Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,312 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 (45530 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Queen Elizabeth And Buhari To Attend Ogunwusi's Coronation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by tubolancer(m): 3:31am On Apr 09, 2013
ShymmexLion: Mi bomboclart queen fi love dem Afrikan men yanoe.

Jah save weh queen. Dun noe.

Mi fi get some rum, ginger beer, and jerk chicken cuh mi know seh everything up there afi nostalgic.

Mi fi celebrate wit mi bludclart queen. dun noe.
pass me the ganja.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:18am On Apr 09, 2013
naptu2:

Very good reply.
Galaxy.Note.II:

Thank you for this brilliant post smiley
jude33084:

Apart from that, ₪ice post wink
ighoosagie:
U re d true son of Ur father.

Thank You very much Messrs. just doing my duty towards an upholder of our faith and culture. cool

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by CaptainGo: 9:14am On Apr 09, 2013
Okija_juju: That Oba is a Biitchass!! angry angry angry angry

Why is he bowing to the Queen?! angry

He even left his palace to meet her at the Airport?!

She is shaking him with her gloves on sef!!

Yet his foolish Grandson would not even come out to see the President? angry

#Typical Nigga Mentality!! angry

There are a couple of things they won't teach u in school. Consciously make efforts to be smart.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Apr 09, 2013
CaptainGo:

There are a couple of things they won't teach u in school. Consciously make efforts to be smart. Things don't often come in black n white. Grow up n learn about the shades of gray! Okija_Juju, ur post is DUMB

Ok!!

Thanks for responding...

I still think your Oba acted like a little biitchass Nigga!!
The Queen will not even help him book a taxi in the U.K let alone come to the airport to pick him up.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Soloblincus(m): 11:21am On Apr 09, 2013
Okija_juju: White men bowing to Idi Amin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/768958_Idi_Amin_jpg3363b2aea30a8eb48976d3cdd99316d6
lol, idi ami na their mate?
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Damoche10: 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2013
That was Obafemi Awolowo at the back of the picture....
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by ezotik: 12:58pm On Apr 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

Ok!!

Thanks for responding...

I still think your Oba acted like a little biitchass Nigga!!
The Queen will not even help him book a taxi in the U.K let alone come to the airport to pick him up.

kai, internet good sha coz e no get how that ur mouth for not at least chop slaps for dis ur idiotic comments.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by adoniza(m): 1:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
plasgidy: this oba atire is among why the oyibo dey see us like say we come from venus or jupiter, how can he rap him self with that beans bags in such a hot weather, we jacky self na waooo.

LooOOoooOoOoOOOOoooooooOl
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by adoniza(m): 2:05pm On Apr 09, 2013
Soloblincus: lol, idi ami na their mate?

what is going on here?
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by dealslip(f): 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2013
Is that shaki on baba awo's shoulders? Never new he was an ogboni fraternity member.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by bukatyne(f): 4:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

They are both royalty in their own rights and one had no business bowing to the other..

It has nothing to do with her being a woman.

She also bowed to him too
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by bukatyne(f): 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
isale_gan2: It is too bad the Omo N'Oba bowed, but what do we expect; those racist colonial bastards tried to do away with that kingdom and many others.

But there is nothing wrong with his traditional kingly attire when you see it upclose. It is regal and resplendent.

Have some pride in your culture for God sakes!

What does the bolded mean?
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by MacLovington(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2013
Thank you for trying to educate people that A WHOLE EDUCATION SYSTEM has failed to educate. I hope your effort won't be in vain. The sight of the royal regalia is impressive. It has impressed Europeans for over 500yrs so much that they even looted it in 1897.

Not everybody has a formidable and world-renowned history, so no wonder if envy is causing jealousy which is now manifest in derogatory comments.

I respect royal institutions and I can never say bad things about any King or Queen, dead or alive. But then that may be because I love history and value my culture and traditions albeit their imperfections.
Some have no culture let alone one to respect or value.

PhysicsQED: Just now seeing this thread. I have to say that I am surprised at the number of derogatory comments about the late Oba Akenzua II's attire. undecided

The comments of people like nwando/babyosisi and ifihearam are not surprising, since their antipathy to anything concerning the Edo is already known, but I'm a bit surprised by the comments from so many others, and even from people I thought were brighter than that.

As someone who has seen a lot of images of monarchs, elites, nobility, etc. from the past and the present day, I think that the red beaded regalia of the Oba of Benin is not merely one of the best in Nigeria, it's one of the best in Africa and the wider world. But this is something that is clear to me because I have actually looked at the attires and clothing of many African and non-African rulers from the past and the present - something which I think a lot of the people commenting negatively here have not done.

