Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? (26730 Views)

Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) / Ibom Tropicana / Please Your Experience With Emirate Airline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by remiawo: 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2008
Hi Guys,

I was not meant to come up with this epistle of mine but I wouldn't like once-in-a-while fun seekers like myself fall in the same pit like I and some friends did. I came across the name I didn't want to see or hear, La Campaigne Tropicana, Ikegun.

Foreword
I once tried being romantic and decided to take my fiancee. Alongside a couple of friends, we went on a day trip to the La Campaigne Tropicana Beach Resort, Ikegun, Lagos.

Perhaps the best time one would get to have some fun was the last 2008 Easter holidays, a muslim holiday on Wednesday, Good Friday and the following Monday as Easter. We thus deemed it nice to embark on the "trip of our lives". If you need some real frustrating argumentative adventure, I would recommend La Campaigne Tropicana, Ikegun. Else, employ a lawyer to prepare duly signed "Terms and Conditions" on payment fo the prescibed fees (be ready they would say they are doing you favour even afterwards).

I must tell you the experience was really bitter and sad for what I had thought was my last hope. Their website was quite lovely but far from what was on ground. Organisation, coordination, customer friendly are all "NIL", "ZERO".

Introduction
Ikegun is about 60km from Lekki, took some 1 hr 15mins @ 120km/hr for a substantial travel time to get there, good road though. i had to remember the long bad road I travelled from Port-harcourt after this "trip of our lives".

Here is what the website says as of today:

Day Visits:-

N 2, 000 per adult N 500 per child (Without meals)
N 5, 000 per adult N 1, 000 per child (Meals inclusive)
(Games inclusive in the above charges)

We made enquiries from one Femi (08068648091, who turned out to be our contact person, the main Culprit) and made a group booking for 13 visitors @ 5,000 naira each (Through a Skye bank account belonging to the Reasort - Don't start to think we were duped by one tout).

Gosh! I should have known! The website is just a bait. The phone numbers ain't working (08052227226, 08052226226), the e-mail (wanle@lacampagne.org) also isn't working. The direction is in fact deceptive making you think it's just a few minutes from Ozumba Mbadiwe.

Situation
The welcome snack was supposed to be some lovely "dundu" (fried yams), "dodo" (fried plantains) and "akara" (bean cake). What we got instead were some woody stuff, prepared a day before I thought. We overlooked this hoping for better things to come, little did we know that was the last thing were going to feed-on for the whoel day.

While we chatted over the "woods", a rude "rasta" representing The Resort purpotedly welcomed us. There was a small brawl over his utterances and once again the records were set stright adn we moved on. We should have seen the handwrting of things to go bad on the wall but we never thought the resort would descend so low contrary to the international status (my foot) they claim.

We were quick to get into our swimming gear ready to unleash the fun. Once by the pool, "an overseer" strangely and contrary to booking agreements, demanded 1,000 naira each from us. it took us some 45 minutes to get "Mr Femi" instruct them that we had paid a "forfait" (an all comprising fee). Can you imagine one of the "overseers" threatening to seize the balls we played with in the pool because someone kicked it back in without rinsing. Come to think of it, we weren't looking like kids, better for me at least I don't have heavy beards but quite hurting to one of our friends who put him right (the power of women). Maybe we also made a mistake by not asking him to be the "ball boy/man". We despite the odds managed to catch some selves-made fun.

We made attempts to do the "hydrobiking" (some form of riding bicycle on the lagoon), yet again we were asked to pay some 500 naira. They even had the guts to tell us that thier bikes were non-functional and we would have to make do with hand-paddled, human energy-propelled canoe. We called Mr Femi, who initially pretended not to understand what wew were saying. later on he resorted to cutting us off each time placed the call to him. We demamded to see this Mr Femi (for the first time, needless seeing his ugly face if agreed terms had been adhered to). Trying to see him took us some 1 hour (by this time it was past 3 pm. Pls in mind we had not had the "meal inclusive", and of course some 2 hours we at least needed to return to our individual homes).

Mr Femi claimed he was doing us a favour for the advertised rates, the civilization in me prevented me from strangling him and putting him into my "nap sack". Maybe my finacee would not have agreed to be my wife had I done that.

We eventually got him and claimed to be in a meeting with the Commissioner for Tourism in Lagos State. I was later to find out there was Ministry as such in Lagos State (except someone, not elected by Mr Babtunde Raji Fashola, has been posing around in that capacity). The nearest existing institution is the parastatal Lagos State Waterfront & Tourism Development Corporation.

