Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,126 members, 7,835,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan (31964 Views)

Could An MMA Fighter Defeat A Chimpanzee In Hand To Hand Combat? / Mayweather-Manny: The Biggest Fight In Boxing History Is Set For May 2 / Bash Ali Hospitalized After Fight With Security Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 12, 2013
Quaritch: Na wa o, RIP Sha,
Of all sports, someone go dey go pick MMA
And at age 35?
With Muscles like that?
When you are supposed to be light and wiry?
The bigger the size, the more surface area for punches and kicks!
All of una wey advice am to go for that tourney are his enemies! angry
Walahi! angry

Yeah, all that bulky Steroid Muscle doesn't really help unless you utilize ground game

For Striking it's a detriment.

You can't really pick the sport up at an Old Age of your Mid 30s.....

You Have to really start young to be Great.

Your Muscles&Tendons/Body will have become to stiff and rigid by the time you are in your late 20s and 30s.

No Chance To Form Them at That Age.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by OneNaira6: 6:20am On Apr 12, 2013
Heya ya. Tufiakwa. MMA is one of the worst sports ever to be created and unlike most sports, it's the least coordinated. the referrals sucks, they just put some brainless fools inside a cage and have them beat the sh1t out of each other like some mad dogs. There is no rule, you can pretty much do whatever the Bleep you want. Unlike boxing where they match experience with experience, if you are inexperience, they don't care, just out of stupid entertainment, they put you in with an experienced @ss fighter in the ring and watch the dude beat the sh1t out of the inexperience fighter. If you are a boxer prior to joining the MMA league, they stupidly think that qualifies as experience forgetting that boxers are trained to fight and not attack each other like savages. Boxers have rules so most of them follow that rules no matter what ring they are in. They equally forget boxers do not understand the stupidity of that game and in fact should be listed under inexperience as well. The referee do not do sh1t but stand there and watch even if they can see the other fighter cannot defend themselves anymore. All for entertainment. This man is not the first fighter to die inside the ring and he surely won't be the last. Some of them are sometimes injured so bad, it's a miracle they survived. The first time I watched that show, I almost threw up in my mouth and I like boxing, I even box in my spare time yet this sport took me by a whole new surprise. I heard he used to be a boxer that decided to join the league. That does not surprise me, most of the boxers that join the league in the beginning usually get their @ss whupped, some are lucky to survive it and tell the tale, few return. Its a shame. The sports is a piss of sh1t. I've seen some terrible sports in my life but MMA in my opinion is equivalent to dog fighting. I'm even shocked they allow it as a legalized sports to be honest and I wonder how many fighters have to die or severely injured before they start regulating and coordinating that damn sports better. R.I.P to the guy. I don't make fun of the dead but dude should have known better; you're 35 for Godsake. That's when you start marking down your retirement, not trying to join a new league. WTF is wrong you? Your own family and friends should have known better, they should have tried to talk him out of it. SMH!! An innocent life gone because of a stupid sport. R.I.P
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by OneNaira6: 6:23am On Apr 12, 2013
Okija_juju: Elochukwu Nwannem!! So you were beaten to death by an Oyinbo guy?! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!!

He should have started small now!! Maybe with Gidigbo, then graduate to street fight, then join NURTW, then graduate to boxing before UFC.

Didnt anybody tell him how one Oyinbo boy beat Samuel Peters like an armed robber because of small quarrel?!

Anyways, na n'udo. cry He died doing what he wanted to do...

