Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,582 members, 7,812,902 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs (79917 Views)

Why Islam Prohibits Gambling / Why Islam In Northern Nigeria Is Different From The South / American Company Sells Pork-laced Bullets To Fight Islamic Terrorists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by tintingz(m): 4:49pm On Apr 23, 2013
Samsantos9:
The pigs were the only creatures there at that time had it been they were goats the would have also been sent to the goats.
remember the verse said the demons begged Jesus to teleport them inside pigs... grin
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by FindOut(m): 4:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
ItsModella:
I don't know if to classify this one's post as religious ignorance. Seriously, where in the Bible does it say eating pork is a sin? Isn't Mark 7:18-19 explicit enough for you? Or Acts 10:9-15?

The extent you people go to deny that something is not a sin baffles me.

So all foods are really clean? Every food on earth both plant and animal is safe for human consumption??
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by hayubee(m): 4:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
Not supized d qur'an says even if u invite dem 2 d straith path dey would turn away in arrogance! Nice rite up@ op. D qur'an says on dat day dey wil say 2 dir lord wit dir own mouth indeed we av wronged our soul

2 Likes

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by FindOut(m): 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2013
"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass."
[Deuteronomy 14:8]

I think this is loud and clear enough for anyone who truly claims to believe in THE BIBLE.

2 Likes

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by maclatunji: 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2013
ItsModella: Hypocrisy at its finest. Because na you holy pass...nonsense.

Awwww, don't be offended. It is your good health and salvation we seek.

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by gramci: 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Pigs will never be clean, no matter how hard you try.

Very ignorant post
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by wellmax(m): 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2013
If these were true then all pork eater would have been dead by now.
Didn't believe a thing.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by coldgate(f): 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
@ poster: kindly rewind no 6. It seems I have found my best meat o!
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by okpurukata(f): 5:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
This writer is distorting the facts. A little investigation on google reveals that this is not the reason the prophet banned pork meat. History has it that after oner of their jihads, the prophet and his men enjoyed the spoils of war and ate and drank so much that they got drunk. They actually feasted on pork.

In regret for his getting drunk, he issued a new law (vision) banning the consumption of alcohol and pork meat. It actually has nothing to do with the reasons posted by the mod.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by amanikondo: 5:40pm On Apr 23, 2013
I had 2 muslim always hungry room mates that will finish all the soup wey my Mama cook for me. I had to tell Mama say make she cook Pork Soup for me one time. When these hungry boys saw the tantalizing pork meat, I told them this is pork and they cannot eat out of this soup.The 2 of them chop the pork meat with stew. They said if ANABI is in that hungry situation, he go chop am. Na that day dem know say pork meat sweet.I actually don't eat pork any more myself.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by tbaba1234: 5:47pm On Apr 23, 2013
All the reasons mentioned by the OP are not reasons at all.... The only reason muslims don't eat pork is because Allah said so, even if it was perfectly healthy, we will still not eat it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by mikeapollo: 5:52pm On Apr 23, 2013
The fish in the lagoon/sea eat virtually all what pigs eat. Do you eat fish?
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by bola4dprec(m): 5:57pm On Apr 23, 2013
The prohibition of pork in Islam is derived from the following verse of the Glorious Qur’an:

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.”

[Al-Qur'an 5:3]

Let us examine various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Prohibition in Earlier Scriptures

Islam is a culmination of the same monotheistic religion that was revealed to earlier prophets. Although the Glorious Qur’an is the only revelation that is extant in its original revealed text, some remnants of earlier revelations can be found in the Bible.

The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you”.

“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you.”

[Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.”

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

2. The Nature of Pork

The main utility of pigs in the ecosystem is as scavengers. They live and thrive on muck, feces and dirt.

It could be argued that in developed countries, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties, and so the chances of them consuming filth are very high.

3. Health Aspects

Research has shown correlation between pork consumption and several diseases. Eating pork can expose the individual to various helminthes (worms) like roundworm, pinworm and hookworm. One of the most dangerous of worms is Taenia Solium, which, in lay man’s terminology is called the pork tapeworm. It harbors in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, in the eye it can cause blindness, and in the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis (another worm commonly found in pork), twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that hypertension is a common ailment due to the prevalence of the consumption of pork.

