Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,176 members, 7,825,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) (103781 Views)

Beautiful Pictures Coming Out Of Aso Villa! Has It Always Been Like This? / President Jonathan Accused Of Owning A $500m Farm In Abuja - The Nation / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Arsenate(m): 10:27am On Apr 16, 2013
Abuja is hundred times more beautiful than lagos; there's no debate. Serene place. I love abuja.

5 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by DoffMan2: 10:29am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: So you agree you are a thief. Why point fingers instead of ending your own criminality?

When you end your's, I'll end mine.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Localamos(m): 10:32am On Apr 16, 2013
bloggernaija: A soulless city... Abuja lacks character and is nothing but an emblem of waste and corruption. A capital city that has no correlation to the plight of its people...The thieves have built themselves a fort and have thrown away the keys

I lived in Abuja for about 4 years before relocating, and the comments above vividly describe my perception of the city.

Gwarimpa estate is one of the largest estates in Africa, but its plan did not come with flee markets, police stations or hospitals/emergency centres. These facilities were improvised using duplexes that were not originally built for such purposes.

To Abuja residents, "life on the fast lane" means driving recklessly fast on super highways, only to end up in ghastly accidents.

You earn N300k monthly as a banker and you struggle to pay rent with half of your annual salary. Meanwhile your landlord is probably a driver with INEC! And you begin to wonder how these peple make it? Remember, curiosity killed the cat!

Go to Abuja and see that the fight against curroption is like facing a fast moving lorry.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 10:33am On Apr 16, 2013
Gaggi: A beautiful modern day city no doubt. But does a tree make a forest? Is Abuja a reflection of Nigeria? It doesn't represent the ancient cities of Benin, Ibadan or archaic cities of Aba, Umuahia or Katsina.
Abuja = Delusion
What ancient cities of Benin and Ibadan? Those are run-down places that are only just waking up to their duties and starting to look like the modern cities they ought to be. There is nothing traditional or Nigerian about rusty zinc roofs, dirt roads and open drains. Stop seeking to drag the nation backwards. Abuja should serve as an inspiration to other Nigerian cities to up their game.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by buklan4realyah(f): 10:34am On Apr 16, 2013
poor photography....... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided. Lagos Houses nd event centers better pass Abuja jor
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:35am On Apr 16, 2013
Rooneyboy: Are we expected to start clapping or what
U are expected to view and leave especially if u have nothing sensible to say

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by DoffMan2: 10:37am On Apr 16, 2013
Gaggi: A beautiful modern day city no doubt. But does a tree make a forest? Is Abuja a reflection of Nigeria? It doesn't represent the ancient cities of Benin, Ibadan or archaic cities of Aba, Umuahia or Katsina.
Abuja = Delusion

And do u know the sad fact about all this? After a period of time, the Bwari tribe etc, will come and lay claim to the area claiming they built it (with Yam money?). Abuja o ni baje!
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 10:37am On Apr 16, 2013
Doff_Man:

When you end your's, I'll end mine.
You claimed to be a thief because you are Nigerian. Go sort yourself out. I've nothing to do with you.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: This is absolute garbage. What ancient cities of Benin and Ibadan? Those are run-down places that are only just waking up to their duties and starting to look like the modern cities they ought to be. There is nothing traditional or Nigerian about rusty zinc roofs and dirt roads. Stop seeking to drag the nation backwards. Abuja should serve as an inspiration to other Nigerian cities to up their game.

Read and comprehend. I said Abuja is fine no doubt but it gives the impression to foreigners that the country is beautiful and the people are doing good. Abuja does not reflect the squalor plaguing the country as seen in Benin, Ibadan, Katsina and other run down cities. Abuja is a city our politicians use in deluding themselves.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by DoffMan2: 10:46am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: You claimed to be a thief because you are Nigerian. Go sort yourself out. I've nothing to do with you.

How can I sort myself out when ogas on top like you haven't? I believe in the top down method.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ROYALD(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2013
nice
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2013
Gaggi:

Read and comprehend. I said Abuja is fine no doubt but it gives the impression to foreigners that the country is beautiful and the people are doing good. Abuja does not reflect the squalor plaguing the country as seen in Benin, Ibadan, Katsina and other run down cities. Abuja is a city our politicians use in deluding themselves.
No, YOU read and comprehend. Abuja is a purpose built capital city. It is absurd to expect it to "reflect the squalor" of older cities which have been subjected to neglect by various state governments. Stop talking about "our politicians". Talk about YOUR state politicians. The federal govt built Abuja for Nigerians. If the cities in your state are decrepit, it is not the federal govt's fault, but your state govt. Is Uyo not in Nigeria? What about Owerri and Enugu? These are relatively clean, developed cities courtesy of their responsive state administrations. If Benin or Ibadan looks decrepit, don't blame it on "our politicians". Blame it on the politicians and leaders of those states specifically.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Arsenate(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2013
Heck, why are we even comparing Abuja with that chaotic and hugely disorganised Lagos? As a matter of fact I'd prefer to live in so many other Nigerian cities than lagos, no jokes here. You lagosians can keep your chaos, congestion and traffic that you call "soul".

