Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (23012 Views)

Poll: Do you speak in tongues?

Yes: 39% (40 votes)
No: 54% (56 votes)
Previously: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Zahymaka(m): 2:16pm On May 16, 2006
Nairalanders have gone amok. I need to get some restraints.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by donnie(m): 1:07pm On May 20, 2006
The evidence of having reciecved the Holy Spirit is not tongues but a love for God and people and a passion for souls. A passion to see God's vison of salvation for the world actualised.

However, if you want to grow and become strong, vibrant, bold and on fire for God, You need to learn to charge up your spirit by praying in tongues.  

As for the rubbish that has been spoken agianst this spiritual truth, i leave you to the Word of the Bible that will judge the world in the end.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mlksbaby(f): 1:57pm On May 20, 2006
donnie:

The evidence of having reciecved the Holy Spirit is not tongues but a love for God and people and a passion for souls. A passion to see God's vison of salvation for the world actualised.

Very sound reasoning. Kudos. wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Idekeson(m): 3:11pm On May 20, 2006
donnie:

However, if you want to grow and become strong, vibrant, bold and on fire for God, You need to learn to charge up your spirit by praying in tongues.

I've always known that people learn this stupid act of blabbing away and pretend to be overcome by the holy spirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by baby4u2(f): 6:59pm On May 20, 2006
idekeson but you have to acknowlege the fact that fakers can only try to immitate what is real. so there has to be people actually speaking to God in tongues and those that just try to immitate/blab/fake. but still my dear we cannot say they are blabbing because there is no definite way of speaking in tongues (its not like yoruba, igbo or hausa that we might learn and speak) i do not know neither do you, its me and God, you and God, and them and God.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by kimba(m): 8:26pm On May 20, 2006
Dont be confused, don't be carried away,

Its not the Speaking in tongues that matters o, its the constant, current, and realistic Spirit of God moving a Man or Woman.

Yes, Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of Holy Spirit baptism, a gift of God to a seeking heart, but the truth is many people will speak in tongues from now till when Jesus will come and they will still end up in hell-fire.
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord,shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;''Matthew 7:21

Reason: well, they were once on the narrow way, they fell and backslid, but they still retain a head-knowledge(know-how) of the gifts they had, but they have lost the spirit behind it. And they have refused to:
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith;prove your own selves.
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you,except ye be reprobates?
2 Corinthians 13:5

Example:
A first class graduate, worked with the top cream of the CIA for like 15-20+years, along the line you did something wrong and was fired, you would be a very dangerous person. Twould be easy for you to deceive people, because you had so much experience and information, while on the inside.
Its all in the movies, right. Its so hard to know who the bad guy is because he's so smooth, he's got the skills and the know how, but hes the bad guy.

Any tongue speaking that is not motivated by the Holy Spirit is fake and 419.

How do we differentiate:
1) By their fruits we shall know them.
Luke 6: 46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Watch the lifestyle of the "tongue speaking" whoever. Does his life, does her life conform with the Bible. If the answer is No, forget the tongues. He aint got it. It also means, you should know what God expects yourself.

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word,, in him verily is the love of God perfected:, hereby know we that we are in him.''
1 John 2:3-5

2) Any Tongue speaking, praying, singing or whatever that does not glorify or obey God is false. If you are a child of God, the Holy Spirit will witness within you that you are a CHild of God, and even reveal to you who is/is not a child of God, whatever natural language/tongue he speaks.

Example: if you work in the Mint, you can easily identify fake currencies.
Luke chapter 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 12:19am On May 21, 2006
On that day of Pentecost 2000 years ago,those who received the gift of Holy Spirit spoke in Tongues other people could understand, thats a fact.
Today nobody can understand or interprete what these ho ho ye ye koba go go are saying even their cohorts.

Maybe God also speak to people in Tongues as everybody claims the Lord Told Me!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 9:10am On May 22, 2006
i dont know if its real or not, but i speak in tongues and it works for me.

As long as it works for me, who cares undecided

rababatusayekeitunabababa re bashi titi laye 2 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 9:11am On May 22, 2006
oopss,,,,,,,, interpretation.

