Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) (103729 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Coming Out Of Aso Villa! Has It Always Been Like This? / President Jonathan Accused Of Owning A $500m Farm In Abuja - The Nation / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 15, 2013
^^
Abuja was created because Lagos and become too chaotic. Surely, a nation's capital needs some semblance of order and beauty.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by blackmale1: 7:32pm On Apr 15, 2013
poor photography...nothing stunning about these pics...

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 7:41pm On Apr 15, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city. Just like Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

Comparing Abuja to the village of Milton Keynes is a gross insult. Kindly retract.

Abuja lacks character
What exactly does it mean for a place to ''lack character''? It's one of those terms bandied about that signify little. Washington DC is the US capital. It's a very serene city, not bubbly like NY or LA. Not every city has to be bubbly and congested to be worthy.

and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption.

Name us ONE city that is an emblem of decency, probity and honesty.

A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people.

What did you expect? A capital city filled with slums, in order to reflect what you consider to be the ''plight of the people''?

no wonder it empties out on weekends and during public holiday.

It only ''empties out'' in your head.

While China , Korea ,Thailand ,Taiwan,Singapore, UAE,Indonesia,Malaysia ,chile

There we go again. What foreigners do is always better than what Nigerians do.

You forgot to list Paris, Milan, New York, Rome, Genoa, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston.

even Ghana etc where busy gearing up and retooling for the 21st century, nigeria was busy building a mirage.a so called showpiece.

Ghana was doing what?

Even brazil stopped wasting money on brasilia (the capital from which the Abuja was copied

First of all Abuja was not ''copied'' from Brasilia any more than Lagos was 'copied' from London. Just because both cities were purpose-built does not imply that one was ''copied'' from the other. They both have very different masterplans and objectives for their development.

Let us just keep deceiving ourselves .
The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys

Why don't you start by labelling yourself a thief? Afterall you are living middle class and surfing online while your countrymen are 'starving'. Kindly return all the money you stole to do all that. (Surely you don't think you have the monopoly on blindly labelling other Nigerians 'thieves'?)

37 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:08pm On Apr 15, 2013
Rossikk good job let me join with mine.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:09pm On Apr 15, 2013
More Abuja pics

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
More

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2013
Bloody site won't let me put up the really nice ones undecided Oh well it's a beautiful city y'all.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
More

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2013
A very drab, souless and colorless city. A colossal waste of resources...

What's in that lifless place anyways? You are on the second page and already recycling the same ugly pictures...

smh.....

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 15, 2013
^^
To be fair, it's been only 22 years since IBB officially moved the Seat of govt to Abuja. With the ongoing plans for a World Trade Centre and other recreational facilities, I believe the Abuja environment will be more bubbly than today.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by purpleclouds: 8:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
Hateritis is in full effect.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2013
Eko Ile: A very drab, souless and colorless city. A colossal waste of resources...

What's in that lifless place anyways? You are on the second page and already recycling the same ugly pictures...

smh.....

Ok Mr Colossal Mouth tell us a city that has soul in it. I live in London,lived in Lagos,lived Abuja,been to Paris,Amsterdam, Portland, Atlanta,Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver (i'll stop here before it starts to sound silly)My point is while it can be a bit boring it's still a lovely city to live in and i know because i've seen cities buddy.

So don't diss the city if you have nothing constructive to say!

19 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by OmoEziokwu: 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city. Just like Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom , Abuja lacks character and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption. A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people.no wonder it empties out on weekends and during public holiday.
While China , Korea ,Thailand ,Taiwan ,Singapore ,UAE,Indonesia,Malaysia ,chile ,even Ghana etc where busy gearing up and retooling for the 21st century, nigeria was busy building a mirage.a so called showpiece.
Even brasil stopped wasting money on brazilia (the capital from which the Abuja was copied) and concentrated on where the true wealth of the country was made , kept and people lived.camberra (another show piece capital)was not created at the expense of the other cities.
Let us just keep deceiving ourselves .
The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys

Salute!

