Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,202 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan (31945 Views)

Could An MMA Fighter Defeat A Chimpanzee In Hand To Hand Combat? / Mayweather-Manny: The Biggest Fight In Boxing History Is Set For May 2 / Bash Ali Hospitalized After Fight With Security Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Abrantie: 8:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
All muscles, no strength.

He probaly was on anabolic steriods or some shyt to get an edge.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Costa2000(m): 8:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
RIP
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by NLGwoodey: 8:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
Died in the line of duty.

Wrong hustle.

MMA is a sport in which you know what you are going to face before you
even get into the ring.

IT IS RESERVED FOR THE BAD A.SSES
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by redsun(m): 9:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
50calibre:

Really! Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Do you agree it won't be completely out of order to call you dense or stup*d?

That could be ekoile or dudunegreo indisguise.Irrationality like that is their hallmark.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by eazyd(m): 9:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
Abrantie: All muscles, no strength.

He probaly was on anabolic steriods or some shyt to get an edge.

Oh pls...respect the dead! Big Felix was all natural, i spoke to him the night before his debut MMA fight and he was all happy and promised to call after the fight but God knows best.
He was a sure hustler, died hustling! RIP My Brother.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Rap maestro: See me see wahala o, wit that muscle, i sure say I go beat anybody Odikwa R.I.P though
>
wait o.. Shey na fight to death like mortal combat? Omo na wa o...
>
abegi wetin be d meaning of dis 'ODIKWA' self?

OLODO
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
Keneking: Igbos are doing well...

Shattap. What is that supposed to mean? Say RIP...
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
Okija_juju: Elochukwu Nwannem!! So you were beaten to death by an Oyinbo guy?! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!!

He should have started small now!! Maybe with Gidigbo, then graduate to street fight, then join NURTW, then graduate to boxing before UFC.

Didnt anybody tell him how one Oyinbo boy beat Samuel Peters like an armed robber because of small quarrel?!

Anyways, na n'udo. cry He died doing what he wanted to do...

Okija, have you taken that usual thing
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
MsDarkSkin: Yeah, such sport is very dangerous.
I once dated an MMA fighter and always worried that something like this could happen.
Being fit and physically able to fight doesn't mean one can't die or suffer permanently as a result of fighting.

RIP to the young man.
At least he passed doing what he loved... undecided

Its all in the past. Cant you get over me
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Morgan1092(m): 10:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
motezy4real: sorry bro you died in action no p just wanna say to all if u still dey pa mtm before you browse you don miss road be dat contact for your mtn free browsing sim 07064545834 airtel and eti dey ground hot as well and most torrent files you would neva get for free
This post has been hidden
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Lexoria: 11:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
Nigerians are so heartless,this is someone's only son,only brother and people are here saying trash.His father and sisters just found out today and from what my mom said,his step-mom doesn't even know yet.I was the one who broke the news to his younger sister after seeing his friend post a RIP on FB.If you guys know what his father would be going through right now,just try and put your parents in that man's shoe and have some compassion.I lost my sister 7months ago and I can imagine what his 2sisters will be going through now.Its hard time for us but comments like the ones on Nairaland make it harder.I pray none of his sisters get to read this thread.RIP big Bro,I still can't believe it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by AMvanquish: 11:08pm On Apr 11, 2013
Okija_juju: Elochukwu Nwannem!! So you were beaten to death by an Oyinbo guy?! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!!

He should have started small now!! Maybe with Gidigbo, then graduate to street fight, then join NURTW, then graduate to boxing before UFC.

Didnt anybody tell him how one Oyinbo boy beat Samuel Peters like an armed robber because of small quarrel?!

Anyways, na n'udo. cry He died doing what he wanted to do...

LWTMB! UFC no be playstation OOO or Dat fake WWE. Na real beating pipu dey chop 4 dat show. Rip rho
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by domido(m): 11:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dem don giv d guy poff-poff and pure water again as dey did to boxers dat went for olympics.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
WWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by domido(m): 11:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dem don giv d guy poff-poff and pure water again as dey did to boxers dat went for olympics....R.I.P
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin BOOYA
domido: Dem don giv d guy poff-poff and pure water again as dey did to boxers dat went for olympics....R.I.P
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by birdman(m): 11:59pm On Apr 11, 2013
By 35, most athletes have retired from competitive MMA. Attempting to start at that age is just suicide - at least boxing has padded gloves - MMA is russian roulette. There is a set number of hard knuckle punches you can eat from a pro. Once its up, you are a goner.

What was his corner doing btw? You know your fighter - how do you allow him to eat that many blows to the head without throwing in the towel. RIP warrior
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Xavier1976(m): 1:20am On Apr 12, 2013
It is sad that a young man lost his life in the bid to survive in a strange land, many Nigerians are dying daily in similar events but no documentation to pinpoint this ! imagine the death statistic in this sport within a short time -

Michigan's unregulated amateur MMA scene has long been a tragedy waiting to happen and it's good to see that Michigan lawmakers are finally stepping up to the plate to prevent further needless deaths. Hopefully the bill will pass the upper chamber of the legislature and get the Governor's signature without further delay.

