Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,822 members, 7,817,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? (23154 Views)

Female Graduate Is A Taxi Driver In Abuja (photos) / How Much Do A Graduate Teacher Collected As Monthly Salary / Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by fpeter(f): 3:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
Nashville:

I agree with you but your story may not be complete. I am sure the people that applied for your bakery job are mostly not British and they probably went to some community college. If they are foreigners, they probably are in the UK illegally and just need whatever job to survive. I just want to point out that most British graduates wouldnt apply to work in your bakery.

But you are right about acquiring skills. I was reading a post yesterday and a young graduate was asking whether to go for a Masters or Professional course. And I thought, don't these people get tired of adding extra certificates? The certificates they already have, they have no clue how they will make a living from it, yet they want another certificate. Our young people should learn to have other skills and more importantly solve problems. You must remember that people pay you for solving a problem or meeting a need. Whether by providing a service or launching a product, you are meeting someone's need or solving a problem. Our young graduates should focus on those and there are lots of good business opportunities in Nigeria if only people could think out of the box. I agree capital might be an issue but the orientation needs to change from acquiring degrees to problem solving.

......Please highlight the opportunities available in Nigeria and also tell us the skills to acquire,people should learn to give solutions not speak plenty grammar and leave the matter unattended.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by sobastical: 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2013
john365: @ OP u are ryt but nt totally. i got a job as a telecoms engineer without knowing any practical thing abt telecoms, but the skills i have in IT actually made me a manager in jst 2 yrs of working. i spent my holidays in school learning every thing IT could offer-web design, programming, computer hardware and software, networking etc. my skill grew the biz from jst a telecoms service provider to a coy that provides services in website, programming, hardware and software, and networking. my skill chase others b4 away. But i feel am jst favored. the way u plan your life will tell u wat to do or which skill to learn or if its even necessary.

And your SKILL made you a manager not your certificate you got in school... Its the skill we are talking about sir.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by amanikondo: 4:13pm On Apr 17, 2013
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 17, 2013
fpeter: ......Please highlight the opportunities available in Nigeria and also tell us the skills to acquire,people should learn to give solutions not speak plenty grammar and leave the matter unattended.

Just go through the thread and you will hear people talk about different things from going into Fashion Designing to IT. I tell you what, people spend lots of hours in traffic everyday and they have families. What that tells me is that fast food will always sell in Nigeria. Have people thought of office deliveries? Working class people will pay you for not letting them go into traffic for lunch, or haviing to cook at night.

People have talked about IT skills. Why are people not developing Apps for smartphones wtih all the smartphones that abound in Nigeria. Nigeria is a "virgin market" where skilled and smart people can make a decent living. I know Capital is always an issue, hence taking advantage of these opportunities may be tough.

But rather than thinking of getting another Masters degree, you can invest the money to start some cross-boarder trade. Importing cloths, cars from the US etc.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by barikay: 4:58pm On Apr 17, 2013
ITbomb: IT skills and certifications give you a wide edge over others.
You shouldnt wait to be employ as entry level graduate, get some skills and be employ as an experienced professional.
Life Story.
even though u hav those IT skills u we still need a company/firm to employ u. We are talking of skills that makes u self reliance

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Ahmednaija: 6:04pm On Apr 17, 2013
Sincere Bigot: yeah.. you need to get good bed skilss lipsrsealed
ASHI TOO NA SKILLS
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by waldigit: 10:02pm On Apr 17, 2013
The whole process goes thus: identify your potentials, pick the best that have huge market, get into its industry to acquire skill if you dont have any yet, start a business solving problem in the industry, start smiling to bank. Cant pple just mind thier own business. On this I recommend a bible -like book "think and grow rich" by Napoleon Hill to Nigerian youth. If you read this and still remain complainant, then I recommend DELIVERANCE.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by fakinbosola(m): 10:38pm On Apr 17, 2013
nedu213: Skills? I no fit shout. Its even a biblical tin. Paul ws a tent maker na. I graduated in 2009, learnt data analysis skills wit software and started a consulting company aftawds. Much lata, I unda study a block factory and later started mine by divesting. Currently wokin on local area power distributn and owns an entrepreneurship blog. I tink ENTRENEURSHIP is the word. PM me for one on one talk.bbm 266C8991

