Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (23006 Views)

Poll: Do you speak in tongues?

Yes: 39% (40 votes)
No: 54% (56 votes)
Previously: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 4:36pm On Mar 03, 2007
@Nella,

Nella:

at leats some one uses her brain here!!

@buluti, u said i still havent't answerd your question, but it just seems 2 me that u haven't been reading nor understanding any thing i ve been writing ( bcuz if u have then by now u would know how 2 tell a fake speaking in toungues apart 4rom a real one!!). well i will explain againn!!

I'm judging u guys that claim 2 speak in toungues 4rom what i have seen of u!! i don't care if u speak in toungues in your closet or in your bathroom or just where ever!! if u guys n your Church claim 2 really speak in toungues, n if u claim that it is realy of God, then y don't u do it according to the principles of d Holy bible?!?!?!?!

2 your question: I say it is fake bcuz like i said above u claim 2 speak in toungues n also that it is from God, but yet u don't do it according to the principles n teachins of d Bible! , 4 Paul in d Bible has showed u n pointed out 2 u clearly some things which you're JUST not 2 do if u speak in toungues, n if u claim 2 speak in toungues n that it is 4rom God, u will obviously respect n go by this principles!! but if not,,,,,,,,,,,,well then your so called " Speaking in toungues is not of God"!!!! = it's fake!

well u mentioned that it is not when you're in Church that u realy speak in toungues right?? but yet u do speak in toungues( d fake one of course) while in d Church don't u!??!?!? n d ones i ve seen was quite more than five min!!
i go back 2 my point again, which is if u guys claim 2 speak in toungues, y don't u do it according 2 how d Bibles teaches u to ?
( i direct my statements mostly 2 your Churches, bcuz d ones i ve seen r in d Churches)
4 d bible stated out CLEARLY 2 u n your Church telling u that if ye come 2gether n ye all believe, then there is no need 4 you to speak in toungues!!
( which annoys me bcuz ye all claim 2 believe, n 2 also speak in toungues, but u never do, practicly nuthing according to the teachings of d Bible!) 4 if u guys n your Church realy speak in toungues as u claim 2 do, then u would absolutely do it according to the teachins of d Holy Bible!! but as u don't do this, well then i simply consider u all FAKERS!!!

D most annoying part is when in a church u all just start talking n blabing out some rubbish n shouting ontop of your voices!!!! CLAIMING 2 SPEAK IN TOUNGUES!!! NON-SENSE!!!

23: " If there the whole Church be come together into one place, and all speak in toungues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelivers, will they not say that ye are mad? "
if u guys realy claim 2 speak in toungues then y do u never look at this teaching 4 Paul during his time on Earth laid it out plain n clearly to the future people who may recive this gift of Speaking in toungues, telling n teaching em what n what not 2 do if u speak in toungues, if u guys realy speak in toungues then u would follow this teachings, n not go doing things your own way!!!

well @ Buluti, do u understand now y i consider u guys fake Speaker?!?!?
U guys simply don't do it as d Bible tells you to!! once again: 4 Paul during his time on Earth laid it out plain n clearly to the future people who may recive this gift of Speaking in toungues, telling n teaching em what n what not 2 do if u speak in toungues, if u guys realy speak in toungues then u would follow this teachings, n not go doing things your own way!!

If you really understand what the Bible says about the gift of tongues and other gifts of the Spirit, why are you so bitter and sarcastic? Why is it that those who don't speak in tongues are the very ones who are quick to display such antagonism over issues they don't understand?

Could you please take another look at verses 2 and 39 and share on what you understand in those verses:

Verse 2: "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries."

Verse 39: "Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues."

While you're on those, could I ask if you speak in tongues, or how your local church manifests the gift of tongues?

Thanks.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 5:04pm On Mar 03, 2007
Nella:

I'm judging u guys that claim 2 speak in toungues 4rom what i have seen of u!! i don't care if u speak in toungues in your closet or in your bathroom or just where ever!! if u guys n your Church claim 2 really speak in toungues, n if u claim that it is realy of God, then y don't u do it according to the principles of d Holy bible?!?!?!?!

well @ Buluti, do u understand now y i consider u guys fake Speaker?!?!?
U guys simply don't do it as d Bible tells you to!! once again: 4 Paul during his time on Earth laid it out plain n clearly to the future people who may recive this gift of Speaking in toungues, telling n teaching em what n what not 2 do if u speak in toungues, if u guys realy speak in toungues then u would follow this teachings, n not go doing things your own way!!