Our (three representatives) arguments with him attracted the attention of another official of the resort who claimed to be the Manager (when asked what capacity he was speaking with us, he said "I manage here"wink. By this time, our other friends were also attracted to the spot. We in fact dememnded to see Femi's "Commissioner for Tourism", if we are being treated the way tourists to Lagos State are expected to me treated.

Following the failure to keep to the contract, we demanded a complete refund and "The Manager" laughed. At this time it was almost 4 pm and they were offering us all the activities we were due for. He was later insultive enough to offer us 500 naira each (wonder what he was thinking, beggars!, don't worry that is what he will make of you too when you vist). He would not be polite until I started recording the drama on video (to stand as evidence against him when I get enough money sue the resort. Consumer Protection Council (08056003030, 08056002020, 0952303423, 092730949, info@cpcnigeria.com, cpcnigeria@yahoo.co.uk) in the course of being notified). Their comportment were more like "you are at our mercy, if you don't collect the 500 naira, you will be stranded here, afterall nothing will happen if we don't make any refund)

Seeing the shameful act displayed by "The Manager" and Mr Femi, a tourist (working with a foremost fianance house in Nigeria, as he presented us his card afterwards) offered to pay us a cheque equivalent to half of the sum we paid (32,500 naira). He appealed to us to accept his gesture.

Realising what this meant to another customer (maybe different from us cos he was a top end client), they beckoned onto him not to refund the money as they offered to pay us. They were however only able to refund 30,000 naira.

Where in Nigeria do you pay 2,500 naira for swimming and eating some "woody dundu, ikpekere and akara? (Akara Osu is still sold at 20 naira). Now I realised were really slapped, perhaps one of the last to be treated as such as I take-up this crusade against them.

Submission
beside theorganisational attitude of the management of the resort, facilities at the resort are far below standard being touted on their website. Shower bathrooms are awful, only one dysfunctional swimming pool shower, barbecue stands are delapidated and useless (packed with all kinds of rubbish), you could be electrocuted by bare live wires under the play tents, grasses are not watered, swimming dirty and appeared not disinfected. We even had a look at their "kitchen" while looking for the cunny Mr Femi, it was a sore to my eyes.

Ik was embarrassed out of the pull with his girfriend (Njideka) on grounds that he didn't pay for the use of the pool. Meanwhile, he had paid for lodging at the resort for the night.

At the mention of the name La Campaigne Tropicana, Ikegun, Lagos, be wise as " a frontline that falls into a pit, teaches those coming behind a lesson".

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by iice(f): 6:39pm On Apr 06, 2008
Hmmm terrible
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by remiawo: 9:02am On Apr 07, 2008
I don't expect anyone from la Campaigne to tender any apologies, I don't think they are that knowledgeable.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by croft: 9:25am On Apr 07, 2008
Guys ,
Go not mind them they are just very dumb dimwits and unfortunately they actually felt they will just over ride pepole and their money they do no t know that Nigeria has changed
I will make sure they do under because they are cheats
foolish numskulls that think that they will spoil Nigeria
promising what you cannot deliver
mumu pple angry angry angry angry angry
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by remiawo: 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2008
I should have been here enjoying canoe rides 10 consequtive days. Abeg who know here?

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by DisGuy: 5:54pm On Apr 07, 2008
grin

you should have taken pictures of their dirty pool and kitchen, post it online expose their international resort!

we need more people exposing substandard services, police,banks etc!!
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by iice(f): 5:58pm On Apr 07, 2008
Is that water supposed to be that color?
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by lucabrasi(m): 4:06am On Apr 08, 2008
thank GOD for you guys because i was actually looking foward to go there for a change of holidays from my usual clubbing n stuffs,the problem we have in nigeria is that of management and also for someone that has spent millions building that kind of place,its a shame that ordinary customer service has made him lose some high end customers,i dont know who the owner is but i will suggest you get in touch with the owners and im 10% sure he will adress your grievances better,im sure you know how we do in nigeria when workers are not paid well,they are frustrated and transfer the agression to customers, if his workers were well fed then they wouldnt allow customers to leave without satisfaction, i suggest you get in touch with the owner and adress your grieveances to him directly