That is not him but another fighter. That picture has been circulating the Internet prior to this event. Jeez, a man just died and the best thing you think of is to make fun of him. SMH. May God have mercy on your soul
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 12, 2013
One_Naira: Heya ya. Tufiakwa. MMA is one of the worst sports ever to be created and unlike most sports, it's the least coordinated. the referrals sucks, they just put some brainless fools inside a cage and have them beat the sh1t out of each other like some mad dogs. There is no rule, you can pretty much do whatever the Bleep you want. Unlike boxing where they match experience with experience, if you are inexperience, they don't care, just out of stupid entertainment, they put you in with an experienced @ss fighter in the ring and watch the dude beat the sh1t out of the inexperience fighter. If you are a boxer prior to joining the MMA league, they stupidly think that qualifies as experience forgetting that boxers are trained to fight and not attack each other like savages. Boxers have rules so most of them follow that rules no matter what ring they are in. They equally forget boxers do not understand the stupidity of that game and in fact should be listed under inexperience as well. The referee do not do sh1t but stand there and watch even if they can see the other fighter cannot defend themselves anymore. All for entertainment. This man is not the first fighter to die inside the ring and he surely won't be the last. Some of them are sometimes injured so bad, it's a miracle they survived. The first time I watched that show, I almost threw up in my mouth and I like boxing, I even box in my spare time yet this sport took me by a whole new surprise. I heard he used to be a boxer that decided to join the league. That does not surprise me, most of the boxers that join the league in the beginning usually get their @ss whupped, some are lucky to survive it and tell the tale, few return. Its a shame. The sports is a piss of sh1t. I've seen some terrible sports in my life but MMA in my opinion is equivalent to dog fighting. I'm even shocked they allow it as a legalized sports to be honest and I wonder how many fighters have to die or severely injured before they start regulating and coordinating that damn sports better. R.I.P to the guy. I don't make fun of the dead but dude should have known better; you're 35 for Godsake. That's when you start marking down your retirement, not trying to join a new league. WTF is wrong you? Your own family and friends should have known better, they should have tried to talk him out of it. SMH!! An innocent life gone because of a stupid sport. R.I.P

Mma is one of the Worst Sports Ever To Be Created?

There is Art Involved Bro

Not just reckless goons and brute thuggery.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by ektbear: 6:40am On Apr 12, 2013
Agreed, MMA is a great sport. Check out some Anderson Silva highlights on youtube...strategy, tactics, along with physical talent.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 12, 2013
ekt_bear: Agreed, MMA is a great sport. Check out some Anderson Silva highlights on youtube...strategy, tactics, along with physical talent.

Truth Bro^

It's a Gorgeous Artistic Sport, of Pure Craft

Now Granted, there are some brutes and neanderthals lacking in skill....who just wanna mash meat...

But there are some really gorgeous pugilist and martial artist in the sport.

One Naira spoke of no rules....that's the "old" Version of the sport...late 90s...

Things have changed long since then.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by OneNaira6: 6:46am On Apr 12, 2013
Boricua:Negro:

Mma is one of the Worst Sports Ever To Be Created?

There is Art Involved Bro

Not just reckless goons and brute thuggery.

I would like to know the art involved in that sport cause what I saw, the fighters are locked up in a cage like they are animals as oppose to humans. They are allowed to kick, choke hold, slamming each other where ever the f2k they want. they are allowed to punch and kick themselves repeatedly in a specific area even areas that can be deadly. No rules at all. My major concern is they can see a fighter whaling on another fighter, instead of them to stop it and make sure the other fighter is okay before continuing, nah they allow that beating to continue. All that is savage in my opinion. Idk if you ever seen a dog fight before but I remember when my friend took me to a dog fight before, though I hated it and promise myself I would never watch that type of animal cruelty again, the fight for some reason is still very vivid in my memory and MMA fights, i wont deny I've already seen just few, but those few reminder me of that damn fight. The difference is the fighters are humans as oppose to dogs so dude I don't know the art you see in it so I'm all ears to learn the art behind that sport.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by ektbear: 6:48am On Apr 12, 2013
Bros, do you also view boxing as a savage sport?

MMA = kickboxing + wrestling + submission moves, basically.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by ektbear: 6:52am On Apr 12, 2013
Here is a great Anderson Silva mix I came across recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLwCRYLzZU

MMA is a beautiful sport to me.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by aariwa(m): 6:55am On Apr 12, 2013
No mention is made of the participation of females in the sports.It scary watching beautiful MMA fighters like Gina Carano,Cyborg,Rhonda Rhousey e.t.c engage in bloody bouts.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 12, 2013
@Naira

Brazillian jiu jitsu
Boxing
Greco Roman
Judo
Muay Thai..