Nella, all well and good just try and read the bible properly and try and compare scripture with scripture. Theres no need to reason scriptures anymore because your mind is fixed on an error on this church order thing.

If its based on being according to the principle of the bible you make accusations then no apologies you are way far from the truth but recall as i said you don't have to agree with me, i know it is scriptural and if you say it is fake be confident that God will judge me and all those that engage in such. Dont worry for us we are well aware of the consequences of spiritual things, no need taking panadol for our headache. Develop your spiritual life and build yourself the best way you can.

However since you seem to know how the bible teaches it please oblige syrup and Mr.pataki and answer the question, how is speaking in tongues manifested in your own local church and do you speak in tongues??

Try and discover things for yourself, desire to know the mind of God for YOU and if indeed you are born again he will definately bring you into all truths.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Katigurl: 9:22pm On Mar 03, 2007
Seriously you people who claim 2 speak in toungues, absolutely lack SIMPLE understandingof d Scriptures!!! pray 2 God 4 one!! ( seriously, i'm serious!! angry angry angry angry angry)
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 9:47pm On Mar 03, 2007
@Katigurl,

Why are you so disaffected? Could you share your own SIMPLE understanding of what the Bible teaches on the subject?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrpataki(m): 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2007
Katigurl:

Seriously you people who claim 2 speak in toungues, absolutely lack SIMPLE understandingof d Scriptures!!! pray 2 God 4 one!! ( seriously, i'm serious!! angry angry angry angry angry)

@ Katigurl,
Please with all level of humility, I would like you to share more understanding of the Scriptures as regards to speaking in Tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Backslider(m): 5:33pm On Mar 04, 2007
@topic

When a man speaks in Tongue and no one Understands he should Just Keep it to himself.
If he can interpret then he can speak openly and this the interpretation.
One of the Most important things is praying or speaking with understanding.
Jesus never spoke in tongue to the disciples. But he prayed in tongues. ( He Groaned shouted).
The must important thing is when we are with the brethren is to Edify ( IRON SHARPENETH IRON)
I have attended some of this churches and the seem not to edify.
The real thing we should discern some have but misuse it.
The spirit of truth is not proud abusive or insulting it dwells in a pure heart
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 8:54am On Mar 05, 2007
@ buluti, how is speaking in toungues manifested in ma own Church, n do I speak in toungues, u ask
well first of all no i don't go deciving or letting some pastor decive me that i speak in toungues!!! nah, absolutely not!!! n u c tha'ts why i have more tym to observe all of u who claim 2 speak in toungues, n come down to d simple fact that u r all "DOIDA"!!!!

wat do u care about how speaking in toungues is manifested in my own Church or if i speak in toungues or not 4 if I or my Church spoke in toungues, 4rom all I ve written here, u sould by now know how it would be manifested!!
in my Church we don't speak in Toungues bcuz we all belive!! 4 we were simply instructed in d Bible that when we come together n we all belive that there is noo need 4 us 2 start speaking in toungues, 4 toungues is but a sign, not 2 him that belive but 2 him that belive not, but prophecy serveth, not 4 him that belive but 4 him that belive!!!
In my church we Prophecys, compreendeste agora
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by goodguy(m): 4:11pm On Mar 05, 2007
About 4 years back, I was a in a youth gathering, and there was a Christian motivational speaker.  As usual, his words uplifted me internally and I was really flowing with him.  But the problem set in when we went into a prayer session and everyone was required to "pray in tongues".  At first, I was confused, as I had never spoken in tongues before.  As if he knew what my problem was, he then asked everyone of us to just open our mouths and begin to utter anything that comes to the mouth at that moment.  There I stood for minutes, with my mouth wide open - nothing happened.  Then I tried mimicking my friends who were apparently rapping in random syllables (they later confirmed this because they all joked about it after the programme).  But after a shortwhile, I stopped and realised that the whole thing did not make sense at all, because the Muslims among us were also required to speak in tongues.  I then started praying to my God in simple English language that I myself could understand.

What is my point, you ask?