Ironically, some of those making derogatory comments about "masquerades" might be from groups where the leaders, rulers, elites, elders, rich men etc. simply adopted or attempted to adopt some European clothing (and not always successfully - some of them did not look impressive, to say the least) or wore little at all. I say "might" because a lot of people haven't even bothered to look at the old images of chiefs, kings, elites, etc. from different parts of Nigeria, and they might be totally clueless about whether the monarchs, nobility, elites, or elders among their people looked regal and stately, as the Obas of Benin did and still do, or looked more like nobodies with little cultural creativity and no sense of style.

Others that are mocking the attire would probably be surprised to know that the same Europeans and Westerners whose clothing they probably see as ideal today were writing about how the Oba of Benin's beaded regalia was magnificent (as it definitely was and is, regardless of whether they had acknowledged that) even centuries ago, and are still writing about its regal appearance today.

And kudos to all those who had positive comments in here - clearly not everybody on NL is devoid of appreciation for African culture.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

Ok!!

Thanks for responding...

I still think your Oba acted like a little biitchass UNCLE TOM Nigga!!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by eokocha: 10:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
Menhh that babe better remove that glove and shake a mans hand. Was too happy when michelle obama shook her hand!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Crayola1: 11:03pm On Apr 09, 2013
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Crayola1: 11:22pm On Apr 09, 2013
The Yoruba ones didn't show up Weird. What are Kings called in the SW again, Obas seem to not give that many pictures?
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 4:02am On Apr 10, 2013
remark D:

Dear Nwando:

I dont know if you already noticed, but I am a big fan of yours smiley embarassed a while back, I was desperately looking to find out what happened to you as you seemed to have disappeared from nairaland, and i was away for a while too before coming back (to mainly read posts) and saw you werent there. My heart wassad and I didnt know how to "follow" you (if you had gone to another forum or other social media) ...

I dunno what else to say, am a lil embarassed saying it, but you brough lots of laughter into my days back then (and even now still lol) i remember cause i was under a lot of stressback then as it was my first experience of obodo oyibo and trying to adjust was not as easy as i had thought, but coming to nairaland gave me a lot of comic relief..... not only am i attracted to intelligent women whom are knowledge on a variety of topics, but having a sense of humor, a wicked one for that matter, and dishes it out to any that tries to undo your button (of your blouse) was just a kicker for me.

I will like to contact you privately... but only if that is okay with you. I am not a creep, but i understand this is not the usual way to meet and be friends with people... hope you reply... smiley
Lots of love... from one of your fans on nairaland.

The one and only Remark D

I am so flattered by this

Thank you dear for the kind words
Glad to know I made you laugh at a difficult time in your life
I left for a while and returned in December
See you around,I will be looking out for your comments too
I hope things are better for you now
Stay focused and keep your eyes on the ball
All things are possible with God.
As usual I take no prisoners with the eediots around here wink
What can they do?
Absolutely nothing
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 4:08am On Apr 10, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: I hope dem fumigate this Oba with enuuuuf insecticides and pesticides before e see the Queen? The guy just be like mobile sanctuary for rodents and insects... lipsrsealed

Farmer fit kukuma position the Oba for corn field as scare-crow...no bird go near grin

Abi o
The Oba looks like he should be in a cartoon
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by yuzedo: 11:48am On Apr 10, 2013
This thread is JOKES, yo! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Okijajuju1(m): 11:49am On Apr 10, 2013
nwando:

Abi o
The Oba looks like he should be in a cartoon

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by yokiti: 3:02pm On Apr 10, 2013
OC cool: All u haters badmouthing d oba's attire, why don't you upload pics of ur traditional rulers with their attires, if they won't look like glorified native doctors.

I dont know how some people got this level of dishonour. How are you doing brother? See you at the conference latter in the month.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2013
1 shortblackboy: Nna mehn see baff up!! shocked
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GotNoBrainsYo: 11:50pm On Apr 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=16pt]HEY ST.UPIDS! YOU MONKEYS HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF COURT MATTERS!

WHEN A FEMALE MONARCH, i,e., A QUEEN, MEETS A MALE ROYAL COUNTERPART OR MEMBER OF NOBILITY IS THE MALES DUTY TO HALF-BOW BEFORE HER AS A SIGN OF GENTLEMANNESS AND COURTESY! EVEN IF THE KING OF SPAIN, OR HAPSBURG-AUSTRIA, ETC., MEETS A QUEEN, HE MUST BE THE 1ST TO SHOW SIGNS OF COURTESY!