Also you should really start off watching "Pride FC" from Japan....

That organization in it's heyday had the greatest fights

They don't use the "Cage"

They used a Ring back in Japan

Personally, i am not a fan of the cage either......

But the Art of Mixing Different Stand Up Techniques Within Combat is just beautiful.

You really have to combine two styles to be an effective fighter.

At Least be great at one stand up style and one ground game

Like for example

^Many Brazilians who dominate are Combo Muay Thai guys with BJJ For a Ground Game.....

The Sport Encompasses so much Cerebral Matching....

This Counters That...That Counters This...and So on...

It's Violent Chess.

an Absolute Beautiful Sport.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by OneNaira6: 7:09am On Apr 12, 2013
ekt_bear: Bros, do you also view boxing as a savage sport?

MMA = kickboxing + wrestling + submission moves, basically.

No of course not. Boxing is a great sport, though yes some boxers can go extreme but at least it's managed better. MMA I understand they are allowed to mix in all aspect of fighting, i respect that, but they need to coordinate that damn sport better. I'm not downputting it on the types of fighting styles involved in it but rather how they allow them to use it. In boxing, there are specific areas a boxer can not hit but in MMA such rule does not seem to apply. When they see a fighter is going down, it's there job to stop the victory fighter from going over board. Even in boxing, the victory fighter continue punching the other dude until he feel the dude is knocked out. Understandable, fighting is all about attacking. In boxing, the referee usually the ones that pulls the guy off, allow their trainer to check up on the severely beating dudes before continuing if they can continue but MMA tufia. My bestfriend is a huge MMA fan and till this day, he has not explained what's so interesting about it. I really don't understand it but in a way I guess it's the same way my little sis does not understand why I like boxing.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by ektbear: 7:40am On Apr 12, 2013
You can't kick/punch someone in the balls or do eye, orifice gouging in MMA.

Also if you can't defend yourself, the referee will stop the fight. Nobody will get the chance to just beat you silly.

It is a dangerous sport, but no worse than boxing or American football as far as health risk goes. This fellow just got unlucky.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by reidkrugger(m): 9:36am On Apr 12, 2013
@35, he‘s a blue belt in one of d jutsus and wants to fight for canada. well somn aint addin up. Mma aint a playground for newbies n at dat age wif dat level of skill, i dont think he‘ll b given a shot.
Where is ur source? Only person to have entered like dat is Kimbo n dats cuz He has pedegree n Credibility. All d guys he fought on his build up to UFC would atleast attest to that.
U cant b on a BLUE n at 35 n b thinkin of d UFC. This is not a case of my neighbour dey sell maggi n e de move so me too wan sell maggi. WRONG. That person is 95% very likely to b unsuccessful.
IMHO, MMA>WWE>BOXING. n yeah, Canada aint Naija. They‘‘ve gat Gyms n Fighting Clubs allover to d extent dat, The subject @ dat age dont stand a chance to rep or show nada. and Fighting no b Football, fill in an over age @ ur detriment. Even sef, Dana no go gree n just in case d News is real, U r still wrong.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Litmus: 11:38am On Apr 12, 2013
Okija_juju: Elochukwu Nwannem!! So you were beaten to death by an Oyinbo guy?! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!!

He should have started small now!! Maybe with Gidigbo, then graduate to street fight, then join NURTW, then graduate to boxing before UFC.

Didnt anybody tell him how one Oyinbo boy beat Samuel Peters like an armed robber because of small quarrel?!

Anyways, na n'udo. cry He died doing what he wanted to do...

So this was a post really aimed at celebrating a Nigerian persons death mmmm surprise, surprise

RIP
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by hypnotikent(m): 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
50calibre:

Really! Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Do you agree it won't be completely out of order to call you dense or stup*d?

Igbos shaaa... You'll meet them in every sport... Ojukokoro... smiley
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by TopDog1(m): 1:43pm On Apr 12, 2013
Blade Awka, Odogwu Awka.

Ever dependable Blade,so sad to see you go out like this..........Bro you were always there for others,ever dependent,ever loyal.Gentle yet hard......