Ur idea is great and I will like to contact you one on one but my nokia can't do the pinging.
Pls pm
Fakinbosola@gmail.com
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Nobody: 12:23am On Apr 18, 2013
Am still schooling,when I was at 100level I learnt music production so I am now a music producer and am also into forex trading,so even when I graduate I don't need to be searching for job,I will just use my music studio to make money and also the money I earn from forex trading too,so skills is very very important

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by esere826: 4:12am On Apr 18, 2013
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by esere826: 4:14am On Apr 18, 2013
bebe2: a few days ago i posted an ad for bakery workers(Bakery is in nigeria), got a few responds but i noticed they were all graduates.
they were very enthusiastic and wanted to work but i cudnt bear the tot of having a degree holder do menial jobs and i cant pay them.

i just got my first degree from a university here in manchester, went to see my uni for career advice and the lady specifically told me that being a graduate is not enough, i needed other skill for my cv to stand out.

now my question is, shud this be a public message in nigeria? whateveru want to read/study u shud also consider having vocational skills.

carpenters and plumbers can earn upto 40k per annum in the uk, but entry level salary for most graduate jobs range between 18-21k before tax o.
hope i got my point across cheesy
over to u great thinkers

over to u guys

@Op
Dangote hired PhD's as truck drivers
So u cld hire urs for your bakery

If theyve got tetiary level skills, and u've got ambition too
the mix should see your bakery business expand big time
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by pasco30(m): 7:01am On Apr 18, 2013
seconded
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by bebe2(f): 8:12am On Apr 18, 2013
esere826:

@Op
Dangote hired PhD's as truck drivers
So u cld hire urs for your bakery

If theyve got tetiary level skills, and u've got ambition too
the mix should see your bakery business expand big time

yeaaaaah, dat sounds alright. but am not there to oversee happenings.

and how long before the guy starts to feel used and abused? the day wey primary six dropout wet be the baker go curse am e go start to regret e life
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by esere826: 9:06am On Apr 18, 2013
bebe2:

yeaaaaah, dat sounds alright. but am not there to oversee happenings.

and how long before the guy starts to feel used and abused? the day wey primary six dropout wet be the baker go curse am e go start to regret e life

A graduate if sensible will soon learn and improve on the uneducated baker's skills
and get you to kick him once insults are one time too many

I guess the challenges is:
1)the graduate might soon get sloppy thinking that he's doing u a favour
2) The graduate would be actively looking for an alternative job
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by AjanleKoko: 10:12am On Apr 18, 2013
esere826:

A graduate if sensible will soon learn and improve on the uneducated baker's skills
and get you to kick him once insults are one time too many

I guess the challenges is:
1)the graduate might soon get sloppy thinking that he's doing u a favour
2) The graduate would be actively looking for an alternative job

I don't think the OP needs a graduate.
She probably can't manage them. Seeing as she is prolly young herself, and not so experienced in entrepreneurship, same graduates will step to her at every opportunity.