This act of speaking in tongues has been seriously basterdized by the modern day church, and millions of Christians over the world have been made to believe that rapping in random syllables is indeed the true way to speak in tongues, under the guise of "speaking in mysteries" or some "angelic language".  Some are even made to believe that only those with the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues, and that those that do not speak in tongues do not have the Holy Spirit.  And of course, not leaving out those that teach that speaking in tongues is something you learn to do.  The funnier thing is how most people that speak in tongues always seem to be following the same cadence in their deceptive raps.

However, my own understanding of the Holy Scripture on this issue of speaking in tongues stems from 1 Corinthians chapter 14.

1. Speaking in tongues is meant to serve as a sign to the unbelievers --> 1 Cor 14:22

Let's go back to Acts Chapter 2.  There, we'll see that the speaking of other tongues by the apostles led to the conversion of about 3000 people that very day.  Apparently, the speaking of the tongues served as a sign to the unbelievers that got converted.

In today's churches, how many people get converted by the Pastor's/members' speaking of tongues?

2. Speaking in tongues is meant for the edification of the church, and not for some spirituality show-off.  And that's why Paul said this in 1 Cor 14:19: "But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

So what really is speaking in tongues all about?  In Acts 2: 4 - 12, we were made to understand that those that spoke in tongues, spoke in other languages that other people could hear and understand.

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, is not some kind of magical recitation or incantation of random syllables, as is clearly visible in the pentecostal churches of today.  They try to make one believe that they speak in "mysteries", using 1 Cor 14:2 as a back up.  But that verse, indeed, has been widely erroneously interpreted, even by the most ardent Bible-thumping folks, claiming to be born again.

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, simply means speaking in other languages.  Full Stop!  There's absolutely nothing more to it.

The Greek translation of 1 Cor 14:2 explains explicitly what Paul meant by "unknown tongues".  Bobbyaf is indeed right by saying "unknown" is an applied word.  In Greek, the phrase "unknown tongue" is "glossa" or "gloce-sah'", which means "a language (specially, one naturally unacquired)".

And talking of "mysteries", other Bible translations use "secret", which simply means that the one who speaks in another language is simply saying things that are secret or mysterious to the rest of the church, but only known to God, hence, the need for an interpreter/interpretation so that the church may be edified, as the "tongue speaker" edifies himself alone at that moment.

So now, what does Paul say about interpretation or no interpretation?  Different verses (1 Cor 14:5,6,13) show that Paul really advocates interpretation of tongues in the church for the edification of the church, though he's not against speaking in tongues (outside the church/gathering) without it.  In vs 12, we'll see his reason for advocating it; which is, spiritual gifts are meant to build up (edify) the church.  Come to think of it, what's the essence of having a spiritual gift if it's only going to be for your own edification?  That is why he also says that even if you can't interprete, pray that you should interprete, so that the church may be edified.  But if there will be no interpreter/interpretation, simply STFU!

No wonder he says in vs 5 that he prefers prophecies to speaking in tongues (in the absence of interpreter/intepretation).

Let's reason together here.  What really is the essence of speaking in tongues if the unbeliever will only end up more confused and more unconvinced?  Yes, that's what actually happens - they'll believe you're really out of your mind (vs 23), for what good will the speaking of tongues be to them, unless some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction is brought to them (vs 6)?

syrup:

Verse 39: "Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues."

While this is indeed, very true and very important, it is also very necessary not to leave out the concluding part of that statement, and the chapter as a whole.

Verse 40:  "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."  (NIV)

Anyway, I am not in any position to label anyone a liar if they claim to speak in tongues since they say they are talking out of experience.  But then, as I said earlier, this is just my own understanding of the Holy Scriptures on the issue of speaking in tongues.  I am very open to corrections, if the need really arises.

P. S.  I humbly suggest that everyone gets an NIV Bible for better understanding of contextual statements.  KJV could be confusing atimes.

God bless.

Shalom!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 8:59pm On Mar 05, 2007
Nella congratulation on being a prohetess since thats what you do in your local church.

goodguy thanx for your piece which is devoid of insults and sarcasism, its really a good trait and God bless you. I would love to reason with you but a little clarification

goodguy:

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, is not some kind of magical recitation or incantation of random syllables, as is clearly visible in the pentecostal churches of today.  They try to make one believe that they speak in "mysteries", using 1 Cor 14:2 as a back up.  But that verse, indeed, has been widely erroneously interpreted, even by the most ardent Bible-thumping folks, claiming to be born again.