Thus the prohibition of pork in Islam is a blessing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2013
I hated pork when I was in Nigeria but after eating pork cooked in several ways at some Chinese restaurant in the UK, it became one if my favorite meat.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by JaaizTech: 6:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
Find Out!:
"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass."

I think this is loud and clear enough for anyone who truly claims to believe in THE BIBLE.

Don't bother yourself trying to convince them about the evils of eating pig, they wouldn't bulge not because what you have said doesn't make sense to them but simply because the source of the instruction is from Islam; Allah has described the unbelievers as people who turn themselves away from the truth. Just to say: The reasons Allah instructed Muslims not to eat pigs isn't exactly clear, it may be for health reasons and it may be for other reasons beyond our comprehension. The important thing is that you adhere to what Allah has commanded of you.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by JaaizTech: 6:15pm On Apr 23, 2013
bola4dprec: The prohibition of pork in Islam is derived from the following verse of the Glorious Qur’an:

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.”

[Al-Qur'an 5:3]

Let us examine various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Prohibition in Earlier Scriptures

Islam is a culmination of the same monotheistic religion that was revealed to earlier prophets. Although the Glorious Qur’an is the only revelation that is extant in its original revealed text, some remnants of earlier revelations can be found in the Bible.

The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you”.

“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you.”

[Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.”

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

2. The Nature of Pork

The main utility of pigs in the ecosystem is as scavengers. They live and thrive on muck, feces and dirt.

It could be argued that in developed countries, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties, and so the chances of them consuming filth are very high.

3. Health Aspects

Research has shown correlation between pork consumption and several diseases. Eating pork can expose the individual to various helminthes (worms) like roundworm, pinworm and hookworm. One of the most dangerous of worms is Taenia Solium, which, in lay man’s terminology is called the pork tapeworm. It harbors in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, in the eye it can cause blindness, and in the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis (another worm commonly found in pork), twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that hypertension is a common ailment due to the prevalence of the consumption of pork.

Thus the prohibition of pork in Islam is a blessing.

I think it is time for Christians to really tell us the source of the religion they practice, they mostly violate the dictates of the Bible and yet keep claiming that it is their holy book, especially Pentecostalism, I think those ones just follow the whims and caprices of their self-acclaimed pastors.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by maclatunji: 6:24pm On Apr 23, 2013
gramci:

Very ignorant post

Coming from you, I will take that as a compliment.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by yusuf01(m): 6:44pm On Apr 23, 2013
I believe you should all read this

m.psychologytoday.com/blog/perfect-health-diet/201202/is-pork-still-dangerous

Remember that it is from psychology today,
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by yusuf01(m): 6:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
okpurukata: This writer is distorting the facts. A little investigation on google reveals that this is not the reason the prophet banned pork meat. History has it that after oner of their jihads, the prophet and his men enjoyed the spoils of war and ate and drank so much that they got drunk. They actually feasted on pork.

In regret for his getting drunk, he issued a new law (vision) banning the consumption of alcohol and pork meat. It actually has nothing to do with the reasons posted by the mod.

I wonder where you people get your lies from... A simple 'google' search? When all these sites will say anything just to tarnish Islam?

You guys will go any length to display your hatred towards islam....

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by tbaba1234: 7:03pm On Apr 23, 2013
Report Finds 69% Of Pork Contaminated With Bacteria

An analysis in the January 2013 issue of Consumer Reports magazine revealed 69% of pork chops and ground pork that the organization sampled from around the U.S. tested positive for Yersinia enterocolitica, a bacteria that, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), can result in fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Consumer Reports also found 3-7% of the samples harbored salmonella, staphylococcus aureus or listeria monocytogenes, other common pathogens for foodborne illness. Twenty-three percent of the samples contained none of the tested bacteria.

Of the 198 samples, the organization found other alleged complications with the "other white meat." The sampling also claims that some of the bacteria were resistant to typical antibiotics that are used to treat foodborne illnesses, such as amoxicillin, penicillin, tetracycline and streptomycin. Of the 132 samples with Yersinia enterocolitica, 121 of those were resistant to one or more antibiotics.