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Lilimax(f): 10:53am On Apr 16, 2013
Arsenate: Abuja is hundred times more beautiful than lagos; there's no debate. Serene place. I love abuja.
Who is comparing Abuja with Lagos ? Headquater of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by latola05(m): 10:53am On Apr 16, 2013
Those beautiful pictures represent inequality, injustice and corruption. I do not get freaked about it, let the government visit other states and do justice, we need equal distribution of our resources. shikena!
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by caesaraba(m): 10:54am On Apr 16, 2013
buklan4real@yah:
poor photography....... undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided. Lagos Houses nd event centers better pass Abuja jor

With you lot, everything is a comparison with Lagos. Calm down, the thread is about Abuja, not lasgidi.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by forkinsonlolo(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2013
BEAUTIFUL, I'LL GO TO ABUJA ONE DAY
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Lilimax(f): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2013
Localamos:

I lived in Abuja for about 4 years before relocating, and the comments above vividly describe my perception of the city.

Gwarimpa estate is one of the largest estates in Africa, but its plan did not come with flee markets, police stations or hospitals/emergency centres. These facilities were improvised using duplexes that were not originally built for such purposes.

To Abuja residents, "life on the fast lane" means driving recklessly fast on super highways, only to end up in ghastly accidents.

You earn N300k monthly as a banker and you struggle to pay rent with half of your salary. Meanwhile your landlord is probably a driver with INEC! And you begin to wonder how these peple make it?

Go to Abuja and see that the fight against curroption is like facing a fast moving lorry.
You've said it all. Like I said previously, it is the headquarter of corruption. Thank goodness that those people looting the treasury of this nation are no longer safe even in Abuja. The evil they did and are still perpetrating will keep on hunting them except they repent.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2013
latola05: Those beautiful pictures represent inequality, injustice and corruption. I do not get freaked about it, let the government visit other states and do justice, we need equal distribution of our resources. shikena!
Spare us your misery. Those pictures represent what YOUR state govt should be doing, but apparently isn't. It's not the federal govt's job to "visit other states" and replicate Abuja. It is your state government's job to upgrade your cities. Your state gets allocation of billions of dollars yearly. And also has natural resources it can exploit to raise capital. You have no excuse. Stop blaming Abuja for your own inefficiency.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Venchy: 11:02am On Apr 16, 2013
[size=14pt]Can somebody explain the meaning of all this to me, completely childish and senseless when people are Hungry, no jobs, no Health care for Ordinary people and TOTAL DARKNESS as well as NO SECURITY yet somebody think pictures of a FALSE CITY full of ROGUES is the next thing Nigerians wants to see.

Total disconnection from the citizens. [/size]
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Koolking(m): 11:03am On Apr 16, 2013
Beautiful is an understatement. Thanks Rossikks for those brilliant pics of Abuja. Jokingly!!Op, are you that ruffian wearing G-unit T-shirt?

1 Like

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: No, YOU read and comprehend. Abuja is a purpose built capital city. It is absurd to expect it to "reflect the squalor" of older cities which have been subjected to neglect by various state governments. Stop talking about "our politicians". Talk about YOUR state politicians. The federal govt built Abuja for Nigerians. If the cities in your state are decrepit, it is not the federal govt's fault, but your state govt. Is Uyo not in Nigeria? What about Owerri and Enugu? These are relatively clean, developed cities courtesy of their responsive state administrations. If Benin or Ibadan looks decrepit, don't blame it on "our politicians". Blame it on the politicians and leaders of those states specifically.