Let's reason together here.  What really is the essence of speaking in tongues if the unbeliever will only end up more confused and more unconvinced? 

Anyway, I am not in any position to label anyone a liar if they claim to speak in tongues since they say they are talking out of experience.

My question: Do you believe the gift of speaking in tongues is manifest in todays church, you made a reference to those who claim to be born again, do you claim to be born again yourself because i also noticed you used the word unbeliever.

A little clarification to your post. The fact that some blab random syllables i agree occurs doesnt suggest that some do not actually genuinely receive the gift. Most times its ignorance or lack of understanding that causes same as people don't want to look like devils or be the most unspiritual so they take that route of blabbing, I didnt speak in tongues when i was ministered to the first time, some did others didn't but most importantly i didnt. I didnt for a while after that come to think of it i was always in and out of a fellowship with God. I recall that the first occassion i was in the situation you stated was when i first responded to an alter call i really knew nothing about being a christain (though i was baptized and received holy communion in the catholic church) its not an indictment on the catholic church it was an indictment on me because all i knew was if i wanted to go to church on a sunday i would ensure i go for confession on saturday to ensure i received holy communion, i never read my bible or prayed, i did nothing.

But after that occassion and when i decided to get serious with God (it was a while after the first alter call) i started asking questions some christains gave me reasons others could not, but hey it was my life and i was going to take it serious. I studied looked for tapes lucliky i had a cousin who had some christain material and i started to understand. I really wanted to know all the hullbaloo about this tongue issue, and i prayed earnestly to receive the gift not because of people but because i wanted anytin that would lead me closer to God. I always looked forward to the occassion in church and when it came still i wasnt speakin nothing, but by now i had learnt a bit, knew there was nothing wrong with me, it went on for a while and still nothing no speaking in tongues for me.

After a while i relaxed i just went ahead with my christainity (still a not too serious, up and down), i joined an activity group and nobody pressured me or made me feel less spiritual, this is again a false statement people always say, if you don't speak in tongues doesnt mean you are not born again or the holy spirit isnt in you, who convicted your heart in the first place. Second clarification to you nobody says you don't have the holy spirit or you are not a christain if you don't speak in tongue. I though knew my leader was praying for me.

Time went on and i had to go to school so i left my local church, when in school i joined a fellowship and joined the intercession group (now i was serious with my christanity), i learnt so much about christanity in school boy i could believe God for almost anything, my faith was rising so much, it was during one of our night vigils (you know as students there's so much time on our hands we used to have vigils as we liked) that when we were praying then the leader said if you don't speak in tongues this is an opportunity for you to receive the gift but after all the hussle i had being through i went on praying in my understanding i just couldnt be bothered but then he stated it again that this is an opportunity and started speaking in tongues and other members joined, i continued speaking my English but then something was different there was a leading in me to stop speaking english but what would i speak i asked myself??, i spoke my English on, again it was like i was hearing a voice telling me to stop speaking English but still i refused, then the leader came towards me and told me not to resist i should follow the leading of the holy spirit and speak what comes out, (i wasnt going to be part of the blabbing so i really had to be sure) as if he knew my doubts he told me God was my father and wanted me to have this gift so i should speak and be bold then somehow i believed him faith rose in me and i stopped speaking english, at first nothing,  but by now i knew something was different i opened my mouth and started speaking then immediately i stopped but hey it was too late i couldnt hold it back i had never felt the presence of God but this day i did, some members were screaming others were laughing and so on, wats all this about, then another member raised her voice and then started speaking in tongues she kept quiet and some one else came and interpreted was she said, issues that had being bothering me like i discussed my fears with them before coming, i knew of some messages for others facing situations i.e a friends mum was sick and the sister interpreting who was in final year and didnt know us gave a message on my friends mum and similar thins, instruction on what to do and all,  i can't recollect now it went on for a while we received messages for ourselves, we received for the group, for our fellowship, after the interpretation and all, our meeting continued i was speakin boldly now but  then i realised in my heart issues i needed to pray about for friends that had acadmic issues, some areas of my own studies, family members i would not ordinary remember and i kept praying in tongues and in my understanding it was on and on, i was praying and remembering scriptures as i prayed it was an experience i really can't forget.