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by croft: 2:38pm On Apr 08, 2008
Hi All,
The truth of the matter is that that place is a scam.
The most annoying thing is that Lacampigne if well managed is as good as any of the beaches in southern europe but NBA they no go do am as long as pepole come they feel they are doing the right thing .
I am an advocate of this thread and i will make sure they go under and a better company organizes the place because you cannot travle for 2 hours to spend your money and all you get for your money's worth is some miserable looking igbekere and wood sticks called dundun
imajin they no even serve stew shocked
shockedangry cry
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by lucabrasi(m): 9:02pm On Apr 08, 2008
croft:

Hi All,
The truth of the matter is that that place is a scam.
The most annoying thing is that Lacampigne if well managed is as good as any of the beaches in southern europe but NBA they no go do am as long as pepole come they feel they are doing the right thing .
I am an advocate of this thread and i will make sure they go under and a better company organizes the place because you cannot travle for 2 hours to spend your money and all you get for your money's worth is some miserable looking igbekere and wood sticks called dundun
imajin they no even serve stew shocked
shockedangry cry

what would you gain if the place goes down,how many of such places are there in nigeria?please lets not be hasty in making decisions of these sorts,if the management messed up,im sure the owner of the resort will do something about it rather than watch his life's work being messed up by rude staffs at least the poster did not say that the owner was present or that they complained to him and he ignored them.

@poster
like i said before,ill advice you guys to get in touch with the owner of the place and let him know your grieviances nobody will have a business and 13 ppl are unhappy and then willfully ignore them also we do not have much of these kind of resorts in nigeria so rather than advocating to close him down,you should point out his mistakes and im sure he ll improve, im sure you heard some good about the place thats why you left lekki beach,bar beach and all the others to go all the way there.

2 Likes

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by owubaba: 6:55pm On Jun 11, 2008
@ lucabrasi
thank you so much for yur contribution. I was really glad to read that.
@ Poster
So sorry about the experience you had.
I dont work with La Campagne. neither do i have anything to do with the owner. I happen to visit the place after reading your post and i had an experience different from yours. i also had the opportunity to meet with the owner (Wanle, a visioneer in his late 50's.) and i'm sure if you have the cause to meet him , you'll have a different view of the place. I guess the major issue here is with the staff .
so sorry bout yur experience.

nonetheless: sign post, road signs need to be repaired to help visitors coming in for the 1st time

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by paribus(m): 7:24pm On Jun 11, 2008
Mr Wanle Akinboboye is someone I know as well and in as much as he has a grand vision for his company and tourism in Nigeria as a whole, I believe that comes with ensuring that staff with the right attitude are employed otherwise all the vision in the world would simply come to nought.

Havent we seen it all before, the staff you hire, the training and the orientation you give them would either make or mar your business. In as much as one could come up with excuses for a not so good customer experience as identified here, what suffers at the end of the day is the bottom line of the business. La Campagne Tropicana cannot be up there with the top tourist spots around the world if the staff orientation and service delivery is flawed from the onset. I hope the owner pays attention to this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by landis(m): 8:21am On Jun 12, 2008
I was thinking of visiting but there goes the image of this place into rubbish.

even in Sheraton + Eko hotel, the facilities are terrible yet they charge high fee.

what is it with Nigeria?
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by Jahbroco: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2008
I have been to La campagne Tropicana beach Resort. My experience was different. They explained to me the services that go along with the booking and the ones that attracts extra charges. I personally did not have problems with that. I enjoyed my self with my family. In fairness to them the services was'nt that bad, and the concept is out of this world. Of course, there is always room for improvement. It is totally unfair for you to write them off because you have a disagreement over services paid for or not paid for, which might have been as a resulted of misconception.

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by landis(m): 5:39pm On Jul 21, 2008
Jahbroco:

I have been to La campagne Tropicana beach Resort. My experience was different. They explained to me the services that go along with the booking and the ones that attracts extra charges. I personally did not have problems with that. I enjoyed my self with my family. In fairness to them the services was'nt that bad, and the concept is out of this world. Of course, there is always room for improvement. It is totally unfair for you to write them off because you have a disagreement over services paid for or not paid for, which might have been as a resulted of misconception.

can you tell us exactly what you enjoyed? their services, the cleaniless, the politeness, the quality, the food etc

how much did you pay and how long did you stay?

how is the concept out-of-this-world?

what exactly can they improve?

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by Jahbroco: 6:56pm On Jul 21, 2008
Hi Landis,
You sound so sacastic for a place you have not been. I would rather advise you to do a facility tour of the place ,i;m sure they will oblirge you. The concept the resort is unique in terms of the nature of the buildings, natural / clean enviroment, food, and African way of service delivery. Just have a feel before you write more

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by Gamine(f): 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2008
Can you say La Campagne Tropicana Three times without Blabbing.