We shall miss you nwanne........

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by thejiggler: 2:57pm On Apr 12, 2013
First off I want to say RIP to the Mr Awka. Now with that being said...let me move on to the real issues at heart.

For those of you that dont know what MMA is...no its not the airport in Lagos...it stands for Mixed Martial Arts. It is the FASTEST growing sport in the world believe it or not.

It is by far the most entertaining combat sport on the planet and has MILLIONS of fans world wide. Those of you that have not heard of this sport...honestly...u are missing out. MMA is no more dangerous than boxing events...in all honesty it is actually SAFER. How u may ask? Well in boxing 90% of the time the boxer is getting punched in the head repeatedly. If he gets knocked down, the referee will give him an 8 count and stand him up...but there is always a count. Calculate the number of shots thrown to the head that land on average per round, then multiple that by 12 (number of rounds in a boxing match). You will find that boxers get hit to the head an average of 30-40 shots per round. So in a boxing match 360-480 punches on average per fight. Now thats crazy! Look what happened to Muhammed Ali...and how many other countless boxers (in the hundreds) have died or have permanent brain damage. But in MMA u have different ways to win a fight...its the true art of fighting. You can punch, kick, knee, elbow, wrestle...which makes each and every fight different & enjoyable. You can win by knockout, referee stoppage, submission, or on points.

People who say that this sport is too barbaric or is an excuse for violence or like a dog fight...really are clueless about the sport. Have you actually done any research? There are rules and regulations, which include weight categories etc. Fighters from all over the world and from different fighting styles compete to be an ultimate fighter. People die in all sports all the time, football, WWE, horse racing...all accidentally of course. MMA has less then 8 recorded deaths world wide...that mortality rate alone speaks for itself. But does that mean the sport should be banned...NO! If you dont like, you dont have to watch it....very simple. Mr Awka knew what he was getting into before he fought and im sure he signed a waver before the fight. So nobody can be blamed here...apart from the referee who probably was not qualified enough to referee the fight.

I run an MMA gym here in Lagos and train all kinds of fighters. If anyone is interested in learning how to train pls private message me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
It beats me, why would an ONLY SON into this deadly and bloody venture? No thought whatsoever as your aged father? To me, I feel he was just selfish. Left boxing which in itself is dangerous for a far more dangerous one. And to those supporting this God-forsaken sport, I wish your children toe this path, that way, your joy will be complete. U are in love with mere watching and not partaking in it. Smh. RIP to the dead.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Rapmaestro(m): 3:47pm On Apr 12, 2013
the jiggler: I run an MMA gym here in Lagos and train all kinds of fighters. If anyone is interested in learning how to train pls private message me.
fear begin dey catch me when i saw dis... Shey na true u talk? *PACK BAGS, AIN'T STAYING HERE AGAIN.. Never*
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by owanku: 4:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
Jew name Blade, mi former, mi lor lor!!!!! And I was planning to surprise you early next month with wifey cry After everything KRF pulled us through, na so the story take end? For the ignorant ones that never knew you, you have always been naturally big and strong, from your Zambezi days, yet gentle with an annoyingly soft heart. Watching you fight in Hamilton, I was filled with pride and had very high hopes for you. Working out with you at the gym and at home, was torture but well worth it as we always reminisced on our years for 9ija. I'm grieving badly but my heart is with your family cos I don't wanna imagine what they must be going through.
@ all those running this man down, I only wish you knew him. He wouldn't harm y'all for the insults, regardless of his size, but those around him will surely make y'all regret it. So for those hating on Elo, I wish you the kind of pain his family is in right now, give y'all a taste of your own medicine. I, for one, will not say what I will do to any of you if we run into each other, let it be a surprise.
Rest in Perfect Peace, mi barunda, till we meet to part no more. Alusi na eruru gi uju cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by thejiggler: 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2013
First off I want to say RIP to the Mr Awka. Now with that being said...let me move on to the real issues at heart.

For those of you that dont know what MMA is...no its not the airport in Lagos...it stands for Mixed Martial Arts. It is the FASTEST growing sport in the world believe it or not.