Post night vigil doubts came to my heart that it wont continue it was because of the members around me and all sort of lies the devil still didnt give up, but hey when i was in my room and opened my mouth to pray english wasnt doing it, i must discover this my new gift to its fullest and i switched and no struggle i was praying in tongues smoothly when i prayed in english there was a difference now i knew my prayers had changed i knew things to pray about, things i never thot of before i started praying came to my mind inshort things were different now.

Thats my expereince so to me its not a story, it just can't be. HOW. what i do observe from people stories though is that if you pencil in your heart its not for me as in you don't seek to receive the gift, praying studying and expecting you might not receive, i used the word might beocs it doesnt follow all the time. In my walk with God i have come to learn a lot. God is God, he is the almighty.

In addition the fact you have received the gift doesnt mean you wont face challenges again or you are no longer on earth, in fact you might face issues on a different scale, the point is that you are still very HUMAN the difference is that you hear the spirit now, still if you will obey him is your will. This gift is without repenteance as the bible says but i learnt this, i didnt stop speaking in tongues when i did things that were wrong or in a time in my life totally backslided i could still speak in tongues when i prayed but i knew i was far from God. When back to God now i pray in tongues but again the fervency is different i now know that when i speak in tongues out of fellowship and in fellowship with God are two different expereinces.

In my faith i can prove my God, i pray about things and it changes in due season, i can speak to my world around and it changes again in due season, i do not listen to anyones stories yes i get inspired by testimonies but still he is my God, if my pastor wakes up tomorrow and doubts the foundation of my faith he is on his own, Jesus died for me and is alive, the holy spirit is so real and at work in my life even if someone wakes up from the dead and says otherwise he is on his own.

So back to my question @ goodwill if we will reason scriptures together i need to know what you believe in. If its different from the foundations of my faith the discussion is baseless we would not agree.

No one needs to agree with me, if you found salvation in whatever you believe in stick to it and i dare say if you have a personal expereince for yourself not someone elses near death experience or someone elses experience i doubt but then stick to it, the only thing i can do is to invite you to consider the risen christ who died for you and is alive, but thats all i can do its your choice to make.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by goodguy(m): 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2007
buluti:

goodguy thanx for your piece which is devoid of insults and sarcasism, its really a good trait and God bless you.

I equally appreciate your rejoinder, as well as your experience you have shared with us here. I am indeed happy for you that you have received a gift of the Holy Spirit.

buluti:

My question: Do you believe the gift of speaking in tongues is manifest in todays church,

I strongly believe so. But the truth is, I do not believe in majority of them, especially those that publicize themselves on the media.

buluti:

you made a reference to those who claim to be born again, do you claim to be born again yourself because i also noticed you used the word unbeliever.

Let's leave 'me' out of this for now. My reference to unbelievers there is solely based on the Scriptures - 1 Cor 14:22.

buluti:

A little clarification to your post. The fact that some blab random syllables i agree occurs doesnt suggest that some do not actually genuinely receive the gift.

Sorry for the broad generalization, but I was talking based on what I see happening around. I believe that there are people that truly have the gift, but then, as I said earlier, I do not believe in majority of those I see around. The way they go about it just isn't scriptural.

Now, my own question: You claim to speak in tongues. What I will like to know is this: Can/Do you interprete whatever you speak in tongues? If you can't/don't, have you ever prayed for the gift of Interpretation, as Paul admonished?

One again, I appreciate your input and look forward to reading your reply.

Thanks and God bless.

Shalom.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by buluti(m): 12:05am On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

Let's leave 'me' out of this for now. My reference to unbelievers there is solely based on the Scriptures - 1 Cor 14:22.

Now, my own question: You claim to speak in tongues. What I will like to know is this: Can/Do you interprete whatever you speak in tongues? If you can't/don't, have you ever prayed for the gift of Interpretation, as Paul admonished?

Based on your questions i would have to take your position, Lets leave "me" out of this for now, you have asked good questions though.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by syrup(f): 12:50am On Mar 06, 2007
Hi @goodguy,

goodguy:

If I could just offer an answer:

I do not always understand or interpret whatever I speak in tongues (I Cor. 14:2). Consequently, I pray for interpretation of whatever I speak in tongues - and a few times I clearly understand in the Spirit what I speak.

Some of it is pure praise; some is prayer expressed in deep passion; other times it's what I may call a 'searching' - that is, a burden about something that is impressed on my heart, usually as a concern for others. At other times, it is simply a declarative statement in power against the whiles of the enemy.