"The frequent use of low-dose antibiotics in pork farming may be accelerating the growth of drug-resistant 'superbugs' that threaten human health," said Consumer Reports.

The National Pork Board responded to the report in National Hog Farmer magazine. "We believe Consumer Reports has not accurately portrayed the safety and quality of pork products," said chief executive officer Chris Novak.

"Farms are a natural environment where bacteria are present, so farmers have invested millions of dollars in research to understand how antibiotics and other tools can help us produce a healthier, safer, product for consumers," added Steve Larsen, director of pork safety.

In a separate Consumer Reports sampling, one-fifth of 240 pork products contained traces of ractopamine, a controversial veterinary drug that promotes both growth and leanness in farm animals. Ractopamine was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 1999 for hogs, but it is banned in approximately 160 other countries - including China and the European Union.

Tested pork brands in the Consumer Report analysis include:

- Angelo Caputo's

- Bashas'

- Bristol Farms

- Butera

- Denmark

- Dominick's

- Edmar

- El Toreo Market

- Farmer John

- Farmer John California Natural

- Farmland

- Food 4 Less

- Fred Meyer

- Fresh & Easy

- The Fresh Market

- Giant

- Hempler's

- Hormel

- Hormel Natural Choice

- Meijer

- Nature's Promise

- Nature's Rancher

- Northwest Finest

- PCC Natural Markets

- Publix

- Ralphs

- Roseland

- Safeway

- Save-a-Lot

- Smithfield

- Sprouts Farmers Market and Farmers Market Old Tym

- Swift Premium

- Tender Choice

- Ultra Foods

- Viet Wah

- Vons

- Walmart

- Wegmans

- Weis

- Whole Foods

- Winn Dixie

The CDC estimates that 48 million Americans each year contract a foodborne illness. To prevent Y. enterocolitica infections, the federal agency recommends the following steps:

1. Avoid eating raw or undercooked pork.

2. Consume only pasteurized milk or milk products.

3. Wash hands with soap and water before eating and preparing food, after contact with animals, and after handling raw meat.

4. After handling raw chitterlings, clean hands and fingernails scrupulously with soap and water before touching infants or their toys, bottles, or pacifiers. Someone other than the food handler should care for children while chitterlings are being prepared.

5. Prevent cross-contamination in the kitchen: Use separate cutting boards for meat and other foods. Carefully clean all cutting boards, counter-tops, and utensils with soap and hot water after preparing raw meat.

6. Dispose of animal feces in a sanitary manner.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/report-finds-69-of-pork-contaminated-with-bacteria/
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by pure123: 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
I ATE IT ONCE BUT THE FAT IS TOO MUCH THAT'S WHY I DONT LIKE IT
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
maclatunji:

I have- why?
Do you know that pigs dont eat that. They eat virtually everything from dead pig to people but they never eat akpu. Go figure!
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by PalmTree(m): 7:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
Just as Tbaba has posted, Moslems don't eat pork because Allah said so, not because of some gibberish compiled by the OP. The OP could have admitted to this instead of trying to reconcile science with religion. No one asked you to show how science has proved what the Prophet (s.a.w) said eons back, if you detest pork, good for you and if you like it #chop am belleful# c'est finis

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by searay(m): 7:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
KingBauer: This is garbage..

Pigs are Omnivores same as Humans, Dogs, Chickens and Fish -especially Nigerian Delicacy: Catfish. Catfish farmers in the house will confirm that Catfish will eat anything from Plant matter to Cerelac to Rotting Animal Carcasses infested with Maggots.
Are you less of a Muslim for eating Catfish?

Show us scientific proof of this

Another lie. Beef is actually easier to digest than Pork.

Beef takes about 3-4 hours to digest, while Pork takes 4.5 -5 hours.
http://www.eatingdisorderpro.com/2012/05/30/digesting-animal-protein/
http://www.qualityhealth.com/eating-nutrition-articles/5-hardest-foods-digest

To the best of my knowledge Cows, Goats, and Sheep also do not sweat. Neither do dogs or cats. In fact I only remember Horses and Humans as Mammals who thermo-regulate using sweat

Another lie.
See below From wikipidia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine

This is because snakes have more subcutaneous fat and less vascular tissue under their skin making it harder for snake venom to get into their bloodstream.