It is by far the most entertaining combat sport on the planet and has MILLIONS of fans world wide. Those of you that have not heard of this sport...honestly...u are missing out. MMA is no more dangerous than boxing events...in all honesty it is actually SAFER. How u may ask? Well in boxing 90% of the time the boxer is getting punched in the head repeatedly. If he gets knocked down, the referee will give him an 8 count and stand him up...but there is always a count. Calculate the number of shots thrown to the head that land on average per round, then multiple that by 12 (number of rounds in a boxing match). You will find that boxers get hit to the head an average of 30-40 shots per round. So in a boxing match 360-480 punches on average per fight. Now thats crazy! Look what happened to Muhammed Ali...and how many other countless boxers (in the hundreds) have died or have permanent brain damage. But in MMA u have different ways to win a fight...its the true art of fighting. You can punch, kick, knee, elbow, wrestle...which makes each and every fight different & enjoyable. You can win by knockout, referee stoppage, submission, or on points.

People who say that this sport is too barbaric or is an excuse for violence or like a dog fight...really are clueless about the sport. Have you actually done any research? There are rules and regulations, which include weight categories etc. Fighters from all over the world and from different fighting styles compete to be an ultimate fighter. People die in all sports all the time, football, WWE, horse racing...all accidentally of course. MMA has less then 8 recorded deaths world wide...that mortality rate alone speaks for itself. But does that mean the sport should be banned...NO! If you dont like, you dont have to watch it....very simple. Mr Awka knew what he was getting into before he fought and im sure he signed a waver before the fight. So nobody can be blamed here...apart from the referee who probably was not qualified enough to referee the fight.

I run an MMA gym here in Lagos and train all kinds of fighters. If anyone is interested in learning how to train pls private message me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by TopDog1(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2013
@Owanku,

Alusi i hail. Are you Alusi,Nwa Dr. I.....fe na Nnewi.

Nwanne Ololo(Fredo)

Have a feeling you are. Heard your in Canada.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Okijajuju1(m): 12:02am On Apr 13, 2013
One_Naira:

That is not him but another fighter. That picture has been circulating the Internet prior to this event. Jeez, a man just died and the best thing you think of is to make fun of him. SMH. May God have mercy on your soul

i wasn't making fun of him, just my way of wishing him a peaceful rest in the afterlife..
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Okijajuju1(m): 12:02am On Apr 13, 2013
Litmus:

So this was a post really aimed at celebrating a Nigerian persons death mmmm surprise, surprise

RIP

undecided
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by owanku: 3:19am On Apr 13, 2013
Top Dog]@Owanku,

Alusi i hail. Are you Alusi,Nwa Dr. I.....fe na Nnewi.

Nwanne Ololo(Fredo)

Have a feeling you are. Heard your in Canada.

Nwanne na me. Na who i dey hail?
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by tomzman: 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
Eh yah!
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by AlyricistLaura: 9:49pm On Apr 13, 2013
Certain Studies Say Boxers take more damage to the brain then Mma Fighters.

Logic would dictate that this is probably true, considering how varied the sport of Mma Is.

Also, Respect to the knowledgeable Guy, educating his people on the Sport.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 14, 2013
I AM WAITING FOR YOU wink
Alyricist★Laura:
Certain Studies Say Boxers take more damage to the brain then Mma Fighters.

Logic would dictate that this is probably true, considering how varied the sport of Mma Is.

Also, Respect to the knowledgeable Guy, educating his people on the Sport.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by AlyricistLaura: 10:46pm On Apr 14, 2013
volumptuos_babe: I AM WAITING FOR YOU wink

Whatchu mean Mamii?...lol
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2013
You have been looking for me havent u?
Alyricist★Laura:

Whatchu mean Mamii?...lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Janny Sikazwe Was Hallucinating With 'Heatstroke' During Tunisia Game / Mohamed Salah Wins Premier League Player Of The Year Award(Photo) / Olga Diyachenko Advises Parents Not To Give Their Little Children Iphones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.