But like I said, nt at every instance have I understood whatever I speak in tongues; but I don't let even this situation hinder my speaking in tongues.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:31am On Mar 06, 2007
@ Goodguy

About 4 years back, I was a in a youth gathering, and there was a Christian motivational speaker. As usual, his words uplifted me internally and I was really flowing with him. But the problem set in when we went into a prayer session and everyone was required to "pray in tongues". At first, I was confused, as I had never spoken in tongues before. As if he knew what my problem was, he then asked everyone of us to just open our mouths and begin to utter anything that comes to the mouth at that moment. There I stood for minutes, with my mouth wide open - nothing happened. Then I tried mimicking my friends who were apparently rapping in random syllables (they later confirmed this because they all joked about it after the programme). But after a shortwhile, I stopped and realised that the whole thing did not make sense at all, because the Muslims among us were also required to speak in tongues. I then started praying to my God in simple English language that I myself could understand.

Well, I happened to have been in a similar situation, but the only difference was I didn't try anything. I just watched as the church broke loose. I felt really alone, and I felt extremely uncomfortable. Out of respect for the person who had invited me I stayed until the service was over.

What is my point, you ask?

This act of speaking in tongues has been seriously basterdized by the modern day church, and millions of Christians over the world have been made to believe that rapping in random syllables is indeed the true way to speak in tongues, under the guise of "speaking in mysteries" or some "angelic language". Some are even made to believe that only those with the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues, and that those that do not speak in tongues do not have the Holy Spirit.

In my discourse with Pentecostals and other charismatic christians they make me feel as if I don't have the Holy Spirit. If one isn't careful one goes away feeling deficient, and anemic. grin

However, my own understanding of the Holy Scripture on this issue of speaking in tongues stems from 1 Corinthians chapter 14.

1. Speaking in tongues is meant to serve as a sign to the unbelievers --> 1 Cor 14:22

The true understanding of this remark is very crucial. Acts 2 was a perfect example of that, and especially as it related to the diasporic jewish people. The miracle of the gift of tongues as it served it purpose then, was to serve as a sign to unbelievers, that those same disciples could be trusted with the gospel they now were entrusted with.

God delibrately used wind and fire as evidence that He was with the disciples, according to Acts 2. There was the sound of a mighty rushing wind and the cloven tongues of fire on their heads. Ever wondered why God used those signs? Nothing was more familiar to the Jews than those two symbols, especially as they were associated with God's power and presence. It was a strong wind that God raised up the red sea. It was with fire that He warmed them during the cold nights in the wilderness for 40 years. Don't forget the Mount Carmel experience.

Let's go back to Acts Chapter 2. There, we'll see that the speaking of other tongues by the apostles led to the conversion of about 3000 people that very day. Apparently, the speaking of the tongues served as a sign to the unbelievers that got converted.

And especially as they witnessed the typical Gallaleans speaking in their own mother tongue. That must have been an experience. And to think that Peter was unlettered, and was now versed in other person's languages, amazing! cool

In today's churches, how many people get converted by the Pastor's/members' speaking of tongues?

2. Speaking in tongues is meant for the edification of the church, and not for some spirituality show-off. And that's why Paul said this in 1 Cor 14:19: "But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

Can you imagine what Paul would be saying if he were alive today?

So what really is speaking in tongues all about? In Acts 2: 4 - 12, we were made to understand that those that spoke in tongues, spoke in other languages that other people could hear and understand.

They would say that the tongues in 1 Corinthians 14 is not the same as in Acts 2. They would argue that the gift has somewhat taken on different functions. Is it possible that indeed such a change could have taken place? As I have always said God started out with a motif for the gift, and which was to enable the disciples to spread the gospel without having to spend undue time learning the languages.

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, is not some kind of magical recitation or incantation of random syllables, as is clearly visible in the pentecostal churches of today. They try to make one believe that they speak in "mysteries", using 1 Cor 14:2 as a back up. But that verse, indeed, has been widely erroneously interpreted, even by the most ardent Bible-thumping folks, claiming to be born again.

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, simply means speaking in other languages. Full Stop! There's absolutely nothing more to it.

Absolutely right about that!

The Greek translation of 1 Cor 14:2 explains explicitly what Paul meant by "unknown tongues". Bobbyaf is indeed right by saying "unknown" is an applied word. In Greek, the phrase "unknown tongue" is "glossa" or "gloce-sah'", which means "a language (specially, one naturally unacquired)".