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Bawss1(m): 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
Those pictures, I suspect, were taken perhaps in 2007-2010. Then Abuja was serene clean and lovely, unfortunately that can't be said about the FCT now, the city's population is growing by the day and the rest of the problems that plague Nigerian cities are starting to catch up. Add to this the current security challenge the country is experiencing(concrete road blocks, checkpoints, restricted streets) and a truer picture of the present day Abuja presents itself. Abuja is a beautiful city no doubt the question is how long will it's beauty last.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Krucifax(m): 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2013
Bawss1: Those pictures, I suspect, were taken perhaps in 2007-2010. Then Abuja was serene clean and lovely, unfortunately that can't be said about the FCT now, the city's population is growing by the day and the rest of the problems that plague Nigerian cities are starting to catch up. Add to this the current security challenge the country is experiencing(concrete road blocks, checkpoints, restricted streets) and a truer picture of the present day Abuja presents itself. Abuja is a beautiful city no doubt the question is how long will it's beauty last.

A partially true but inevitable assessment my friend. Welcome to modern day economic migration. Lagos is actually going to get it worse if the population demographics that have been forecast are anything to go by.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2013
Krucifax:

Ok Mr Colossal Mouth tell us a city that has soul in it. I live in London,lived in Lagos,lived Abuja,been to Paris,Amsterdam, Portland, Atlanta,Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver (i'll stop here before it starts to sound silly)My point is while it can be a bit boring it's still a lovely city to live in and i know because i've seen cities buddy.

So don't diss the city if you have nothing constructive to say!

We obviously have different interpretation for the word beautiful so stick to yours and let me stick to mine.

Again, the place looks very drab, lifeless and colorless. Reminds me of places. like North Korea, Bulgaria and Romania with dated Architecture and designs....
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by billante(m): 8:48pm On Apr 15, 2013
Eko Ile:

We obviously have different interpretation for the word beautiful so stick to yours and let me stick to mine.

Again, the place looks very drab, lifeless and colorless. Reminds me of places. like North Korea, Bulgaria and Romania with dated Architecture and designs....

Pls somebody should rate dis Brain!

5 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ndiofeajoka: 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2013
Eko Ile:

cheesy cheesy because it represents something like those countries!
Architecture speaks a lot. You just need to listen. Abuja represents something that cannot self-sustain. undecided
It dies the day Nigeria dies!
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 9:02pm On Apr 15, 2013

^^^^^^^ Main Uni in the same ugly federal capital. This is your reality.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 9:17pm On Apr 15, 2013
ndiofeajoka:

cheesy cheesy because it represents something like those countries!
Architecture speaks a lot. You just need to listen. Abuja represents something that cannot self-sustain. undecided
It dies the day Nigeria dies!

Apart from the drab and lifeless place it is, Abuja is a figment of some people's imagination while to other's it's a place where they go to follow the money.

You are right about the end game sha. I see Abuja defaulting to the North and it's down hill from there... Not that it makes any difference to me because the places means nothing to me.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Inik(m): 9:40pm On Apr 15, 2013
Abuja is a beautiful city, infact it is one of the most beautiful cities in Africa. The city looks well planned with breathtaking views. However i don"t think Nigerians have any sentimental attachment to the city.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 10:36pm On Apr 15, 2013
Inik: Abuja is a beautiful city, infact it is one of the most beautiful cities in Africa. The city looks well planned with breathtaking views.

However i don't think Nigerians have any sentimental attachment to the city.

They would if it were located in their state or ethnic region.

It is located in no one's ethnic region so it draws neither love nor hate. Just a mild indifference. Mindsets need to change. wink

On the bright side, you'll find, if you actually live in the city for a while, that Abuja residents have developed a strong community sense that is much underrated by outsiders.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by EkoIle1: 11:04pm On Apr 15, 2013
Rossikk:

They would if it were located in their ethnic region.

It is located in no one's ethnic region so it draws neither love nor hate. Just ... indifference. Mindsets need to change.

You are Wong. Apart from the fact that the place is another ugly waste of human and capital resources, people detest the place for what it represents. Abuja doesn't reflect or represent the needs, hopes and aspirations of Nigerians except the the crooks and corrupt elements benefiting from what it presently represents.