Leave your freshly butchered beef out for a few days and see what happens

The first part is true, but by cooking the meat at high heat any parasites are killed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig

And beef has been proven to be less healthy eating than Fish or White Meat. SO WHAT?

Hahaha are you for real? Cows have 4 stomachs due to the natural inability to digest plant Fibre. Pigs are monogastric...same as us Humans!

Rabies can be transfered from Dog to Humans. Avian flu can be transferred from Birds to Humans. Aids was allegedly transferred from Monkeys to Humans. So your point is?

Cook your meat properly and you will be fine.

What is this rubbish? Please identify this canal!

Banning a food for Religious reasons is fine. You cant argue with religion as its not based on Logic anyway. But dont try and pass off lies as proof that religion and science work hand in hand.

Maclantunji! you should know better!
Thankyou for this excellent response to this t h r a s h here. Not a single point here is true about the pig. At least to the best of my knowledge as an Animal Scientist.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by bukatyne(f): 9:14pm On Apr 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Bible

The corrupted or non corrupted version?
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by Queenw: 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
Pig meat sweet die,who nowa eat pig meat dey miss die i beg hurry up go test am.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by maclatunji: 10:35pm On Apr 23, 2013
bukatyne:

The corrupted or non corrupted version?

You never cease to amuse me. When are we going to have our debate?
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by tayour917i(m): 11:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
diarra94: I dont understand, was it scientist then who researched all this and told prophet mohammed about it and he made it a comandment nt to eat pork or what? cos ur ONLY giving us scientific and not religious reasons nt to eat pork.

Guy use your head now, the quoted Quran verse is not Prophet Mohammed's commandment, must you trigger any problem..... Be positive.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by twilliamx(m): 12:09am On Apr 24, 2013
maclatunji:

Pigs will never be clean, no matter how hard you try.

Well the true God knew there will be discussion like this and that was why he said in the bible that all he created is good,if the pig was so terrible, why then did he create it, the true God who truly love us knows that we might find ourselves in situation of lack and hunger and eating the pig will keep u alive, so are you saying now(GOD FORBID) that u are so hungry and about to die and someone brings better roasted pork for u to eat, u no go chop am. don't deceive ur self, everything God made is good and if it can save your life when the situation arises, then he can't forbid it. Come and serve the true God..
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 24, 2013
tintingz: Matthew 8:31 The demons begged Jesus, "If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs."

Becareful of what you eat madam grin
ogbeni..so those demonic pigs are still alive, or its their offspring dat are now spread over the world?? C'mon park very well joor!. Btw sef, those herds of pigs dat d demons eventually possessed were drowned instantly, so what are u talking??
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by usayab(m): 12:13am On Apr 24, 2013
diarra94: I dont understand, was it scientist then who researched all this and told prophet mohammed about it and he made it a comandment nt to eat pork or what? cos ur ONLY giving us scientific and not religious reasons nt to eat pork.
prophet Muhammad is the father of science. Can you name any scientis b4 the coming of prophet Muhammad? no! Do you know it was prophet Muhammad that is first person to pronounce there are 24 hours in a day. Many things we see in physics,biology,chemistry e.t.c. Are there available in Quran! Don't let sentiment to manifest ur high level of ignorancy.
Re: Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs by maclatunji: 12:25am On Apr 24, 2013
twilliamx:

Well the true God knew there will be discussion like this and that was why he said in the bible that all he created is good,if the pig was so terrible, why then did he create it, the true God who truly love us knows that we might find ourselves in situation of lack and hunger and eating the pig will keep u alive, so are you saying now(GOD FORBID) that u are so hungry and about to die and someone brings better roasted pork for u to eat, u no go chop am. don't deceive ur self, everything God made is good and if it can save your life when the situation arises, then he can't forbid it. Come and serve the true God..

You have mixed-up a lot of issues there. You don't know how confused you are and I don't think I have the time to try to help you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Beautiful Arewa Girls Celebrate Sallah With Stunning Photos / What Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) Thought Of Black People / How To Get Rid Of Jinn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.