Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? (2873 Views)

Afraid To Be Intimate With My Pregnant Wife / How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? / How Long Should The Wife And Mother-in-law Stay Under Same Roof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 9:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there are any parents with teenage children who face this dilemma.

Would you allow your teenage children have sex with their peers under the same roof as you, where you know they are safe or would you rather ban them from doing this and then not care to know if they have elsewhere?

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by Lolaabokoku(f): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
u should knw the answer to ur question
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nikkyshyne(f): 3:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
smh
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by quest003: 6:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
i cry for you, your lyf has nep2rad
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 9:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
quest003: i cry for you, your lyf has nep2rad

Cry yourself a river hombre. I just asked a question.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 9:42pm On Apr 11, 2013
Lolaabokoku: u should knw the answer to ur question

This question was asked on a show here in the UK called Loose Women. The responses of the audience varied and some were quite controversial. My partner, who is white British, asked me to pose the question on this forum to see how the Nigerian public will respond.

So far the response has not been encouraging.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
Dude your question no make sense

The fact that it may happen does not mean it is permissible which is the operative word here
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 3:31pm On Apr 12, 2013
biolabee: Dude your question no make sense

The fact that it may happen does not mean it is permissible which is the operative word here

Your aggressive stance is befuddling. Is this a behavioral trait in most Nigerians? Why must they start the answer to questions with an aggressive tone? Does is portray intelligence or an underlying frustration with the general situation of the country? It most sincerely baffles me! undecided

If my question made no sense, why did you answer it then? undecided

I just asked a question to sample people's opinion on this issue. I don't see why it should start WW3

3 Likes

Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 4:06pm On Apr 12, 2013
Dude calm down and drink some kool aid

I answered your q

No parent will normally permit such; that meanin it does not happen either under their roof or elsewhere

Go and carry your frustration elsewwhere

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
biolabee: Dude calm down and drink some kool aid

I answered your q

No parent will normally permit such; that meanin it does not happen either under their roof or elsewhere

Go and carry your frustration elsewwhere

May you find solutions to all your challenges.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 5:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
nep2ra:

And you too amin
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
nep2ra:

grin
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
The topic requires thinking
In my opinion, granting ur kids the freedom to explore their sexual fantasies makes one a loose parent with Loose kids. Nevertheless, it can Help in strengthening the bond between them as it gives the kids the freedom to express emotions n wants.

On the other hand, if one fails to let them do their Thing under ones roof, then doing it outside is not good too.
It won't give room for The prefect bonding.
Hence, teen shys away from such discussion.

It all boils down to training up ur child the way He should go and when he is old as the Bible Says he won't depart from it.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by Xavier1976(m): 11:46pm On Apr 12, 2013
Really, cos it was asked in UK TV doesn't make it an "ok" question. Ask yourself, if the teenager is your daughter what would be your response? So that's your answer!

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 12:28am On Apr 13, 2013
Xavier1976: Really, cos it was asked in UK TV doesn't make it an "ok" question. Ask yourself, if the teenager is your daughter what would be your response? So that's your answer!
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by MurderX: 7:19am On Apr 13, 2013
I'ld encourage them to have a boy/girlfriend, someone of good character and from a known good home. What goes on in their rooms with their lovers is their business.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 7:41am On Apr 13, 2013
Xavier1976: Really, cos it was asked in UK TV doesn't make it an "ok" question. Ask yourself, if the teenager is your daughter what would be your response? So that's your answer!

Gods of the sky and earth!!! What in Odin's name is an "ok" question? Am I a kid that I shouldn't ask questions just because they may be offensive? Read through the various posts again. Nowhere did I endorse allowing your teenage children to have sex under your roof or ban them from doing so. I am just sampling the opinion of the Nigerian public on this controversial issue.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 7:50am On Apr 13, 2013
candygosh: The topic requires thinking
In my opinion, granting ur kids the freedom to explore their sexual fantasies makes one a loose parent with Loose kids. Nevertheless, it can Help in strengthening the bond between them as it gives the kids the freedom to express emotions n wants.

On the other hand, if one fails to let them do their Thing under ones roof, then doing it outside is not good too.
It won't give room for The prefect bonding.
Hence, teen shys away from such discussion.

It all boils down to training up ur child the way He should go and when he is old as the Bible Says he won't depart from it.

Thanks for your intelligent contribution. You make a lot of sense.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 7:53am On Apr 13, 2013
Murder_X: I'ld encourage them to have a boy/girlfriend, someone of good character and from a known good home. What goes on in their rooms with their lovers is their business.