AS FOR THE GLOVES, THAT IS THE CUSTOM OF MOST EUROPEAN ARISTOCRATS, JUST AS IT IS THE CUSTOM AMONG YORUBA OBAS, TO VEIL THEIR FACES, AND IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES OF WEST AFRICAN ROYALS, TO WEAR AIR FILTERS ON THEIR NOSE, etc.

AS FOR THE ATTIRE, IT IS SPLENDID AND IT WAS BRAVE OF THE OBA TO WEAR IT WITH FULL PRIDE AND DIGNITY IN FRON OF THE SUITED AND BOOTED BRITS.

AS FOR BOWING TO THE NIGERIAN PRESIDENT OR MEETING HIM OUTSIDE THE PALACE, THE PRESIDENT IS NOT A MEMBER OF ROYALTY (usually) AND HE IS A COMMONER ELECTED DEMOCRATICALLY TO SERVE THE PEOPLE, AND NOT A HEREDITARY MONARCH.[/size]

I dont know where to begin.
Are we talking about European Aristocratic tradition, Or African Aristocratic/Royal Tradition.
Where is his entourage as a Royal?
Why he is there at the tarmac waiting for her?

The Oba belittled his Kingship. PERIOD.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by PhysicsQED(m): 1:45am On Apr 22, 2013
GotNoBrainsYo:

I dont know where to begin.
Are we talking about European Aristocratic tradition, Or African Aristocratic/Royal Tradition.
Where is his entourage as a Royal?
Why he is there at the tarmac waiting for her?

The Oba belittled his Kingship. PERIOD.

This is all about courtesy and politeness (something which a lot of people in this thread obviously have difficulty with) and people like you were making much of something that you guys think was a faux pas or gaffe, but which would just have been viewed at the time as politeness. I'm at a loss as to how so many people here can think that every encounter between an African and a European requires that the African has to puff out their chest, strut, and act standoffish - even when the European is just some delicate little lady smiling there with a handbag. It seems like a very immature view to take. I doubt that either of the two people shaking hands in that picture would have understood all these imaginary power dynamics you guys are reading into that handshake.

The other thing you seem to have missed is that Oba Akenzua II did not "bow" to Prince Phillip (British royalty) - not only because they are actually around the same height but because Philip isn't a lady so the convention of bowing when greeting a lady wouldn't even apply.

Anyway, Oba Akenzua II refused to go to Ibadan (the capital) to meet Queen Elizabeth II, so her tour was changed so that she would visit Benin and meet with the Oba there. I'm not sure how requiring from the tour organizers that she (the Queen) visit Oba Akenzua II in Benin rather than the Oba traveling to meet her wherever else she was going is belittling his kingship.

As for "African Aristocratic/Royal Tradition", is there some all inclusive "African Aristocratic Tradition" with set conventions that every African monarch or aristocrat adheres to? Because there is considerable variation in customs and tradition among African monarchs - for example this "entourage" stuff. What entourage are you talking about? Why should the Oba have had his whole "entourage" (whatever exactly you think that should have consisted of) there? And I don't see Queen Elizabeth's "entourage" in those photos, so I don't see what your point is.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by GotNoBrainsYo: 3:09am On Apr 22, 2013
PhysicsQED:

This is all about courtesy and politeness (something which a lot of people in this thread obviously have difficulty with) and people like you were making much of something that you guys think was a faux pas or gaffe, but which would just have been viewed at the time as politeness. I'm at a loss as to how so many people here can think that every encounter between an African and a European requires that the African has to puff out their chest, strut, and act standoffish - even when the European is just some delicate little lady smiling there with a handbag. It seems like a very immature view to take. I doubt that either of the two people shaking hands in that picture would have understood all these imaginary power dynamics you guys are reading into that handshake.

The other thing you seem to have missed is that Oba Akenzua II did not "bow" to Prince Phillip (British royalty) - not only because they are actually around the same height but because Philip isn't a lady so the convention of bowing when greeting a lady wouldn't even apply.

Anyway, Oba Akenzua II refused to go to Ibadan (the capital) to meet Queen Elizabeth II, so her tour was changed so that she would visit Benin and meet with the Oba there. I'm not sure how requiring from the tour organizers that she (the Queen) visit Oba Akenzua II in Benin rather than the Oba traveling to meet her wherever else she was going is belittling his kingship.

