Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? (7603 Views)

Poll: Pirated CD Buying:

I do it and I don't care: 21% (3 votes)
I feel guilty about it: 57% (8 votes)
I don't do it at all: 21% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

When Last Did You Buy An Album & Whose Was It? / How Much Do Original Cd's Cost In Naija & Why Do We Buy Pirated Copies? / Why Do You Buy Pirated Cd's? Share Your Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by JUNIT1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2008
It's ok, no one is going to this anyone that buys pirated CDs. The truth is, it is unavoidable, it's so attractive to the buyer, it's cheaper and offers the same quality, or does it? It's easily accessible.

Am I wrong in buying a pirated CD? What if I don't have money? I know it's illegal, but let's think about it, am I really wrong? shocked
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by mrjuwon: 5:25pm On Apr 07, 2008
Puhlease, whenever my parents have gone to nigeria and I requested them to buy me cds, they always came back with pirated. Not because they intended to but because packaging is sooo whack byt he artists themselves, the orignal look like pirates, so really i do not know the difference. It such a shame the way nigerian artists package their music. They might as well wrAP IT IN tissue and sell, no apologiesss
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by JUNIT1(m): 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2008
same here juwon, pirated cd's look the same, but maybe we can tell by the price of the cd, also in abroad pirated cd's are the ones mostly sold.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 07, 2008
of course - its stealing

but you can't come to nigeria and sell 50 cents album at the price in the US.($12 to 25) .how much does the average nigerian earn?

back in the 90s, audio cds were the province of the rich kids. i remember all the ish i had 2 put up with from some pricks because i wanted to dub their CDs.

Piracy is the great equalizer. grin

unfortunately too many riff raff are in the scene now. unless an album is by a new artiste, you can't trust it. you buy beyonce bday and find that its a collection of her singles angry. don't go near any cd with an 'uju' logo.

anyway, i don't really feel up to keeping pricks like 50 in their lavish MTV cribs lifestyle.

the fact of the matter is that the music industry need to revise their business model. in this age of lightning downloads, you can't stop prolifertion of pirated music. you can make a few symbolic examples, but you can't stop the masses. and thats the other funny part of piracy. everybody does it. when i say everybody i mean - its not limited to robber, murderers, etal. your avearge joe will buy a pirated cd if he can.

self help books often go on about embracing change. you change or you die. thats what the music industry needs to do. change. of course the music industry is BIG and has a lot of inertia left in it, which is why it keep resisting the unstoppable impulse/force of music piracy.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by AKO1(m): 6:21pm On Apr 07, 2008
I understand that there is a law against piracy called the Copyright Law in Nigeria.

Apparently, no one seems bothered enough to enforce this law to the letter.

Till then, I guess I'm still rocking pirated CDs.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by JUNIT1(m): 6:28pm On Apr 07, 2008
the truth is that piracy is inevitable, i mean why were cd writers created if piracy is illegal, well i'm yet to see anyone arrested for buying pirated cd's
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Seun(m): 8:01pm On Apr 07, 2008
CD writers were created for backing up your data and mastering your own music and movies.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by DisGuy: 8:13pm On Apr 07, 2008
It's easily accesible.

true, I want some CDs from nigeria for example and the only way
I can get them is ask people coming from nigeria,
and to be honest they might even buy pirated CDs thinking they are original

Nigerian artist should start selling their albums online

I really don't think they want to spend more money on packaging and
effective distribution, perhaps they make more money from shows and concerts
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Zeiya(f): 8:18pm On Apr 07, 2008
yeah,
i think they are cheaper
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by dee02(m): 9:30pm On Apr 07, 2008
The reason why i buy pirated CD's-

1)They are cheaper

2) I don't want to be labelled a MUGU for spending a fortune at MEGA PLAZA or HMV

3) I want to be surprised by the contents of the CD itself for example JAYZ's black album would have AWILO LOGOMBA as TRACK 2 and ORITS WILIKI as TRACK 3!