You think there are Nigerian parents who would allow their teenage children take their boyfriends/girlfriends into the privacy of their rooms? I'm really intrigued by your liberal perspective.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 8:23am On Apr 13, 2013
And you accused others of being closed minded

What is your agenda with this topic
To bash the poor people in naija right or wat exactly is meant by liberalness etc bla bla bla

You know the right thing or more politically correct the ethical thing and even some viewers in the show you watched said as much
The fact that modern realities have laid to bear new strategies to protect kids from s.exual infections still does not mean a parent will dance azonto when his daughter or son is being poked or poking someone else

Ish

Liberalism indeed
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 8:41am On Apr 13, 2013
biolabee: And you accused others of being closed minded

What is your agenda with this topic
To bash the poor people in naija right or wat exactly is meant by liberalness etc bla bla bla

You know the right thing or more politically correct the ethical thing and even some viewers in the show you watched said as much
The fact that modern realities have laid to bear new strategies to protect kids from s.exual infections still does not mean a parent will dance azonto when his daughter or son is being poked or poking someone else

Ish

Liberalism indeed

undecided undecided undecided shocked
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by slimyem: 8:45am On Apr 13, 2013
Nigerian parents don't even endorse their teenage children having girlfriends or boyfriends not to talk of having sex under their roof.
What can faa?
As a teenager in nigeria,everything sexually you do has to be literally unknown to your parents.cheesy Nigerian parents are not as liberal as parents in the west.We are a people still conformed to a standard of right behaviour operative on ethical judgement.

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 9:13am On Apr 13, 2013
slimyem: Nigerian parents don't even endorse their teenage children having girlfriends or boyfriends not to talk of having sex under their roof.
What can faa?
As a teenager in nigeria,everything sexually you do has to be literally unknown to your parents.cheesy Nigerian parents are not as liberal as parents in the west.We are a people still conformed to a standard of right behaviour operative on ethical judgement.

I grew up in Nigeria and know what you are on about. None of us dared bring a girlfriend home in our teenage years. You would be asking for BIG trouble if you ever did. However, that didn't stop us from attempting or doing naughty things.
Let's face it. It well known teenagers are raging wild with active hormones. This stage of their lives is quite delicate and they most often succumb to peer pressure. If they don't "do it" under your roof, trust me, the more daring ones will "do it" elsewhere.

The bolded caught my attention and got me asking questions. Are Nigerians truly a people "conformed to right behavior operative on ethical judgement?" What is "right behavior?" Why does it not reflect on all facets of of the Nigerian society? or does this "right behavior" apply only to sexual conduct?

1 Like

Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by slimyem: 9:37am On Apr 13, 2013
^You know how they say what you don't know won't harm you?
I think that the issue with our parents.All is well as long as they don't know its happening or they just feel safer assuming its not happening.The home or their roof is one territory where the can exert more control so it figures why it is a NO for sex by teens under it.

As per the right behaviour and conformity thing,I think we are but not in all senses so lemme just say i was talking "in this sense" not generally.Sex and dressing are still a conservative topic.
On other facets of the society,we are plagued by too many issues and the rot is too deep ethical judgement most times does not stand a chance.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by biolabee(m): 10:17am On Apr 13, 2013
nep2ra:

I grew up in Nigeria and know what you are on about. None of us dared bring a girlfriend home in our teenage years. You would be asking for BIG trouble if you ever did. However, that didn't stop us from attempting or doing naughty things.
Let's face it. It well known teenagers are raging wild with active hormones. This stage of their lives is quite delicate and they most often succumb to peer pressure. If they don't "do it" under your roof, trust me, the more daring ones will "do it" elsewhere.

The bolded caught my attention and got me asking questions. Are Nigerians truly a people "conformed to right behavior operative on ethical judgement?" What is "right behavior?" Why does it not reflect on all facets of of the Nigerian society? or does this "right behavior" apply only to sexual conduct?