As for "African Aristocratic/Royal Tradition", is there some all inclusive "African Aristocratic Tradition" with set conventions that every African monarch or aristocrat adheres to? Because there is considerable variation in customs and tradition among African monarchs - for example this "entourage" stuff. What entourage are you talking about? Why should the Oba have had his whole "entourage" (whatever exactly you think that should have consisted of) there? And I don't see Queen Elizabeth's "entourage" in those photos, so I don't see what your point is.

So you think the Sultan of Sokoto, will carry his Shokoto and go and wait for HRH. Or that the Shehu of Borno
will go and wait for HRH at an airport without royal aides?
Please let me hear word. The Oba denigrated his Office as far as I am concerned. Carry GO!
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by ezotik: 4:39am On Apr 22, 2013
GotNoBrainsYo:

So you think the Sultan of Sokoto, will carry his Shokoto and go and wait for HRH. Or that the Shehu of Borno
Please let me hear word. The Oba denigrated his Office as far as I am concerned. Carry GO!

so because the oba did not behave the way you would approve, means he "denigrated his office?" as if everybody must behave the same. i dont understand u people, always looking for some ignorant shyte to say. abeg carry ur wahala go front jor.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by PhysicsQED(m): 8:02am On Apr 22, 2013
GotNoBrainsYo:

I don't know all the details of the queen's visit to the north in 1956, just like I don't know whether Oba Akenzua II had any "royal aides" (for?) there with him in Benin in 1956 or not (although obviously he didn't bring an entire "entourage" for no reason) but I easily found out enough from a quick online search to know that what you're saying is nonsense. The Sultan of Sokoto and the Shehu of Borno did leave their palaces to wait for Queen Elizabeth - at the Kaduna Durbar in 1956 when she visited that city as part of her tour:

"The queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrived in an open Rolls Royce, circling the racecourse twice before taking their seats on the dais of the durbar pavillion, where they were joined by the governor of the region, Sir Bryan E. Sharwood-Smith, and his wife, Lady Sharwood-Smith, by the premier, the Sardauna of Sokoto, and by the sultan of Sokoto and the Shehu of Borno, who left their seats only to lead their contingents on horseback." - Andrew Apter, "The Subversion of Tradition: A Genealogy of the Nigerian Durbar" (from p. 238 of the book State Culture: The Study of State Formation After the Cultural Turn)

This is a link to the full article from that book: http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/history/apter/apter_subvention_tradition_nigerian_durbar.pdf

If the previous Sultan of Sokoto could "carry his Shokoto" and go to Kaduna to wait for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at the Kaduna Durbar in 1956, and then bow as he was being knighted by her (there is a photograph of it in that same article on p. 241 of that book mentioned above), then I don't think you have a point. If the sultan was so obsessed with showing indifference and acting standoffish like you guys would like, why would he even bother to accept being knighted, and why would he travel to Kaduna to do so? And the Shehu also traveled out of Borno to Kaduna specifically for this Durbar held in honor of the queen's royal visit.

These Durbars originated in British ruled India and were originally introduced to Northern Nigeria by the British so that the Northern rulers could acknowledge their role as subjects of the British empire and pay obeisance to the British rulers. The first Northern Nigerian Durbar was held in 1900 in honor of Lord Lugard, another was held in 1925 in honor of the visit of the Prince of Wales, and one was held in 1956 in honor of Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Kaduna.

The point is, all that haughty and standoffish behavior that you guys desperately wanted to see was not in vogue then among anybody. All it takes is a little maturity to realize that exhibiting politeness and graciousness isn't belittling one's throne. Some people are so desperate in their desire to see anyone or anything exemplary from another group/culture denigrated that they delude and confuse themselves into thinking an entire kingship can be belittled by one courteous "bow".
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by naptu2: 8:12am On Apr 22, 2013
Good response from Physics. I have seen pictures and videos of the visit and I've heard testimony from people who were actually there. The Oba of Lagos, the Oba of Benin, the Sultan of Sokoto and many other traditional rulers bowed to the Queen during her visit. It is not a big deal.
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by bokohalal(m): 10:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
Whatever happened to my posting?
Re: Photo Of Queen Elizabeth II And Oba Of Benin In 1956 by niggadee(m): 7:50pm On May 02, 2013
i like awolowo Itagbe is cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife's Wife, Queen Naomi All Perfect In New Pictures / Bunch Of Plantain Spotted With 'Juju' Tied On It To Scare Off Thieves In Calabar / Queen Naomi’s Alleged Separation From Ooni Of Ife Not True — Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.