Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan (31919 Views)

Could An MMA Fighter Defeat A Chimpanzee In Hand To Hand Combat? / Mayweather-Manny: The Biggest Fight In Boxing History Is Set For May 2 / Bash Ali Hospitalized After Fight With Security Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by playmode(m): 7:48am On Apr 11, 2013
All Felix Pablo Elochukwu wanted was a shot to represent Canada in the UFC.So, the 35-year-old mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter from Hamilton packed a bag and headed to Port Huron, Michigan, for his amateur debut on Saturday.Tragically, his first match would be his last.The Nigerian-born athlete died after the third round when the fight was stopped because he was unable to defend himself from his opponent. He initially showed no signs of serious injury, but later became unresponsive.

Paramedics couldn’t revive him and he was taken to hospital. It’s not clear whether he died in the ambulance or at the health centre.
“I remember seeing him a few weeks ago when we were celebrating his birthday, and he was actually talking about this fight,” said Elochukwu’s friend, Jerry Igenu, in a phone interview from New Brunswick Tuesday.“He was very optimistic. He thought this was going to be his breakthrough match and he would move up to the next level. He wanted to fight for Canada.”

Another friend, Nnamdi Orakwue, from Toronto, said Elochukwu came to Canada from Nigeria as a student at Memorial University of Newfoundland. In 2012, he moved to Hamilton because it was known as a tight-knit community where he could train at the highly regarded Joslin’s Martial Arts and be a part of the Ontario MMA scene.“He’s a straight-up guy,” Orakwue, 34, said. “He had a huge heart. I don’t think he felt he would have had enough support in Canada to grow his fighting career, so Michigan was there for him to make a name for himself.”

A spokesman for Joslin’s could not be reached Tuesday, but media reports peg Elochukwu as a 265-pound heavyweight with a blue belt in Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu and say he was a three-time gold medal winner on the local grappling circuit.Elochukwu was close to his family — his mother, father and sister — who still reside in Nigeria, Orakwue said. He recently asked him to help send them a care package consisting of a watch, a pair of shoes, and a handbag.

Igenu, 32, said to the best of his knowledge, his friend didn’t have any medical problems that would put him in jeopardy in the ring.

“He’s one of the guys you love to hang out with,” he added. “People that know him from back home — he always led a very active life. He loves boxing and fighting. He’s got passion.”According to Sportsnet, the first two rounds of the bout consisted primarily of grappling exchanges. However, Elochukwu showed signs of fatigue going into the third round. His opponent achieved full mount and began delivering “soft” hammer fists.The event was staged by the Amateur Fighting Club, which confirmed the tragic news on its Facebook page.“Last night’s event, April 6th, we lost a member of our MMA family and we would like to take this time to honour him,” the message said.An autopsy was conducted Sunday, but a cause of death has yet to be determined.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by playmode(m): 7:50am On Apr 11, 2013
Apologies to all,he actually died in Michigan not Canada.I have edited the heading.MODERATOR,please rectify title on frontpage.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
Mixed martial arts like boxing is a show put up by barbaric animals for barbarians.

The real martial art doesn't involve competition. It is a *self defense* art with bare hands. Senseis don't show off until you attack them. One KIAI is all that is needed to fend off and startle the aggressor.

RIP boy.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by lifestyle1(m): 3:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
R.I.P
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Henrick007: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
true or false
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by quest003: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
playmode: MODERATOR,frontpage please!
dont beg me? Rip to the dead

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
hiaaaa! oh boy see muscle? So sad he died while fighting. RIP Nwanne.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by GagaBoy: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
I don't know why people in their right senses would partake in such sports. See as him come huge! Steroids things, RIP sha, Life wasted.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by shooks: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
Sorry
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Rapmaestro(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
See me see wahala o, wit that muscle, i sure say I go beat anybody Odikwa R.I.P though
>
wait o.. Shey na fight to death like mortal combat? Omo na wa o...
>
abegi wetin be d meaning of dis 'ODIKWA' self?
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
UFC no be playstation o... Or that nonsense WWE....

RIP bro.. One life, one fight, straight death

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by TeenageMoney(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
RIP
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by aminho(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
To serve nigeria with all my strength s help me God
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by TableLeg(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
playmode: MODERATOR,frontpage please!
Why?
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by blueheart(m): 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
really sad. Passion for fighting? Na Western-trained agbero be that one oo. Weird. RIP
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by albacete(m): 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
Table Leg :

Why?
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by SECURITYWOMAN(f): 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
Eeya..
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by jeffizy(m): 3:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Chai. I think he got hit in a vital organ.
R.I.P
At least you passed on doing what you loved.
You went out good.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Igbos are doing well...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Rapmaestro(m): 3:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
aminho: To serve nigeria with all my strength s help me God
i'm sure u meant 'to serve nigeria is not by force'
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by 50calibre(m): 3:17pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ha! My brother you shouldn't have gone into MMA, the harzards in that sport are not mitigated unlike boxing. MMA is just too brutal.

Anyway RIP
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Airforce1(m): 3:20pm On Apr 11, 2013
berem: Na by force to comment? just say RIP and fucck off!

RIP berem

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Montalo(m): 3:21pm On Apr 11, 2013
Nawa o! This dude looks so healthy na cry They better be fast with the autopsy. This life sef.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 11, 2013
RIP. So sad.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Okijajuju1(m): 3:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
Elochukwu Nwannem!! So you were beaten to death by an Oyinbo guy?! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!!

He should have started small now!! Maybe with Gidigbo, then graduate to street fight, then join NURTW, then graduate to boxing before UFC.

Didnt anybody tell him how one Oyinbo boy beat Samuel Peters like an armed robber because of small quarrel?!

Anyways, na n'udo. cry He died doing what he wanted to do...

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by 50calibre(m): 3:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
Keneking: Igbos are doing well...

Really! Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Do you agree it won't be completely out of order to call you dense or stup*d?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by yuzedo: 3:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
playmode: “People that know him from back home — he always led a very active life. He loves boxing and fighting. He’s got passion.”
Na wa o! Hope he wasn't a bully that loved trouble and somebody he beat up swore for him. Live by the punch, die by the punch? Unfortunate death nonetheless. Comfort to his family.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
Should there be a game like that in the first instance? The risk looks too high to me.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Kairoseki77: 3:26pm On Apr 11, 2013
Maybe he had a heart attack, or a blood vessel in his brain popped.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by kwammy5000(m): 3:27pm On Apr 11, 2013
Hhhmmm d guy no dey shop akpu

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Amokachi: Super Eagles Got $20,000 Each For Pulling Out Of The 1996 Nations Cup / Kano Pillars Signs Joseph Yobo / How Osimhen Sustained The Injury During Napoli-inter Millan Match. Pics And Vids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.