La Ca Pine Tro pi kana

LA ca Pine Tro pi KAna

La Coljferjfinjdkrfjijri,

Fug!

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by ernal(m): 12:28am On Jul 22, 2008
Jahbroco

Abeg la camp la hut ni,mayb u went on a day their oga just left,the place is out of this world, abeg its not worth the money,i went to cape coast Ghana to the elmina castel and all the other stuffs they offered,far lesser than what la camp is doing and i had mad fun,this is a Nigerian thing,we dont value professionalism and management,customer care Zero,abeg those of us way dey work hard for our money know what i mean.

I think a suggetsion box should be put on the exit desk or sometin,for me again i will see customer care na ZERO!!!
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by osefelix: 1:50pm On Dec 01, 2008
hm,
I wanted to propose to my future wife at this place, but after reading this I think I will search for another place
Ideas are welcome. men I be wan pay in advance haha
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by sunej(m): 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2008
Am so happy I found this thread, I almost booked to spend my xmas there. I now know better. Please recommend good resorts in lagos where one can enjoy this holiday.

I tried visiting the website of that La prick ana, i got this
'Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later. '

careless.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2009
hmmm i googled up la campaigne tropicana and this mouthful is what i got ,i was looking at it for my honeymoon ,but we definately dont want to be the guinea pig to see if the service is still same,i guess i'll look elsewhere .
What is it with Nigerian biznesses and customer service eh?
One satisfied customers and more will come in the hundreds ,why should we have even 1/2 a dissatisfied customer eh ?
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by Nemeziz9ja: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2009
O am se oh!
Fela don sing am!
I sorry sorry oh, I sorry for Nigeria, I sorry sorry oh,
I am so sorry for this aberration called Nigeria. When individuals try to make a change, the hostile environment will just suffocate their dreams.
Let the owner step up his act after all its his name that is been bandied about now.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by sandraa(f): 9:07pm On Jul 23, 2009

now am planning to go there i hope i can get something better
just going through their website to see if there are changes now.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by doubletree(f): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2009
oh dear!
I'm trying to plan a trip to Nigeria for the family and came across la campagne tropicana on facebook.My research brought me here, not encouraging feedback here at all.
please can the people who have had a good time tell us what they enjoyed there.
or maybe I should just pack our cooler of jollof rice ,hire a danfo and face badagry beach :-)

1 Like

Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by sandraa(f): 9:39am On Dec 14, 2009
I was there and to tell the truth the place was nice and you gat to pay 1k to enter and relax at the beach, which is very clean and to tell you the truth the place is very nice!, just the chalet is expensive.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by coolme2: 9:56am On Dec 14, 2009
Dont u think it will be better if u can post the pictures here.
I mean those ones that u wont mind sharing in the public.
sandraa:

I was there and to tell the truth the place was nice and you gat to pay 1k to enter and relax at the beach, which is very clean and to tell you the truth the place is very nice!, just the chalet is expensive.

You can add me on facebook and check out the pics of the place when i visited!
name of album is ''Wakawaka in Lagos''

Sandra Uzezi Akadidi
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by sandraa(f): 10:02am On Dec 14, 2009
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by moosieh: 4:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
Wow, feedback like this is good. Forget all those other pple making excuses, maybe they're plants from La Campagna, hmmmm?lol, Anyway, feedback like this is valuable, no one wishes ill on another man's business, but this country will continue to suffer if sub-par establishments are left to thrive. Competition will drive out the scrubs, and pave way for good entities that deliver quality services. Out with the old, in with the new, I say,
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by jaymdee(m): 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2009
Thank God for this thread. I was about suggesting that dung hill to my boss for our company get together. Thanks guys. I'l search harder.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by jaymdee(m): 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2009
Thank God for this thread. I was about suggesting that dung hill to my boss for our company get together. Thanks guys. I'l search harder.
Re: La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? by cream2(m): 7:08pm On Dec 15, 2009
Experiences are subjective.

My wife and I spent a fabulous 3 days there last year around march and we had a fantastic time, the food was fresh and authentic, the staff couldn't do enough for us, power was constant, facilities good so overall we enjoyed the break.

I think if you intend to visit, you should (like with many places in and out of Naija) be prepared for potential issues, nowhere is perfect!

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is A Desert… But Once A Year It Turns Into Something Else / 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... / You Can Travel To Switzerland From Uk If You Hold >=6 Months Valid Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.