She's better off getting people who will not give her trouble. Dangote on his part has layers and layers of admin to deal with all dem graduate drivers. He has already hired thousands of graduates and non-graduates, so he can handle any drama. Any of them who tries to pull any stunt will prolly be out on their backside soon enough.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by kayjegs: 11:18am On Apr 18, 2013
You actually need skills and especially business skills. But you can develop your skills based on your area of interest. It is good to be focused even while acquiring skills. You can't just acquire any skills because everybody is doing it but know what you want and then get the requisite skills for it. Being a graduate especially requires that you have a potential to do business if you must survive. You can check out these threads to help you out in some business you have thought of and not have thought of which may require skills or not. As you build interest, skills will be acquired.

https://www.nairaland.com/1182280/funds-not-business-actually-need

and

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need

It is well with you.....
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by careermentor(m): 6:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
Folks, skills acquisition is surely the way out. The issue however is about the (what) skill to acquire. I will suggest that you look towards your hobbies. It is still the best indicator of what skills will serve you well, last and enable to have fun while using it. In essence I am saying don't just learn a skill just for the sake of getting a job - most people have skills that they cannot build a business on. Don't be one of them.
Wishing you the best!

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by kennysais: 6:13pm On Apr 22, 2013
well, most of this complains are caused by our leaders.
but we have power to change our lifes and make it be whatever we want it to be.
do your best and plan big

check out this link and you will find more advise on how to make things work for yourselves

http://jumpstarturcareer..com

keep excelling
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by hisable2: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2013
like this thread op weldone. pls what skills will i acquire as a Chem Engr that will add to my value
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by ajosegabriel(m): 11:06am On Jun 13, 2013
hello nairalanders need advice concerning this acqusitiön of skills. Am a student (nd1) precisely,studying public administration.in need of any skills to complement ma certificate..though that is not where am going to end my educational career.should i go for skills like generator repairing cos i once had a little knowledge before gaining admission or go for another skill after my i't ?and is there any skill that correlate with public administration which will make self dependent?please brothers and sisters in the house.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by MsSantaClaus(f): 1:13am On Jun 26, 2013
I posted this on another page, but I'm going to post it again here because I think it's relevant to this post and cannot be said enough. Enjoy or not

I have noticed on nairaland that many people don't like to listen to constructive criticism! How then do they expect to improve?

From my observation ,this particular forum is for careers and to be honest, after reading some comments , I often wonder how many members here ever expect to obtain a job!

What baffles me the most is the way some people have of expressing themselves, their grammar is peculiar and if that is what they go to an interview with, although I am aware of the high rate of unemployment or unavailability of jobs, I'm not surprised they are not being employed!

Whatever happened to self improvement? Why are the unemployed not using their time to improve their skills , even voluntary jobs are an opportunity to acquire some much needed skills.

Some people on these forums give the impression that they have been denied their rightful jobs whereas many of them do not have even the basic communication skills with which to hold down a job!

One thing many job applicants fail to realize is that, your interview starts with something as simple as your email address! "Sexybabyeyes@yahoo.com" is not an appropriate email address from which to send your c.v ,to a recruiter from.

As for shortening your words to something like "tnx" for example, will possibly get you an instant "DELETE".

People , take every available opportunity to improve yourselves , even if you have to pay.
The Internet is a treasure trove of free courses, avail yourselves of them.

It is simply laziness, sheer lack of imagination and initiative that makes one not seek self improvement!

Personal Branding pays off in the long run, reinvent yourself if you must!

No one owes you a job, you have to impress the recruiter into offering you one.

If you can come to nairaland every day to comment and criticize, then you can search out a free self improvement course on the Internet and IMPROVE YOURSELF! Gosh!!!

I'd like to add to this by saying, no skill is irrelevant! Above someone asked about generator repair! As long as someone has a need for the skill you have, you will never go hungry!