Jehovah Rules!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:14am On May 22, 2006
hele babababababababab ohhh mama santo yendey su[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/Rhodalyn/59.gif[/img]
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Grizzly(m): 9:23am On May 22, 2006
What works for u?! shocked shocked y'all are gon be struck by lightening if u dont Shhhh!! shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 9:25am On May 22, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

rasatarabami shi ca tata rico miyotu mabretatat

Intepretation : Lightening go back to the sender
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by donnie(m): 3:19pm On May 22, 2006
mrmayor:

On that day of Pentecost 2000 years ago,those who received the gift of Holy Spirit spoke in Tongues other people could understand, thats a fact.
Today nobody can understand or interprete what these ho ho ye ye koba go go are saying even their cohorts.

Maybe God also speak to people in Tongues as everybody claims the Lord Told Me!

True, it is a fact that those who heard them speak could understand what was being said but that was a miracle. God opened their understanading to recieve the intepretation of the noise that was being heard.

They did not speak with tongues of men but of angels.

1 Corinthians 13:1 (Whole Chapter)
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Tongues of men are tongues that men understand. Tongues of angels are tongues that angels, demons and God undersatnd. It is a spiritual language.

Common sense should tell you that like on the day of penticost, if you heard 120 people speak from afar off on the top of their voices in different languages it will be impossible for each man in the crowd outside to hear one person speak his own language; since they spoke all at once. It sounded like the noise of drunkards. But their hearts were opened by the Spirit of God to understand.

That is why it was a supprise for them, each man recieving that noise that came from the upper room in his own language.

The people that gathered outside said to themselves:

"And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? "

every man heard them speak in his own language.

every man heard the noise in his language. That's what its saying.

They did not say, how come they are speaking our different languages. Or how come each man speak each of our language.

This is the gift of tongues:

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

He may not underatnad not what he is saying because he is praying with his spirit and not his mind. He is speaking mysteries (hidden truths) to God from his spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Meaning the man does not know what he is saying. That is why we need the gift of interpretation as well.

1 Corinthians 14:13
Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

1 Corinthians 14:4
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

To edify means to charge like a battery, to embolden, to build up!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 11:35pm On May 22, 2006
@Donnie

Bros, you didn't answer the question.
Does God talk to people in Tongues?
God being a Spirit does NOT need a haha kuku uu nanijh;jibdiuvvops to talk to an angel as the angel would automatically know what Gods wants done.
Can you tell us what one syllable means as that would indeed help us understand kaki yay ajfvfgv;'eddkewb .eowerw; and we would all understand the language of HEAVEN and that would make the world a better place.
I think i would asked my Babalawo what kind language the Devil and his angels undestand apart from katar lfaldold hshue  tikq heaven Tongue
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by TMoney4(m): 12:02pm On May 23, 2006
"TONGUES" is not for anybody to understand its communication between you and God himself. there is no need for you to try and undersatnd the things of the spirit with you mind.

The bible says" he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself, " it goes further that he speaks onto God and not onto men Corin 14:1

God is a spirit, and there is no use trying to relate with him in the realm of the sences. to worship God, you have to do it in the spirit. so, it a communication between God and you!.
Paul Said " i thank my God that i speak with tougues more than ye all" this explain the great success of apostle paul. that was the only thing he could boast that he did more that anybody else.

The wisdom of God is Foolishness onto man. God has used the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

The true thing of God will definitely seem like foolishness onto an ordinary man.
I tell you, speaking in tougue is one of the keys to putting things in place in the realm of the spirit(the fourth dimesion), which controls our physical world.

the bible says", building up your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost"

My people, i enjoy speaking in tougue, its unsuslly a glorious time of fellowship with the Holy Ghost.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 4:47pm On May 23, 2006
Tell them Tmoney kiss
ratagsfretueienhnghty
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by donnie(m): 6:22pm On May 23, 2006
mrmayor:

@Donnie

Bros, you didn't answer the question.
Does God talk to people in Tongues?
God being a Spirit does NOT need a haha kuku uu nanijh;jibdiuvvops to talk to an angel as the angel would automatically know what Gods wants done.
Can you tell us what one syllable means as that would indeed help us understand kaki yay ajfvfgv;'eddkewb .eowerw; and we would all understand the language of HEAVEN and that would make the world a better place.
I think i would asked my Babalawo what kind language the Devil and his angels undestand apart from katar lfaldold hshue tikq heaven Tongue

Yes, God does speak to his people in tongues. These messages are often times recieved and spoken by the one who recieves the message.