I find the bolded offensive dude.
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 11:07am On Apr 16, 2013
django1:

I find the bolded offensive dude.
Why? They do look decrepit. And the blame lies squarely with the state leadership they've been saddled with for decades.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 11:09am On Apr 16, 2013
Koolking: Beautiful is an understatement. Thanks Rossikks for those brilliant pics of Abuja. Jokingly!!Op, are you that ruffian wearing G-unit T-shirt?
Not at all...lol
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by antontech(m): 11:11am On Apr 16, 2013
Beautiful city indeed
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Arsenate(m): 11:15am On Apr 16, 2013
Lilimax:
You've said it all. Like I said previously, it is the headquarter of corruption. Thank goodness that those people looting the treasury of this nation are no longer safe even in Abuja. The evil they did and are still perpetrating will keep on hunting them except they repent.
very funny. They are now playing holier than thou. Lagos, a city where most youths are into yahoo yahoo (for the guys) and lovepeddling (for the girls). Lagos isn't exactly "pure". Talk another thing.

5 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by ossaisly(m): 11:20am On Apr 16, 2013
Abegi, when has ordinary office building owned by mainly foreigners has become a serious development to reckon with?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by brown3: 11:22am On Apr 16, 2013
Rossikk: Shouldn't you direct your query to the state governments? It's not the federal govt's job to fix their cities. If you look at Abuja, there's really not much that was spent on it. It just enjoys enlightened development. They build roads and have pedestrian sidewalks with covered drainage etc. and they plant grass in open spaces. They build public parks that are well maintained. All that doesn't cost multi-million dollars. State govts until recently just built roads with no thought for aesthetics, with open gutters and sandy sides etc. Now they're doing better. It's not all about money, but enlightenment.
some time i wonder where those sand come from. Pls can any body tell me why we always have a sandy side in our road.?
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by matrixme(m): 11:25am On Apr 16, 2013
So are we to eat the curves of the city's architecture or what exactly? I bet Calabar has better designs, from the pictures we see of it. Personally, I would rate Abuja very poorly interms of city infrastructure and systems. What is a capital city without a concentration of really 'gigantic' skyscrapers first of all? Not tall storey buildings, Lol. Having known much of the best parts of Abuja, I dare say Lagos is the future of Nigeria. Even the name is enough to inspire romance ;-)
Thankfully, this expo was created by the same person :
https://www.nairaland.com/364691/beautiful-calabar-pictures
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 16, 2013
dude: I'll like to see pictures of Karimo, Gwagwa,idu, Kubwa (Byazin across axis)Nyanya, and other slums!
I laugh in gwari....
Kubwa my dear is better than what you call GRA in lagos not to mention the new karmo. May be you should revisit places you termed 'slums' again including nyanya, and you would be surprised at the transformation.

I love Abuja, haters quit hating grin
Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by Rossikk(m): 11:35am On Apr 16, 2013
brown3: some time i wonder where those sand come from. Pls can any body tell me why we always have a sandy side in our road.?
It is simply lack of interest on the part of the state govts that build such roads. Then when the federal govt does it the right way in Abuja, they resent it and blame "corruption" for Abuja looking like a different country. Of course the right way to build a road - any road - is to ensure you build an adjoining pedestrian sidewalk which covers the drainage. You make sure the sidewalk hits the walls of the buildings on the side, so there is no room for sand to be on that road, even in a hundred years, the place will still look clean. Simple common sense and enlightenment that doesn't cost the earth. But when you build roads without sidewalks, just open gutters on the side, you invite sand to the roadside, you deny pedestrians a walkway which is their right, and you condemn people to "environmental clean up" days where they have to dig up rubbish from the open gutters and all what not. So it's all about how you construct the roads at first instance.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) by sirfemoz(m): 11:41am On Apr 16, 2013
Have taken some time to go through comments of some people here, and I understood one thing, Nigerians are never proud/patriotic of what they have. If Nigerians visit foreign land, they will appreciate the beauty of that place. back here at home, we are talking jibberish. Abuja is the fastest growing capital city in Africa. Would you all rather prefer if you visit the capital of your country and it looks like a slum? The other day, it was the pictures of Uyo that was displayed here, we all applauded to that. Few days ago, it was pictures of Lagos, we all applauded to that, but to some, they didn't because they had a biased mind. Abuja is a well planned city, its not a must that everybody will live there. If your income do not measure up, there are some cities in Nigeria that you can live comfortably and happy. Appreciate your Government, nobody will be in the seat of government and be perfect. My fellow Nairalanders, no matter what you talk here on this forum, Abuja is still growing and moving on a fast lane. My advice to all who do not want to appreciate good things, "its either you join the moving train, or you stay back with you computer system and come up with a very constructive/educative argument. God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos From President Buhari's Anambra Visit & APC Governorship Rally / Governor Wike Constructs Iron To Block Boundary Between Rivers & Abia / Asari Dokubo Surrounded By Soldiers In Rivers State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.