is why you guys have the shortest life span in Nigeria.You know yourselves...
You come here to make fool of yourselves.

Lol....Spot on Bro

And Apart from that, That Regalia is made of Bead all through real beads which we Binis are know for[b]

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 08, 2013
If I dress reach like this as Oba, mehn! I no go commot for palace comesee anybody. Even if na president of Jupiter, you must come my caban come postrate. This attire is respect on its own.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by maclatunji: 9:46pm On Apr 08, 2013
kandiikane:
grin

Sharrap!

Yes ma!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by maclatunji: 9:47pm On Apr 08, 2013
ocman: If I dress reach like this as Oba, mehn! I no go commot for palace comesee anybody. Even if na president of Jupiter, you must come my caban come postrate. This attire is respect on its own.

LOL. Na small remain make pepper enter my head.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by plasgidy: 11:50pm On Apr 08, 2013
this oba atire is among why the oyibo dey see us like say we come from venus or jupiter, how can he rap him self with that beans bags in such a hot weather, we jacky self na waooo.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by bokohalal(m): 12:06am On Apr 09, 2013
That same attire had been part of the 'spoils of war' that the British took when they invaded and conquered Benin Kingdom in 1897. It was returned just after the coronation of Oba Akenzua11. It is recorded that on beholding and touching the attire,The Omo n Oba had danced publicly and sang "ogi gbe eni,sagelemayo".
The historical and political significance of that attire cannot be grasped by uncultured people.
Shymexx,dayokanu,pagan9ja and co.,thank you.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by PhysicsQED(m): 12:39am On Apr 09, 2013
Just now seeing this thread. I have to say that I am surprised at the number of derogatory comments about the late Oba Akenzua II's attire. undecided

The comments of people like nwando/babyosisi and ifihearam are not surprising, since their antipathy to anything concerning the Edo is already known, but I'm a bit surprised by the comments from so many others, and even from people I thought were brighter than that.

As someone who has seen a lot of images of monarchs, elites, nobility, etc. from the past and the present day, I think that the red beaded regalia of the Oba of Benin is not merely one of the best in Nigeria, it's one of the best in Africa and the wider world. But this is something that is clear to me because I have actually looked at the attires and clothing of many African and non-African rulers from the past and the present - something which I think a lot of the people commenting negatively here have not done.

Ironically, some of those making derogatory comments about "masquerades" might be from groups where the leaders, rulers, elites, elders, rich men etc. simply adopted or attempted to adopt some European clothing (and not always successfully - some of them did not look impressive, to say the least) or wore little at all. I say "might" because a lot of people haven't even bothered to look at the old images of chiefs, kings, elites, etc. from different parts of Nigeria, and they might be totally clueless about whether the monarchs, nobility, elites, or elders among their people looked regal and stately, as the Obas of Benin did and still do, or looked more like nobodies with little cultural creativity and no sense of style.

Others that are mocking the attire would probably be surprised to know that the same Europeans and Westerners whose clothing they probably see as ideal today were writing about how the Oba of Benin's beaded regalia was magnificent (as it definitely was and is, regardless of whether they had acknowledged that) even centuries ago, and are still writing about its regal appearance today.

And kudos to all those who had positive comments in here - clearly not everybody on NL is devoid of appreciation for African culture.

7 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Balkan(m): 1:00am On Apr 09, 2013
remark D:

Dear Nwando:

Dear mark D an Igbo lady would not want to have anything to do with you uncircumcised Yoruba man. She is not your class. Go and look for fellow dirty Yoruba ladie. She is not interested.

I know you will deny your tribe now.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by pleep(m): 2:07am On Apr 09, 2013
Maybe the problem arises because of the photo... in black an white the guy looks like he is wearing a hideous mud-brown netted sack.

There is no way of knowing that the clothing was actually a much better looking red.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by mydi(f): 2:48am On Apr 09, 2013
U may not get d beauty of d attire cos d pic is in black and white, but d oba's attire is really beautiful. And dose lowlife's badmouthin him who are been ruled by any body in deir community with cash better watch dat deir devil forsaken mouth!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

U re d true son of Ur father.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Say Good Morning In Your Language / Other Names For A Fool In Yoruba / Bunch Of Plantain Spotted With 'Juju' Tied On It To Scare Off Thieves In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.