And talking of "mysteries", other Bible translations use "secret", which simply means that the one who speaks in another language is simply saying things that are secret or mysterious to the rest of the church, but only known to God, hence, the need for an interpreter/interpretation so that the church may be edified, as the "tongue speaker" edifies himself alone at that moment.

Agreed and that is why I have always said that it has nothing to do with being used as a prayer tool, that not even the one praying understands what he is communicating to God. Most persons I ask about understanding what they speak usualy say they don't understand a thing they utter. The very remarks by Paul in certainn sections of chapter 14 say the very opposite. He says our tongue should be easy to understand.

You've made some good pointers overall.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by PLea: 12:23pm On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

This act of speaking in tongues has been seriously basterdized by the modern day church, and millions of Christians over the world have been made to believe that rapping in random syllables is indeed the true way to speak in tongues, under the guise of "speaking in mysteries" or some "angelic language". Some are even made to believe that only those with the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues, and that those that do not speak in tongues do not have the Holy Spirit. And of course, not leaving out those that teach that speaking in tongues is something you learn to do. The funnier thing is how most people that speak in tongues always seem to be following the same cadence in their deceptive raps.

good resasoning goodguy!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by PLea: 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
Bobbyaf:

@ Goodguy

In my discourse with Pentecostals and other charismatic christians they make me feel as if I don't have the Holy Spirit. If one isn't careful one goes away feeling deficient, and anemic. grin

True!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 12:34pm On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

Let's go back to Acts Chapter 2. There, we'll see that the speaking of other tongues by the apostles led to the conversion of about 3000 people that very day. Apparently, the speaking of the tongues served as a sign to the unbelievers that got converted.

2. Speaking in tongues is meant for the edification of the church, and not for some spirituality show-off. And that's why Paul said this in 1 Cor 14:19: "But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

So what really is speaking in tongues all about? In Acts 2: 4 - 12, we were made to understand that those that spoke in tongues, spoke in other languages that other people could hear and understand.

Good reasoning, just one of my poing as well!!!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, is not some kind of magical recitation or incantation of random syllables, as is clearly visible in the pentecostal churches of today. They try to make one believe that they speak in "mysteries", using 1 Cor 14:2 as a back up. But that verse, indeed, has been widely erroneously interpreted, even by the most ardent Bible-thumping folks, claiming to be born again.

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, simply means speaking in other languages. Full Stop! There's absolutely nothing more to it.

goodguy:

Speaking in tongues, to my own understanding, is not some kind of magical recitation or incantation of random syllables, as is clearly visible in the pentecostal churches of today. They try to make one believe that they speak in "mysteries", using 1 Cor 14:2 as a back up. But that verse, indeed, has been widely erroneously interpreted, even by the most ardent Bible-thumping folks, claiming to be born again.

Seriously agree!!! people just seem 2 want 2 create more meaning 2 d whole speaking in toungue stuff!! leaving the teachings of d Bible compeletely out!!

goodguy:

So now, what does Paul say about interpretation or no interpretation? Different verses (1 Cor 14:5,6,13) show that Paul really advocates interpretation of tongues in the church for the edification of the church, though he's not against speaking in tongues (outside the church/gathering) without it. In vs 12, we'll see his reason for advocating it; which is, spiritual gifts are meant to build up (edify) the church. Come to think of it, what's the essence of having a spiritual gift if it's only going to be for your own edification? That is why he also says that even if you can't interprete, pray that you should interprete, so that the church may be edified. But if there will be no interpreter/interpretation, simply STFU!

No wonder he says in vs 5 that he prefers prophecies to speaking in tongues (in the absence of interpreter/intepretation).

Let's reason together here. What really is the essence of speaking in tongues if the unbeliever will only end up more confused and more unconvinced? Yes, that's what actually happens - they'll believe you're really out of your mind (vs 23), for what good will the speaking of tongues be to them, unless some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction is brought to them (vs 6)?

Exactly!!!!!

It was stated out plain n clear in D Bible!!! if u speak in toungues n there b no interpritter, well then just simply STFU!!!! paul also states it that if u speak in an unknown toungue, it should b by most 2 or 3 words, n still u should interpret!!!! SIMPLE RULE!!! wats soo hard 2 understand there
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:46am On Mar 07, 2007
I must confess though, that whether or not persons agree on the subject at hand, the whole debate has been a blessing to me. I have no doubt that there are sincere persons in the fora who are searching for answers, and I am more than confident that God is willing to give us answers.