It does not reflect cos we are a nation of hypocrites
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 10:30am On Apr 13, 2013
biolabee:

It does not reflect cos we are a nation of hypocrites

I agree with you on this one.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 13, 2013
@op,I went tru all ur post here,why r u bent on bashing nigeria? This is good topic for discussion.go straight to topic and stop generalizn it.I'm happy to know u r a nigerian who happend to find himself in another man's country made what it is by their citizens! If u want to condenm nigeria,why not create a thread for it than this?I tire for some people. To ur topic,in as much as we r all civilised and want the best for our kids,there r things better left un imagined.I will lv to know who hangs out with my kids but can't imagine my child and her date copulating under my roof! I should also provide d condom! I believe that at that age,I should hv tot my gal enof sex education that will enable her make a good choice in life.even if its done in my house(of which it happens like dat most times)let me not be aware of it.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 11:34am On Apr 13, 2013
yellowpawpaw: @op,I went tru all ur post here,why r u bent on bashing nigeria? This is good topic for discussion.go straight to topic and stop generalizn it.I'm happy to know u r a nigerian who happend to find himself in another man's country made what it is by their citizens! If u want to condenm nigeria,why not create a thread for it than this?I tire for some people. To ur topic,in as much as we r all civilised and want the best for our kids,there r things better left un imagined.I will lv to know who hangs out with my kids but can't imagine my child and her date copulating under my roof! I should also provide d condom! I believe that at that age,I should hv tot my gal enof sex education that will enable her make a good choice in life.even if its done in my house(of which it happens like dat most times)let me not be aware of it.

I will be very glad if you can quote the posts where I allegedly "bashed" and "condemned" Nigeria. Until then...
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2013
slimyem: ^You know how they say what you don't know won't harm you?
I think that the issue with our parents.All is well as long as they don't know its happening or they just feel safer assuming its not happening.The home or their roof is one territory where the can exert more control so it figures why it is a NO for sex by teens under it.

As per the right behaviour and conformity thing,I think we are but not in all senses so lemme just say i was talking "in this sense" not generally.Sex and dressing are still a conservative topic.
On other facets of the society,we are plagued by too many issues and the rot is too deep ethical judgement most times does not stand a chance.

Are you saying parents can condone their teenage children having sex as long as they don't know about it? Don't you think it will be better if parents confront this issue head-on and deal with it, however embarrassing and inconvenient it might be, than to pretend it doesn't happen and face an ugly scenario later in future?

Are you also saying our response and attitude to sex and dress mode is to a large extent culture specific and NOT based on "right behavior" ?
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by slimyem: 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
^well,I'm not proferring a solution to this issue as it seems.That'd be another angle entirely.I'm just trying to see things from our parents' point of view though warped it seems.
Are you also saying our response and
attitude to sex and dress mode is to a
large extent culture specific and NOT
based on "right behavior" ?
Isn't our culture and right behaviour intertwined in this case?
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by nep2ra(m): 1:08pm On Apr 13, 2013
slimyem: ^well,I'm not proferring a solution to this issue as it seems.That'd be another angle entirely.I'm just trying to see things from our parents' point of view though warped it seems.Isn't our culture and right behaviour intertwined in this case?

I'm not in a position to judge whether our parents thinking are warped or not. I will have kids of mine some day and they will also pass through teenage years. My partner and I have divergent opinions on this issue. I have made my position clear that I will not encourage my teenage kids to have sex with their boyfriends/girlfriends under my roof. Although she understands my argument, she see nothing wrong with it as she was brought up under a different culture.

Culture is a society's adopted way of life at a particular point in time. I say this because, like most things, culture is susceptible to the flowing river of change. Right behavior on the other hand, is too vague and broad to define. Doing so might lead us to a long winding argument bordering on philosophy and religion. I'm afraid I'm in no mood to tread that path.
Re: Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? by slimyem: 1:43pm On Apr 13, 2013
nep2ra:

I'm not in a position to judge whether our parents thinking are warped or not. I will have kids of mine some day and they will also pass through teenage years. My partner and I have divergent opinions on this issue. I have made my position clear that I will not encourage my teenage kids to have sex with their boyfriends/girlfriends under my roof. Although she understands my argument, she see nothing wrong with it as she was brought up under a different culture.

Culture is a society's adopted way of life at a particular point in time. I say this because, like most things, culture is susceptible to the flowing river of change. Right behavior on the other hand, is too vague and broad to define. Doing so might lead us to a long winding argument bordering on philosophy and religion. I'm afraid I'm in no mood to tread that path.
Perhahp,you should also note that culture changes when the organization is transformed and we (Nigerians) seem to be a long way from there.Besides,there's everything wrong with change if its in the wrong direction but nothing wrong if its in the right direction which still brings us back to the issue of right and wrong plus its relativity.
I'm in no mood to thread philosophy and religion paths too.Not topics i'm interested in talking around.grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

"The Imperfections Of Marriage!" ~ Pav 2 / Candid Respones Pls! Guys, Can You Marry Your Female Boss In The Office? / Is It A Must To Perform The White Wedding After The Traditional Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.