4) CELINE DIONS GREATEST HITS ONLY TO FIND SALAWA ABENI rapping and pouting like a retard!

5) A pharell beat would sound like a burst sorround sound system
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by lekush(m): 8:25am On Apr 08, 2008

1)They are cheaper

2) I don't want to be labelled a MUGU for spending a fortune at MEGA PLAZA or HMV

3) I want to be surprised by the contents of the CD itself for example JAYZ's black album would have AWILO LOGOMBA as TRACK 2 and ORITS WILIKI as TRACK 3!

4) CELINE DIONS GREATEST HITS ONLY TO FIND SALAWA ABENI rapping and pouting like a retard!

Nice one!!!
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by topkin(m): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2008
@ topic

Because it's cheaper and affordable. Is it wrong? Morally, it may be wrong. But considering our economy, don't think so.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Scopium: 8:40am On Apr 08, 2008
Seun:

CD writers were created for backing up your data and mastering your own music and movies.

[size=13pt]Says who?[/size]
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by jaymes(m): 9:17am On Apr 08, 2008
yeah you guys are damn right! pirated CDs are cheap! but i am of the opinion that, after purchasing these illegal contents, often times it doesn't last long, with all them scratches and all, because we store them anyhow, what the heck, you bought them for just N100! I feel that you should buy original albums for artistes that you really love or timeless classic albums like Notorious BIG - Ready To Die, Nas - Illmatic, Tupac - All Eyes On Me e.t.c wink
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by oberon(m): 10:51am On Apr 08, 2008
Piracy is bad because it robs the artiste of revenue however when foreign record labels make market or sales projections they never take into account sub saharan africa so there is a gap that these guys exploit I mean we have to stay in touch with the rest of the world somehow, an Uncle of mine was home last xmas and he was so busy showing off, regaling us with tales about this movie and that movie, we couldnt stop laughing when he asked why we took him to the living room ,lo and behold his precious movies in dvd for less than 450 naira I do however blanch at the idea of buying pirated works of local acts these guys work too hard and this is their base we rip them off and they are out of business ,double standards?I agree but one has to protect ones own
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by crazylegs(m): 2:14pm On Apr 08, 2008
dee02:

Kai! Orits Wiliki!!! What a pleasant surprise! grin grin

I would really feel like an idiot spending 3k for something I could get at N200. If I had to spend 3k for each CD I'd most probably have a collection of 2CDs

I think there are less excuses for buying pirated CDs of Nigerian Artistes. The difference is not all that much. They could do with the motivation
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by anonimi: 2:16pm On Apr 08, 2008
Accessibilty for original CDs, VCDs & DVDs is one big headache in Naija. When you want originals for the local artistes and films it is so difficult to get.
It is a pity the artistes and filmmakers cannot get their distribution/marketing right.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by HRhotness(f): 2:18pm On Apr 08, 2008
It is very wrong!
Download illegally from the internet instead
Alot cheaper!  grin grin
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2008
i buy pirated cd's of forign artist
but originals of naija artist(isn't that hypocritical?)
but damMNN!!!like someone said,i cant buy it at $15.00 or at 10 pounds except its a classic
like biggies "life after death".
i had been looking for amy winehouse "back to black" since it came out.i was actually tempted to buy the
original at grand square for 3.5k but the ish eventually came out in the piracy market last week
i felt blessed.
if music companies sell original cd's for ^500.00, am sure most if not all of us would stop buying those
cheap rip offs for ^150.00(imagine,i saw 50cents "curtis" album in the market 2 months b4 it official release date.sh#t was a
bleeping mixtape)
in conclusion,, i want to give a shout out to thE ff pirates
BIG BOSS JIGGA MAN
DJ KEV D
and all those chinko dudes who rip those albums and sell em to us at 150 bucks
peace, am out
grin
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by rite2salas(m): 7:05pm On Apr 08, 2008
All CDs in Nigeria are pirated notwithstanding if they are foreign or local. I will continue to buy pirated CDs as ling as they don’t shout “pirated” in the middle of the song, no one's gonna know if its pirated or not when u jamming
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by HRhotness(f): 10:20am On Apr 09, 2008
rite2salas:

as long as they don’t shout “pirated” in the middle of the song,

LOL
perharps record companies should try this
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by kobikwelu(m): 11:25am On Apr 09, 2008
personally, i dont see any thing wrong with buying pirated cd, if its foreign. but when its nigerian, iam against it.
its foreign, then the money is being made by our ibo boys in alaba and it hurts only the billon dollar oyinbo industry.but when they pirate our artistes music then they are leechin of their fellow nigerians.and that selfish!!!!!

the problem however, is its avalability.when u can get any cd of your choice by the road side for as low as 100!.who am i to say no!!! grin grin
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by mrjuwon: 4:29pm On Apr 09, 2008
I feel Nigerian artists are not capitalising on the internet very well. And not just them, American artists as well. Nut most Naija artist online sometimes have a link that says click here to buy from iTunes and I willing click it but hey presto! no dey work. To think, buyin one nigerina track though iTunes would make these guys soo much money considering the exchange rate as buyin one track at £1 would almost wipe off the loss of one pirate album. Therefore buying a full album through itunes would be blessed for them. But hey, who am i to keep iving such ideas. They know better. 9ice's website is not even working and most of my friends in UK are clamouring for the album. We could go Upton Park and there is some woman there that sells all these pirate but we are waiting for www.myafricanbargains.com to stock it. I swear they themselves sell pirate, it could be original but how would we know. I reckon the monies they spend on shining should be saved and come up with coming up wit a nice plan to distribute their Original cds to those willing to pay at home and abroad.

That being said, to those piraters responsible for the 40 in 1 DVD. i don't know what to say. *cries* you hve been responsible for countless chilling wih the boys and chilling with the gf moments. Please keep it up lol. You keep my oyinbo friend amazed at the ingenuity lol. They love it. Allow walking to Bloakcbusters, I have 40 in 1. Thats a whole month of movies lol

SUPPORT NAIJA MUSIC
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by iice(f): 4:36pm On Apr 09, 2008
lekush:

1)They are cheaper

Nice one!!!

laughin ma frozen butt off grin grin grin

Well, mostly because they are cheaper. But lately erhhh i've taken to downloading. Have no time to go running through CDs.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Echeozo(m): 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2008
?
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 10, 2008
I have never bought a CD in my life!!!!!!! tongue cool My sister does the buying, so my mind is free while listening to the pirated CDs tongue cool
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by TheSly: 11:49pm On Apr 10, 2008
I have never bought a CD in my life!!!!!!!
shocked
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 10, 2008
Why are you shocked? cheesy I don't need to buy one, my sisters do the buying cool Why should I waste my money? tongue
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by TheSly: 11:58pm On Apr 10, 2008
That is the reason why most of 'em Naija artists are living in "Face me & Face U'' Apartments embarassed
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by TCUBE(m): 4:40am On Apr 11, 2008
do people still buy CD'S? The world as moved to Ipod, mp3 downloads and free online music downloads, limewire and the rest, who cares if the cd is fake or original, people are downloading mehn!
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by TheSly: 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2008
do people still buy CD'S?
Yes because most naija artists are not available on itunes or limewire .

But i prefer itunes. . . their quality is superb!. . .i rarely buy Cds.
Re: Why Do You Buy Pirated CDs? Is It Wrong? by HRhotness(f): 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2008
TCUBE:

do people still buy CD'S? The world as moved to Ipod, mp3 downloads and free online music downloads, limewire and the rest, who cares if the cd is fake or original, people are downloading mehn!

plus its cheaper, u have no problems with scratched or broken cds. and if properly backed up, u never ever loose ur fav albums grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mention Foreign Songs That Are Worthy Of Download / Weeknd Starboy Album Out. Download Link / Sarkodie Is Better Than All Naija Rappers..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.