For context, MMA.tv has compiled a list of deaths in MMA competition since 1993:

Douglas Dedge • March 16, 1998 • Kiev, Ukraine • Unregulated • Chief emergency room doctor attributed death to "severe brain injuries." • First MMA death in the modern era. • Dedge is reported to have passed out in training previous to the fight, and is believed to have had a preexisting medical condition.

Korean identified only as Lee
• May 12, 2005 • Samsong-dong, South Korea • Entirely unregulated bout took place in a bar. • Cause of death was heart attack.

Sam Vasquez • October 20, 2007 • Houston Texas • Cause of death was subdural hemorrhage due to blunt trauma of the head, following a KO loss in the third round • First death in a sanctioned MMA event.

Michael Kirkham
• June 26, 2010 • Aiken, South Carolina • Regulated bout • Cause of death was subarachnoid hemorrhage of the brain • Kirkham lost his previous fight on April 24 by TKO; Dr. Joe Estwanik believes "this could have been second-impact syndrome."

Mike Mittelmeier
• April 27, 2012 • Bolivia • Unregulated bout allowing face kicks to grounded opponent; there was no ambulnace standing by. • Mittlemeier got kicked in the head while attempting a leg lock. • Cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage.

Dustin Jenson
• May 24, 2012 • Rapid City, South Dakota • Unregulated bout • Jenson tapped without appearing to take any severe blows. • Cause of death was subdural hemorrhage resulting from blunt force trauma to the head.

Tyrone Mims • August 11, 2012 • Mount Pleasant, South Carolina • Regulated bout • Autopsy results were inconclusive, with no evidence of a concussion or brain trauma detected, no drugs or alcohol detected by toxicology tests. "(Mims) might have had an irregular heart because of some electrical dysfunction," said Coroner Rae Wooten. "That obviously isn't seen after death. Once that's completed, there's no evidence of that.... There's just nothing here that explains his death."

Felix Pablo Elochukwu
• April 7th, 2013 • Port Huron, Michigan • Unregulated bout • Autopsy pending.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Bluhazel: 2:01am On Apr 12, 2013
At 35, I think he was too old to still involve himself in active competition. Mind you, we are talking about martial art here not like any other sports.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 2:55am On Apr 12, 2013
Hmm i am going to investigate this..

Lots of Times overly athletic black fighters are often paired in mis matches with an opponent far greater in skill and technique.

which usually results in a savage beating.

Often times promoters feel the "athleticism" will supersede skill and technique...when it doesn't
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Princepioneer(m): 3:13am On Apr 12, 2013
.....>>t Seems,he is over weight and over-aged for that kind of sports which requires flexibility. What a loss cry shocked rip . shocked
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:14am On Apr 12, 2013
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 12, 2013
^--Link for more info on the story

Seems as if he did not have to go through medical clearance...

also for a man of that size and physique to die.....speaks to me as a fan of the sport...that..He had virtually little to no skill at alll

I hate when they do bullshit like this

Black Eye on the Sport.

Cliq quote first then copy link from the Quote Box.....because forum blocks the outer link.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by smile4kenn(m): 3:28am On Apr 12, 2013
30 mins before the fight, he called me and I wished him good lucks. 2 hrs later, I called him, and hes promoter picked and said he will call me back. He never called back until the next morning when people started calling my phone to confirm the bad news they were hearing. I knew you for 8 years, you were hard and gentle. A true fellow worth knowing.

RIP

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Quaritch(m): 3:52am On Apr 12, 2013
Na wa o, RIP Sha,
Of all sports, someone go dey go pick MMA
And at age 35?
With Muscles like that?
When you are supposed to be light and wiry?
The bigger the size, the more surface area for punches and kicks!
All of una wey advice am to go for that tourney are his enemies! angry
Walahi! angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by dc555: 4:17am On Apr 12, 2013
RIP. MMA is just a horrible sports.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by ddeola: 5:11am On Apr 12, 2013
Hmm...
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 5:23am On Apr 12, 2013
dc555: RIP. MMA is just a horrible sports.

No it's not bro...mma is a great sport......

it has to be properly run.

Medical History Clearance and Proper Match Making...That's all

Some Guys are just greedy to be active...when they should just Chill.

Patience.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by dc555: 5:44am On Apr 12, 2013
Boricua:Negro:

No it's not bro...mma is a great sport......

it has to be properly run.

Medical History Clearance and Proper Match Making...That's all

Some Guys are just greedy to be active...when they should just Chill.

Patience.
The mma doctors must have cleared him.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by Nobody: 5:59am On Apr 12, 2013
From what i am reading and hearing his medical history wasn't thoroughly Checked.....

Sad that such negligence can go on in the sport.
Re: Nigerian MMA Fighter Dies After Fight in Michigan by lekkie073(m): 6:01am On Apr 12, 2013
buklan4real@yah:
ISHAN LO PA BRUSLIN................. ewon mi si shan embarassed
hahahaaah
bruslin !!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Osimhen Sustained The Injury During Napoli-inter Millan Match. Pics And Vids / Kano Pillars Signs Joseph Yobo / Super Eagles Coach, Rohr Names Four Strikers To Represent Nigeria In Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.