I never forget DMT mobile toilets, if you don't know what I mean , google it!
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by TOYNEX(f): 11:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
You can be ur own boss more easily @@@ ★★ ROTAD BEADS AND DECOR,
Located in Akure, Ondo State Nigeria ★★ For your
bead making, wire works, ankara/fabric jewelry,
yarn or cotton jewelery... We offer both online
and offline training... We make use of several
convenient and understandable techniques in
our online training at very affordable prices
including downloadable e-books with step by
step illustrated pictures. To prove our
effectiveness of online training and to help u
make a decision we offer 2-free classes for u
before payment, if u find d lectures
understandable and convenient... then opt in!
For more enquiries: CONTACT: 08030420155
( CALLS, SMS, Whatsapp) Facebook ID: rotad
beads and decor ; 2go ID: regcy E-mail: rotadbd@
gmail.com It's all about Jeweleries, beads and
more....♠♠♠ and we are everywhere with U...※
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by christian454(m): 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
If ur thinking of foreign language skills...then I think chinese language is it. I studied Agricultural Econs in d uni after NYSC in lagos No job. Now am compelled 2 join Halogen. Nigeria is so unhabitable.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by dtc2k(m): 5:34am On Jun 07, 2016
The global corporate business world is searching for individuals with Multitasking skills. Do you have any Computer skills?

Are you skilled in any of the latest Microsoft Office 2013 or 2016 Applications?Could you be chosen after a test by a corporate business office for that post you applied for?
What is your next plan for the next 3 months?

Why not call 08039408822 or VISIT Divine Touch Computer Training School TODAY at 3 Bella Close, Off Quarry Road, Beside former Savannah Bank Building, Abeokuta. Ogun State and make a change in your life today.

Learn more, in less time. Boost your competitive advantage by enrolling @Divine Touch Computer Training School...the touch makes the difference!

Invest your time and money today to increase your wisdom and income tomorrow.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Kingdomdaughter(f): 10:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
can someone list those skills someone can learn. I'm an undergraduate. tnks
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by realkme: 10:08pm On Mar 22, 2017
You also need a very good CV. Don't miss this. Get your CV written for as low as two thousand naira only.: send mail to : morefromless@kayceeinspires.com
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by bodlandsystems: 12:23pm On Mar 23, 2017
Career Turbo Charge {CTC} Workshop
Give your career a boost, attend a 1-day career turbo charge workshop where we showcase practical and globally recognized tools to boost career and personal productivity.
Workshop highlights:
ü Fundamentals of project management
ü Time management
ü Quality management
ü Marketing Strategy
ü Marketing Research
ü Creative thinking
ü Team management
The workshop will be delivered in an interesting and engaging manner by certified professionals.
Workshop Benefits include tools and techniques you can start using immediately to improve your performance.
There will be;
v Tea break
v Lunch break
v Workshop materials {Workbook and stationery}
v Support materials {eBooks of USB stick}
v Certificate of participation

Course Fee: 20,000 {double strikethrough} 10,000 {50% Discount}
Venue: 140, Borno Way, Ebute Meta, Yaba, Lagos.
Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017.
Time: 9am-5pm

For more information please visit www.mtceduhub.com or call;
Kunle +234 802 370 1151
Ayo +234 802 989 4444
Kunle +234 809 370 1151

Next PM training details:
Dates: April, 22,23,29&30. 2 consecutive weekends.
Course fee: 80,000 {Double Strikethrough} [b]44,000 massive 45% discount[/b].
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Layowale: 1:11pm On Mar 23, 2017
*Online Soap making Course*
'Soaping With Layo'

Distance is no longer a barrier.

*COURSE OUTLINE*
**The science of soap making.
**Soap terms and their meaning.
**How to make 4 different kind of soap: *bar soap,liquid soap,powder detergents,toilet bath soap*.
**How to make extra income from it.

Apart from soap, we also have classes where you can learn over 40 products : *toilet wash(harpic),izal,body cream, bleach(hypo),vaseline, dettol, insecticide, air freshner, scouring powder(vim), hair shampoo, hair conditioner and many more.*

*This class is open to only super smart individuals * Hurry now and join the session.... get soapy*

*private chat me or mail layowale@gmail.com. if you are serious and interested*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daughter Of Hospital Cleaner In South Africa Becomes A Medical Doctor (photo / Workers Block Road In Kaduna With Refuse Dump Over Owed Salaries / Is There Any Advantage Of Having A HSE Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.