Dodan Barracks was in Lagos, but Lagosians detested that place till the last second of their stay in lagos, represented repression, oppression, backwardness, pain, brutality, deaths and killings.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by BabaTony: 7:26am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikke pls if you have more pics show us Abeg. Quit exchanging discussions with those ppl whose aim is to derail the thread as soon as possible to their "own stuff". grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by lacasa: 8:12am On Apr 16, 2013
Nothinng unique undecided

Just structures n hotels, no history whatsoever to show Nigerian content

Go to capital cities like Moscow, Rome, Paris n u'ld see how original n how structures reek of the nation's history n ancestral architecture.

Abuja is just overrated, resembles a student civil engineer's final year project model that came to life

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 16, 2013
ABJ Rocks! Rossick, please stop replying these lunatics.

EKO ILE, please speak for yourself in all your posts. thanks. Abuja residents do have sentimental attachments to the city.....we are not just jobless enough to carry it on our foreheads, Atleast like Lagosians do. Your love for Lagos has blinded you. Oh! you think life starts and ends in your overhyped Lagos abi? Sorry, I'm not bored here......and i really detest the kinda 'gragra' life in Lagos; that's why I can't even dream of living in Lagos. You need to know, not all Nigerians have your taste...
Coming from a Lagosian, I can tell your definition of a 'lifeful' city is 'madness'. And your definition of 'lifeless city is definitely a 'sane city'. Thank God anyways that Fashola is gradually bringing sanity back to Lagos.

15 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by lonelydora: 9:16am On Apr 16, 2013
I miss Abuja so much, work brought me to this nonsense Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 16, 2013
@ Op this is really a breathless chase. was actually in Ceddi plaza this morning, precisely at GNC to get my mum her agingwell food suppliment which i'v waybilled already. Lol you also captured my office(from where am typing presently). In all, you did justice in the capturing cos you virtually got 60% of Abuja(I could title it "Abuja at a glance" though). BRAVO!

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2013
Eko Ile:

You are Wong. Apart from the fact that the place is another ugly waste of human and capital resources, people detest the place for what it represents. Abuja doesn't reflect or represent the needs, hopes and aspirations of Nigerians except the the crooks and corrupt elements benefiting from what it presently represents.

Dodan Barracks was in Lagos, but Lagosians detested that place till the last second of their stay in lagos, represented repression, oppression, backwardness, pain, brutality, deaths and killings.
We don't believe you. Was it not you that was hyping up every picture of Lagos I posted a few days ago, praising the infrastructural strides made there in post after post? A couple of days later the Uyo thread came up which you rubbished, and now Abuja to you is "ugly". Tell us something. Do you actually think Lagos is more beautiful than Abuja? If your answer is yes, keep deluding yourself. Abuja is 20 times more beautiful and better planned than Lagos. Sorry if that hurts your ethnic pride, as we know that is all that keeps you going, while the rest of the country "means nothing to you" to quote your own words.

19 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by chucky234(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2013
aasog1: Rossik is the only guy who makes Nigeria fell like a real country, and not all the Negative rubbish its been painted as. I wish the Nigerian press can temper their negative outcries and do something similar....Like I said, GEJ should employ this guy....Not all those f**ktards who cant even spell, and who curse everyone who ask logical questions from them; but since the president is a total racist, I wish him the best with those his village people working for him. Nice one bro!
Can't stop laughing,the govt should employ him as what pls,a photographer?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by dude(m): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2013
I'll like to see pictures of Karimo, Gwagwa,idu, Kubwa (Byazin across axis)Nyanya, and other slums!
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: We don't believe you. Was it not you that was hyping up every picture of Lagos I posted a few days ago, praising the infrastructural strides made there in post after post? A couple of days later the Uyo thread came up which you rubbished, and now Abuja to you is "ugly". Tell us something. Do you actually think Lagos is more beautiful than Abuja? If your answer is yes, keep deluding yourself. Abuja is 20 times more beautiful and better planned than Lagos. Sorry if that hurts your ethnic pride, as we know that is all that keeps you going, while the rest of the country " means nothing to you" to quote your own words.

Please don't associate anything to ethnic....thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos From President Buhari's Anambra Visit & APC Governorship Rally / Governor Wike Constructs Iron To Block Boundary Between Rivers & Abia / Asari Dokubo Surrounded By Soldiers In Rivers State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.