At other times, a person can pray to God from his spirit in other tongues.

Isaiah 28
10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11For with stammering lips and another tongue will He[God] speak to this people.

12To whom He said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Halleluyah! Oh what refreshing we experience when we spend time praying in other tongues. This is the rest, yet they will not hear.

My dear, It is the occult that copy things from the church and not the other way round.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by dearzi(f): 6:01pm On May 25, 2006
Halleluyah! Oh what refreshing we experience when we spend time praying in other tongues. This is the rest, yet they will not hear.
My dear, It is the occult that copy things from the church and not the other way round.

So True.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Idekeson(m): 8:09pm On May 25, 2006
The potency of any religion depends to a large extent on its mystic. Whether it is the tongue speaking of Christians or the incantations of a witch doctor, it's all aimed at the same effect.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 8:42pm On May 25, 2006
Perfectly put Idekson.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by GL(f): 2:56am On May 26, 2006
Idekeson:

The potency of any religion depends to a large extent on its mystic. Whether it is the tongue speaking of Christians or the incantations of a witch doctor, it's all aimed at the same effect.

Yes, I believe many ppl speak in tongues now for show considering the way they blast it everywhere. It is meant to be a form of communication between you and God and can be spoken in a congregation of believers only, but not with unbelievers present. Paul probably guessed something like this would happen when he tried to play it down a little without diminishing its importance. I am not for shouting while speaking in tongues. The same thing goes for private prayers, I believe if you're talking to God then let Him alone hear.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 8:39am On May 26, 2006
grin grin grin rapapaya ya yeyeyey tolotolo tintin repipee grin grin

Tongues works for me and am sticking with it.
Whatever am calling, as long as it answers,,,,,, i'm good wink wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Zahymaka(m): 9:37am On May 26, 2006
lioness, I've been watching you -- are you serious at all wink cheesy cheesy?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 10:28am On May 26, 2006
me ke? angry Of course am over serious.

Am a full blooded pentecostal so what do u expect. grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Reverend(m): 12:46pm On May 26, 2006
Could this dog be barking in tongues?

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:47pm On May 26, 2006
shocked shocked shocked oh uh! Rev shocked shocked shocked
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by bumbum(m): 1:44pm On May 26, 2006
This is all about talking to God in a spirtual language, which only powerful men of God and prophets can understand and interprete. cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by bumbum(m): 1:46pm On May 26, 2006
This is all about talking to God in a spirtual language, which only powerful men of God and prophets can understand and interprete. cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by otokx(m): 2:00pm On May 26, 2006
its very clear that many "christians" are afraid to rock the boat. this little discourse has revealed that yet a lot of us "christians" don't read our bibles. we should look at what happened in the early church as recorded in the acts of apostles. we were known because of the love we had for each other not by speaking in an unknown tongue in a public gathering. speak in tongues (if you really can) in your wardrobes and charge yourself up in your bedroom. i believe in sanity and orderliness, my God is not an author of confusion.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 3:41pm On May 26, 2006
@ Reverend
as Usual, wicked humour.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by baby4u2(f): 5:19pm On May 26, 2006
@otok as u've read ur Bible very well, more than the christians here sef, u should have gone a little further in how God sad tongues should be spoken (not leaving out Bible quotations since u know pass). it would help your stance in the matter.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 1:54am On May 27, 2006
sad sad sad So God speaks in tongues nah wah.
Adam, Abraham,Jacob,Isaac, Moses,Samuel remember these people and even Paul there is no account of God babbling ki kodwbvlc thw o to these men.In all accounts the conversations was in a tongue they use every day, God called Samuel twice and the third he answered "speak for thy servant hearet"
Jesus actually spoke to Saul who later became Paul on the road to Damascus and I know its not in atylqw kwer yayya papapa maa si wj.I never forget wetin dem teach me for sunday skool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? / Angelina Oyakhilome's 80th Birthday: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's Mother Celebrates / Mbaka: Buhari Working With Those Who Will Pull Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.