Shalom.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 8:44am On Mar 07, 2007
Bobbyaf:

I must confess though, that whether or not persons agree on the subject at hand, the whole debate has been a blessing to me. I have no doubt that there are sincere persons in the fora who are searching for answers, and I am more than confident that God is willing to give us answers.

Shalom.

wat does diz mean debate end lol just kiddin, it has been great (head ache) arguing wid u any wayz smiley smiley smiley smiley
yea i guess some day we will get d right answer 4rom God, but when?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lent2007(m): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2007
st paul says,there must be somebody to interpret as u speak in tongue.so people who speak in tongues and there is no interpretation are waisting there time and energy.i cry
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Nella(f): 6:20pm On Mar 08, 2007
lent2007:

st paul says,there must be somebody to interpret as u speak in tongue.so people who speak in tongues and there is no interpretation are waisting there time and energy.i cry

That's right wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by shahan(f): 12:38pm On Mar 10, 2007
When you experience speaking in tongues, you will know the difference between what Paul actually taught, and what people think he taught.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by disease(m): 5:39pm On Sep 30, 2008
mamamamam dododood cheicheichei blahblahblahblah gagagaggagagag
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Gamine(f): 10:10pm On Nov 27, 2008
I have been speaking in tongues since i was a baby

Raba ba ba ba ba ba ma ma ma ma ma shinto raba sunta ba ka baska

I may have been speaking hausa sha undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by otokx(m): 2:34pm On Nov 28, 2008
@Gamine

Naughty naughty.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by slimfine(f): 12:20am On Dec 19, 2008
In Act 2: 1-11 these scriptures highlighted that when the deciples were speaking in tongue, the crowed that gathered to watch the deciple were able to hear the message in their various native languages.

has any of you tongue speaker ever confirmed with anyother person to have understood you when you spoke in tongue?

Beside does speaking in tongue identifies you as a true christian? read john 13: 35 and Ist Cor 13: 1,8 you will even find out that the gift of tongue was or will be done away with

Cheer.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by nwakaibe(m): 10:48am On Dec 19, 2008
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley. I just dey read una
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ttalks(m): 6:29pm On Dec 20, 2008
1Co 14:22(ISV)
(22) Tongues, then, are meant to be a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers, while prophecy is meant, not for unbelievers, but for believers.

Something that we should all know is that speaking in tongues is a sign for unbelievers.Another thing to know is that: Speaking in tongues is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit;it isn't a willfully done thing.Anyone who speaks in tongues of his own will,is speaking gibberish.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Dios(f): 9:24pm On Dec 20, 2008
Heavenly language? Wow!! That's so cool. Let me write what I heard one these pastors say when I was still a christian.
The "man of god" said, Oshi bra bra la mi sooo, abri braa bro oshi, Bo bo, bishi kish kush kosh, osh kosh, tonka toi, bam bam bigelow, doink d klown, tupak bishi, amaru ba la oshi, shakur loooooooooooo.

Hmmmmmmmm, can you explain that
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Tonyet1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 22, 2008
mysery my brother, mystery!

Bro.Dios can we chat, if you are interested meet me on sypakv@yahoo.com

God bless you!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Kuns: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2008
Receiving The Holy Ghost

Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue."

They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them. I have no qualms with this, if the Holy Spirit is truly bestowed upon them. One may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages).

Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Sapphic: 4:09am On Feb 05, 2009
nay_low:

Here we go with the ignorant Nigerian mentality o! There is speaking in tongues and speaking gibberish and Nigerians have mistaken incoherent babble for the language of the holy ghost.

I remember watching the most false of prophets called Anwuzia (Zoe Ministries) some years ago on TV where he went into one 'iski ribababa bobobo' and I thought he was joking until a cousin said he was speaking in tongues. I coud not believe it. But then in a land of gullibles little wonder Nigerians and there money are easily parted.

speaking in tongues ko, speaking in nose ni

ROFLMAO

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Pastor Loses Election In Anambra, Faints / Revenge: Are You For Or Against? / Paul Enenche On Leah Sharibu: Enough Of The Bloodshed In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.